Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Anybody know a good chant for any time?

When I feel angry I like to chant things and it actually makes me feel good. My favorite one goes like this "Zee-shna zee-shna"

I learned it from Alan Watts lecture.

lobster

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Taya Teh OM Bekandzeh Bekandzeh, Maha Bekandzeh Radza samuhd Gate Soha

Blue Medicine Buddha mantra. Heals all known ills....
    anataman
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Namo Tassa baghavato sammo-sambhudasa

"Homage to the blessed one, the worthy one, the rightly self awakened one"
    FaustrimInvincible_summer
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    Oh @federica my ears are ringing with your dulcet tones. I was wondering what to do for meditation exercise tonight. You have signed sealed and delivered!

But first I've gotta make some pancakes. No joke I am making pancakes because that's what my kids asked for breakfast tomorrow!

And I don't want to get up at 5:30!
    Oh goodness me?

Recite 30 times
  • When I am angry, I desperately need to feel compassion for the person who makes me angry so I chant Heart Dharani mantra (is also called The Great Compassion mantra). When I am frightened, sick, sad, addicted, ignorant... I need compassion from Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva so I chant Heart Dharani mantra. When I feel guilty I need to pray to Avalokiteshvara bodhisattva badly so I chant Heart Dharani. When I am happy I chant Heart Dharani mantra naturally. When I need to calm down, I chant Heart Dharani mantra. It's the only mantra that I chant. And I chant it in any situation.

It's the only mantra I ever need. It's a bit long, it took me many months to memorize the whole mantra but it's great!
    lobsterBunksanataman
    cvalue said:

When I am angry, I desperately need to feel compassion for the person who makes me angry so I chant Heart Dharani mantra (is also called The Great Compassion mantra). When I am frightened, sick, sad, addicted, ignorant... I need compassion from Avalokiteshvara Bodhisattva so I chant Heart Dharani mantra. When I feel guilty I need to pray to Avalokiteshvara bodhisattva badly so I chant Heart Dharani. When I am happy I chant Heart Dharani mantra naturally. When I need to calm down, I chant Heart Dharani mantra. It's the only mantra that I chant. And I chant it in any situation.

It's the only mantra I ever need. It's a bit long, it took me many months to memorize the whole mantra but it's great!

Wow, I've never been to a buddhist pop concert but Will I Am, if you are listening tonight, you might benefit from this most beautiful heartfelt recitation.

@cvalue 1000 blessings to you. I pray for Avolokiteshvara bodhisattva to liberate me completely.

Any one that brings tears of joy and negates my tears of suffering are deserving of this humbling reflection. I hope to see value in it. :bowdown:

Mettha xxx

cvalue
  • I love them all, even ALLAH AKBAR Cod is Greater.

However specific Buddhist mantra
    the sanskrit version OM MANI PEME HUM
    my mantra which calls my dharmakaya from the future - OM YA HA HUM

I also like to learn them
    http://www.lama-tsongkhapa.com/migtsema/
    Here is what me and a moth learned

or Guru Rinpoche

mostly I use the mantrayana from vajrayana

cvalue
    You haven't finished yet! Je comprendre
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    "gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha"

From the Heart sutra. You can do it pretty much anywhere. :)
    lobsterVastmindcvalue
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    seeker242 said:

I used to do mantra accumulations as I was walking to work...got some pretty strange looks though ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    anataman said:

You haven't finished yet! Je comprendre

'Comprendre' is the verb.
    'Je comprends' is the conjugation, 1st person singular.

Shoot me now....

anatamanInvincible_summer
    edited February 2014
    I shall spare you as you have spared me!

I hadn't finished @federica. I suddenly had a eureka moment, and went internet fishing but stupidly posted the comment, before getting back within the 15 minute editing window. Ah. It's those little mistakes that make us human

I should have said: je comprends pas le hoard.

Why is the editing window only 15 minutes? Is it a cooling off period so you can have a little think about what you've said, and repent, and give you a chance to retract, or restate those foolish things you said. Nice touch... but not too long so you can catch the real hotheads out ;)
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    My Zen teacher's teacher made up a good hip-pocket chant: NAMU DAI BOSA (I take refuge in the great bodhisattva).
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

seeker242 said:

I used to do mantra accumulations as I was walking to work...got some pretty strange looks though ;)
    I personally don't say it out loud, LOL :)

lobster
  • I personally don't say it out loud, LOL
    Aloud is best done where appropriate. I like aloud but don't do Buddhist mantra on a bus or in Church aloud.
    I like barely audible mantra because it gives the best indication of the state of the breath and hence the mind . . .

Here is mantrayana for the sutra crowd
    http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra02.html
    cvalue
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    seeker242 said:

seeker242 said:

I personally don't say it out loud, LOL :)

Oh, I do. I think of the vajrasattva mantra as a Buddhist marching song. ;)

lobstercvalue

• Oh, I do. I think of the vajrasattva mantra as a Buddhist marching song. ;)

Onward, Dharma soldiers, sitting as to woah,
    with the cross arisings going on before.
    Buddha royal Master, leads with the flow;
    forward into metta see your barriers go!

Original:

Onward, Christian soldiers, marching as to war,
    with the cross of Jesus going on before.
    Christ, the royal Master, leads against the foe;
    forward into battle see his banners go!
    anatamancvalue
    lobster said:

I personally don't say it out loud, LOL
    Aloud is best done where appropriate. I like aloud but don't do Buddhist mantra on a bus or in Church aloud.
    I like barely audible mantra because it gives the best indication of the state of the breath and hence the mind . . .

Here is mantrayana for the sutra crowd
    http://www.sutrasmantras.info/sutra02.html

I don't like to vomit!
    cvalue
  • B good, B good, B good!
    lobster
  • zsczsc Explorer
    edited February 2014
    The name of any Buddha and/or Boddhisattva (I personally chant the names of Amida and Gwanseum), and/or the Pali chant "Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahto Samma Sambuddhasa". Note: in Pali, the "v" is pronounced like "w", like in Latin.
    edited March 2014

OM

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Namo Tassa baghavato sammo-sambhudasa

"Homage to the blessed one, the worthy one, the rightly self awakened one"

I like to do this for an "any time" chant as well.

Bunks
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2014

May the heart's awareness waken in the unawakened

Where it has begun to stir may it never fade

And may it awaken fully

anataman
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    A good chant for any time???

tick tock, tick tock.
    Invincible_summerlobsterVastmind
  • Tick . . . no tock . . . for the Zen purists . . .

One I like a lot and it took me five weeks to learn (I keeping chanting until instinctual) because the chant can be done on one out breath by the end (or if relaxed from the start)

http://www.quietmountain.org/links/teachings/7_Line_Prayer_To_Guru_Rinpoche/7lnpryr.ham

• Gayatri Mantra -Deva Premal

anataman