Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Magazines

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator
edited March 2014 in Arts & Writings

I picked up at a used bookstore some older copies of Shambhala Sun and BuddhaDharma. I am aware of Tricycle as well. Are these the 3 main Buddhist-related magazines? Are any of them worth subscribing to? I found things of value in both the titles I picked up. I have seen some really negative things floating around online about Tricycle and I've read a lot of what Arun at angryasianbuddhist.com has to say. I'm wondering what you guys think? Are there others I didn't list? What do you think of them?

VastmindLinc

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Good question. :) I like Tricycle, myself. I just pick one up once in
    awhile when I go to B&N.....and they have about 3-4 others....I can't
    remember the names though. Hubby and I sit and make a date
    night out of looking thru mags there, hahaha

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran

I've yet to find any buddhist publication or "news" websites that I really connect with. I think maybe its just that I feel they cover more drama and less dhamma.

Im aware of those mentioned and will be looking for other recommendations.

BunksKundo
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

The only Buddhist magazine I read regularly these days is The Middle Way, the journal of the London based Buddhist Society. The glossies such as Shambhala Sun and Tricycle seem to have gone more generalist and lightweight in the past few years although I do still pick up the odd Tricycle if there is a good article in it.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

SS and Tricycle kind of remind me of a Buddhist Oprah magazine, same kind of style. BuddhaDharma I like because it's more of a scholarly type of journal but I don't know very much about it, as far as who produces it or anything. Should be easy enough to find out I suppose. I appreciate everyone's input.

• I have intermittently read issues of Shambhala Sun over the last few years, and less so Tri Cycle. I have greatly enjoyed many articles in both of them, but usually I need a particular article to persuade me to buy the magazine. Certainly there are pieces in them that I gloss over, but I've never been sorry I bought an issue, and have greatly enjoyed numerous articles over the years. The commercial or populist tone isn't offputting to me, as I tend when reading magazines like these to feel that I am communing with the freelance writer.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I would probably just pick up what I found interesting but the nearest book store that sells them is a 2 hour drive from here, lol. I do have the local used bookstore on the watch in case more used copies of any of them come in :)

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited March 2014

I have subscribed to Trycicle for many years. The online "retreats"/videos are, to me, well worth the subscription price.

• @karasti said:
    I picked up at a used bookstore some older copies of Shambhala Sun and BuddhaDharma. I am aware of Tricycle as well. Are these the 3 main Buddhist-related magazines? Are any of them worth subscribing to? I found things of value in both the titles I picked up. I have seen some really negative things floating around online about Tricycle and I've read a lot of what Arun at angryasianbuddhist.com has to say. I'm wondering what you guys think? Are there others I didn't list? What do you think of them?

Haven't heard of these magazines. Have to read them myself to know if they are worthwhile. Ditto

My Hubby says he likes Mountain Record. It's Zen, for anyone interested.

http://dharma.net/mountainrecord/

...... :) ........

• Lama Shenpen Hookham has a roughly biweekly mailing of her Q and A with students. I haven't got e-mails for awhile but I get them on facebook.

• NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran

Vajra Bodhi Sea (VBS) is a Monthly Journal of Orthodox Buddhism.

http://www.cttbusa.org/vbs/cttbvbs.asp#

I saw one today I hadn't seen before...It's Mindful Magazine.

To be honest, I flipped through pretty quick, but it seems to be general, AFA I didn't see a lot of formal Buddhist teachings. Exercises and articles on how/ways to be mindful. Some meditation articles also.....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Monthly Journal of Orthodox Buddhism.

"Orthodox Buddhism" sounds, uh, intriguing.