Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• ZaylZayl Veteran

@robot awesome! got any tips for a beginner?

• robotrobot Veteran

@Zayl
    Most of what I can tell you, you likely already know unless you get to Asia, then I could tell you all sorts of useful stuff.

Anywhere we ride we have to be present and alert all the time. If your mind starts to wander, get off the road as soon as you can. Remember how easy it is to get killed and don't get cocky.

In Asia the car drivers are more conscious of motorbikes because there are so many of them, and no one cares if you split lanes, go the wrong way on the shoulder or anything that you can get away with. Motorbikes always get to the front of the line at traffic lights. Road rage is almost non existent. Still though, motorbikes are just ahead of pedestrians and bicycles in the pecking order. You have to remember your place. Small, light machines work really well on most of the roads. On the freeway near any big Asian city, any size bike is deadly without tons of experience.

In North America you can't trust the cars for a minute. Always expect them to not see you. Don't take your eyes off them when passing or being passed. Some drivers don't like motorcyclists. Others will try to bait you. I admit to falling for the challenge more than once. Best to stay away from all of them.

A more powerful bike is a must for staying ahead of traffic on the highway over here. Putting some distance between you and the cars. If you have to go excessively fast, do it where there is no traffic and good pavement.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Madame Citta planted earthenware pots with narcissus bulbs last autumn and now the balcony is wreathed with little yellow flowers like dabs of sunshine. They are lifting their perfume into the air.
    Beyond them the Thames is shimmering in the spring light.

lobsterVastmindBunks
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2014

A friend on pilgrimage says that each National group have been given their own group caps to wear...Everyone else is wearing theirs.
    The Brits have been given one too...but none of the group will wear it.

Good old us. lol. Typical.

For anyone puzzled by the British semi-detached attitude to the E.U...there's the clue, right there...

• Near to me they have been cutting down and shredding in blossom cherry trees.
    In feudal Japan they would be executed by imperial command.

Today the same guys have been planting in flower new trees.
    First there is a cherry tree, then no cherry tree, then blossom.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Heading off to my first practicum as a Physical Therapy assistant tomorrow morning! 4 weeks in high-intensity rehab... hope I make it out in one piece!

JeffreylobsterDaftChrisanataman
  • @Invincible_summer said:
    Heading off to my first practicum as a Physical Therapy assistant tomorrow morning! 4 weeks in high-intensity rehab... hope I make it out in one piece!

hope we all have time in our puja, mantraing, dedication of merit etc to send your way. My morning meditation dedicated to your efforts. Bravo.

Invincible_summer
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited March 2014

I made a large pressure cookers worth of fragrant chicken noodle soup. I have just had a bowlful with sourdough bread.

Just right on a cold spring day.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

My 4 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome. I have been doing a fair bit of reading up on it. Fascinating! She will start therapy soon.

Anyone else know people or perhaps are thos way themselves? I am loath to call it a disorder as I think it is just a difference I.e. you have brown eyes and I have blue eyes.

DharmaMcBum
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2014

The family reunion wrapped up last night with a Mom and Son dance. I danced so hard and long, my thighs are killing me today! Never left the dance floor. .. :rocker: ..
    We all had a blast!

I just got back from dropping everyone off at the airport.
    I'll be feeling sad today. ... :( ...

I'll be with Mr Cushion if anyone needs me .................... :bawl: ......

lobsterBunks
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

I am happy as my sore throat after about two weeks finally improved in time for my GCSE drama assessment. I'm getting feedback and my grade today, hoping it's all good.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2014

Good luck @TheEccentric‌.
    Sounds like @Vastmind you had a great time. Dancing with your cushion. Smoochy . . .

I 'accidentally' bought myself a new Buddha statuette . . . will post a pic soon enough . . .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I shall be leaving NB after today. I have too much on my plate to cope with, and trust you will all behave yourselves for Jason, Lincoln and Brian.
    With Metta. Be well.

anataman
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Yup I nearly bought it. Well done.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Hmmmmm...

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@federica‌

You'll be missed.

Vastmind
    edited April 2014

@federica said:
    I shall be leaving NB after today. I have too much on my plate to cope with, and trust you will all behave yourselves for Jason, Lincoln and Brian.
    With Metta. Be well.

What in the biscuit? ... :eek: ... I hope this announcement is meadow muffins.

Edit: Oh great...now a thread 'seeing them go..' ....I'm about to press my pants.

If it's real..... Thank you Aunt Fede for everything! Come back when the plate has some space.... ... :) ... (((((sqeeeeeze))))

@Vastmind said:
    If it's real..... Thank you Aunt Fede for everything! Come back when the plate has some space.... ... :) ... (((((sqeeeeeze))))

Look at the date this post was made......coincidence?

Vastmind

@TheEccentric said:
    I am happy as my sore throat after about two weeks finally improved in time for my GCSE drama assessment. I'm getting feedback and my grade today, hoping it's all good.

Good luck @TheEccentric - let us know how you went (if you want to of course!)

@Bunks said:
    Look at the date this post was made......coincidence?

Not sure ... :wtf: ... See the Pope thread. lololol

I admit to using the chance though to show her I could react and/or comment without using cuss words...lolololol. And I would feel just awful if it was true and I said nothing....so better safe than be sugar out of luck. ... :D ...

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2014

Now that - is how you play an April Fool.
    It has to hold a credible modicum of potentially true information.

No guys - still here.
    But I'll be completely honest with you - such is the amount of shittola liberally being muck-spread in my life right now, circumstances may have to dictate an enforced.... sabbatical.
    No matter.
    It does actually take a whole load more than I'm currently getting, to keep this old war-horse down.

Nice to see you cussless, @Vastmind...... :p Question is.... Can you keep it up?

VastmindBunks
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Good luck TheEccentric - let us know how you went (if you want to of course!)

I was one mark of an A grade which was bit annoying but still alright.

@TheEccentric said:
    I was one mark of an A grade which was bit annoying but still alright.

That sounds good! Well done.

VastmindStraight_Man
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

We have just had the sofa professionally cleaned..

It yielded

two combs

two lip-salves one peach flavoured, one mint

four pens

a knife

and a form that I thought I had posted weeks ago.

I asked the chap what the most bizarre thing he had recovered was.

He replied laconically

" We get a lot of sex toys. I just leave them on the nearest table and say nothing ".

jayneBunks

@Citta, that's ridiculous.
    What - no money? No money at all?
    The cleaner is a thief.

STOP HIM!!

anatamanperson
  • CittaCitta Veteran

I hadn't thought of that.....hmm.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I did a little meditation on @federicas avatar - its really cool!

Where did you get the image from fed?

From here

Buddha Mind/Enlightenment has been described like a clear blue sky completely unobscured by any hindrances (clouds).... I'm working on even getting to the avatar-state of things!

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

Today the Sahara dust which has blanketed much of South East England for the last two days ( yes really ) has blown away and I can see Shepperton Village ( where the film studio is ) from our balcony...which is nice.

Have you fed that camel yet....? They spit if they get mad, you know.......

• CittaCitta Veteran

Did you get the dust @federica ? Is wasn't too bad in Surrey..but the car looked like it had been done up in camouflage paint .

No, nothing.... I can't help but feel we missed out.....Bedfordshire obviously has a low dust-rating.....

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited April 2014

I'm in SE London and I've had to clean the cars, windows etc, everything has been covered in a fine orange dust...

Thats the 'butterfly effect' butterfly flapping it's wings in the rainforest caused a sand-storm in the sahara, which caused me to wash cars and windows. How do I get someone to find and deal with that bloody butterfly.

• CittaCitta Veteran

Weird thought isn't it ? The desert dropping in on a visit.

Tea, anyone? I have a Bedouin tent we can occupy....

• CittaCitta Veteran

hookahs ?

you'll have to have your sexual appetite sated elsewhere.....

CittaVastmindBunks
  • CittaCitta Veteran

:)

• CittaCitta Veteran

Off tomorrow for a 6 day retreat near Puglia in Italy..

Metta to all in the meantime.

Bunks

^^^ Metta to you............ Kemosabe. ... :) ...

Don't do anything I would do, hahahaha

@Citta said:
    Off tomorrow for a 6 day retreat near Puglia in Italy..

Metta to all in the meantime.

Buon viaggio!

I visited another buddhist website today, to see what kinds of discussions they had on offer.
    Jeesh, I have to confess, I found the participants so 'up themselves' I really wondered if anyone ever had fun on there.... humour seemed to be at a decided minimum....

This site may be quite liberal in its approach to discussions, dhamma content, teachings and whatnot - but at least we can have a laugh now and then!

BunkslobsterToraldrisanataman
  • Sometimes looking for the cure for constipation is the problem . . .

Bunks

I felt like posting this on the relevant website, but I'd be banished to the Hell-realm in an instant.....

lobsterVastmindTheEccentric

Back to full time at work! (does a happy dance)

I'll be able to start knocking the medical bills off one at a time, and I'm determined to take good care of myself. With the extra money, I called yesterday and scheduled a mini massage for once a week for the next 6 months! I'll also be able to afford the gas for more monastery trips! I'll be working a 2nd shift so after everyone left yesterday, while on break, I enjoyed a nice walking meditation around the grounds. I made a post it note to schedule a walk too when work pressure gets too much.
    I'm feeling pretty good about it.

Metta to me!

thegoldeneternityBunksTheEccentriclobster
  • Metta to me!

Indeed :)

The best place to start. Happy for you.

BunksVastmind
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

Just back from retreating among the banks of sweet Italy...misty murky light is the downside.
    The upside is the first decent mug of tea since last Saturday. :)

Update...the sun is now pouring down like honey on the Thames..

• CittaCitta Veteran

Back to Italy next month for part two of the retreat..By which time my legs might have unstiffened...