Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope Francis recommends Buddhist Meditation

Pope Francis admits to using 'Buddhist meditation techniques' as part of his morning prayer regime. New papal bull promises to introduce cross faith service with Islam. Pope declares 'new direction' for Roman Catholicism.

I am in shock. It is all over the news. Is this the end of the papacy or the second coming - the Maityreya age? Will post links shortly, it is breaking news . . .

anataman

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    edited April 2014

This post has obscured the actual news that the Dalai Lama has been received into the Catholic church..

The Times Of India describes the exiled Tibetan population to be 'in deep shock '

hhtl.t.o.i.com.ind/hhdl

anataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Happy April fool's day everyone.

pegembaraBunks
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Oh @federica, you have destroyed what could have been a fun thread!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

"Bless me father as I have sinned, it has been 45 years since my last confession.." :p

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@anataman said:
    Oh federica, you have destroyed what could have been a fun thread!

First of all, it would have necessitated people actually believe the statement. Trust me, if I saw through the ruse - so would everyone else.
    Really, because 'False Speech' is one of the main Buddhist Grounds for unskilful action - we're going to have to get better at this foolin' malarkey!!

• :)
    Must try harder,
    . . . where is that cushion when you need him . . .

Attention, attention, attention . . .

If you have a non-Flash device eg. Ipad, click on download, otherwise listen . . .
    About an hour of attention required . . .
    http://dharmaseed.org/teacher/134/talk/3052/

edited April 2014

I didn't immediately @federica :scratch: . I was waiting for 5 minutes for the links, before I realised the date. lol. I'm the fool. :dunce: yep I admit it.

lobster
  • @anataman said:
    I didn't immediately federica :scratch: . I was waiting for 5 minutes for the links, before I realised the date. lol. I'm the fool. :D yep I admit it.

Gothcha!
    [Lobster finds cushion and does an April Fool Jig]

( ¬‿¬)

NB: no Buddhists were harmed in the production of this True/False Speech thread

anatamanBuddhadragonvinlynBunks
  • DakiniDakini Veteran

@federica said:
    Happy April fool's day everyone.

Oh, thanks! whew I was really starting to wonder.

• Aspiring_BuddhistAspiring_Buddhist Seeker of the Buddha Within WA Veteran

@lobster I thought it was real! Pope Francis is actually a pretty cool Pope.

I like this picture of St Francis, however, it has a hand making the Karana Mudra in the upper right hand corner - a buddhist gesture that expels demons. lol

Invincible_summer
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Namaste,

In all seriousness, the Jesuits (of which Pope Francis is one of) have a practice of a walking meditation which is very akin to Zen. In fact, in "The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything" by James Martin he goes into great detail about it.

I have found the Jesuit's approach to God is quite similar to Buddhism, except that they A) believe in God and B) consider Jesus as the Son of God.

I quite like Pope Francis myself. I think he's really trying to bring Christianity (well Catholicism at least) back into line withe Jesus' teachings. I think he'll need a food taster though :P

sndymornBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2014

I think he is cool, in a Catholic sort of way. Just above the 'round bit' of his sepulchre you can see a Buddha meditating.

http://www.johnhorgan.org/a_modern_catholic_mystic_15277.htm
    . . . Wait a minute . . . it might be true after all . . . Holy transubstantiation Banataman . . . :eek: :hair:

Kundo
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

Hey, the Pope meditates every single day of his life. We just don't tell the Catholics we know. St Teresa's Seven Mansions have nothing to do with the jhanas either, at least officially.

In other news, this morning, I got Saved. Finally. I'm not sure it will help.

Vastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    Namaste,

In all seriousness, the Jesuits (of which Pope Francis is one of) have a practice of a walking meditation which is very akin to Zen. In fact, in "The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything" by James Martin he goes into great detail about it.

I have found the Jesuit's approach to God is quite similar to Buddhism, except that they A) believe in God and B) consider Jesus as the Son of God.

I quite like Pope Francis myself. I think he's really trying to bring Christianity (well Catholicism at least) back into line withe Jesus' teachings. I think he'll need a food taster though :P

Jesuits have a history of being very open-minded. Probably TOO open-minded for the Catholic Church. Jesuit missionaries all over the world were well-known for trying to establish bonds with the countries where they were sent: learning the language, getting to know the culture, treating aborigenes as the human beings they were (the film "The Mission" pops to mind).
    They were responsible for the first sketches of translations of the I Ching or the Tao Te King that were introduced in Europe.
    In her memories, Alexandra David Neel mentions that she loved to discuss with Jesuit missionaries because they were so cultured and the only Christians who never tried to drag her back to "the one and only religion."
    In Catholic circles, nobody believed a Jesuit father would ever be chosen Pope. He's already making waves in the Church.
    Like you say @dhammachick, he needs a food taster.

Kundoanataman
  • All jokes aside, April Fools' or otherwise, I think Pope Francis is pretty cool and progressive. In fact, I think he's heading the Catholic Church in a direction that could make his stuck-in-dogma predecessors spin in their catacombs like rotisserie chickens. I don't think these new directions are such a bad thing.

Kundoanataman