Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation lying down

For health reasons I meditated lying down for about eight months. I found it worked very well.

Since January I have been meditating in a more conventional cross-legged position.

Is it really important to sit cross-legged or am I just fine doing it laid down (corpse pose) on my bed. I understand that for some people this may cause them to fall asleep, but I found I never did fall asleep or even feel drowsy.

Any advice?

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2014

My advice is do what works.

If someone was bedridden or you met the young lady at my Temple that comes in a wheel chair.....would you tell her she is doing it wrong?

People fall asleep all the time sitting up, BTW...

I've seen groups that fall over like dominoe's at the monastery...hahaha

The 'perfect' set up will never happen. You should to learn how to meditate anywhere and anyhow. Conditions have called for me to sit, lay, stand.....and walk. .. ;) ..

lobsterBunks
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran

Some people say sitting cross-legged is important, some other say do whatever suits you. You must decide if your practice will follow more or less strict rules.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Do whatever distracts you least. Some people also do walking meditation, so, no sitting still there! There are different means of 'bringing the Mind Home' (as Sogyal Rinpoche puts it) or staying in the 'Present Moment Wonderful Moment!' (TNH...) so I think trying different methods, but sticking PRIMARILY to what brings you personally, the best results - is best for you.

lobster
  • @Yorkshireman said:
    For health reasons I meditated lying down for about eight months. I found it worked very well.

Since January I have been meditating in a more conventional cross-legged position.

Is it really important to sit cross-legged or am I just fine doing it laid down (corpse pose) on my bed. I understand that for some people this may cause them to fall asleep, but I found I never did fall asleep or even feel drowsy.

Any advice?

Maybe, there must be a reason for sitting down meditation like keeping us alert. I have heard that the best time to meditate is in the morning, probably that has to do with some energy. Maybe, sitting down would have some reason to that effect, like opening up chakras etc. I don't really know. Just guessing. :D

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You most certainly don't have to sit cross-legged (or sit at all). If you WANT to sit cross-legged, putting a cushion or pillow under your butt will help the comfort a bit (as well as something under your ankles). You can also sit in a chair. Or lay down. If you know it works for you, there is no reason to change it.

• wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited April 2014

The mind has a tendency to follow the body. When sitting upright, the thoughts tend to sprout from the act of sitting upright . When walking, thoughts tends to fall back and think about the act of walking. I prefer sitting because it tends to bring my mind to the act of "sitting", as how I want my mind to be, and not restlessly wandering. I have difficulty meditating lying down as my mind is not yet strong enough to overcome the pleasant feelings of comfort in the sense of touch. That is wonderful if you can do that though.

BuddhadragonKeyouselobster
  • atiyanaatiyana Explorer

@Yorkshireman said:

Any advice?

This reminds me of a story I read years ago of a conversation between two Indian dyana teachers (if I remember correctly), one said that he teaches his students to sit and to avoid lying down at all costs, thinking this meant his students were strict and disciplined. The other retorted how he teaches his students to only practice while lying down as the main practice, because people die lying down and not sitting up.

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2014

I practise yoga and yoga sessions are always ended with a meditation in the corpse pose (lying down). The risk of lying down is you might doze off. Happened to everyone in the class at least once.:)
    I prefer sitting for my formal meditation practice because it makes me more attentive, but also add a lying meditation as I go down to sleep and before getting up every day.
    You don't need to sit down cross-legged anyway. As long as you are sitting, you can try any variation that you find comfortable for you.
    What matters is to find a position that you find conducive to mindfulness and awareness.
    That's all.

anataman
  • atiyanaatiyana Explorer

@dharmamom said:
    What matters is to find a position that you find conducive to mindfulness and awareness.

In most cases yes indeed, however in Tantrayana there are significant differences, in that the energy moves differently lying down then sitting up with your hips above your knees. So there are differences in how practice must be undertaken if for example one is bedridden but still intent on practicing Tantrayana. With that said, as far as I understand, certain attainments cannot be had lying down, specifically relating to drawing in extremely active energy into the central channel as well as the reverse emissions.

With that said I completely agree with your general sentiment.

lobster

Well, if our friend @Yorkshireman is not in the fast lane towards Enlightenment, and for health reasons prefers lying down, or variations in his sitting posture, he'll be doing just fine, @atiyana.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

...There's a 'fast lane'.... ? I'm getting my Ferrari 420 out of the garage!

edited April 2014

My neighbour has a similar Ferrari and I doubt he even knows what Enlightenment is, least of all be any nearer to it!:)

• Thanks for that input. Some good points have been raised.

It isn't so much for health reasons that I need to do it laying down anymore, although my muscles are still a bit weak and I think that impacts on the sitting, but only slightly.

It is just that when I did it lying down I seemed to be able to focus better in terms of acknowledging distractions and being able to put them to one side. Or if doing analytical meditation I seemed to be able to focus better.

I suppose there's nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit and doing some sitting meditation and some laying meditation. I also want to add walking meditation shortly so that should really mix things up a bit :-)

I suppose the most important thing is that I do it daily, and if doing it laying down enables that then that's what I'll have to do. And it does seem as though the majority of views above feel that is okay.

I must say, I have found this forum to be a wonderful place. I felt I was on this path alone (apart from going to my Buddhism classes once a week), but now I feel like I have a little virtual Sangha.

Thanks again!

BuddhadragonVastmind

It's your go to make the tea......

edited April 2014

37 of them - 9 with no milk, 22 of them with no sugar, 6 of them with one sugar, nine with two......and one of them with a small tot of whisky.
    @dharmamom loves her whisky.....

BuddhadragonlobsterVastmind
  • @atiyana good story. The Buddha is shown lying on his side, during which time he exhibited enlightened mind.

Circus meditation posturing, mindful juggling etc is not required for enlightenment. I was sitting in a chair looking at a computer screen when my unfolding reached its lotus stage.

The important thing is attentive calm, not relaxed stupor.

I luvs my cushion . . .

wangchueyBuddhadragon

@federica said:
    37 of them - 9 with no milk, 22 of them with no sugar, 6 of them with one sugar, nine with two......and one of them with a small tot of whisky.
    dharmamom loves her whisky.....

No whisky, @federica, for me! Baileys!!!

even better! leave the milk out of hers too, @Yorkshireman - !

Buddhadragon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Yorkshireman said:

Which of the two have you found most productive?

anataman
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Which of the two have you found most productive?

That is a good question. I've had some breakthroughs whilst seated, but often reach a deeper, more relaxed and more mindful state when laid down. Oddly, there have been times when I have been laid down that I have had a sort of etheric energy pass through me from the head downwards. I don't know what that was.

I would say don't lie so close to the electric socket.... but my own personal theory barmy as it may be, has something to do with Chi, or Qi.... But that may be too 'fantastic' for people to consider, so I'll shut up.

And tell you to move away from the socket.

• @federica said:
    dharmamom loves her whisky.....

Lol! I've run out of virtual cups!

There are more in the virtual cupboard next to the virtual sink - or there are a few in the virtual drainer....! This could go on for, virtually, ever!! :D

YorkshiremanBuddhadragon
  • @federica said:
    but my own personal theory barmy as it may be, has something to do with Chi, or Qi.... But that may be too 'fantastic' for people to consider, so I'll shut up.

I agree with you completely. It was an almost tangible form of energy. It has only happened a couple of times, maybe three, and it wasn't something I could replicate on demand. I understand it can be a good thing to have energy move down the body from the head, and from a Buddhist perspective I feel that this mind/heart and body connection has got to be a good thing.

federica
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Yorkshireman said:
    That is a good question. I've had some breakthroughs whilst seated, but often reach a deeper, more relaxed and more mindful state when laid down. Oddly, there have been times when I have been laid down that I have had a sort of etheric energy pass through me from the head downwards. I don't know what that was.

I'd be inclined to do what works best for you. Or you could alternate.