Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism too hard?

Now that I realise that being a Buddhist is too hard, what to do?

I quite like my cushion fetish, chanting mantras etc but all that right speech, precepts (no chance to be judgemental or trivial etc) . . .

. . . maybe I could aim to be a bad or mediocre Buddhist?

I think I have a plan:

• stay on NewBuddhist to be inspired by the more able and committed
  • be occasionally a bit kinder but not over do it
  • buy another Buddha doll

. . . I think that is enough for now

What is your plan?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's NOT difficult.
    Not at all.

In fact, it's really Simple.

('Simple', not meaning 'easy' of course, as I am often wont to say....)

My plan?

One Minute at a time.
    Make it a good one, then on to the next.

YorkshiremanBarraBumbles
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

If we really understand what Buddhism is all about (I know: not two people will agree on that one :eek2: ), being a Buddhist is not difficult at all.

If we view Buddhism as a psychological/spiritual method that can help us improve our living experience, help us attain a decent degree of happiness/and/or/inner peace, and learn how to handle afflictions/frustrations more effectively, it is super-easy.
    Simply dwell in the here and now and make the most of every second. Do what's best for you and for the people around you. Baby steps, moment by moment, enough thinking with plenty of action.

If we begin to pile up unrealistic expectations like escaping from suffering, controlling feelings and people, being the next Buddha and getting enlightened five seconds ago, I bet it will be a tad bit difficult.

lobsterbookwormmmo
  • poptartpoptart Veteran

@lobster said:

I don't think you could if you tried.

lobster
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@lobster said:
    Now that I realise that being a Buddhist is too hard, what to do?

Whatever you like.

You once posted somewhere that you weren't a Buddhist - one of your silly, self-indulgent rants, I suppose - but I believed you (for some equally silly reason, I'm sure). So seeing as you're not a Buddhist kinda makes the point moot. What does it matter how hard it is to be a Buddhist, when you're not a Buddhist in the first place.

I quite like my cushion fetish, chanting mantras etc but all that right speech, precepts (no chance to be judgemental or trivial etc) . . .

But none of that is "being" a Buddhist. Most Buddhists aren't sexually aroused by their meditstion cushion.

You have to be a Buddhist in order to be a bad or mediochre one.

I think I have a plan:

Me too.

What is your plan?

It's my birthday. In a couple hours I'm going to a cars and coffee meet up in Lafayete. After that I'm going to get the oil changed on the Miata. Then I'm going to test drive a car I can't afford - like this:

Then we're going to drive over Berthoud Pass and go to the spa at Hot Sulphur Springs, soak a lot, smoke some totally legal kindness, get lucky maybe. Watch trout leaping on the Colorado River (a veritable salmonid cotillion).

Sadly there is no Waffle House on that route.

Somewhere in there I'm gonna call my mom, kiss my wife (a lot) and kick the dog.....nah, I won't kick the dog.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:
    What is your plan?

Stroll on mindfully and not binge on ice-cream too often... :0

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Under what circumstances did you have this....realization?

Who is more able and committed than you?

Me?

"one minute at a time" ..... "stroll on mindfully" ...I'm sticking to those.... :) ..

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Chaz said: (A lot.)

Well that was a bit brash and in-your face. Some of it, totally unnecessary.

Happy Birthday.
    Have a good time. Don't let the knob hit ya where the dog... and all that.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2014

well, i am not a buddhist, rather i am a hindu, so i can just chill out on this thread and just relax. already there are enough problems in life, felt relaxed that the above problems don't relate to me - da d d da da ... :rocker: ...

@Chaz: Happy birthday to you.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2014

I've already said this to Chaz before...you guys party too hard for me...hahaha.

Cheerleaders from the start....then a b-day party breaks out....sports car style,.....Now the musical interlude with guitar....hahaha....Feels like Saturday night...

BTW...I love the hash browns at waffle house! .. :) ..

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

There is some question in my mind about whether it is harder to practice Buddhism or not-practice it. I'm honestly not sure.

lobsterHamsaka
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2014

This is just a Lobster molting.

What you call hard, is actually just the cyclical vulnerability that accompanies each move from one heart size to the larger.

BuddhadragonpersonHamsakaVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@how said:
    This is just a Lobster molting.

What you call hard, is actually just the cyclical vulnerability that accompanies each move from one heart size to the larger.

He so kind to me!

Must be a real Buddhist . . . inspiring . . .

• wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited May 2014

Difficult can be one of the words to describe it, but what about the other possible, more positive words that could describe the path as well...fun, adventure, quest, journey, voyage, expedition...etc. I'm sure you can add some more better words here. Inspiring..there ya go :)

lobsterBuddhadragonbookworm
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

As to hard and easy and FWIW, here's Ta Hui (a Zen Buddhist teacher, 1088-1163) to Hsu Tun-chi:

As a gentleman of affairs, your study of the Path differs greatly from mine as a homeleaver. Leavers of home do not serve their parents, and abandon all their relatives for good. With one jug and one bowl, in daily activities according to circumstances, there are not so many enemies to obstruct the Path. With one mind and one intent (homeleavers) just investigate this affair thoroughly. But when a gentleman of affairs opens his eyes and is mindful of what he sees, there is nothing that is not an enemy spirit blocking the Path. If he has wisdom, he makes his meditational effort there. As Vimalakirti said, "The companions of passion are the progenitors of the Tathagatas. I fear that people will destroy the worldly aspect to seek the real aspect." ....

If you can penetrate through right here, as those three elders, Yang Wen-kung, Li Wen-ho, and Chan Wu-chin did, your power will surpass that of us leavers of home by twentyfold. What's the reason? We leavers of home are on the outside breaking in; gentlemen of affairs are on the inside breaking out. The power of one on the outside breaking in is weak; the power of one on the inside breaking out is strong. "Strong" means that what is opposed is heavy, so in overturning it there is power. "Weak" means what is opposed is light, so in overturning it there is little power. Though there is strong and weak in terms of power, what is opposed is the same.

-- Swampland Flowers: The Letters and Lectures of Zen Master Ta Hui. Tr. Christopher Cleary. Grove Press 1977

Invincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

thanks guys, thanks @genkaku‌,

This whole thread is about labelling. Hard and easy, Buddhist vagabond, esteemed monk and so on . . .

The Path is something everyone is on. Most people are heedless or ignorant of this situation. They are ensnared by easy living, difficult grandmothers, moulting crustaceans and overstuffed cushions . . . and similar.

As we progress through life, the universe and everything, quite naturally, we progress or get stuck. Very fortunate are those who have the opportunity to realise this potential. Some are Buddhists, some mystics, some humanists, some just human.

Who is 'better', better than who or what? Who is sufficiently or inadequately good?

Maybe Buddhism is really quite easy, simple . . . and chilled . . .

bookwormmmoInvincible_summer
  • ZendoLord84ZendoLord84 Veteran
    edited May 2014

my plans?
    None.

I sit daily..when possible
    Sometimes I read and contemplate about Buddhism/Zen

yeah that's about it :D

Vastmind
  • Maybe Buddhism is really quite easy, simple . . . and chilled . . .

Yes it is VERY easy.

lobster