Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A relative of mine is searching for Ultimate Truth; why are we here? and has turned to DAVID ICKE!

A relative of mine has for years been on a search for ultimate truth to why we are here AND what happens after death?

has got into David icke, (and says hes getting closer to truth)

What are your thoughts on david icke and his teachings?

Comments

• zenmystezenmyste Veteran

From what ive been 'told' i Personally dont believe in his thoughts and what he teaches.

Id be interested in what you guys think though?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

No idea who David Icke is but if your relative was into scamming people out of their money, hookers and blow then getting into David Icke probably is getting him closer to the truth.

AllbuddhaBound
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Then again, having googled David Icke, if your relative was a regular bloke, then he may be moving further from the truth.

I didn't noticed any teachings really just a lot of conspiracy theories.

zenmyste
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited May 2014

I had never heard of the man and looked on Wikipedia, which said, among other things:

[David Vaughan Icke (/aɪk/; IKE, born 29 April 1952) is an English writer, public speaker and former professional footballer. He promotes conspiracy theories about global politics and has written extensively about them.

Icke was a BBC television sports presenter and spokesman for the Green Party, when in 1990 a psychic told him that he was a healer who had been placed on Earth for a purpose, and that the spirit world was going to pass messages to him.

Searching for the "ultimate truth AND what happens after death" strikes me as strange subject matter to place in anyone else's hands.

zenmyste
  • Unfortunately, some times there is truth to conspiracy theories, just not most of the time. I recall the Y2K fiasco that never was. I believe some people conspired to make money from it, and so they spread the "truth". Mr. Icke probably does quite well for himself. What I am suspicious of, is seeing conspiracy everywhere.

zenmysteKundo

No wait! It's true! Death is just another conspiracy theory. In reality, no one ever dies. Instead, everyone is spirited away to the Seychelles where they live in peace and harmony ... and a good deal of over-crowding. Anyone attempting to examine this claim is moved to the Galapagos, there to break bread with herds of turtles.

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2014

Have no idea who David Icke is, but to each his own truth.
    Probably the living proof that a prophet is born every second as long there is a gullible person who willingly follows suit...

Kundo
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Does anybody elses brains glaze over when hearing the phrase the "Ultimate" truth?

ToraldrisvinlynDandelionBuddhadragon
  • robotrobot Veteran

The ultimate truth as taught by David Icke.

sova
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@robot said:

Hey - that was on quite near to where I work. I should have gone!

Buddhadragon
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Well just in case they are watching I for one welcome our new reptilian overlords! :D

Bunkskarastisova

As I heard one person describe conspiracy theorists:

"They are so cynical and yet so gullible"

edited May 2014

I understand now: David Icke has overfed on the series "V" re-runs. I get it...

It would be funny if it weren't so sad!

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@dharmamom said:
    I understand now: David Icke has overfed on the series "V" re-runs. I get it...

It would be funny if it weren't so sad!

So I suppose you now you trying to say that V was fake?

lobsterHamsakagenkakuBuddhadragon
    edited May 2014

@how said:

Apparently it is not a fake, since David Icke found the missing link... :)

Probably because it's bollocks

@robot said:

Honestly, if anyone comes across this ad on the newspaper and can still believe there's an iota of truth to all this, no wonder so many charlatans are making wadfuls of money by the second.

Toraldris
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran

Eh, one person's Revealed Truth is another person's Woo-Woo Nonsense. Aliens live in our volcanoes, God crammed all the animal species into one boat and flooded the entire world, and in India a woman was visited by a sacred white elephant one night and conceived the little baby destined to become Buddha.

Melbourne has a "Spiritual Cinema"? Me, I'd go to the Glitch bar and cinema advertised, where I could watch the drunks watch this guy talking about alien reptile overlords.

lobsterVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Considering some (most) of the people who are elected to state and federal government positions here in the US, I'm not convinced the reptile overlords theory isn't correct.

Vastmind
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

Judging by the pic of Mr Mutwa I would guess that he has an Elephantine agenda.

• betaboybetaboy Veteran

Instead of making fun of icke, ppl should listen to what he says. To close minded ppl, buddhism may also look as odd as icke is to you. So let us be mature......and sensitive.....

@betaboy -- Does being mature and sensitive mean that I can't find something horrific or ludicrous?

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

I don't care who teaches what, it's how they teach it, it's apparent when they have not really investigated themselves properly, because there are glaring holes in what they say, and what you have discovered. In investigating myself, I have not found guru David Icke useful, and have discarded his teachings on alien life-forms etc. as not useful to my own progression.

Ultimate truth is not 'out there', it's 'in here' and remains quiet, still, non-judgmental, supportive, and boring in comparison to other external offerings of explanations!

Perhaps he is getting closer to the ultimate truth, but people someone needs to hold a light up to the thing they are looking at to really see that the shadows it casts, is just a shadow, nothing more. Perhaps you should say there is something out there called the 'wish-fulfilling jewel' that someone mentioned and is regarded as the True Path to revealing Ultimate Truth.

Just some thoughts btw.

lobsterBuddhadragon

Does anybody elses brains glaze over when hearing the phrase the "Ultimate" truth?

@how ... If you're starting a club, I'll join.

anataman
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Bunks said:
    Hey - that was on quite near to where I work. I should have gone!

You should have been gearing up to watch Hawthorn defeat those horrid Pies or see St Kilda thump the Crows. It was round 16 in the AFL. What were you thinking??????? XD

Sorry for the thread derailment zenmyste.

@dhammachick said:

Mate - I would've been at Docklands watching the (not so mighty) Blues smash Sydney!! :-P

@Bunks said:
    Mate - I would've been at Docklands watching the (not so mighty) Blues smash Sydney!! :-P

I can wear that as long as those feral Pies lose :P

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I assume AFL is 'Australian Football League' and not 'A Fantasy Lizard'? I am not sure that a post on the derailed can be derailed. Your losing 'feral pies' make more sense (which is very little) than the mind babbling Icke. Too harsh on the afflicted?

:o :wave:

KundoZenshin

You are correct @lobster‌ !

I'll be at Docklands Monday night @dhammachick‌ watching Carlton v St Kilda. Battle for the wooden spoon :(

@Bunks said:
    I'll be at Docklands Monday night dhammachick‌ watching Carlton v St Kilda. Battle for the wooden spoon :(

Carlton is my partner's team while St Kilda is my mother's. I'm not watching it with either LOL.

But I'll be at the SCG watching St Kilda and the Saints with my mother in August and I will be brutal :D

Bunks
  • poptartpoptart Veteran

People turn to all sorts of strange sources in their search for truth. No source is intrinsically good or bad, since the Truth (if you want to call it that) is available to us all through our own hearts. What I find distasteful is mocking and jeering at someone we don't happen to agree with. I expect better on a Buddhism forum, frankly.

@poptart‌, the thing os before I got treatment for schizophrenia I very much believed icke and other conspiracy theorists and I know how flat out crazy I was then.

lobster
  • poptartpoptart Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    poptart‌, the thing os before I got treatment for schizophrenia I very much believed icke and other conspiracy theorists and I know how flat out crazy I was then.

So just because you believed what they said and you were then diagnosed as schizophrenic that automatically makes them schizophrenic too? That's some leap you are making.

I believe Icke is paranoid delusional and the only reason he hasn't been sectioned is because he is not a suicide risk or a threat to the public.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

I saw him in an interview. He made a complete dick of himself with absolutely no help from the interviewer. He came across as someone manic, deluded and really rambled nonsensically. It was sincerely painful to watch and I genuinely felt for the man.

Zenshinanataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Perhaps Icke really has seen how mad life is at times @federica, and although we should not necessarily be swayed by his arguments for this and that view of aliens and spirituality, rather one should accept that he has had a certain experience of life for what it is - I've been there (not his there in this life to be exact) - and now I'm back in the 'real' world...

Perhaps it is a sad reflection, that a sad reflection is not always acknowledged in the way it should be acknowledged, and that is with the sadness it is reflecting at not knowing what it should be knowing, and it falters... and the faltering can feel alienated, and the alienated may reflect on itself in a disparaging way, in the same way as the more accepted self-exhalted (celebrity worshipping) one may reflect on themselves as being more than they really are. Both are going out and sometimes beyond extremes of view, and who knows what they have found there.

The middle way is a prescription to counteract these extremes of view, and anyone who professes to be a follower of such a path, has to reign in opinions of people who follow extremes of view, otherwise they are merely following them and playing up to their fantasies - been there done it, and still am to a degree, but I've been moderated.

• footiamfootiam Veteran

@zenmyste said:
    A relative of mine has for years been on a search for ultimate truth to why we are here AND what happens after death?

has got into David icke, (and says hes getting closer to truth)

What are your thoughts on david icke and his teachings?

I think Buddha said to accept Truth wherever you find it.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@footiam said:
    I think Buddha said to accept Truth wherever you find it.

While I agree with the stated principle, and tend to follow it, did he really say that?

footiam
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

@vinlyn said:

I would also ask if that is really the truth.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited May 2014

@footiam said:
    I would also ask if that is really the truth.

Footiam, directly attributing a statement to Buddha, which is not from Buddha, is pretty significant.

robotfootiam
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@poptart said:
    People turn to all sorts of strange sources in their search for truth. No source is intrinsically good or bad, since the Truth (if you want to call it that) is available to us all through our own hearts. What I find distasteful is mocking and jeering at someone we don't happen to agree with. I expect better on a Buddhism forum, frankly.

This makes sense in principle, if your ruler of judgment is simply "different than mine".

But not all belief systems are beneficial to the believer OR the rest of us. That is obvious. Some sources are distinctly unskillful, and though I don't believe in coming to that conclusion without study, knowing the difference is pretty important.

People unknowingly insert so much of their own ego stuff into their yardsticks that I can see where you are coming from with that statement. Like I said, judging something as unskillful or 'bad' is not something to rush into. There's not a lot of people I trust to NOT be subjective when it comes to judging sources of truth, and I'm one of them :D

One of my personal yardsticks for 'unskillful' (or just plain wrong) is "truth" encouraging exclusion and superiority above others. Another one is "truth" that discourages it's participants from examination of the so called truth, or discourages followers based upon political ideals. We're living on a planet showing greater and greater signs of vulnerability, but certain observers of certain truths just consider that part of their eschatology, rather than a crisis to avert. In that, they are hurting others, another one of my yardsticks. I won't even go there about suicide bombings.

It IS OK to think :)

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

Yes do take the truth where you find it, but make sure it's actually the truth. The Buddha may not have said that as-such, but the current Dalai Lama is quoted as saying "If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, then Buddhism will have to change."

We should vet anything that is touted as "truth" for ourselves anyway, I take that as part of just being a rational human that wants "to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible" (Matt Dillahunty).

The world is full of con-artists and really deluded people that don't know any better; healthy skepticism is a "must" to determine truth from falsehood.

robot
  • robotrobot Veteran

Some truth is simply not true. That doesn't mean that people should be criticized for believing it, I guess. Although I have to try hard not to do it, especially in my thoughts.
    One of my yardsticks is when something sounds like total bullshit to me. I have certainly been wrong on occasion.
    I'm going to go out on a limb and call bullshit on alien reptilians controlling the human race for thousands of years, which is what Icke has been "teaching". And according to the forum on DavidIcke.com, there are a number of people who believe it to be true. One can only hope that they are not teaching it to their children.

ZenshinToraldris
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2014

Three words :

Show

Me

Evidence.

shanyinCitta
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran

There seem to be two world issues that put the survival of the human species at high risk. The threat of environmental catasrophe and the threat of nuclear war. I would not look to David Icke for answers on these topics.

Zenshin
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited May 2014

@vinlyn said:
    Footiam, directly attributing a statement to Buddha, which is not from Buddha, is pretty significant.

I suppose so. I just thought he did. Didn't really know. But if it is logical, it doesn't have to be from the Buddha to be accepted.