Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Would you like to be rich?

13»

Comments

• footiam said:

MaryAnne said:

I would love to be rich... but magically rich.
    I would not want to come by my riches by way of using others' blood sweat and tears while I reap the benefits (like a useless overpaid CEO).

But if I could wake up tomorrow and have about 20 million in the bank, it would be wonderful!! I LOVE helping people. I would share with everyone in my family, I would share with a few choice friends, I would give big $$ to some really worthy charities and medical institutions.
    I would set aside 1million for myself and my husband to take us through our old age, and the rest would be spent as mentioned above. It would be the same if I won the lottery for 2 million or 200 million! A million in the bank for us- the rest well spent on others.

This is my attitude. I used to have the ol' 'money is evil' attitude, but now i'm secure in my motivations I am happy to have as much money as life gives me without compromising myself to gain it. The more I have, the more I can help, simple as.
    I just read in this forum somewhere that Buddhist temple especially those with a big portion of Chinese in it, focus on money. The more money there is, the more you can help. I suppose that's it. It also reminds me of Taiwan's Tzu Chi.

Amazing video! This is how I wish to be. I want no end to how my compassion manifests on this planet. This is exactly what I have come to these forums to encourage. We must act, otherwise our compassion is worthless.
    Dennis1
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

I was just about to post all the great things Bill and Melinda Gates have done. They are wonderful, generous, thoughtful individuals who set a great example of how to enjoy your wealth *as well as* help out those in need. They have a good balance and I respect them and their efforts greatly.

Folks like the Gates and Buffets of the world do it right: They have fun making their money, than they have fun giving it away strategically.

You have to decide what's important before you get the money, because you'll never find it after you do.
    riverflowInvincible_summerEvenThird
  • Nice to be rich enough to never have to work again and put up with power bosses .Id just tell em where to stick their job. Start a big yoga program in the UK for inner cities ,pay some big Indian gurus to come to Birmingham and set off a yoga and vipassana revolution .
  • It is probably a bit taboo to admit, but yes, I would like to be rich.
    Dennis1
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Yes.

I won't lie, I'd buy myself a little house out in the hills, a nice motorcycle, a normal car, and then live easy. I'd also spread some of the money through my immediate family, all of whom are suffering financially at the moment. The only way I'd donate to charity is if I founded the charity myself.

I don't trust charities to actually get the money to where it's needed to go, is all.
    Dennis1
  • Tbh I'd like to be rich, but being too rich causes too many headaches and I'd rather not have that. I've been through all kinds of money situations. I've been dirt poor with $0 in my bank, and that's a terrible thing to have when today's world revolves around money. I've also had quite a bit of money in my bank at a time (not even close to being considered rich) and that's a great thing to have, but if you can't control your spending, then it can be a headache when all you do is spend spend spend, and then you don't have a lot (and this happens frequently with those people with millions, over time they spend recklessly and suddenly have nothing). I like having a decent amount of money in the bank, not too much that makes me want to spend it, and not too little that I can't go out and treat myself to something nice every once and a while.

Although if I had a swiss bank account or something I don't touch with millions in there, then I wouldn't mind lol
  • One refrain said:
    "Rich is not the one that have more but is the one that need less."

I like that, but I still need a lot of needless stuff to feed my ego, so I'm not very rich for now :)

I like that too. I am a sour grape! I don't have to need what I have!
  • Some professions like a nurse or a teacher pay well. With wisdom and in the absence of dissipating habits, a person can become comfortable while performing a useful function in society. I suppose comfortable is not rich. But it can take people beyond need. That's fine and worthwhile. Seeking wealth at the cost of others is a tragic flaw-of course.

I have enough now. Oh but I'd trade it all for a little more.
    MaryAnne
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    you couldn't pay me enough to be rich,

I think I responded to this thread, or maybe an earlier one way back in the day. Being rich is a burden and the people around you view you as a cash register rather then a person. it can be extremely lonely as well. Ajahn Brahm always tells the story of the house he went to bless that he needed directions to find the bathroom and the woman said only she lived there because she avoids family and friends since how they treat her.. no thanks.

as a lay person i'd like to make enough to live fairly comfortably and travel the world once or twice a year, good enough for me.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I think you left something out of the story.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    vinlyn said:

I think you left something out of the story.

hmm.. complete it then, I'm trying to think what I missed. I've heard the story about 4-5 times now in all his talks.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    "...the story of the house he went to bless that he needed directions to find the bathroom and the woman said only she lived there because she avoids family and friends since how they treat her..."

One of us is missing something!
    Dennis1
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I don't want to be rich . . . I just don't want to worry about having enough money to meet my personal needs and to help my kids or give to the person holding a sign on this or that corner. I want to be able to send a hundred bucks a couple times a year to various waterfowl (duck and geese) rescues. I spin yarn, and where I'm most greedy is when I see a very nice sheep, alpaca or angora goat (mohair) fleece and MUST HAVE IT. Alas. I end up giving away the yarn to friends and family or when they insist upon paying, sell it for 'cost' so I'z canz buyz more fleeces :D

When my $4000 Jetta shit the bed and needed $7500 worth of repairs on it's infernal electrical system, I parked it to the side and paid cash for another $4000 car (which has virtually no electric system, but turned out to be bright primary red :grumble: ). Bam, bam. If my laptop goes tits up, I can buy another one. I could buy the latest Macbook thingie or I can get another Acer like this one. When my adult kids need help, which is seldom and RARELY even asked for, I can help them. I splurged on an air/germ purifyer for my place, but in all honesty, I have 3 pairs of jeans (bought at Goodwill), five or six long sleeve shirts (used from eBay), one coat, winter boots, work shoes and four sets of work scrubs I replace with another four sets when they start looking homeless.

My therapist questioned if it was a matter of me feeling like I don't 'deserve' a wardrobe of nicer clothes or an interior redo of my studio. I give her the benefit of the doubt for asking, but I honestly don't think it's low self esteem. I've always been like this.

I've never felt this graspy clingy relationship to money, even when I had none, which was most of my life. It's just this neutral thing? Don't know how to explain it.

If I were to receive a windfall (as long as it were ethical), I would buy 200 or more acres of cheap swampy land and make a waterfowl and farm animal rescue/rehab. I would work hourly as a hospice or palliative care nurse, that's important stuff to do if you have the experience. I'd make sure my kids had paid-for homes and cars, and my grandson a trust fund if his autism is such that he needs assisted living/sheltered work as an adult OR a nice chunk for college as he's MIT material, intelligence-wise. My mother and extended family would receive gifts that make them more secure and less worried about money or things.

I can't really think of what to get myself, quite honestly. A really fancy electric spinning wheel, someone to consult on how to organize my crafts/home due to my ADD, and maybe a housecleaner once a week :)

There's a documentary on 'free' Netflix called Park Avenue, and in it they present some interesting facts that the Buddha knew 2600 years ago. The higher the income, the less is given to the poor, the less concern for the poor, in fact, a greater disdain for programs to help the poor. The top 1% seem to live in a completely different 'world' than the rest of us.

Gassho :)

Jeffrey
  • I usually have my wife buy me books-one year she bought me the Avatamsaka Sutra and etc. This year she bought me a used kindle and some great books to go in it. At night if she goes to sleep and I'm still awake I can turn over and read without disturbing her.
    Last night I read chapter 9 of Shantidev'a Bodhicharyavatara. I love it. Getting really useful things is great and although we are comfortable all of my clothes (except some dress clothes) are used. I don't need much. Being comfortable is fine and I think that is the middle way. Rich seems like an abuse. But, I don't feel I should give away what we have. We did honest helpful work to get what we have. that is what I think is important.
    We didn't take away from others. Creating new wealth through co-creative activity is worthwhile. mtgby
  • Hamsaka said:
    There's a documentary on 'free' Netflix called Park Avenue, and in it they present some interesting facts that the Buddha knew 2600 years ago. The higher the income, the less is given to the poor, the less concern for the poor, in fact, a greater disdain for programs to help the poor. The top 1% seem to live in a completely different 'world' than the rest of us.

I know you are a nurse and that is fine. You make good money and that is fine also.
    Anyone can make a documentary-doesn't mean it's true. I have seen several studies that indicate America (a wealthy nation) is the most generous nation as a % of income of any nation on Earth. That might not be true either. However, I have known wealthy people and some of them were generous and giving-as a % of income. So Some wealthy do great things with their wealth and I think that is pretty common. That doesn't require force and therefore it comes from the heart and that is the greatest type of giving-for the benefit of others. Giving at the point of a gun is pretty worthless. Government takes with a gun and gives blindly and sometimes hurtfully. The well off
    should constantly be praised and cajoled to encourage their hearts. mtgby
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2013
    footiam said:

Below is a suttat on being rich. Read it and say - would you like to be rich or poor?
    SN 3.6
    PTS: S i 73
    CDB i 168
    Appaka Sutta: Few
    translated from the Pali by
    Thanissaro Bhikkhu
    © 1998–2013
    At Savatthi. As he was sitting to one side, King Pasenadi Kosala said to the Blessed One: "Just now, lord, while I was alone in seclusion, this train of thought arose in my awareness: 'Few are those people in the world who, when acquiring lavish wealth, don't become intoxicated & heedless, don't become greedy for sensual pleasures, and don't mistreat other beings. Many more are those who, when acquiring lavish wealth, become intoxicated & heedless, become greedy for sensual pleasures, and mistreat other beings.'"

"That's the way it is, great king! That's the way it is! Few are those people in the world who, when acquiring lavish wealth, don't become intoxicated & heedless, don't become greedy for sensual pleasures, and don't mistreat other beings. Many more are those who, when acquiring lavish wealth, become intoxicated & heedless, become greedy for sensual pleasures, and mistreat other beings."

That is what the Blessed One said. Having said that, the One Well-Gone, the Teacher, said further:
    Impassioned with sensual possessions, greedy, dazed by sensual pleasures, they don't awaken to the fact that they've gone too far — like deer into a trap laid out. Afterwards it's bitter for them: evil for them the result.

The world was so much bigger then. It's quite a bit smaller now and with information being shared as it is these days, we have public outcries for brutalities in other countries. People that have gone without education are standing up (even after getting shot in the head in the case of Malala Yousafzai) and demanding it with support the globe over.

We still have too many sad cases that cannot see the benefit of sharing their wealth but we also have many cases that show the opposite.

We do still see a lot of corruption in the top 1% but then we have people like George Lucas who when he sold Star Wars rights to Disney (shudder), put almost $4 000 000 000 into education.

In all honesty, I see the tides turning for the better.

If I had a lot of money, I don't think I would be rich because I would try to make it generate something helpful and not for profit.

• There's nothing wrong with being rich. It all depends on what you do with your wealth. In the Buddha's time it was seen as a great blessing. Wealth allowed patrons to fund the Buddha's work and his community of monks/nuns. Money is just a tool. It can be used for good, for bad, or for self-indulgence. The choice is yours.
    anataman
  • Money makes good people become better and bad people become worse. Because of having a lot of money, Michael Jackson suffered from one surgery after another and was still not happy and finally died of overdose. On the other hand, Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, the richest men in the world, can use their billion dollars to help people around the world. As for me, I don't wish to be rich or poor, I take what comes to me. If money come my way, I will gladly receive it but I won't go digging for it.
  • kashi said:

No desire to be rich for my own sake, but it would be wonderful to be able to donate thousands and thousands to charity if I had that kind of money.

That's a case of 'no self'! You are great!
  • I'd love to be rich. Hopefully, the plans I've set in place wil make that a reality in 30 years. The things I find the most joy doing in life cost money; traveling, skiing, shooting, etc. To a certain extent, money can buy a certain level of happiness. I'm much more happy with a wife, nice house, and money than when I was broke, single, and living in the ghetto.
  • jaejae Veteran
    I am rich ....rich in happiness, family, friends, I'm alive, healthy and free
    yagr
  • I am rich in cats :) 3 of them.
    jaecvalueKundo
  • klmeer said:

Nice to be rich enough to never have to work again and put up with power bosses .Id just tell em where to stick their job. Start a big yoga program in the UK for inner cities ,pay some big Indian gurus to come to Birmingham and set off a yoga and vipassana revolution .

That's a good idea! It pays to be rich!
  • yagryagr Veteran
    I suppose it depends on ones definition of rich. I've had a million dollars in cash on hand on a few occasions - and have gone to bed without dinner because I couldn't afford to eat on a few occasions.

Both situations are interesting. Both are impermanent. At this moment in time I don't think 'rich' would serve me very well...there are some life lessons going on and rich would screw that up. In fact, I've told my wife here recently that if we were to win the lottery, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pick the winnings up. Rich comes with its own problems. I'm inclined to agree with jae's post above.

• .<
    yagr said:

I suppose it depends on ones definition of rich. I've had a million dollars in cash on hand on a few occasions - and have gone to bed without dinner because I couldn't afford to eat on a few occasions.

Both situations are interesting. Both are impermanent. At this moment in time I don't think 'rich' would serve me very well...there are some life lessons going on and rich would screw that up. In fact, I've told my wife here recently that if we were to win the lottery, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't pick the winnings up. Rich comes with its own problems. I'm inclined to agree with jae's post above.

One sometimes needs cash to solve problems. It probably is good to be rich then
  • yagryagr Veteran
    @footiam My father has a saying. The older I've gotten, the more I see the truth of it. Its simply this: If money can fix it, you don't have a problem.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Citta said:

I AM rich. Now what ?

Spread your happiness!
  • footiamfootiam Veteran

@yagr said:
    footiam My father has a saying. The older I've gotten, the more I see the truth of it. Its simply this: If money can fix it, you don't have a problem.

It definitely is good to have money.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I have everything I need to be happy and enough wisdom to count my blessings. How much richer could I get?

wangchuey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

When you have £300 in the bank, spending £6.00 on a joint of meat, is no big deal.
    When you have £43.00 in your pocket to last you 10 days, £6.00 on a joint of meat is an exorbitant luxury.

It's all relative....

wangchuey
  • wangchueywangchuey Veteran
    edited May 2014
    Will I be rich one day? I think this is part of what is called an unconjecturable and can lead to irritation/vexation. I try not to think about it too often. Just make the best with what you have.
    Buddhadragon
  • yagryagr Veteran

@footiam said:

Perhaps. If so, it is also good to have no money.

• CittaCitta Veteran
    yagr said:

@footiam said:

Perhaps. If so, it is also good to have no money.

Nah...tried that. Didn't like it at all.

federica
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2014

@wondering said I don't agree with your view at all about defense is necessary. Neither would any compassionate being.

I respect your view. Have you asked all compassionate beings that you are presuming to speak for?

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I have been rich, I have been poor, I have enough now. But you know that I want most? My health. If necessary, I can sell some possessions to raise money needed for experimental medical procedures and expensive medication. But there's no stopping my illness. Rich, poor or comfortable - I will still die shrugs If I had to go into everlasting debt to extend my life, I would.

As the saying goes "He who dies with the most toys, still dies"

howVastmindyagrBuddhadragon
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

After almost 24 years on a "spiritual" path my needs have always been met. I don't desire a lot of money as I'm not certain I have enough "clarity" to handle it and I don't need it. I'd be willing to try but cautiously, lol! (seriously) Bob

KundoBuddhadragon