Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What have you done recently that made you feel alive!

anatamananataman Who needs a title?Where am I? Veteran

I managed to complete my 103 mile cycle ride last Sunday around Kent, aka The Garden of England, and boy it may as well have been the garden of Eden the way it presented itself to me on a blistering sunny day. 7 hours of cycling, no I didn't count the revolutions of my peddles because the world was presenting itself to me in a most stunning way, riding past orchards, vineyards, sleepy villages, rivers and historic castles; I think there was everything there to make me glow with bliss. That was until I reached the 73 mile mark, when I stopped at a feeding station on the route and realised my legs had turned to jelly. So I ate a handful of jelly babies, and a few salted peanuts, a banana, a litre or 2 of water and boy weren't they delicious... Then off I rode again. Slept like a log, and woke up with my subtle body saying, you need to do a bit more training next time you do something like this again.

So the point is this - I am alive and right now I'm lucky enough to be enjoying it! Hopefully, most people don't have to go to such extremes, but have you had any experiences (and they don't have to be positive) you would care to share, that made you feel like you are alive?

MeisterBobJeffreyyagrlobsterwangchueyToshDaltheJigsaw

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I hate to go from the poetic to the mundane, but a small victory in Court, when the Judge threw out the case against us as utter fabricated, malicious and time-wasting nonsense, definitely put a spring in my step.

Not because of the Claimant's humiliation, I would emphasise, but because someone saw fit to exercise common sense and give us a foot-up, and a sense of actually being meaningful.
    The feeling of "somebody up there likes us" kind of thing.

anatamanJeffreyDandelionzombiegirl
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Alive as opposed to what?
    Impressed with oneself?/ adrenalin bound?/ transcended some fear?/grateful for something that you otherwise took for granted?/joyful at seeing the backside of a challenge?/
    Not meaning to rain on your parade but I wonder how many variations of your question exist as we cycle (no pun intended) in life in between awareness and stupor.

lobsterzombiegirl
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited May 2014

I just breathed out...and breathed in again. Conclusive proof I reckon.

I might try it again in a minute.

sovalobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

^^Like^^ :0)

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran
    edited May 2014

@anataman That sounds wonderful!

I enjoy the simpler moments a lot. Today I woke up , went outside as the sun was coming up surveying my newly planted garden. Quiet inside I recognized the "bloom of the present moment" (as Zinn puts it) and smiled- at least inwardly. It was simple and peaceful. The peace was in a quiet mind. That's not always the case.lol! Bob

anataman
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I breathe. Every time, no matter what I am doing (meditation, yoga, dishes, driving, engaging in a difficult conversation, etc etc) when I take a moment to go to my breath in a single-pointed manner for even a brief few seconds, life comes rushing back. Fresh air and sunshine are a close second.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

That's what I meant @federica (sounds like you've been waiting for this for some time, and I'm pleased it worked out in your favour)... just seeing that there is nature and there is natural justice, and possibly feeling that you can revel in it because you can, allows you to see that sometimes the world is sweet (Sukha), rather than bitter (dukha). Can't have yin without the yang, the sun without the moon, or bread without butter...

btw your not raining on my parade @how, unless you are a raincloud; well you are somewhere I'm sure, but not over me. There was nothing boastful about what I did, other than I did something, and it was pleasant, and it gave me a pleasant feeling. Being alive is not always pleasant as you all know, and having the chance to enjoy it well, there are many times when that does not happen.

@Citta, I find breathing in and out every few seconds is more relaxing - lol

The reason for the post is that I've been finding that dwelling on life's mysteries, only brings that unsatisfactory feeling of late, so I've just been letting things happen and enjoying those things that arise for what they are, engaging positively, and above all, not trying to change anything, because I can't. I'm smiling at the world and it's smiling back; that's what being alive is for me in this moment.

Buddhadragonkarastifederica
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

You rang? .. :) ..

anatamanfederica
  • CittaCitta Veteran

" Gaudy Intermezzo " ? Love it ...

sova
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

To the OP congrats to you! There is nothing wrong with accomplishment and feeling good about something done well, though keeping perspective is key. Nothing of importance I have done lately but for me when I forget myself I become alive, I guess along the lines of..... "forgetfulness of self is remembrance of God"

anataman

Gaudy. A relatively new word, brought into common parlance by this guy and his works.

Which bring joy at beholding such bizarre yet creatively colourful works of art...

anataman
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

@federica said:
    Gaudy. A relatively new word, brought into common parlance by this guy and his works.

Which bring joy at beholding such bizarre yet creatively colourful works of art...

Really nice! Thanks for sharing

(I may very well be wrong on the origins of the word 'Gaudy' as it seems it was in circulation before the man was born;but an awful lot of people attribute its origin to him, so I might be forgiven for that mistake. He was an extraordinary man, in any case.)

• CittaCitta Veteran

In Oxford colleges there is a celebration called 'Gaudy Night' which is a reunion for alumni.

It dates back to the Middle Ages.

ooh-er, Missus....

• yagryagr Veteran
    edited May 2014

Ironically, getting diagnosed with MS last week did the trick.

anataman

I'm sorry to hear that. have they given you a prognosis? how advanced is it?

• Had an argument with my teacher during my exam yesterday.. Made me feel alive, because it tested my ease of mind a great deal..
    First I had the argument, then the inevitable bad grade

• GraymanGrayman Veteran
    edited May 2014

I got up recently and decided I was going to be myself again. I also had a nice juicy steak to give my mind something to munch on instead of sugar and caffiene.

anataman
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Sorry about your diagnosis @yagr‌. A good friend of mind was diagnosed with MS several years ago, his quality of life improved after diagnosis once he was being properly treated and was given rehab assignments. Having answers means having a direction, I hope you find positive steps in yours <3

federicaanatamanyagrsova
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I've had two trips to the ER with potentially life threatening injuries. No great accomplishment or pleasurable experience has made me feel more alive than coming out the other side of those two trips.

anatamanBuddhadragon

Suddenly, I feel so ordinary.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@person, I'll be thinking of you and dedicate merit. Hope you are doing ok. I'm glad it is making you feel alive.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Thanks @Jeffrey, I'm doing fine, no lasting effects except a few scars. I have to admit though the feeling does seem to fade.

• What have you done recently that made you feel alive!

I was in hospital for a minor incident and was there whilst people were literally dying around me.

BunksBuddhadragonanataman
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

What have you done recently that made you feel alive

I kicked my little toe on a door in the dark at 2am this morning. My swearing also made my parents and daughter feel alive too :p ...

sovaBuddhadragonlobsteranataman
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Seriously though, I think I have been more conscious of being alive since my diagnosis last May.

BuddhadragonThailandTom
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Cycled through Bedlam the oldest mental hospital in the world this morning whilst searching for 'Monks Orchard'. There be apple trees . . . gorgeous grounds.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlem_Royal_Hospital

Past the early morning sun and the awakening suburbs . . . and back to the breathing . . .

I go past Bethlem Hospital nearly every day, and recently heard a Radio 4 documentary about mental health in the UK (Bedlam was brought up) - from past experience and observation, I think we are still living in the dark ages of mental health treatment - the grounds are lovely though, are they your pics?!

federicalobster

It's called 'Care in the Community' and since its innovation, in the '50's it's really grown by leaps and bounds...

And not in a good way at all.

As Iain Duncan-Smith called it, "it's a £100bn failure."

Sorry. one of my gripes.

here we are, arguably one of the most advanced countries in the Northern hemisphere, and we still have the homeless, the hungry and the mentally ill on our streets, every night.

Words fail me.

OK, sorry. Definitely Off-Topic....

lobster

No not off topic at all!

Mental illness is real, and as I live near this establishment give or take a mile - you should hear what some of the locals think about the inhabitants (and they have no idea of what the inhabitants look or sound like)! - it's shameful really, mostly speculative.

It is my view that the general social attitude in the UK and elsewhere toward mental illness is ashamedly stuck in the middle of the last century, if not over a century ago.

lobsterJeffrey
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@anataman said:
    I go past Bethlem Hospital nearly every day, and recently heard a Radio 4 documentary about mental health in the UK (Bedlam was brought up) - from past experience and observation, I think we are still living in the dark ages of mental health treatment - the grounds are lovely though, are they your pics?!

We have mental health in the UK? Some sort of oxymoron . . . It seems the lunatics are running the asylums. In USA it is from what little I know, far worse. Some of us here have been treated, need help of some sort, need to use the limited resources etc.

The first pic is on my way in which is were the current hospital was to be built.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Norwood_Country_Park

I also took the second pic. Strictly speaking I should not take pictures in a hospital but it is the grounds, no overt security, no sense of bedlam and I hope I have right of way . . .

Being crazed/Buddhist/ignorant/cushionist is nothing to be ashamed of. To be alive we have to break these stereotypes in a healing way.

May all be well. May all be at peace.

Not just empty words but a refuge from our inner bedlam . . .

Here is a picture of the YinYana alter [Sic] that I am using on my current retreat. The plant is not perfect. The Buddha is a commercial mesh of styles. Life.

JeffreyKundoBuddhadragonanataman
  • I start my day by thinking of the four thoughts precious human life , impermanence death and samsara. Makes me feel alive and happy to be here!

Jeffrey
  • So weird, and I never thought I would say this, but I began a vegan diet. This is something I have avoided for a long time, but once I did commit, I feel calmer, kinder and peaceful. I had a hard time reading Thich Nhat Hahn because he is so pro vegan but now I see what he meant.

I am not saying others should do this. I only say this is how I have experienced it. I don't know if my path will always be vegan, but I have found it incredibly easy. Much easier than I thought it would be. And much more rewarding.

Jeffreylobsteranataman
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

So weird, and I never thought I would say this, but I began a vegan diet.

Not wyrd (olde English meaning wise). The longest I have been vegan is three months. It can be interesting to note the effects of diet on mentation. Look after yourself and if your body needs certain nutrients don't be unkind to its needs. Increased energy and clearer thinking was what I noticed . . . :wave: .