Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The present moment... neither here nor there...

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited June 2014 in General Banter

KIa Ora,

Some friendly banter...:D :D...

I seem to have lost the present moment, it was here one moment then gone the next, I went back to look for it, but it was nowhere to be found, so I decided to set a trap and lie in wait for it to pass by, but it never did/does...

I'm really at a lose, I know it's here somewhere, I can sense its presence... but where ? Can somebody please help me find it ? I'll even give a reward for the one who can find it and bring it back to me right now ...

Whose up for the challenge ???

Metta Shoshin :)

Earthninjalobster

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm still taken by that snippet I loved:

There is nothing beyond the present thought or experience, and nothing left when it's gone. And every previous moment conditions the present.

So sitting still, closed eyes, focus on the breath, calmly abiding and bringing the Mind home, know that there is no better place than 'here' and no better time than 'now.'

Shoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Can somebody please help me find it ? I'll even give a reward for the one who can find it and bring it back to me right now ...

Send me a cheque and I'll send you a moment.... :p

EarthninjaShoshin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ah yes.
    But when....?

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

No time like the present - what's the reward?

Shoshin
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

As soon as I realize it is , it is no longer. Bob

Shoshin
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

The present moment is like water in the hand, as soon as you grasp at it. It's gone. But leave it be, time stops and you have eternity.

BuddhadragonShoshin
  • ShakShak Veteran

I found it! Uh, well I just had it. It was here a moment ago...

EarthninjaShoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Present moment: the breath you take in now.
    By the time you breathe out, it's already gone.

Shoshin
  • You can't look for or seek out the present moment, because your always already in it..If you practice mindfulness often like everyday, the present moment will sneak up on you..The present moment will never just appear, it gradually appears over a few months if you practice often..It's your mind that has to shift, not reality!lol....remember you can't try to find enlightenment, & you can't try not trying to find it..So all you can do is practice other things that your supposed to practice, & you will find enlightenment seeks you out..That way your not trying & your not not trying, so just practice mindfulness & emotions feelings control until your mind starts shifting. :-)

Shoshin
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin

It is like trying to explain to a fish what water is.
    It is within and without, it cradles your being and without it you would not exist.

It is not that you do not know where it is, it's that there is no where that you can be where it isn't.

ShoshinEarthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Send me a cheque and I'll send you a moment.... :p

Kia Ora@SpinyNorman,

The cheque's in the post, I sent it the same time I sent Jason the "What makes a Buddhist" membership cheque . :D ..

Metta Shoshin:)

BuddhadragonEarthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@Shoshin

Like the goal of goalessness, or practicing for practice sake,

the present moment simply describes the sense data that is experienced free of our

conditioned responses.

BuddhadragonShoshin

we have a Radio-controlled clock in the kitchen.
    For some reason, today, it had stopped, but was 'ahead of itself'; that is to say that, while the clock on my laptop showed 17 minutes past 10, the R.C clock showed 22 minutes past.
    so it had automatically stopped itself, completely, to 'wait for time to catch up!'

How bizarre... once the correct time arrived, the second-hand whizzed round like a wild thing, to set itself to the 'correct, radio-controlled' seconds past.... all this took less that four seconds.... how time flies.....!

Shoshinanataman
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@federica said:
    how time flies.....!

Kia Ora @federica,

When you're having in the moment fun ...

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

You remind me of this boy looking for his hat.

Shoshin
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

We might not be able to aptly define what the present moment is but let us remember what is stated in "The better way to live alone" (Bhaddekaratta Sutta):
    "Do not pursue the past.
    Do not lose yourself in the future.
    The past no longer is.
    The future has yet to come.
    Looking deeply at life as it is
    in the very here and now,
    the practitioner dwells
    in stability and freedom.
    We must be diligent today.
    To wait until tomorrow is too late.
    Death comes unexpectedly."

Have quoted it before, but it's always welcome.

ShoshinJeffrey
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran

Quick! Grab some duct tape! I'll hold it down and you slap the tape on it. Then we'll have this time for all time!

Shoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:
    Ah yes.
    But when....?

The moment the cheque clears... :0

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited June 2014

Found this interesting. It's from Zen Teachings of Huang-po: The Chung-Ling Record

"A bhiksu asked the master: "How does one practice without grade or degree?" The master replied: "Taking one's meal every day, one never chews a grain of rice. Walking every day, one never steps upon the ground." Without the discrimination between self and others, one lives in the world, not deluded by anything at all. This is a genuinely free person whose thinking is beyond name and form. Transcending the three periods of thought, he understands that the previous period has not passed, the present period does not stay, and that the future period will not come. Sitting properly and peacefully, not bound by the world, this alone is called liberation!

Seems to me he is saying don't bind yourself to any moment, not even the present one because there really is no such thing to begin with. Or that "moment" is a function of time but time is an illusion to begin with and don't bind yourself to illusions.

Buddhadragon
  • My take on the present moment for what it's worth, is when totally absorbed in the present moment..For example making love, or doing something you love doing..When totally engrossed with no thinking whatsoever, & your only doing..Then time from our reality or perspective wouldn't/doesn't exist, & an hour can go by in what seems like no time at all..Just like when we're sleeping, & 8 hours seems to go by in 5 mins..So when totally absorbed in it 100% & only using our senses, the past present & future are all the same, because we have nothing at all no thoughts at all by which to reference time..So if you could imagine that any thought at all that your thinking at the time, could or is affecting how you actually see things in reality (as in the quality of your sight)..That's what Iv'e noticed for myself that the less i think in general, the more everything seems to look different especially nature..Things look more defined is the best way i can explain it, like Iv'e been watching on Analog vision & have now switched to HD vision!lol..Honest truth, I'm not a BS "er".

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Transcending the three periods of thought, he understands that the previous period has not passed, the present period does not stay, and that the future period will not come. Sitting properly and peacefully, not bound by the world, this alone is called liberation!

Does not stay but there it is for what it is . . . most of us complicate or draw it into being something . . . so there it is . . . :wtf: .

• MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

You can't get here from there...Bob

namarupa
  • When time doesn't matter?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Anticipation can be one of the best feelings.

• footiamfootiam Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    KIa Ora,

Some friendly banter...:D :D...

I seem to have lost the present moment, it was here one moment then gone the next, I went back to look for it, but it was nowhere to be found, so I decided to set a trap and lie in wait for it to pass by, but it never did/does...

I'm really at a lose, I know it's here somewhere, I can sense its presence... but where ? Can somebody please help me find it ? I'll even give a reward for the one who can find it and bring it back to me right now ...

Whose up for the challenge ???

It will be there if you don't go searching or trapping.