Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Islam with Bacon

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited May 2014 in Faith & Religion

When I became the worst Moslem since porky pig, I was given a Marvellous Koran. The Koran did not strike me as profound. Maybe the lyrical poetic nature is better in Arabic . . .

The Commentary by Al-Ghazzali was deep, mystical, profound and inspired. Inspired by the Koran. I don't like Islam or Christianity as practiced by many who cling to it as a cultural ignorance. I could say the same for other denominations. The Muslims, Hindus, Santeria practitioners, New Agers, secularists etc I meet are all charming. As Buddhists, which some of us are, we may have cultural or news related responses to Islam. My main association is with whirless dervishes. They are enlightening company. People are not just news bites. Not just the scapegoats for opportunists. Islam is a profound potential. A religion like Buddhism, that can be studied superficially or by bigotry. I have barely scratched the surface of dharma so is it right to so readily dismiss other paths . . .?

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I confess, I burst out laughing at the title.... my bad.

I have barely scratched the surface of dharma so is it right to so readily dismiss other paths . . .?

I agree with you on this, in fact the more I learn the more I realise I don't know a lot. Except that I love your cushions :D ...

In metta <3

Earthninja
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2014

@Lobster

It takes me back to a Sufi verses Buddhists volleyball game that I was once part of.
    Seriously but the back story I'll leave for another day.

I just remember laughing hysterically at one point when watching one side of Whirling Dervishes spinning like tops while our side put on a serious effort at transcending both the score and any boundary's.

To other folks in the park it must of looked like a Monty Python skit but we all had a blast.

lobsterperson
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Kia Ora @lobster,

Mine is with Sufism and the great thinkers and poets...Rumi comes to mind...

The Guest House

This human being is a guest house.
    Every morning a new arrival.

A joy, a depression, a meanness,
    some momentary awareness comes
    as an unexpected visitor.

Welcome and entertain them all !
    Even if they are a crowd of sorrows,
    who violently sweep your house
    empty of its furniture,
    still, treat each guest honourably.
    He may be clearing you out
    for some new delight.

The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
    meet them at the door laughing and invite them in.

Be grateful for whatever comes,
    because each has been sent
    as a guide from beyond.

Jelaluddin Rumi

(Translated by Coleman Barks)

Metta Shoshin:)

Theswingisyellowlobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited May 2014

You're also a Muslim? Your religious beliefs are as multifarious as your array of cushions...
    Sufis, definitely. Sufi poetry. And not so sufi: Omar Khayyam and Khalil Gibran.
    Omar Khayyam's 'Rubayat' is one of my favourite books ever (very epicurean streak). My Mum prefers Khalil Gibran's 'The Prophet.'
    When the ugly face of Islam crops in the news, we lose sight of the beauty of Islam.

"When I want to understand what is happening today or try to decide what will happen tomorrow, I look back." (Omar Khayyam)

"Wisdom ceases to be wisdom when it becomes too proud to weep, too grave to laugh, and too selfish to seek other than itself." (Khalil Gibran)

TheswingisyellowEarthninja
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran

I read Hafiz, don't know much about Sufism, but I think he understood love, compassion and a wide open heart.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks guys for bringing home the bacon,

Perhaps it is time we had mixed volleyball teams?
    http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/study/islam/general/relation_between_buddhism_sufism.html

I was studying secular Sufism before taking hands (formal adoption of Islam). Now that I am a heretic, I have lapsed into acute apostasy and should condemn myself to death like Hafiz
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shath

as the Buddha (PBUH) said, 'Shouldn't have had the pork' or not . . .
    http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha192.htm

Earthninja
  • CittaCitta Veteran

Some people like to read menus.

We can only eat one meal at a time if we want to stay healthy.

We can and should respect all true spiritual paths.

We can only practice one to its end.

• DandelionDandelion London Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    I confess, I burst out laughing at the title.... my bad.

In metta <3

Me too... the title.... (sorry!)
    I'll grow up when I reach 21.

In the words of James ... 'All roads lead on to death row' (the same goes for bacon):

I miss 90's pop!

:clap:

Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Thanks guys. Here is a long article on the divine feminine in Islamic Sufism. Might be of interest to the hams.
    http://www.adishakti.org/_/centrality_of_the_divine_feminine_in_sufism.htm

• LiiLii Explorer

@ Lobster. Most important is that you can laugh with those who are on different paths. We tend to defend our religion way too much. We "attach" to it sometimes in a way that is not healthy. Congratulations to you that you Muslim. Maybe you will stay that way and maybe you won't. I feel certain though that you will always be a seeker, inshaAllah.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I think all schools should adopt religious studies of all religions into schools. It will help prevent wrong view!

Unbiased and open minded is the key. There are jewels of wisdom in all religions.

• TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2014

I'll take the Islam but no bacon! "I just don't dig on swine"

Not for the reasons Jules states, pigs are in fact clean animals, if allowed access to water, a chimp on the other hand won't get in water to save another. Also I hear they might be in the family!
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2515969/Humans-evolved-female-chimpanzee-mated-pig-Extraordinary-claim-American-geneticist.html

http://www.macroevolution.net/human-origins.html#.U6E1vulOVMu

Earthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

You're also a Muslim?

I don't practice anymore. Prayer five times a day and all night [yikes] . . . when would I have time to be mindful? [m m m . . . some mistake there]

Yesterday I was in the grounds of my favourite mosque, owned by Prophet Isa (JC). I have never been inside and only visited twice. Since my last visit a new seat has appeared at the back. Gorgeous grounds for Buddhists to contemplate death (the grounds serve as a picnic area and burial ground) . . .

There is a Tamil saying which goes something like: 'Everyone my Friend, Everywhere my home.'

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Earthninja said:
    I think all schools should adopt religious studies of all religions into schools. It will help prevent wrong view!

Unbiased and open minded is the key. There are jewels of wisdom in all religions.

I think you may find, @Earthninja, that this is already a mandatory curricular requirement, in the UK.

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Earthninja, anyone else...

For your information

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Brilliant!

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited June 2014

There is no right way for everyone, some paths are tailored, some are found, some are stumbled across. Just to have a path means someone else has walked before you. And hopefully that leads somewhere, even if it is to them.

Buddhadragon
  • LiiLii Explorer
    edited June 2014

@Earthninja said:

>

Love this!!

• LiiLii Explorer

Chimps in water