Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Who or what becomes enlightened ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited July 2014 in General Banter

Kia Ora,

So when it comes to enlightenment who or what is it that becomes enlightened ?

I've heard people say things like that "This teacher is enlightened or that teacher is enlightened" but others might disagree....

How does one 'know' when somebody else is enlightened ?

And if you feel another is enlightened, why is it not everybody will agree with your personal finding ?

And finally...................

What's wrong with this sentence "I" am enlightened !"

When responding to the above please remember your Dharma practice when it comes to disagreements and the like, thank you for your cooperation in advance...

Metta Shoshin :) The unenlightened one ....

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2014

the citta becomes enlightened. It is awful karma (according to my text) to say you have realizations that you do not have. White lies are not as bad as dark lies but lying about your realization is very bad karma according to my text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citta

Cinorjerperson
  • kaveekavee Explorer

You have to become one, just to know it for sure :)

By the way, ancient text, teachings and teachers "may" help on the way.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Jeffrey said:
    the citta becomes enlightened. It is awful karma (according to my text) to say you have realizations that you do not have. White lies are worse than dark lies but lying about your realization is very bad karma according to my text.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citta

Kia Ora @Jeffrey,

Before this gets blown all out of proportion I should clarify that I'm not saying that **"I" am **enlightened (as in me Shoshin) I'm saying what is wrong with this statement... here's a clue "I"

Metta Shoshin :)

Jeffrey

@kavee said:
    You have to become one, just to know it for sure :)

By the way, ancient text, teachings and teachers "may" help on the way.

Kia Ora @kavee,

But who or what is it that knows for sure ? Therein lies the paradox.... . :D ..

• ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran
    edited July 2014

"Mind". With delusion and craving there is suffering. Without... not.

Shoshin
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@Shoshin I never thought you were lying about realizations. But it is good if you are not doing that!!

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

:)

Last year I became enlightened. Oh yeah baby! The responses to this situation were bemusing and illustrative and as expected. This year I became unenlightened, which caused practically no response. The reason for this is very simple. Even the ignorant are experts on another's internal state. However if we state our ignorance nobody feels threatened. Next year I may become a Buddha or anti-buddha, that should be fun . . .

The answer to your question can only be answered by your interior knowing. :wave: .

ShoshinCinorjer
  • kaveekavee Explorer

@Shoshin said:
    Therein lies the paradox

Not really. There a clearly laid out path, which interns constitutes Buddhism. The tool is Meditation. If you do not take the path and just meditate, you can end-up anywhere other than the goal. There are many books written by Monks, and also the ancient text (translated to english) is there if one has time and energy to engage.

For those who do not open their eyes to ancient text, practice, or believes, then the journey will become much more paradoxical. After all there should be somewhere to start, isn't it.

We humans have a mad rush for everything. Its annoying when ancient text says meditation must be practiced continuously and probably it will be a gradual journey towards the enlightenment over few lifetimes. We think that's wrong, and we can do it tomorrow if we put our mind to it today. That may be the case for some but not everybody.

lobster

Kia Ora.

"Those who know don't say and those who say don't know !"

A Zen Koan " Anything you know about can not be you!"

So who knows...."I" don't know and never will know and that's for sure....

Cinorjer
  • GuiGui Veteran

IMO, one does not become enlightened. But enlightenment can be experienced as an impermanent phenomenon. As for the sentence,"I am enlightened.", I would ask before questioning what it is to be enlightened to first find the "I" who would be enlightened.

lobsterShoshin
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Diamond Sutra
    Chapter 9.

Buddha then asked, "What do you think, Subhuti, does one who has entered the stream which flows to Enlightenment, say 'I have entered the stream'?"

"No, Buddha", Subhuti replied. "A true disciple entering the stream would not think of themselves as a separate person that could be entering anything. Only that disciple who does not differentiate themselves from others, who has no regard for name, shape, sound, odor, taste, touch or for any quality can truly be called a disciple who has entered the stream."

Buddha continued, "Does a disciple who is subject to only one more rebirth say to himself, 'I am entitled to the honors and rewards of a Once-to-be-reborn.'?"

"No, Lord. 'Once-to-be-reborn' is only a name. There is no passing away, or coming into, existence. Only one who realizes this can really be called a disciple."

"Subhuti, does a venerable One who will never more be reborn as a mortal say to himself, 'I am entitled to the honor and rewards of a Non-returner.'?"

"No, Perfectly Enlightened One. A 'Non-returner' is merely a name. There is actually no one returning and no one not-returning."

"Tell me, Subhuti. Does a Buddha say to himself, 'I have obtained Perfect Enlightenment.'?"

"No, lord. There is no such thing as Perfect Enlightenment to obtain. If a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha were to say to himself, 'I am enlightened' he would be admitting there is an individual person, a separate self and personality, and would therefore not be a Perfectly Enlightened Buddha."

Subhuti then said, "Most Honored One! You have said that I, Subhuti, excel amongst thy disciples in knowing the bliss of Enlightenment, in being perfectly content in seclusion, and in being free from all passions. Yet I do not say to myself that I am so, for if I ever thought of myself as such then it would not be true that I escaped ego delusion. I know that in truth there is no Subhuti and therefore Subhuti abides nowhere, that he neither knows nor does he not know bliss, and that he is neither free from nor enslaved by his passions."

lobsterCinorjerJeffreyperson
  • Hee. Boy, @Shoshin knows how to ask the tough questions.

Isn't the term Enlightenment and what it means and the debate about who is and isn't a wonderful Catch-22? On the one hand, we're told our goal is to be enlightened, but on the other, anyone who considers themselves enlightened or claims to be is told they're deluded, because enlightened people are supposed to be beyond such claims. But obviously there are enlightened people, starting with Buddha and including whatever Masters your school honors. Even if those Masters tell you they're nobody special. And so it goes.

Enlightenment used to mean something specific back in the early Sangha, in the era when someone was supposed to break through into Arahant status by erasing all desires and defilements from his mind. Just how this monk was tested or given the official seal of approval isn't clear, but what is clear from the records is that these Enlightened monks showed plenty of jealousy and even bigotry in spite of their status. Enlightenment back then had nothing to do with compassion and everything to do with discipline.

And the belief in enlightenment struggled against the No-self or Emptiness teaching that developed later. Monks came to blows over the argument about what all this means. The question, "What is being enlightened" was finally embraced and is at the heart of Chan or Zen. We don't talk in terms of being enlightened, usually. We use terms like "Realize one's Buddha Nature", as if that actually tells us anything important.

You'll notice in all this, I never answered the question @Shoshin asked. So here goes.

What is being enlightened?

I don't know.

JeffreyShoshin
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

The fact that it can't be compressed into words is why we are here, trying to express the inexpressible, eff the ineffable, argue the inarguable, posit the impossible, dream the awakened...

Shoshin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

It's hard to speak in sure terms but my guess is that which is not separate from the Buddha. Sidhartha did not become enlightened but Buddha awoke within him and there was enlightenment.

To me, enlightenment means to be seen whereas awakening is to see clearly.

I've heard people say things like that "This teacher is enlightened or that teacher is enlightened" but others might disagree....

And if you feel another is enlightened, why is it not everybody will agree with your personal finding ?

Because when we know somebody is enlightened, we can see their truth. If another cannot see the truth in their words, they will not find them enlightening.

And finally...................

It smells of separation and reveals that one sees truth in their own words and we all know the mind deceives us given a chance... We are enlightened could sound better to me though it is an incomplete truth in my opinion.

I think our future truth is that we are now awake.

Shoshin

Kia Ora,

What as 'perception' got to do with enlightenment, umm I wonder ? . :wave: ..

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited July 2014

@Shoshin said:

You have this teacher in front of you who seems to be very wise, whose actions are consistent with his words, who is not swayed by the good and the bad things that take place in his life, who is the embodiment of a bodhisattva, who has cessation of suffering more or less down pat, and you can surmise he is enlightened.
    The final proof that he's enlightened will be that he won't give a devil about the concept of "enlightenment."
    I'm not sure we come across enlightened people very often, if ever, anyway.
    We're probably one insight away from enlightenment, but the word is too high-sounding.
    The above said applies to your own person. As soon as you say "I'm enlightened," chances are you aren't.
    As with anything else, people don't need to agree with you simply because we all have different opinions about things and won't necessarily see things the way you see them.

Shoshin
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Nobody becomes enlightened. Your true self just becomes the foreground rather than the background. My guess anyway :)

ShoshinlobsterDavidanataman

@Earthninja said:
    Nobody becomes enlightened. Your true self just becomes the foreground rather than the background. My guess anyway :)

Kia Ora @Earthninja,

It's interesting you should mention this, I read somewhere the following (well it went something along these lines)

" Ultimate/Absolute reality can be liken to; the ongoing background music some tuned-in people listen to as they interact in/with the conventional world !"

No doubt many members here especially experienced meditators-( being "mindful" on and off the cushion ) can relate to the above...

Earthninja

@lobster said:
    Nothing becomes anything.

Kia Ora @lobster,

This one simple sentence sums it all up...

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

May all with the potential awaken to fruition.

EarthninjaCinorjer

@Shoshin‌

it's simpler than that: Something (boundary) nothing

Shoshin
  • MeisterBobMeisterBob Mindful Agnathiest CT , USA Veteran

Who becomes enlightened? Not me! lol! Bob

Shoshin
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

A causally-linked pocket of universe, where awareness has arisen, ceases to experience or create "suffering'. Something like that. :D  

Shoshin

I THINK PEOPLE HAVE TO STOP THINKING THAT ENLIGHTENMENT IS SOMETHING MORE THAN IT IS.

It's just an awakening.

You have always been awake, you just didn't realise it or whatever; you were distracted by something or other, or you were asleep, and if you continue to sleep this means nought... lol

i.e. you are awake NOW so what is happening.

?

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited July 2014

@anatman, you know you are not awake if you are suffering.

However it is possible to be suffering without knowing it.

No @‌Jeffrey, that is wrong from my perspective. Stop thinking you are 'asleep' and dreaming, that happens when you sleep and have a dream, sometimes you recognise it, most of the time you don't.

Enlightenment is not some phantasmagorical experience where the illusion of reality shimmers, fades and WHAT disappears to reveal WHAT... Well it may be for some, so I'll not make such a brash statement. What kind of illusory joke would that be? It is merely a subtle transformation of your consciousness so that you see things as they are; an illusion, and therefore you can learn not to cling to it because it is frustrating to do so - and the purpose of buddhas teachings was what?

You are currently awake and dreaming the divine dream. Well done! Realise it, Recollect, and Remember or forget. But don't cling to it as something that you can take with you forever - and so suffering can cease if you can let it go.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

So are you saying there is suffering for an enlightened person?

Also thanks for your warning about the divine dream. Adyashanti was having an interview conducted by a Buddhist interviewer and relayed his experience after years and years of meditating. The interviewer remarked that she had experienced it too and her teacher called it the divine coma.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey, yes even an enlightened person continues to know suffering; but they don't fall for the ol' "twin arrow" crap.....

Kia Ora @Jeffrey,

The physical body may still suffer the wear and tear of existence, but not the enlightened mind ie, no "sufferer" ...(Well this is what "I" take it to mean- but as usual "I" could be wrong)

Metta Shoshin . :) ..