Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

World Cup 2014

1235»

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2014

Bummed I have to work Tuesday and Wednesday and miss the semi-finals. Didn't do too great on my bracket, either. I did guess 3 of the 4 going to the semi-finals, though, so that's not bad. But with Neymar out, I'm not sure Brazil can win. Rooting for Germany if they make it to the finals.

• CittaCitta Veteran

I am not convinced that Brazil would have won even with Neymar @Jason.

But then I have thought that each round...and they are still there.

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. Even the commentators were talking shit about Brazil after each win. Hardly anyone gives them any credit. I wasn't 100% convinced they win, but I like them because they're playing at home, they have a lot of players I like (a few from Chelsea), and they looked really good in a few qualifiers I saw, so I'm rooting for them. Next to them, I'm a Germany fan; so either way I'll be happy, but I picked Brazil in 2 out 3 of my brackets.

• Woah93Woah93 Veteran

I'm just bewildered by the fact that people care so much about the world cup. Here in the netherlands suddenly everyone is a fan of football and nationalism is rampant. People riot over it. I can not think of anything more stupid

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well, then I am stupid @Woah93.

• Woah93Woah93 Veteran

Depends, Citta I think I put it a bit bluntly. But I was aiming at those who just take it too far. IE being severely depressed when one or another country wins/loses or violence that goes on after these games. I do like a good game of football myself but the way that world cup is being sensationalized is massively out of proportion IMO.

edited July 2014

I don't know, I just like the game and follower players I like regardless of where they're from. For me, one of the big appeals of soccer is that it's a truly international sport. Nationalism has nothing to do with it for me. I was actually rooting for Germany and Ghana against the US during the group stage. lol

• CittaCitta Veteran

Brazil -Germany...its a rout !

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

WHAT THE HELL IS WITH BRAZIL??

Down 5 - 0 all within the first half??

Jeesh, talk about a walk-over!!

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited July 2014

It looks like that defense was daydreaming...
    Or they miss Thiago Silva and their organisation is gone?

Attachment to brackets = so much dukkha right now. Engage non-attachment, stat!

Vastmind
  • CittaCitta Veteran

@Citta said:
    Can't see Brazil beating Germany or the Netherlands based on last night's performance against Mexico.

It may be the weight of expectation of course, they might improve.

What an unattractive trait gloating is..tsk tsk... ( mwah hah hah! )

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I think The Netherlands will beat Argentina. I predict a German-Dutch final....

• CittaCitta Veteran

Unless Messi upsets that scenario...

That could be messy....

• CheChe Veteran

VastmindfedericaJeffrey
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

The Brazil game ... :eek: ....

That wasn't a 'game'. It was a complete pulverising.

I know, right? I felt so bad for some of the players after....You could see the moments that it dawned on them what just happened....

Apparently the Germans were furious they let in one goal.... I think it was a charitable mercy they did.... or maybe it just made the Brazilians look even worse....

Jesus.....

BunksVastmind
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
  • zenffzenff Veteran

Those who didn’t watch last night’s semi-final to the end were right. It was a dramatically poor display.
    The game desperately needed a goal in order to force one side into taking more risks.
    Unfortunately that never happened and all we saw was decent defending from both sides.

The Netherlands did better than I (like most people) expected in this tournament. The defense – on paper – had no world class players, but it turned out to perform quite well.
    I suppose the real weakness was in midfield. You can’t expect Robben and Van Persie to decide every game when you can only reach them with an occasional desperate long kick.
    It worked great against Spain but after that it proved to be insufficient.

Good luck to Germany now! I hope they find a way to break the Argentina defense and win it.

The game was boring and tedious.

And then Holland put their worst Goalkeeper in (never ever saved a penalty in the entire history of his career) and they put forward a poor player as a first penalty shooter - whose attempt (the first of the shoot-outs) was saved, thereby successfully lowering the morale of the Netherlands team, and bolstering the determination of the Argentines.
    The moment that first penalty was saved, it was a done deal.

QED.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Gee @federica, for someone who hates football you really hide it well! ;)

Vastmind

Actually, I'm parroting what my H said. He's the footie fanatic. I just try to sound interested. It makes for a change from other discussion too.... :D .

So much so that he actually predicted to his mates right at the start that either Argentina or Germany would make it to the Final.

And as it happens....!

But the 'Skyrim' thread?

No, really. I'm not into that one AT ALL, duck or no duck!! :lol: .

Bunks
  • Woah93Woah93 Veteran

I'm so glad dutchies lost lol. I can finally chill and drink a few beers in town without all these crazy supporters haha

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It's nearly over! Hurrah! :p

yes, but.... what's next on the agenda? isn't it the Commonwealth games....? SIGH.....

Bunks
  • I like to imagine the Pope and the Pope Emeritus sitting down together in Francis's room at the hostel to watch the Germany vs Argentina match. Could end in fisticuffs!

Invincible_summer

Wouldn't that be a spectacle worth selling tickets for! Hya Grandpops!! :wave: .

Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

What a game!! Beautiful goal...

Los, Deutschland los!

• CittaCitta Veteran

Well my prediction that it would be a one-sided game in favour of Germany was as inaccurate as most of my other World Cup 2014 prognostications...

I think I'll stick to the day job.

Invincible_summer

It actually was a boring game. Lots of drama, and much near-the-knuckle playing, but nothing of any note during the game. I'd have been more impressed with a main-match goal, frankly.

And accepted with as much grace as a camel with toothache.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:
    It actually was a boring game.

Yes, it was. I thought there might be a couple of punch-ups, which I guess would have livened things up a bit.. :p

federicaInvincible_summer

I'm just glad it didn't end with penalties.... See ya in 4 years .... :D ...

Bunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

SOOO PROUD TO BE SECOND!! ..:clap: ..
    I mean, I don't give a doubt about football, but happy to see that Argentina did put a good fight till the end.
    Sometimes too literally, perhaps, but the Germans are no sweet babies, either.
    Only drawback is, we eat in Germany at least three times a week and we do our shopping there (we're a fifteen-minute drive away from the border) and now I have to stand all those beer-guts in their Mannschaft t-shirts boasting about the victory ..:grumble: ..

Invincible_summer

I was rooting for Germany from the beginning, but wouldn't have been too upset if Argentina came out on top - they definitely gave it their all.

Buddhadragon