Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Dhamma Brothers

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

Greetings, wise Sangha. Many of you have probably seen this, but if you have Netflix you might want to check out The Dhamma Brothers, which documents the implementation of an intensive (and apparently successful) vipassana meditation program at a maximum security prison in Alabama. (I thought it was amazing that they were able to get the program implemented deep in the Bible Belt, never mind in a prison there.)

For those of you who have seen this documentary, I am curious to know if you think a 10 day meditation program can really turn a person around from being a violent murderer to a nearly saint-like being (as some of these individuals appear to be at the end of the film). Thoughts, opinions?

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Here's a thread we had on it....there's an update on the guys too ..

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/19799/documentary-the-dhamma-brothers

mmo
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Thanks @Vastmind‌ , sorry I didn't see that thread!

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

No problem.. :) ... Yes the search feature is acting up right now....your best bet is to Google NewBuddhist+whatever subject....that will usually get you a couple of threads...we hate to pull up real old threads like from last year and even more than a couple of months...so after reading what people thought of things awhile ago...you can start a new thread....afterall, the crowds come and go...and some are still here and some are on hiadus.... :) ...

zenguitaranataman
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    For those of you who have seen this documentary, I am curious to know if you think a 10 day meditation program can really turn a person around from being a violent murderer to a nearly saint-like being (as some of these individuals appear to be at the end of the film). Thoughts, opinions?

Inspiring documentary. Yes it can and does.

I worked in a prison for a short while. Horrible environment. For some people better than the environment they came from . . . Not everyone has it easy (cue Monty Python 'of course we had it tough')

:bowdown:

These guys did something truly miraculous. Don't wait to be in jail (samsara) to practice . . .

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

@zenguitar said:
    Greetings, wise Sangha. Many of you have probably seen this, but if you have Netflix you might want to check out The Dhamma Brothers, which documents the implementation of an intensive (and apparently successful) vipassana meditation program at a maximum security prison in Alabama. (I thought it was amazing that they were able to get the program implemented deep in the Bible Belt, never mind in a prison there.)

Take a look at Noah Levine as he was a man into a lot of drugs and a bad lifestyle.. He is very great and I respect how he talks from his experience.

zenguitaranataman