Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quite upset about this..

edited January 2007 in Buddhism Today
Hi, I just found this article on the net and I wondered why someone who writes for a ‘peace’ website would write such a thing.
It states that the Dalai Lama is a racist.

While reading through it, It seems that the author is lacking in a basic understanding of the Dalai Lama and the history of Tibet.

I’d be interested to know anyone else’s option on this rather upsetting article.

Comments

• edited December 2006
    I just read that article as well and astounded that someone would call him a racist. I don't know what else to really say except, wow.

I just noticed this part of the articale about the writer...

"Bevin Chu is an American architect of Chinese descent registered to practice in Texas. Currently living and working in Taiwan, Chu is the son of a retired high-ranking diplomat with the ROC (Taiwan) government. His column, "The Strait Scoop," now appears Fridays at Antiwar.com."

So basically it just seems to be more mislead chinese propaganda.
  • edited December 2006
    i wudnt pay much attention to it.. the guy has much hate.. and is only babbling on about his personal issues.
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited December 2006
    This is just typical Chinese Communist propaganda. It is disconcerting, to be sure, but don't let it affect you too much. And I'm afraid you will find much of this tripe over time. However, major media does not accept it as credible & neither will most people once you inform them that this is just typical Chinese Communist propaganda.

_/\_
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, I'd agree. This is straight out of the Red Chinese playbook. This guy may actually be the son of a ROC ambassador, but he's been brainwashed by the commies. But we've had them on this site as well. Remember?

Palzang
  • edited December 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    i wudnt pay much attention to it.. the guy has much hate.. and is only babbling on about his personal issues.

Nice change in latitude there-
  • edited December 2006
    So basically it just seems to be more mislead chinese propaganda.

Funny you should say that, there has been a rejection of Wa- Mart due to it's affiliation with China, in this area anyway. It's kinda hard, if not impossible,to talk yourself out of something you behaved yourself into.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I would tend to pay that web page scant regard. The fact that the author neglects to mention that the 'area of China that the Dalia Lama wishes to be given independence' actually happens to be Tibet, and not part of China, speaks volumes. Most intelligent people will dismiss this page, and treat it with the disdain it deserves. How can he know the truth about Tibet, when the Google search engine and other similar sites in China insist that Tibet does not exist? I don't feel anger for him, only pity.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I am far from surprised that the PRC, as Imperial China before them, claim that Tibet is an integral part of China. It is the nature of continent-spanning empires that they assert some sort of 'manifest destiny' which permits the strongest to assimilate the weaker. HHDL's plan for Tibet envisages autonomy within the PRC, not independence, which is why there is a genuine Tibetan radical movement which opposes his idea.
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Read the Dalai Lama's acceptance speech of the Nobel Peace Prize and you will see that all assertations by this author are false.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/1989/lama-acceptance.html
  • edited December 2006
    Hi ZenLunatic! Where have you been???
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I am far from surprised that the PRC, as Imperial China before them, claim that Tibet is an integral part of China. It is the nature of continent-spanning empires that they assert some sort of 'manifest destiny' which permits the strongest to assimilate the weaker. HHDL's plan for Tibet envisages autonomy within the PRC, not independence, which is why there is a genuine Tibetan radical movement which opposes his idea.

I'm glad we in the US never engaged in such activity!

Palzang

P.S. I'm kidding, in case you couldn't tell!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited December 2006
    Palzang wrote:
    I'm glad we in the US never engaged in such activity!

Palzang

P.S. I'm kidding, in case you couldn't tell!

.....nor we in England! (I would put "hollow-LOL" if I could find a smiley that satisfied me)
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited December 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    Hi ZenLunatic! Where have you been???

Hi :)

School, work, and other commitments have kept me busy. But I check in on your guys from time to time

Hope all is well with you and the rest of the boards!

ZL
  • edited December 2006
    It's good to see you!
  • edited January 2007
    ALL I KNOW IS WHAT I'VE HEARD THE DALI LAMA SAY DURING HIS VARIOUS TALKS... .THERE'S NO WAY THIS GUY CAN BE ACURRATETLY LABELLED A"RASCIST".