Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Whats the best advice you've ever been given

HollyRose1HollyRose1 Explorer
edited August 2014 in Buddhism Basics

life is too short to live with regret ,
love the ones who treat you right
forget the one's who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
if you get a chance take it
if it changes your life let it .
no one said it was going to be easy they just said it was going to be worth it.
-bob Marley

rohitJeffreyDaveadamsmithril

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2014

Let it go.

It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't.

rohitfederica
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

If it feels good, do it.
    When in doubt, don't.

In matters of taste, swim with the current.
    In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

Never be prepared to die for your beliefs or principles. You may just be wrong.
    Instead, keep an open mind, and an open door.

Physical wounds heal.
    Cuts inflicted by words can take a lifetime, to just feel a little less painful.

Actions speak louder than words.

Fine words don't butter parsnips.

Don't eat yellow snow.

HollyRose1Bunks
  • Remain cheerful in all things

Drive all blames into one

Abandon hope of fruition

Bring all obstacles to the path

HollyRose1Earthninjasova
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited August 2014

Kia Ora,

"Believe nothing, no matter who said it, not even if I said it, if it doesn't fit in with your own reason and common sense !"

The Buddha

One can't get any better advice than that.....

Metta Shoshin . :) ..

HollyRose1EarthninjaJeffrey
  • HollyRose1HollyRose1 Explorer
    edited August 2014

@Shoshin said:
    Kia Ora,

"Believe nothing, no matter who said it, not even if I said it, if it doesn't fit in with your own reason and common sense !"

The Buddha

that is one of the quotes i tell others most of the time

• Receive advice rather than give it.

VastmindEarthninjaJeffreyhow
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

This is apparent to me over and over in my life, the quote isn't necessary but I find it sums up the idea quite well
    “The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.” (Richard Bach)

Just because you are related to someone doesn't mean you owe them your devotion and respect. Just because you are not related to someone doesn't mean you aren't family.

HollyRose1Vastmindmmomithril
  • very inspiring

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

@HollyRose1 said:

Very inspiring.

Agreed.

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran
    edited August 2014

To look both ways before crossing the street.

This advice is keeping in good health to practice samadhi, so i can one day free myself from samsara, Its also the reason why i'm a Buddhist.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Can I add "don't eat the yellow snow" ? LOL

EarthninjaBunksHollyRose1
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

One day you will look up at the stars and say to yourself "Why, that's me!" - Alan Watts

HollyRose1
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

To be myself. If people don't like me, that's okay. The people who do like me, including a potential spouse, will like me for who I really am. In the long run it has led to better friendships and relationships that are more fulfilling and honest.

BunksSarahTHollyRose1
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

"In each moment, we are always doing the best we can."

JeffreyEarthninjaVastmindHollyRose1

KIa Ora,

"This too shall pass !"

ToraldrisHollyRose1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@karasti said:
    Can I add "don't eat the yellow snow" ? LOL

No, I already said it. You're just following my advice. Which is good! :lol: .

SarahTVastmind

@vinlyn said:
    Not to take much advice from online.

Heh heh...I see what you did there...... ;) . :D .

• Al Paccino in the movie Scent of a Woman "when in doubt #%^#"

Bunks
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

It embarrassed the daylights out of me but I really respected the person who gave it:

"How dare you force your friend to listen to your problems when she came over to study? It was incredibly selfish, no wonder she's angry with you."

HollyRose1
  • "We are what we don't throw away: Teddy bears and bar bells."

Daniel Holden from the series Rectify on the Sundance Channel; Season 2; Episode 5.

Not sure if this was actually advice but it sure lit a motivational fire for me to begin purging the unnecessary "stuff" from my home and work environments.

Vastmindmithril
  • Have as few expectations as possible. If anything expect the worst. Thst way you'll be pleasantly surprised by whatever happens.

"Anything you cannot relinquish when it has outlives its usefulness, possesses you, and in this materialistic age, a great many of us are possessed by our possessions."

>

Mildred Lisette Norman.

"What lies behind you and what lies before you, pales in comparison to what lies inside you."

>

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

Best advice I ever got from my Zen teacher is when he said "Sorry! Nothing I can say can help you!" :lol:

rohitlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

It is not about you.

VastmindlobsterBunkszenguitar
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    1. Never trust anything but your own ability.

2. Never regret a decision, instead make change for the better.

3. Keep calm and composed whatever happens. There is no limit to the mistakes I have made not following this one. And it makes it so hard to do no 2.

HollyRose1
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

All the advice I've ignored... :p

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Advice to self:

Give whatever you're doing 100% commitment but don't worry about the outcome....

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2014

Really Bunks?
    I am sure you have not thought about it in this way but
    most driven but ethically challenged individuals might love that nugget.

Bunks
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

No I haven't thought about it in that way because I am neither driven (apart from in a spiritual sense) or ethically challenged (well not most of the time I hope!)

That's why I only give the advice to myself :)

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.

If you still fail, give up. There's no point being an idiot about it.

lobsterhowvinlyn
  • Never Mind likes and dislikes; they are of no consequence. Just do what must be done. This may not be happiness, but it is greatness.

• George Bernard Shaw

@Bunks said:
    Give whatever you're doing 100% commitment but don't worry about the outcome....

I always worry about the outcome :p

edited August 2014

It's new-age jargon, but leaving that aside, the advice is actually quite profound - and extremely 'Buddhist':

"Don't sweat the small stuff. And it's all 'small stuff'."

@federica said:
    It's new-age jargon, but leaving that aside, the advice is actually quite profound - and extremely 'Buddhist':

"Don't sweat the small stuff. And it's all 'small stuff'."

Disease, ageing and death don't feel like small stuff. :p

• Sliced or chunk, its still baloney.

Irrelevant. They are. It is we who make them out to be 'big stuff'.
    Disease is manageable, ageing is inevitable and - when you're dead, what exactly can you do about that big stuff? ;) .

edited August 2014

@federica said:

...when you're dead, what exactly can you do about that big stuff? ;) .

I'm not worried about after, it's the before that concerns me. ;)

Well, I did touch on the 'before' bits... why not worry about it WHEN it happens?

You know, we assume - and presume - too much. Here you are, concerned about sickness and ageing - and actually, what guarantees have you got that you'll even get that far? I would never wish this on anyone, but you know the saying: "The trouble is, you think you have time". Instead of fretting about the future, practise the present.

• robotrobot Veteran

"Don't stare at women like that. They don't like it."

"Take care of the fishing, the money will take care of itself.

DairyLamaBunks

Kia Ora,

Whats the best advice you've ever been given ?

Don't worry be happy.......

Kia Ora,

Whats the best advice you've ever been given ?

Never borrow money from an optimist ...They always expect to get it back!

Always borrow money from a pessimist ...They never expect to be paid back!

vinlyn
  • to stop before I act, speak, write, etc. and think; does it truely matter?

Does my acting, speaking, writing ect. truely contributes to more peace, harmony, joy, love, 'good' karma,

"It's time you came down now"

( over radio on a hang-gliding course )