Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Second Life

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
edited August 2014 in Sanghas

I know this has been posted here before, but I don't think very recently and I've been wondering if anyone is currently involved in the Buddha Center there.

Short backstory: Second Life is a free online video game that seems similar to the SIMS. Instead of revolving around plots or fighting or whatever, the point is more about just interacting with people. You can build houses, talk with people, attend events, and design clothes, etc.

So, I've recently signed up because where I'm currently living is waaay far away from any Buddhist center of any tradition and it was suggested to me on another website. At the Buddha Center in Second Life, they have many scheduled meetings and events where you can attend talks or meet for silent meditation... all through your computer.

Here is a list of their upcoming events and the people who teach them.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what you thought.

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

I've listened to YouTube talks that were given through second life. You can interact with the speaker/teacher which I think is awesome.
    I've not tried it though. ?

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

I think what appeals to me most is the scheduled meetings in real time. Of course, there is an abundance of dharma talks on youtube and the internet, but it'd be nice to actually feel like I have a connection to the speaker, if even small, which is what I've been missing lately since going to an actual center isn't an option for me at the moment. I'm kind of hoping that having real times and meeting points set up will be the kick in the butt that I need, heh.

Earthninja
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited August 2014

I've been on staff at the buddha center for a few years now. That will be ending as I go to the monastery next week. Did you find it via my recent link on reddit?

The Buddha center has played a very big role in helping me learn and practice dhamma and it has been very important for my practice the past three years. It is a great place for those who do not have a regular sangha close to them. I first found Venerable Yuttadhammo through his teaching on Buddha Center, among other monastics.

Also they are always looking for volunteers who want to put in time leading meditation sessions and other events. it's a place just like any other sangha, run completely from the dana of others, whether time or money.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@zombiegirl said:
    Here is a list of their upcoming events and the people who teach them.
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this and what you thought.

I came across this recently - it looks like a useful resource.

• I luvs it.

It certainly is a modern form of Tantra or visualisation aid. Have not been there for a year or so BUT it is a form of commitment and discipline that can work.

The Linux version is a bit of a pain to set up and I don't think my laptop is up to it in the graphics dept.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

What's "linux" - a modern cruise liner or something? :p

BhikkhuJayasaraanataman
  • Linux for those unfamiliar is an operating system for penguins . . .
    http://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/784060-the-complete-beginners-guide-to-linux

It can be very technical. I mostly use Puppy Linux.

• adeleadele Blackpool Rocks! Explorer

I joined second life last week just to go to the Buddha Centre, but although I have worked out the time difference from SLT to GMT - six and a half hours - whenever I go there it is empty so I was wondering if anyone does go - or am i just getting the times totally wrong. thanks.

• I tried meditation with 'hangouts app' with my sangha. My sangha is in the UK whereas I am USA. It was cool but at the same time all I saw were the backs of people meditating while I was meditating. Still it was nice.