Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and brainwaves.

So I am wondering what people think about this one. I see a lot of company's boasting about binaural beats apparently inducing any brain state you want in particular the Alpha and Theta stage which is achieved through long periods of meditation. Some even went as far as saying it's "effortless enlightenment" :/

Anyway the theory is that 2 frequencies which slightly alternate from each other in stereo headphones stimulate the brain in ways that create the desired state one usually seeks to experience by meditating.

Anyway, not that I buy into all these grandiose claims which is obviously a big moneymaker for the most gullible but I have come across some free generators (http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/binauralBrainwaveGenerator.php) which do create some notable changes.

So, with the rise of technology do you think buddhist meditation could embrace these new things or should we stick to the tried and true?

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2014

This is a good question. I see no harm in trying it. Horseless carriages weren't around in the Buddha's time, but I don't think he would have objected to using one.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

It implies relying on something external, which is as good as relying on something external can be.

mfranzdorfBunksWoah93sova
  • I have tried and explored binaural beats extensively.

I personally find binaural beats no more effective than listening to relaxation nature sounds or ambient music for inducing calm or relaxed states and far less effective than yoga nidra or hypnotic relaxation induction. I personally found the Schumann resonance to be the most relaxing . . .
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances

Keeping the mind gently focussed on a white noise source such as waves or bubbling brook will put us into a mild trance state. Trance is not meditation but may be calming and healing and of benefit. So in a sense it can be a precursor to restful sleep and relaxation. If you are in a noisy environment, 'working with the noise' may be initially too advanced . . . Use headphones.
    http://www.noisli.com

:wave: .

Buddhadragonmmo
  • I can see trying it out, but don't go into it with the idea that you will attain something grand, such as the "effortless enlightenment" that is advertised. If you find that it works for you, experiment some more, but don't rely on it. You have all that you need already.
    I've checked them out, and the concept is interesting because I think the power of the brain is greater than we know, but it could never be a replacement for the old school method :om:

Buddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Any outside noise affects my tinnitus and often aggravates it. White Noise actually makes it louder. I will opt for peace and quiet every time as any possible alleged benefits are negated by the frustration of inner ear cacophony.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

It would be interesting to hook up an experienced meditator to an fMRI and do some comparisons. I suppose the real deal is if it 'works' for you, if it appears to be beneficial in some way -- not on the predictable promotional 'testimonials'.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

@Woah93 said:
    So I am wondering what people think about this one. I see a lot of company's boasting about binaural beats apparently inducing any brain state you want in particular the Alpha and Theta stage which is achieved through long periods of meditation. Some even went as far as saying it's "effortless enlightenment" :/

Anyway the theory is that 2 frequencies which slightly alternate from each other in stereo headphones stimulate the brain in ways that create the desired state one usually seeks to experience by meditating.

Anyway, not that I buy into all these grandiose claims which is obviously a big moneymaker for the most gullible but I have come across some free generators (http://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/binauralBrainwaveGenerator.php) which do create some notable changes.

So, with the rise of technology do you think buddhist meditation could embrace these new things or should we stick to the tried and true?

The goal of meditaion is not really a special brainwave pattern. It is the change in worldview that is important.

You can grow the same muscles needed for shoveling gravel using a gym. But I assure you that when you get down to business there will be a difference.

But lets say someone invents a method to graft the neuralpattern, including the experience and insight of an arahant, directly into your brain.

Sure I will buy! :) .

Buddhadragon
    edited October 2014

I will try out the generator. Music and sound is known to induce physical response in animals.

Low frequency sound induces vomiting (I think german police experimented with this to disperse crowds) and classical music makes you smarter.

It has also been discover that playing music that you like really loud does not hurt your ears while listening to loud music that you do not like does.

Strange no?

I have studied/practised kiaijutsu a little and it is facinating how sound induces physical responses in humans.

/Victor

• As a musician and audio engineer, I have explored binaural beats and I find that the science is sound (no pun intended).

As lobster has pointed out, there are more effective ways of "getting there". The issue I have with the use of binaural beats is that it tries to force a pre determined state on the individual.

The natural sounds of waves, for example, are multi-dimensional. The mind can discern and focus on certain aspects of these sounds and use them to create its own sense of calm or relaxed states - which may or may not produce the same brain waves as it does in someone else.

It is possible to measure Alpha and Theta waves from the brain but I don't think creating those waves is really the objective. The detecting of these waves during or after Meditation is a result of being in the meditative state and not the cause.

edited October 2014

@charirama said:

The natural sounds of waves, for example, are multi-dimensional. The mind can discern and focus on certain aspects of these sounds and use them to create its own sense of calm or relaxed states - which may or may not produce the same brain waves as it does in someone else.

Interesting. I have managed to successfully reduce and even stop tinnitus on two separate occasions in my life. The sound of water flowing has proved very useful in the technique.

/Victor

• Yeah I love using sounds (non-distracting ones) and I'm generally much more sound oriented than the tactile sense used by some when focusing on the sensations of breathing.

But yeah I agree with Dhammadragon that crutches generally aren't good, but you can always look at it as a means to an end, not the end itself. The breath is in a sense also something external, anything with form actually is, even thoughts.

I think picking one thing with form and deliberate focus on that is the practice from which concentration and eventually meditation springs. So if we apply that practice to a sound which produces the most beneficial state of mind scientifically along with it that could prove a big advantage right?

@Charirama What do you think about tracks which include nature sounds on top of the binaural beats, making the latter inaudible but still present?