Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dredging up old threads:

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited November 2016 in NewBuddhist.com

Would members (both old and new) please be advised:

In order to assist continuity and prevent the forum being "cluttered" by redundant topics (very often created by members who no longer participate, are active or even visiting) any revived threads in which the last post is over a year old, will be closed.
All members are of course more than welcome to begin a new thread, and even cite the previous one as a reference, but let's keep things hip, up to date and "In The Present" - !

Thanks!

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran

Will this tyranny by the mods ever end???????????

Arrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggg

zombiegirlNichyPaola
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Great.

Now I just know that in 13 months I'll be fighting the urge to dredge up this thread just to be a wise guy.

ToshBunksHamsakasilver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

If you're really stuck for material, pinch a topic from another forum. :p .

Nirvanasilver
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited October 2014

acknowledged with apologies to the mods and members

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Please don't worry. It happens a lot , which is why I thought it high time to post the above.

No harm done, at all.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

@federica said:
    Would members (both old and new) please be advised:

In order to assist continuity and prevent the forum being "cluttered" by redundant topics (very often created by members who no longer participate, are active or even visiting) any revived threads in which the last post is over a year old, will be closed.
    All members are of course more than welcome to begin a new thread, and even cite the previous one as a reference, but let's keep things hip, up to date and "In The Present" - !

Thanks!

How does one cite an ancient thread? I don't know how to do that. I can figure out how to make a link appear as a word or a phrase. What I do is click on the Quote function of a post that does this and kinda cut and paste till I get it right.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Well, the cite can be a word or phrase, and the citation link can be your browser address bar contents when you are looking at the old thread.

Nirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Nirvana said:....What I do is click on the Quote function of a post that does this and kinda cut and paste till I get it right.

Yep, that's all it takes.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2015

on threading up old dreads...

** tESTING **

@vinlyn said:
    http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5707300010006

Interesting concept -- 5 Thai villages to focus on the 5 Precepts.

Wish there were more info.

What I did only copied the post. It did not link to the random thread I chose for testing purposes.

Oh, Here's how @Straight_Man says to do it, which works: "The citation link [is] your browser address bar contents when you are looking at the old thread." This works from a computer, but not from an iPad.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/21682/interesting-short-article-about-the-5-precepts-in-5-villages-in-thailand#latest

Thanks, everyone!

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Sorry, do not own an iPad. But you are right, that is from my laptop.

Nirvana
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

On an iOS device, go to the top of the page, then tap the address bar. It should reveal the full address, highlighted. Tap the highlighted address again and the "Copy" option should appear.

edited March 2016

The main reasoning is that a large number of previous participants are no longer here as active members, which makes responding to their posts like whispering through a hole in the door, thinking there's someone in there, and there isn't.

The coherency and continuity of the thread is disjointed, and you evince comments and input from current members.
    Which really means that you might just as well do that in a new thread, providing a link in your first post to the original (old) one, and stating,

"In wishing to pick up on these points, I'd just like to add...."

This discussion has been closed.