Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Power of Labels

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited October 2014 in General Banter

Labels seem to take on a power of their own. Once they are attached, they become accepted with very little objectivity. Lojong mind training describes them as Three Objects, Three Poisons and Three Seeds of Virtue.

"Three Objects: Labeling our World
One way of looking at this slogan is that it is about the power of labels. It is about the way we categorize our world and what happens as a result. At a crude level and very quickly we are always sizing people up. We put the people we deal with into mental bins such as “friend,” “enemy” or “not worth bothering with.” We do this both individually and collectively."

I don't quite understand where the three objects that are spoken about are, but labeling is definitely one of the objects.

"Three Poisons: Fixed Reactions to Our Own Labels
When our labels become solid in that way, we can’t see past them, we can only react. And the way we do so, according to this slogan, is in three dysfunctional ways: by grasping, by hatred, and by avoidance or indifference. This trio is traditionally referred to as passion, aggression, and ignorance. As we scan our world, we pick out highlights and focus on those people who further or threaten our self-serving agendas, ignoring the rest. We are always struggling to draw in friends and push away enemies."

This one is self-explanatory.

"Three Virtuous Seeds: Taking Responsibility for Our Own Reactions
We first need to see this pattern at work. Then, when a poison such as hatred arises, instead of blaming the “enemy” that triggered such a response, we can see that hatred and the other poisons are our own creation. We can take full responsibility for them. Without the excuse of an external object, the poison is left hanging, with no support. When the three poisons arise, we can take them in and hope that, in doing so, others may be freed of such harmful patterns. In that way, we can transform the three poisons into the three virtuous seeds."

I love that Buddhism goes so much further than simply labeling things as bad or good and then expecting a person to work it out for themselves by rejecting or accepting. In Buddhism, antidotes are provided, and they are antidotes that work. Antidotes that don't require judgement, intolerance and hatred. Are there exceptions though? Are there instances where Buddhism does expect one to reject and hate?

This content was provided by http://www.tricycle.com/meditation-buddhist-practices/lojong/train-your-mind-lojong-commentary-judy-lief

mmopoptartJeffreyKundoBuddhadragon

Comments

• Are there instances where Buddhism does expect one to reject and hate?

Can't think of any. Acceptance with equanimity is the best course.

Rowan1980AllbuddhaBoundHamsaka
  • On one hand, Lojong slogans provide what I would call an antidote, but on the other hand, is #4, self-liberate even the antidote. When we accept the antidote as truth, that too becomes suffering. It is so complex and relentless.

Hamsaka
  • NeleNele Veteran
    edited October 2014

@AllbuddhaBound said:

I don't quite understand where the three objects that are spoken about are, but labeling is definitely one of the objects.>

I think the three "objects" are the three possible categories we may use in labeling: either it's a good, bad, or neutral object to us. Thus the three "poisons" - grasping, hating, or indifference - are our possible responses to whether we see an object as good, bad, or neutral.

AllbuddhaBound
  • cool I am also reading Training the Mind. Love it; reading it for the 3rd time.

• For those of you requiring the label 'Ultra Spiritual' here are some useful tips . . .

AllbuddhaBound
  • I hear you brother. Sangha of the sarcastic.

lobsteranataman