Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is There Room For Rudeness & Meanness In Ones Dharma Practice ?

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited November 2014 in General Banter

Greetings & Respect ....

Thus I have heard "There is no such thing as a stupid question......Only stupid answers!"

Some members ask many questions, expecting answers that will help further their practice in some way, And at times these questions can come across as somewhat repetitive,(it would seem that the asker wants to cross all the t's and dot all the i's ...which is fair enough) however this can lead to a harsh response by other members whom it would seem have run out of "patience", they either belittle the questioning member or voice their frustration and impatience at the member's lack of understanding or worse still the 'mob mentality' takes over and the poor member is attacked from all sides (I can only smile at the irony as I write this) ...

Now I know for all of us "Buddhas in training" we each have our own way of expressing our understanding when it come to Dharma practice...But is rudeness & meanness (and dare I say arrogance) really what the Buddha would recommend ? Are we really teaching a Dharma lesson ? Or is it just another one of our defilements surfacing (coated in an artificial Dharmic sweetener) ?

Putting "Pride" aside...Do you think that rudeness/meanness and impatience have a place in Dharma practice ?

And now a word from our sponsor Rasta Bob.........

"Who the cap fits"

Vanilli

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited November 2014

Respect must go both ways though. You can ask respectfully, in a friendly manner or as a smartass/douchebag. If you choose the latter, well you get what you give. It's human nature.

silverBuddhadragonlobsterpegembara
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Time to don the full metta-jacket again..... :neutral_face:

Sometimes, people 'forget' themselves. Sometimes, as happens with all human beings, people let rip, when they shouldn't.
    To be honest though, if we're thinking of people being rude, mean or simply bad-tempered on this forum, in comparison to some other forums I have known, we're actually a pretty nice bunch. No, we are. Honest.

KundolobsterSarahT
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    Respect must go both ways though. You can ask respectfully, in a friendly manner or as a smartass/douchebag. If you choose the latter, well you get what you give. It's human nature.

"An eye for an eye will make the world blind" Gandi

SarahTSunspot5254

@Shoshin said:
    "An eye for an eye will make the world blind" Gandi

*Ghandi

And practising Idiot Compassion helps no one.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question @Shoshin?

Shoshin

@Bunks said:
    I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question Shoshin?

Yes, it was just food for thought.... but what will be will be :)

Bunks

@‌taiyaki

"we never have a clue who is behind these posts. how their day went. what their year is like. ,maybe they are dealing with stress? maybe someone died. it's all highly questionable and really we should examine it all because it only leads to humility in the fact that really even though we think its clear it could be otherwise."

Precisely :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Oh good grief... rhetorical questions.....!

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

It didn't strike me as rhetorical at all, but that's just me.

NO, there's no room or place for cruelty or meanness in a dharma practice. Typically what comes across as mean or cruel is like you said, impatience. What, you haven't figured it out yet? I explained it SO WELL, what's the mattah with you?

I suspect it doesn't FEEL 'mean' while it's being written. Mostly the intention is not to give a hard smack and shame someone.

We say to others what we most commonly say to ourselves. A person who comes off as very critical is seething inside with too much self criticism. It's no excuse for bad behavior but it does 'explain' a bit.

One statement said to five individuals will get different responses, having moved through five different sets of sense doors with their filters and assumptions. Otherwise we'd all be the same, mainly because we ARE the same :D

I've moderated on two different support forums for domestic abuse over the years. Let's just say I much prefer to be one of the chickens. It's difficult to hold down the fort when mob mentality flames up. The villagers with pitchforks are no fun for moderators either.

I agree this place is uniquely patient and agreeable, it's why I hang out at least once a day. I have grown fond of the curmudgeons. Uniquely lovable curmudgeons, which I suspect is something that can only happen in a well moderated board. Shit rolls down hill, and where I'm at, there ain't a lot of shit! I appreciate that very much!

pegembaraShoshinSunspot5254

:)

Hamsakalobster
    edited November 2014

It would seem its hit a nerve for some...I'm just saying what "some" are thinking when the mob attacks happen....Are they really necessary/beneficial ?

• I think attacking suspect members can be thrilling and it becomes a feeding frenzy so to speak. I am as guilty as the next guy. By suspect members I mean some who kind of hit the nerve. The reason isn't merely excitement and a feeding frenzy. Sometimes we get a member who is kind of toxic and I feel they should be challenged. I can't explain this exactly but I do feel that sometimes we get toxic members.

silverRowan1980lobster

@Jeffrey said:
    I think attacking suspect members can be thrilling and it becomes a feeding frenzy so to speak. I am as guilty as the next guy. By suspect members I mean some who kind of hit the nerve. The reason isn't merely excitement and a feeding frenzy. Sometimes we get a member who is kind of toxic and I feel they should be challenged. I can't explain this exactly but I do feel that sometimes we get toxic members.

Should we be challenging them ? Or our attitude towards them @jeffery ?

• I think both. We should be skillful but still challenge them.

ShoshinsilverBuddhadragonlobster
    edited November 2014

@Hamsaka said:

there ain't a lot of shit! I appreciate that very much!

A person whose constipated will beg to differ :D

Rowan1980personHamsakaSarahT

@Shoshin said:
    It would seem its hit a nerve for some...I'm just saying what others are thinking when the mob attacks happen....Are they really necessary/beneficial ?

But are others thinking it? We all have a keyboard and can interject. Maybe they really do agree and are keeping quiet. Or maybe they've flagged the post for a mod. We don't know.

I have real issues with posts that chastise in the guise of being peacemaker or "reminding" us of the Dharma. And here's why - it's cowardly. If you see a post you disagree with, speak up at the time. Even if to ask for clarification. You've even said that we could be misinterpreting the intention of the poster. It doesn't hurt to ask and it's certainly more skillful. Also, if anyone's going to do a group chastising, it should be the mods and administrators.

vinlyn

@Jeffrey said:
    I think both. We should be skillful but still challenge them.

That's true...But it's the "skilfulness" that's the sticky part...

At times it seems like it's the trigger happy, tongue lashing approach as opposed to the calm Zen-like manner-with no anger or frustration in the tone...

• Absolutely.

@dhammachick said:
    I have real issues with posts that chastise in the guise of being peacemaker or "reminding" us of the Dharma. And here's why - it's cowardly. If you see a post you disagree with, speak up at the time. Even if to ask for clarification. You've even said that we could be misinterpreting the intention of the poster. It doesn't hurt to ask and it's certainly more skillful. Also, if anyone's going to do a group chastising, it should be the mods and administrators.

You have every right to feel the way you do @dhammachick, and you can disagree with all what I've said...Whatever floats your boat...And there's no anger or frustration packed ino these words... :)

@Jeffrey said:
    Absolutely.

"Fabulous" :)

Indeed. And there's no anger in mine either. Just stating an opinion like you.

Shoshin
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@dhammachick said:

I agree with all of that in principal; though, the part where steady members could ask for clarification or whatever, sometimes peeps aren't up to it because of their own private issues. But I've known the feeling of wondering why doesn't somebody say something ... so sometimes, I do.

ShoshinKundo
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Sometimes a question and answer session, breaks through to the heart of what dharma really is! It's a method to bring realisation and dialogue is so important. Of course be rude or mean, nice or clean, but as pointed out above motivation and intention, thats what paves and supports the path of the life we lead...

So no matter how repetitive and boring the same questions repeatedly come from beginners, middlers and enders, what lies behind them serves as reminders of how we continue to reflect on ourselves and view ourselves in that reflection.

Sometimes it's nice
    Sometimes its not
    Sometimes its cold
    Sometimes its hot

Steady of mind
    We relax and unwind
    But unsteady minds
    May well be unkind

Just Thoughts....

ShoshinsilverBuddhadragon

Often right speech is no speech.

ShoshinlobsterSarahT
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Depends who is speaking I suppose?

ShoshinBunks
    edited November 2014

@Bunks said:
    Often right speech is no speech.

So Oz has a Buddha training school too then ? :D

"Brillient"

We bloody need one!!!! :smile:

lobsterShoshinSarahT
  • Pema Chodron is on Facebook and this is what she suggests when we feel we need to correct people:

"The on-the-spot practice of being fully present, feeling your heart, and greeting the next moment with an open mind can be done at any time: when you wake up in the morning, before a difficult conversation, whenever fear or discomfort arises. This practice is a beautiful way to claim your warriorship, your spiritual warriorship. In other words, it is a way to claim your courage, your kindness, your strength. Whenever it occurs to you, you can pause briefly, touch in with how you're feeling both physically and mentally, and then connect with your heart-even putting your hand on your heart, if you want to. This is a way of extending warmth and acceptance to whatever is going on for you right now. You might have an aching back, an upset stomach, panic, rage, impatience, calmness, joy-whatever it is, you can let it be there just as it is, without labeling it good or bad, without telling yourself you should or shouldn't be feeling that way. Having connected with what is, with love and acceptance, you can go forward with curiosity and courage. I call this step "taking a leap."
    (From Pema's book "Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change")"

lobsterShoshinRowan1980
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited November 2014

It's always hard being the new kid on the block. I remember messaging Aunt Fede and saying...."Aghhhh....what do I do? It's so hard being a newbie"...She re assured me it's part of the experience and everyone was once new. It's an experience only you can go through to figure this thing out.

I disagree that there is any 'ganging' going on. How in the world can we control the number of like minded people agreeing on a topic? Say your opinion....stick to it or dont. Own your stuff. The gangs I know kick your ass and force you through social, physical, and economic means to do harm to others. We sit here and conversate....hardly gang activity. We do not insult and if anything, most of us sign off at the sign of serious conflict. I have gotten into heated discussions with two other women here...and we both threw a little shade....and they both will be getting Christmas cards from me. Why? The heart is golden and their intentions have been nothing but good towards me. Just part of learning to get along in the same sandbox and learning to hang out with people who are different than you.

Dharma is not all unicorns and bunnies...as much as I would love it be...hahahaha.

The rude and mean people get quickly dealt with by Aunt Fede or an admin. If you are expecting me to promise never to have a rough day with impatience or not be frank and blunt.....then you might not have spent enough time here with me. I might even say something you don't want to hear and vice versa. The active ones and even lurkers who spend enough attention....get to know each other's ways....and intentions and how we each operate.

This OP is rocking the boat...IMO. You are more than welcome to be here with the group (not gang)....and putting positive seeds out there and setting an example is more productive than asking a question you already know the answer to.

One of my fav Bob songs.....

Oh please...dont rock my boat...I like it like this....:)...

ShoshinKundoRowan1980
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited November 2014

@Shoshin
    Rudeness and meanness are very subjective and are better described by their intent than by how they are received. Tough to do on the Net.
    However...

Trolls,
    folks with the same thinly veiled criticisms of Buddhism presented as questions to which they don't appear to ever hear any answers to
    and
    love & light drivelists
    can be assured that I always love them all in the nastiest way possible..

ShoshinVastmindSarahTBuddhadragon

@Vastmind said:

This OP is rocking the boat...IMO. You are more than welcome to be here with the group (not gang)....and putting positive seeds out there and setting an example is more productive than asking a question you already know the answer to.

I appreciate your opinion @Vastmind‌ ....that's what it's all about... :)

Vastmind

@how said:
    Shoshin
    Rudeness and meanness are very subjective and are better described by their intent than by how they are received. Tough to do on the Net.
    However...

Trolls,
    folks with the same thinly veiled criticisms of Buddhism presented as questions to which they don't appear to ever hear any answers to
    and
    love & light drivelists
    can be assured that I always love them all in the nastiest way possible..

True @how,

But even Trolls are "suffering" otherwise they wouldn't be trolling..... :)

SarahTRowan1980

@lobster said:
    We might call it the dharma heritage. Civility and courtesy means we do welcome the people we once were. I would suggest we change. We are on a path.

Being kind when we wish to scream is part of the monkey mind settling advocated by the 'meditation uber alles' alliance. Some are on other aspects of the journey. Screaming at themselves, the nearest email or the hot soup for example.
    Kindness by example. Iz a plan . . .

True @lobster,

We are all at different stages of the path, finding our "own" way through the banana trees of life... :)

@Hamsaka said:
    Yeah, no shit :D

A person with Diarrhea would beg to differ :D

I think we're done here, frankly.

This discussion has been closed.