Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is success ?

Do you consider your self a success?
If not , who is the person you consider successful and why ?

Comments

• I don't feel like a success at all times much like most people I think. I expect myself to be able to do things such as follow up on my tutoring job and then I got angry against myself. The person who is successful doesn't have to mean making much money. For me success would be if I had a solid psyche and emotional stability. And also courage and sense of judgement to do what I set out on or wish for.

cook99
  • jeff, anyone you consider successful?

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Success to me, means being accepting and contented with whatever circumstance life happens to put in my way.
    Having inner peace and equanimity under the most trying circumstances, when the wind does not blow at your back, but also being able to recognize happiness when it happens and rejoice in it.
    Striving to attain my goals, hopefully not have unrealistic goals, not attach excessively to my own personal idea of what life should be, and leave room for improvisation when life has other plans.

Nirvana
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

If I considered myself a success, I would have nowhere to keep growing towards. Not an attractive proposition to me! :confused: I can say I was successful at school, in my career and that I currently have a successful marriage but none of those make me a success. I still have a long journey to travel - a whole lifetime.

The only people I consider successful are those who have died at peace with themselves and others.

Kundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I consider a person successful if they evaluate the true general worth and benefit of everything they think, say and do, and consider whether there's any point to it before the follow through. Like creating threads like this one for example

:sigh:

NirvanaBunksBuddhadragon
  • "Success" is such a confusing label, because does not have a universal definition. It is personally defined and evaluated, so it doesn't make much sense to judge others based on your own definition.

I never really had any "life goals", except that I try to stay alive and be happy, so I guess I can say that I'm a success.

• Except to say that others work tirelessly on your behalf; ie the root of success is stubborn labour!?

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2014

I missed the Success Orientation Semester, I must confess. It's just a label some people use to differentiate between "losers" and choosers, IMO. You cannot take any material thing with you. I concur with what @DhammaDragon‌ and @federica‌ say above: those sentiments sound like goals to me. Success does not rely on fulfilling very specific, narrow goals, but on meeting desired goals.

Happiness is the real goal in life. It consists in following one's own bliss. The word "success," if bandied around too much can just be disingenuous, I think. At any rate, usage of that word does seem to me to reek of egoism and judgment.

Buddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

One of my fave hip hop bands pondered the same thing a few years back.

• Do you consider your self a success?

When I don't need to ask or answer, I consider that a success.

SarahTsilver
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2014

@cook99

Define success?

• I am success ful because I did well in school and went to a prestigious university . before age of 40 , I earned enough money so that I dont need to work for the rest of my life . I also give money to charity often.
    I admire people like warren buffet and bill gates because they give a large proportion of their wealth to charity.

• In our society, earning a lot of money is considered successful.
    To me if you are a leader in your field or if you are very good at what you do, you are also successful.
    In that sense , I am not successful.
    I think Donald trump is very successful esp how he recovered from bankruptcy.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

DT? Excess is Excess, not Success!

Buddhadragon
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Success is dying happy.
    Nirvanalobster
  • @cook99 said:
    In our society, earning a lot of money is considered successful.

Ah. :s
    Societal norm success. I successfully saw through that fallacy. ;)

I feel Donald Trump is a perfect example of a useless, bullying, all front no hair, unsuccessful excuse for a worthwhile being. If I was ever like that, certainly possible with the wrong upbringing, self promotion and hair stylist, I would be superficial and a failure on every level that matters (IMHO).

Fail.

I am a failure as you can judge - as I have done . . .

To be modest, live moderately and be unimpressed by wealth or its lack is one of a Buddhists potential successes.

@cook99‌ time to examine other possible models for success? I wish you every success <3

Buddhadragon
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Nirvana said:
    DT? Excess is Excess, not Success!

Really!

Success for DT would be for him to do something with that hair!

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited December 2014

@cook99 said:
    In our society, earning a lot of money is considered successful.
    To me if you are a leader in your field or if you are very good at what you do, you are also successful.
    In that sense , I am not successful.

What is your sense? Are you successful in your sense?
    You have defined what our society considers successful.
    But I don't agree. Not everyone equates success with money.
    And Donald Trump...? Really?

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@cook99 sez:Do you consider your self a success?

>

Simply put, I don't believe I've ever really & truly thought (or lived) in those terms -- and I've certainly done my share of thinking.
    ;)

Buddhadragon