Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

techno assisted dharma

I am a great believer in techno dharma and restiching the wounded sutures/suttras for the defrocked.

This morning I set the timer on my iPad for my morning cushion squashing asana. After about an hour, I realised I had unmindfully forgotten to press start.

Technology 1 Crustacean 0

No matter maybe I can find some hardcore dharma
http://www.dharmaoverground.org/web/guest/dharma-wiki

What use is technology in your practice?

NirvanaKundo

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran

I like insight meditation timer app:

https://insighttimer.com/

You get stars for targets hit, like 10 days meditation in a row.

Stars are very important.

sovaSarahTBuddhadragonRowan1980
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2015

I use a mindfullness bell on my gadgets.....and of course, daily Buddha wisdoms on my tablet, delivered in my inbox. Buddha says "You've got mail". :D
    I use the technology to organize the study material. By subject, school, etc. .... My Buddha Bag used to be in a cross stitched cloth bag....now, its in 'folders'...hahaha.

I recently found an app for coming and staying on the breath. You can adjust the in breath and the out breath times. It's useful for me when I need a quick time out and need to separate myself from the 'thinking' of the breath..... Do all my Buddha wallpapers count?
    hahahaha

Rowan1980
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I'm a proud Luddite and think all mobile phones and suchlike should be placed in a bucket of water because they make us into techno-slaves. ;)

ToshlobstersilverSarahT
  • Do all my Buddha wallpapers count?

Yes. Can be helpful alignment.

One of my Linux bash scripts (note for non geek @federica: programming the computer) uses a folder of Buddha images as a slide show to extend some metta at the principle/idealisation of 'The Buddha'.

Here I use a tablet computer-shrine to help me learn the suttra mentioned mantra to Cundi

Such devotional/religious practices may alienate some . . . so don't do them, consider that a skilful tip.

Another technique is playing mantra instead of music when going walking. I used to do this with 'Namo Amittabha'

Youtube if you can avoid the babble has great talks, led meditations etc.

Tosh
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

I use a mala - tech advanced over trying to keep track in your head or on your fingers.

@Chaz said:
    I use a mala - tech advanced over trying to keep track in your head or on your fingers.

That's more like it! The old ways are the best! Nothing to go wrong, no batteries to run out, and most of all, cheap! ;)

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Oh, yes!
    Nothing beats the old, cheap, dear mala.
    I can do my rounds anywhere, anytime: on bus rides, dentist waiting-rooms, over green tea in a café...
    Otherwise, I use the normal timer on the cellphone to programme my meditation session.
    That's much it.

• Beads? Pah - You use technology. :p

Beads not required, here is the hand counting method

A while back I used a virtual mala to count prostrations. Just meant touching a phone screen. Very convenient.

Managed to work the timer on the iPad this morning :blush:

@DhammaDragon said:
    Otherwise, I use the normal timer on the cellphone to programme my meditation session.
    That's much it.

I like to use incense as a timer. Short Viva sticks burn for 25 to 30 minutes.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

What technology I use is nobody's derned beeswax!

I have electric lights in my shrine room. I wear eyeglasses to read liturgy.

You have electric light?! Sheer luxury!

Chazlobster

@Tosh said:
    I like insight meditation timer app:
    https://insighttimer.com/

Good idea, @Chaz, but I must make an update.

Intrigued by @Tosh's post about Insight timer, I added the app to my cellphone, and have given it a try this afternoon.
    I have to say it was an interesting experience.

Well, meditation was the usual practice as ever, but you can programme different bell sounds at different intervals and for the end, there is a large meditation community, some of them meditating at the time you are, a journal to log one's experience, milestones to attain...
    I'm not that into technology, but here, I have to say I'm impressed...

Tosh
    edited January 2015

Being a programmer, I've written a couple timers, that, while they worked well, i didn't like using them. I used a cheap egg timer for years but hated the alram. I got an Enso timer, which was much better, but still lacked aesthetic. All of them were merely distractions. A stick of incense works just fine.

Having given up all hope of attainment, keeping a journal is pointless.

Rodrigo

@Chaz: no way you can talk me out of Insight Timer.
    At least for now. I'm in love. First stage.
    Just give it a try.
    So much better than an egg timer!

@Chaz said:
    Having given up all hope of attainment, keeping a journal is pointless.

I use an old radio alarm clock thingy. I wouldn't mind using incense but it makes me sneeze.

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I'm also an Insight Timer fan. I also enjoy using my Kindle for reading dharma texts. (I simply don't have room in my apartment for hard copies these days.)
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Chaz: no way you can talk me out of Insight Timer.
    At least for now. I'm in love. First stage.
    Just give it a try.
    So much better than an egg timer!

Have a little nose about the community too.

Can you find me and friend me? I'm down as 'Tosh' in Chepstow, if that's any help. Then we can compete for stars, though to be fair, I've a head start on you.

Buddhadragon
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm able to listen to an mp3 player while working so for a good chunk of the day I'll listen to dharma talks.

I also just recently switched to using a meditation timer app from previously relying on a stop watch. I was surprised to notice how much of my mental energy was going towards thinking about checking the time to see if the session was up and have found a timer much less stressful.

I went with the zazen meditation app over insight meditation timer. The insight one looks really good with all the tracking and social aspect but to get the full functionality of the timer (namely setting up separate timed bells) you had to pay the small price while zazen is much more bare bones but has all the functionality.

And Netflix and http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ has several good Buddhist documentaries.

I saw on the recent 60 minutes piece on meditation that Anderson Cooper was hooked up to some kind of brain scanner and he was able to watch his mental states. I could see something like this used as a kind of high tech bio feedback where one would be better able to see their mental state.

• Another techno based aid I liked to use, may start again . . . Is meditating with cyber sangha in real time, with physical cyber presence in virtual space, temples, zendos, listening to talks etc. For some reason it seems to work really well. I can see this coming more to the fore with the rising of personal HUD devices of the future . . .
    http://secondlife.com

edited January 2015

• @Tosh said:

Just loaded the app again.

Wouldn't be here without starting off as stardust.
    I got a star! Yeah, may go for another. Just did a led metta bhavna practice. Excellent.

I am Lobster in London at the moment but may move back into cyberspace <3

ToshBuddhadragonRowan1980

@Tosh said:

I bet they are!
    If the star system work to improve a toddler's behaviour, what won't they do for us goal-defining grown-up animals?

I find they are a good incentive to push us to the cushion when we come up with silly excuses not to do our meditation.

Rowan1980Tosh
  • Working towards a second star with an excellent led vipassana meditation this morning, which started as a standing meditation on the inner skull, standing meditation not something I have done since Tai Chi training . . .

Another techno practice is watching this wooden top having some dharma sense being knocked into it using Youtube as the techno aid . . .

Rowan1980ToshBuddhadragon
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

I just downloaded insight meditation timer and its rather good just did a guided Tara Brach Vipassana meditation.

ToshBuddhadragon
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    If the star system work to improve a toddler's behaviour, what won't they do for us goal-defining grown-up animals?

I find they are a good incentive to push us to the cushion when we come up with silly excuses not to do our meditation.

I've some local A.A. friends on insight meditation timer. We have a humorous rivalry thing going with regards the stars. The current winning guy is a psychotherapist who sometimes cheats by doing just five minutes, which annoys me. I'm sure he does it just so it registers that he's meditated that day.

There's stuff to practise everywhere!!! :(

lobsterBuddhadragonRowan1980mmo
  • @Lonely_Traveller said:
    Tara Brach is very good, she can be found on YouTube.

This morning I just used the timer on the Insight Meditation app. The basic free app is excellent.

Another modern techno assist I use is a presentation program, I use the excellent free Impress in LibreOffice on my Puppy Linux (suitable for penguins and geeks only) powered laptop
    http://www.libreoffice.org/discover/impress/

on Ipad I use the free version of the commercial program MS PowerPoint.

These programs allow you to create a slideshow of meaningful dharma, your own sadhana or just inspirational calming . . .

Wot no one listening to MP3 talks? I know you iz . . . favs?

@Tosh said:
    The current winning guy is a psychotherapist who sometimes cheats by doing just five minutes, which annoys me.

Ah a Sith. B)

Master of the Quick dank slide of the farce Eh? We hoodies (Skywalkers, princesses and such) are far too goodly for such sabre rattling . . .

Yoda a muppet is . . . oops nearly got seduced by my Sith alter ego 'Princess Daath Lobster'
    http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/approaching_buddhism/teachers/tsenzhab_serkong_rinpoche/a_portrait_of_tsenzhab_serkong_rinpoche/part_2.html

BuddhadragonTosh

@Tosh said:
    I've some local A.A. friends on insight meditation timer. We have a humorous rivalry thing going with regards the stars.

Oh! You alpha macho boys... :p

But honestly, three days into the app, I highly recommend it.
    It's not so much the star thing, but rather like the app helps me be more consistent in my commitment to meditation somehow.

I still don't know how to deal with the people who want to be friends, though.
    I'm not in Facebook and the social part of the app looks like the closest thing to that.
    I reason that it's a nice way to meet new people, I guess...

Tosh
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2015

@DhammaDragon said:
    It's not so much the star thing

Yes it is; be honest now.![]

For meditating when you live with a bunch of noisy gimps:

(http://newbuddhist.com/uploads/editor/tu/8xoo0945fy3j.jpg "")

I'm guessing wax earplugs and ear defenders would be considered 'technical'.

Buddhadragon

Has anyone tried Headspace?

Looks like "lounge" mindfulness for the posh and one has to subscribe to have access to most of the content.

They have meditations or tips for different everyday and emergency situations.

I have the feeling that here one does not get app-addicted, rather mindfulness-addicted, more specifically addicted to the site, to the point where we relinquish self-reliance.

I was attracted by the funny layout but I'm not sure about the contents?

• ^^^

https://www.headspace.com/buy

I see nothing wrong with getting the free intro. Is it worth the money? Depends on your financial situation . . .

Meanwhile . . . . think I might record this Star Trek Mind Meld meditation I am working on . . .

My Mind To Your Mind. My Thoughts To Your Thoughts. We Are One.

Your thoughts to my thoughts. No mind to mind. We are a One.

My voice To Your Mind. Your mind my voice are One.

My Mind To Your Mind. My Thoughts To Your Thoughts. We Are One.

Gone, Gone, Boldly gone where no thought has gone before.

>

Engage

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Techno Dharma Buddha Nature Brain (Comes with rechargeable batteries) B)

Rowan1980
  • :)

Cranial stimulation is in its infancy in terms of consumer devices
    http://www.psfk.com/2015/01/ces-2015-thync-electrically-pulses-your-brain-to-change-mood.html

However the science is sound. As we start to record and replicate through feedback the mind states of advanced mediators and Mystics, the potential for an enlightened society comes closer . . . however the usual culprits will try and pervert, sell and abuse the healthy option . . .

Anyway, will be continuing to keep an open mind on this technology. B)

Free your minds, dharma brothers and sisters! Drop that phone into a bucket of water!

They may take away our time and mindfulness and money, but they will never take away our freedom! Scotland the brave! Luddites rise up!

lobsterToshfederica
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Chaz said:

Me too.

If mala beads or fingers are too low-tech for you, these exist:

http://www.amazon.com/Astrogems-us-DM-01-Digital-Mantra-Counter/dp/images/B0067N9Y2O

I'll stick to mala beads myself. I benefit from the tactile element myself.
    lobster

@Rowan1980 said:
    If mala beads or fingers are too low-tech for you, these exist:

http://www.amazon.com/Astrogems-us-DM-01-Digital-Mantra-Counter/dp/images/B0067N9Y2O

Oh my Buddha! :s
    What will they come up with next??

Coming back to Insight Timer, I have a tiny quibble with the social aspect of the app, @lobster.
    I keep receiving proposals to become friends.
    Should I say "yes" to everyone?
    That feels a bit overwhelming at the moment...

• ^^^

A woman who does not know how to say no? You don't fool me . . .

The choice is yours . . . ah you knew that . . . ;)

Buddhadragon

What I mean, @lobster, is I don't want to be impolite, but at the same time I don't need all those many friends...
    It's interesting to interact with like-minded people from all over the world, but at one point it can get to be too much.

I don't do the friend request thing myself on Insight Timer. I've enough social media things going on.

Regarding the digital mantra counter, I did realize that it would be super handy if you need to count mantras while making prostrations. It beats flying mala beads!
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited January 2015

While I enjoy listening to Depeche Mode, I don't really consider that kind of music conducive to Buddhist practice.

Oh, wait, THAT kind of techno. Silly me.

Techno dharma, the latest dance craze...

I can vaguely remember disco, but have things moved on since then?

@SpinyNorman said:
    I can vaguely remember disco, but have things moved on since then?

Kinda, but in strange ways. Some years back Dweezil Zappa enlisted a number of well-known heavy metal muscians and and produced a seriously rocked out cover of the BeeGees' "Stayin Alive" (from Saturday Night Fever) with Donny Osmund on vocals. Outrageous. Excellent.

It's REALLY hard to meditate to metal. Really Hard. It would be only a little easier than trying to meditate with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir poking red-hot needles in their eyes, all at the same time, and screaming REAL loud. To practice in a metal environment, you'd probably need a technology solution, like noise-canceling headsets with really loud white noise being pipe in.

@Rowan1980 said:

Regarding the digital mantra counter, I did realize that it would be super handy if you need to count mantras while making prostrations. It beats flying mala beads!

I tried a number different counting methods and devices for counting P's but ended up going back to a mala.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited January 2015

@DhammaDragon said:

What I mean, @lobster, is I don't want to be impolite, but at the same time I don't need all those many friends...

It's interesting to interact with like-minded people from all over the world, but at one point it can get to be too much.

Change your picture on your app. You're a pretty lady; that's what's attracting them.

Feel free to use my picture; hardly anyone friends me on there. :'(

lobsterBuddhadragonperson
    Just added two more friends today :neutral_face:
    Well, I prefer a photo of a person to those landscape or butterflies pictures, anyway, @Tosh.
    I still find the app fantastic. I'm so happy you mentioned it.
    Tosh
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

There's a group of people that have a podcast and website, run events and think about "How can we serve the convergence of Buddhism with rapidly evolving technology and an increasingly global culture?”, called Buddhist Geeks. I've only listened to a couple of their podcasts so I haven't really formed much of an opinion yet. But there's probably some good insight from them on the subject.

http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/

• Thanks guys,

I was a geek ^^^ before it was cool to be a penguin (Linux User) . . . maybe it never was . . .

My laptop runs two versions of Puppy Linux. No Windows.

If you think you are geek enough or wish to run a fast, secure, virus free operating system from CD/DVD . . . your hard disk or a USB key drive, SD etc:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BurningLinuxIsoBasics

Once you have Puppy running you might like to try modifying your own Buddhist practice program as I do on occasion.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BuddhistYAP
    (works on latest Puppy Linux incidentally)

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I run Linux Mint and Kubuntu myself, though I haven't tried Puppy yet. What sets it above other forms of Linux? Have you tried Bodhi Linux?

Does BuddhistYAP run on other distros? Is it a .deb, .rpm or something else?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Right now I have a great timer. I've been getting up a bit before my daughter so I just use her as a timer for now.

I wake up, have my tea and then sit. When she cries or starts singing, session is done.
    ToshVanilli