Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Resolution

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited December 2014 in Buddhism Basics

Part of the focus for many, is on being resolute rather than unresolved.
In dharma this takes on the significance of the eight fold path, commitments to practice and intention to . . . well what?

Being a Buddhist of dubious character and strange delusions of talking meditation cushions and numerous inner realms, maybe Mr Cushion would take me more seriously if I:

• Developed a wider kindness
  • Was more responsible
  • Was more resolute
  • Was less contentious
  • Made less assumptions
  • Tried being less of a smartass
RodrigosilverEarthninja

Comments

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran

To accept myself as I am and the world as it is...

SarahTTelly03Earthninja
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

The first issues that come to me is to work on my anger/sadness/etc. issues and to meditate on what triggers them.

rohitEarthninja
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

Karma at play again. Making such a thread invokes the thought in others to make a resolution... :)

Earthninja
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    Any new year resolutions?

Basically, realistic resolutions I can aim to fulfill.
    Be today better than yesterday but not as good as tomorrow :)

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

As a friend of mine used to advise about resolutions, especially around new year's: "Don't make 'em and don't break 'em.

ChazrohitRowan1980
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    edited December 2014

My new year resolution were broken every time but i have observed that every year i have same resolution but their is improvement each year...

It's not bad if you make new year resolution but it should be started soon in december itself.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I wouldn't ordinarily jump in to make a New Year's resolution, but found it felt quite natural and smart to make one with a Buddhist leaning.
    ;)

SarahT
  • I never make resolutions, it always takes me some months to even realise that the year has changed.

But this time, I just might go with some vague things like "get less narsissistic" and "get real, buddy". Every single lifestyle career guru would spit on me for not being precise enough and not having goals but who cares. At least I can alter those as I wish._ Sure I can eat cakes and stuff everyday, that just shows how un-narsissistic (whatever the word is) I am, not caring about gaining bad karma and weight. _*grin*

silver
    To be honest, I have not made one single resolution for the year to come.
    Suddenly I feel so free....!
    KundoSarahT
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    To not bother to make resolutions and focus on now instead. Also, to finish "The Dark Tower" series. :sunglasses:
  • RhodianRhodian Loser Veteran

My resolution is to well.... There is nothing I really would want to do because of the new year there are things I would want to do anyway but will be done in the new year..... Though I guess just for the heck of it I would like to swim with salmons, dolphins are overated. I just hope there's no bear waiting to eat me.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Also, it is politically-incorrect to eat dolphin, although salmon are still considered an exquisite delicacy by some.

Probably why bears like 'em.... I mean, how many bears have you seen hunting dolphins?

See? I rst my case..... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

RhodianRowan1980Kundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.
    --Mark Twain

silverDavid
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran
    edited December 2014

^^ Just what I have been looking for - thanks @lobster. Have gradually been compiling my own but this is a wonderful summary/memory jogger. So happy to see the word "wholesome" is used for the N8P rather than "right" :grinning:

... just realised, will have to write "and now the laundry" across the bottom!

lobsterBuddhadragonsilverKundo

I actually printed it and put it in my purse, @lobster. (*)

Kundo
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2014

Glad to hear there is some use for my rambling postings . . .

Here is another cheat sheet, for those resolving to be mindful in 2015 . . .

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/mindfulness-for-dummies-cheat-sheet-uk-edition.html

silverBuddhadragon
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

The old hit from Godspell sums it up for me: That is, following my Chosen Ideal, which is in my case a fusion of Buddha, Christ, and Sri Ramakrishna:
    Three things I pray:
    To see Thee more clearly,
    Love Thee more dearly,
    Follow Thee more nearly,
    Day by day.

SarahTRowan1980
  • AH! I had almost forgotten about this forum (and you lobster to be frank), but wishful thinking and a bubly hangover brought me back to the shore. I feel like opening up a bit online will allow my inner peace to flow.

2014 for me was all about humility. I had come to the realization that I was a selfish asshole, let's call it a late coming of age. So I worked hard to flip that around and take responsability for my own life.

Now that 365 days are ahead of me, I wish to focus on my health. I have planned to gain some weight, as suggested by a doctor. Also I have plans to set up a small shrine, so to speak, to place my modest Buddha sculpture I had for so many years. He never said a word, the guy is so relaxed!

I'd like to take the opportunity also to wish every one of you success in your endeavors, be it cooking, meditating or marrying your love!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

lobsterSarahTBuddhadragonShoshin
  • Thanks @lobster for the cheat sheet.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I have decided to NOT make any New Year's resolutions, chiefly because you lot will make me break them in a week.

Or less.

ToshSarahT

Another interesting cheatsheet: "The five-minute Buddhist"....

• Thank you @lobster. The holiday season has pulled me away from my practice, and I have already broken my resolution to meditate daily. What an undisciplined buddhist I am! I did play my guitar for several hours today, and that's almost as effective.

lobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

I HAVE NEVER understood the mentality that New Year's resolutions had to be all-or-nothing. Or that they had to be made by January First and be in effect by then. Symbolically, the month when the two-faced god takes on a different visage (a new persona, or mask) is a good time to start rethinking yourself: what things are most important.

What things are most important?
    Being kind? Not provoking others to anger by your self-righteous attitude when you think you're right? Actually considering that maybe you're lovable enough in your fallibilities and inclinations? Are you actually able to conceive the notion that everything you think important is just a particular obsession with things that don't really matter?

What things are most important to change? Lose some weight? Exercise more? Read more widely? Throw off that funk, clean up, energize, plan things on a budget, and throw off that depression? Concentrate on recuperation and let all other worries slide a bit? Sell all that you have and start anew? Renounce your fear of being possessed by another and allow yourself to commit to a lover? Quit the job you hate or find a simple way to let it fit you?

• @mfranzdorf said:
    Thank you lobster. The holiday season has pulled me away from my practice, and I have already broken my resolution to meditate daily. What an undisciplined buddhist I am! I did play my guitar for several hours today, and that's almost as effective.

Mindful Music v resolute dissolution . . .

I too am completely undisciplined. I make a determined effort not to squash defenceless cushions in the Buddhist Buttock press . . . however within five minutes, I am back to my daily meditation cushion partying . . .

ownerof1000oddsocksmfranzdorf
  • My wife read my fortune for me from an old book somewhere, and it said that this will not be a good year for me. So in order to prepare and perhaps evade any bad luck, I have decided that this year is the year for me to be as spiritual as I can be, and that means attending religious gatherings, donations, praying, chanting, and meditation. And I'm glad that meditation is always within reach. :D

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2015

For resolutions (not necessarily New Years) pick something that you CAN do and stick to it. That strengthens the power of your word of truth. This is an embodiment of 'Right Effort'

lobster