Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

indispensable

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited January 2015 in General Banter

Wrote this on my blog this morning:

In Buddhism, there is reference to "the imponderables" -- topics on which students are advised not to dwell because they bear no fruit and detract from Buddhist practice.

But at a less august level, I think everyone has a laundry list of things that are indispensable in life ... things which, whether frivolous or serious, may seem quite serious indeed.

Two that occur to me this morning are:

Aloe

and

Duct tape.

Any additions? :)

Comments

• Blood thinner and statins for the time being.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited January 2015

Vitamin C

fuzzy slippers

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2015

Patience

Loose change

Nirvana
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Air conditioning (nudging 40c here) and a swimming pool (see comment above)
    Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I presume it's cleaned now...? :D

Buddhadragon
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Gratitude :)

lobsterEarthninja
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@robot said:
    Blood thinner and statins for the time being.

No kidding! I've been on Coumadin for years. Cannot stand the shit, but it's still......

Indespensible.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Patience! Yes, Fede! That's the Trick! Although I'm not sure I could stick with a blood-thinner program. How rude life is!

If you work in health care, those wonderful Nexcare waterproof bandaids (British "plasters") that stay on for about four hours of several hand-washings. Indispensable, too!

• ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

@Nirvana said:
    I'm not sure I could stick with a blood-thinner program. How rude life is!

Most of us who who are such regimines have to be. The alternatives (stroke, heart attack, death) aren't so appealing.

It's lot easier than it used to be, though.

• Toilet paper and running water for me

ChazsilverDandelion
  • @AllbuddhaBound said:
    Toilet paper and running water for me

You cannot beat a bum gun like they use in Asia.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@genkaku: may I safely ask you what makes duct tape indispensable without your replying that you can tell me but then you'll have to kill me?
    I imagine all sort or gory scenarios already... :s

Anyway, without getting unnecessarily mushy and sentimental, it'll be green tea for me.
    And "fuzzy" slippers, as @silver so sweetly described.
    It's so cold up here!

• sndymornsndymorn Veteran
    edited January 2015

A slight slope away from the house for waste water...no slope from the neighbors house toward mine.

Gorilla Tape.. Not duct tape. Duct tape has been supplanted @genkaku‌ . Once you try Gorrilla you will not go back. It is much more expensive but is better in most ways. I am never without it.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Death and taxes.

Wait, that can't be right.

Shoes and knowing my daughter is safe
    silver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited January 2015

Having a good laugh at a funeral :D (Remembering the good fun times)

lobster
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Peanuts and Popcorn :p

• The blue pill from the matrix

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@sndymorn said:
    Gorilla Tape.. Not duct tape.

It would have to be electrical insulating tape for me. 101 uses for that. ;)

wheels (my van)

my mechanics <3

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    The blue pill from the matrix

There is no pill.

lobster

@silver said:
    my mechanics <3

Vital! I had a friend with a garage and we used to do barter, he'd work on my van and I'd do bits of electrical work for him. Good arrangement!

I had a hairdresser friend with whom I had a similar arrangement - and then, blow me if we don't both do the dumb thing, and move region....! What a stupid decision THAT was!! :D

@genkaku said:

>
    Any additions? :)
    >

@lobster said: 1-1= :)

>

That's terrible!

;)

lobster

@SpinyNorman said:
    Vital! I had a friend with a garage and we used to do barter, he'd work on my van and I'd do bits of electrical work for him. Good arrangement!

>

If only ... my arrangement is they present the bill and I whip out my cash or credit card!
    :p

How damned unreasonable of them!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

silver

Totally unreasonable! ;) My point - Why is it usually the men who make these barter type arrangements ... I don't have any special skills - at least not ones I'm willing to exchange. If one has a b/f who's a mechanic, a girl can get pretty spoiled.

I have mechanics now that I would trust with my life, practically, but that was far from the case a year or two ago.

Sorry if that was TMI, but I have to say.......it is getting interesting around here! :blush:

@silver said:

• at least not ones I'm willing to exchange.

Ah, there are stories I could tell about my time in the building trade, but they are not for polite company. ;)

silver

define 'polite' company!! :D

silver

Where one wouldn't dream of telling scurrilous tales about vulgar tradesmen.... ;)

Ah, the joys of PMs! :laugh:

silver

@SpinyNorman said:
    Ah, there are stories I could tell about my time in the building trade, but they are not for polite company. ;)

>

Notice: For cheap thrills...just use your imagination.