Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

techno assisted dharma

2»

Comments

• For those who don't know Linux is a free operating system with many different flavours or distros.

@nakazcid said:
    What sets it above other forms of Linux?

Kubunto and Mint are very good. We Puppy's consider them bloatware. ;)

Everything about Puppy is better. Smaller, more efficient. It runs totally from ram, therefore faster.

Have you tried Bodhi Linux?

Yes, Just another Linux. From what I rememember it uses the 'Enlightenment' environment.

Does BuddhistYAP run on other distros?

It could be made to run on other distros with the right modifications.

As Puppy can run quite effectively from DVD alongside other distros or MS Windows without modifying the host system in any way, it is easy to try for yourself and/or use as a backup. Puppy can for example run quite happily on a computer with no hard disk.

Is it a .deb, .rpm or something else?

Something else. It is a bash script which makes use of programs in Puppy. I may have packaged it at some point but no longer have a server, so the links won't work.
    Puppy uses .pet and SFS. Tharpup can use .deb

The best place for advice and support is here
    http://murga-linux.com/puppy/

B)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Nice, low-tech solution, I like it!

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Well @Tosh I made it to the ten day mark and got my first star.

Rowan1980ToshBuddhadragon
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

How many stars do you need to have before you can start gathering students?

Rowan1980Toshperson
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@Lonely_Traveller said:
    Well Tosh I made it to the ten day mark and got my first star.

Well done. I'm really after a purple star myself.

As I said earlier, stars become verrrrrrrrrry important, but not all attachments are bad eh? :D

Rowan1980
  • I was reading today that we get addicted to apps and games in which we level up as we enjoy the feeling of mastery :)! It's one of the three core motivators including autonamy and purpose :). Meditating for stars can get addictive
    Tosh
  • Lollll @nakazcid‌ I totally thought it was techno music too when I saw the title !! Haha
    nakazcid
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:

Puppy can run quite effectively...

Aw, puppies are cute! ;)

Rowan1980silver
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@Vanilli said:
    I was reading today that we get addicted to apps and games in which we level up as we enjoy the feeling of mastery ! It's one of the three core motivators including autonamy and purpose . Meditating for stars can get addictive.

I have a pretty intense video gaming habit, and I really enjoy the challenge, and as you put it, the feeling of mastery. I hate it when I have to start over with a low level character. However, I also notice that most of these games leave me feeling tense and uptight. I've been trying to play more cerebral, less violent and slower paced games to try and chill out.

Re: meditating for stars. I started another thread about meditating, and was told to forget goals and expectations when meditating. The advice seemed sound, and so far I'm enjoying meditation more and experiencing a lot less stress about a lack of progress.

ToshVanillisilver
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@nakazcid said:
    Re: meditating for stars. I started another thread about meditating, and was told to forget goals and expectations when meditating. The advice seemed sound, and so far I'm enjoying meditation more and experiencing a lot less stress about a lack of progress.

That's good advice for people who're more spiritually developed than myself. At my level, I meditate - not for enlightenment or to be able to dedicate the merit to the happiness of all sentient beings - but for ruddy stars.

Hopefully, as I progress, the stars will seem less important. :D

lobsterBuddhadragonsilverperson
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

• @Tosh said:
    Hopefully, as I progress, the stars will seem less important. :D

Whatever it takes. <3

Got my second star after meditating for ten days in a row. Started off with half an hour, did two lead meditations and then set the timer for an hour and did that each day. I have for now uninstalled the app.

Why?

Formal meditation is part of my routine. If it is too short or too long, I adjust some aspect of it. On the last day I started to meditate without setting the timer . . . oops . . . it was an interesting and useful ten days. Like a discipline or retreat from my normal routine.

People start and continue meditating or doing any practice for the alleviation of Dukkha, to get stars, impress their cushion, whatever . . . Even Goatama was gaining credits with his companions as a serious spiritual dude until he went rhinosaurus

http://www.hermitary.com/solitude/rhinoceros.html

I recently went again to see some of the early depictions of the Buddha, when people only had his Gandharan footsteps to follow . . .

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gandhara
    Buddhists, jewish kings and now drones . . .

It is important to use the foibles, weaknesses, strengths and diversity of means to practice. Self discipline does not arrive without implementing the will initially.

Talking of stars on the third day of meditating, it was the rising of the morning star (Venus) that coincided with the Buddhas enlightenment.

Progress is more about maturing, integrity and honesty. Five minutes honest meditation, by that I mean a realistic start rather than stoic insistence that one must set a goal beyond ones capacity.

Bit by bit, star by star, skilful means, techno or traditional, companions, statues, study . . . whatever it takes . . . B)

• @nakazcid‌ :) I was thinking that about video games. I'm a criminology graduate and we looked at studies where they had hypothesised that violence and video games have no correlation. While I think most people have a value system which means they won't become violent, I have always wondered what the effects of those games are on people's minds. Like my boyfriend plays them and he gets more impatient and aggressive during and after them... I do think they have a bad effect on the mind like you say - I think aggression and hostility get amped up - violence is on the end of that continuum even if such games don't bring about that direct result. But then criminology doesn't really measure those subtleties...

On the rewards and meditation ^_^ - I agree we shouldn't become attached to having good or bad results (because it does swing from smooth to rough when we begin) but I think we can attach to a consistent practice itself and feel good about doing it :)
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:
    I have for now uninstalled the app.

I will miss your little lobster face anouncing me that you're already meditating at six in the morning :'(

ToshsilverlobsterRowan1980

Also, @Tosh: why are there yellow, pink or green stars in Insight Timer?

• ToshTosh Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:
    Also, Tosh: why are there yellow, pink or green stars in Insight Timer?

I think they're like currency. Get enough yellow stars and they change to one green star (I have two - woo hoo). Then get enough green stars and they turn into a 'pink' one (I thought they were purple).

Buddhadragon
  • @DhammaDragon said:
    I will miss your little lobster face anouncing me that you're already meditating at six in the morning :'(

[Lobster puts on best Austrian cyborg accent] I'll be back!

Back for my green star that is . . . not for a while ;)

Buddhadragon
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    @Tosh‌ I think it's a five-to-one thing. Five yellow stars turns to one green star, five green stars turns to one pink/purple star, etc.

I'm also a sucker for stars. It makes my inner 8 year-old happy.
    ToshBuddhadragon

Just to be clear again on this one: despite what @Tosh might think, I am not a sucker for stars ;)

Tosh