Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Carbonated Water

This is just a quick question for those who are in the know.

I am not too keen on drinking bottled water anymore because here the temperatures are always so high and the bottles have to make the journey to the stores, which often is on open-air trucks, so they are exposed to the heat. I have read about how plastic bottles when exposed to certain temperatures react with the water and can create carcinogens?

So I tried to look for glass bottled water and couldn't find any anywhere, and forget drinking Thai tap water on a regular basis. I have been drinking on soda water AKA carbonated water for the past 3 days, I feel fine but I am wondering if this is a healthy long term option or not?

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Hi @ThailandTom‌ --- Some might worry about it being bad for your teeth, but there is no problem if a beverage such as Perrier has no sugar - it's not the bubbles that makes it bad for the teeth.

• Ah teeth, how ironic haha. Mine have been smashed in as you might already know. Apart from that there is nothing to do with stomach issues or whatever. I don't know anybody who only drinks carbonated water so it is hard to get advice on this.

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I drink carbonated water instead of soda. (I haven't had soda in over a year.) No sugar, no sweeteners, no sodium. **shrugs** My medical provider doesn't take an issue with it since I'm getting fluids and there's nothing added to it aside from the carbonation. Anything in moderation and such.
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited January 2015

Oh, forgot that was you, @ThailandTom..... :#

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I do not like carbonated water, so I don't drink it, but nothing about it should cause you any health risks. With the plastic it's not so much that it interacts with the water, but that the sort of plastic that disposable water bottles are made of contain carcinogens and when the plastic is heated, some of them supposedly are released into the water. Well, technically pretty much all plastic contains carcinogens as it's made from petroleum most of the time. So really, you'd be doing yourself a favor to stop eating or drinking anything from plastic that is heated, including plastic plates and bowls.

Rowan1980Earthninja
  • ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2015

Thanks for the response guys, I guess I will keep going with the carbonated water then.

I never really was a soda fan (as in the sugar kind, coke etc) so giving it up for my psoriasis diet has been easy along with candy, not a big fan.

@karasti‌ is there any actual evidence supporting the theory about bottled water that you have come across? Yeah I know about how plastics are made, I will rethink what to buy when I next buy some bowls ;)

• SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

In Victorian times, Brits used to spend a lot of money visiting spas where they could drink naturally sparkling water. It was reputed to be excellent for their health. Debate on this can be found at http://recipes.hypotheses.org/1611

Do you know whether the stuff you are drinking is naturally carbonated or has the "sparkle" been added?

• I have no idea but I can make an educated guess and say because it is Thailand it has been added. Here is the brand linked below if it helps, thanks for the fun fact and link, I shall check it out
    http://www.boonrawd.co.th/singha-corporation/en/singha-beverage-soda.php

edited January 2015

Oooh - Kaspersky tells me ^^ is a phishing link????? For some reason it is trying to take me to "oakleafcontracts" even when I find the link via google. Technology baffles me ... :confused:

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Kaspersy is protecting your computer.
    Dodgy link. It tells me "This page cannot be found"....

• Hiya, yeah I've heard that plastic water bottles have bpa in which is linked to cancer, diabetes, cancer, issues with the fetus. I use a bpa free bobble water bottle :). It also removes chlorine and organic contaminants from tap water.

ThailandTom
  • I personally love fizz water as it's different and a nice alternative from flavored drinks. Only issue is when you drink a lot, fast, you burp like Stimpy.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I do not like carbonated water.

At home, we put our tap water in glass bottles or decanters which have a system of crystals that mineralize the water.
    It is called Vitajuwel.

I don't know if you can buy them in Thailand, but they are fantastic.

http://www.vitajuwel.com/en/startseite-en

• @DhammaDragon said:

I do not like carbonated water.

At home, we put our tap water in glass bottles or decanters which have a system of crystals that mineralize the water.
    It is called Vitajuwel.

I don't know if you can buy them in Thailand, but they are fantastic.

http://www.vitajuwel.com/en/startseite-en

I am sure you can buy them online, however I am not sure that they will be able to remove all kinds of toxins found in Thai tap water, I am talking about maybe heavy metals and god knows what else.

Sorry about the link guys, here is a different one and hope it is not dodgy!
    http://www.telford.com.hk/en/products_detail.php?f=2&s=18&t=3&pid=44

Hmmm ... guess I am a bit spoilt by EU regulations and knowing what the ingredients are in any given product plus where it comes from. Not a lot of info on this link but like the label! Thanks for one that works @ThailandTom :D

• @SarahT said:
    Hmmm ... guess I am a bit spoilt by EU regulations and knowing what the ingredients are in any given product plus where it comes from. Not a lot of info on this link but like the label! Thanks for one that works ThailandTom :D

Yes your water supply is going to be better quality and more trust worthy than what I get here, but I wouldn't put so much faith into a government or organization like that, so many things go on behind the scenes in the world of business.

I am still drinking soda water only, getting through around 2.5 litres a day and I must admit my digestive system seems to be functioning better than it was before. Apart from that everything feels the same, I am hydrated and feel fine. I just worry about long term use of it, but it has been said that the only real harmful aspect of it would be to your teeth.

This link may hold some interesting facts about the company... maybe ;)
    http://www.slideshare.net/purithem/singha

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@ThailandTom‌ There is a study here with information
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140922110139.htm

I think that normal use, if you buy it and drink it fairly quickly is mostly unlikely to harm you. The study was done with water left in 158F temps for 4 weeks. Unless you leave your water in the car for long periods on hot days, or store it in the sauna, it probably is mostly ok. Just be wary of buying in bulk and storing for long periods in warm places, or drinking water that has sat in your hot car for a period.

• ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran

LiveStrong have an article on carbonated water at livestrong.com which says it is OK within reason. I would say that the risk from bottled water should be minimal but if you wish to avoid it then drinking boiled water such as in tea or carbonated water should be OK. I managed to survive in Nepal for months just drinking weak tea as the bottled water can't always be trusted there, some of the kids have go very good at re-sealing used bottles with a hot knife!

As for gemstone water, that really is hogwash on a par with homeopathy, water has no energy other than that conferred by its movement, height in a gravitational field or mass. Anything else is just plain new-age handwavium.

ThailandTom
  • Well you can always "de carbonate" your water if the carbonation is what you are worried about consuming on a daily basis, I did this for awhile when I was out of country.

• I had been drinking it for about as week straight and then decided to stop and went back to bottled water to see if there was any difference in, well anything. I noticed that the bottled water passed through me a lot quicker, ie I needed to urinate faster and more often, also the urine was more clear as apposed to being more yellow. Sorry for details but that is what I found.

@ThailandTom said:
    I had been drinking it for about as week straight and then decided to stop and went back to bottled water to see if there was any difference in, well anything. I noticed that the bottled water passed through me a lot quicker, ie I needed to urinate faster and more often, also the urine was more clear as apposed to being more yellow. Sorry for details but that is what I found.

>

No, thanks for sharing...I'm a diabetic and am always concerned with what I eat and drink. I was wondering if the mineral water had any extra things in it: Just yesterday, I decided to try it for a little while myself. I read the labels and some have all kinds of additives in it for flavoring and sweetness, which I avoided. I've only had one so far.

The difference in the color of urine could be caused by other things, which you probably already know. I think it's smart to notice what your body is telling you.

ThailandTom
  • @silver said:
    The difference in the color of urine could be caused by other things, which you probably already know. I think it's smart to notice what your body is telling you.

it is very important to listen to your body, I have learnt this from having psoriasis and I watch out to see how my skin reacts to certain things. The body reveals pain, markings etc for a reason, because something is not quite right.

My dad is a diabetic, type 2 or which ever one is genetic because he is a super healthy guy and has always gone to the gym 4-5 times a week since I can remember. I have a good chance of getting it because of genetics, if so deal with it when it comes.

I cannot read the label on my carbonated water because it is in Thai, I speak Thai very well but I can barely read, plus it doesn't actually list ingredients I am pretty sure. I will have to ask my girlfriend.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Carbonated water is just carbon dioxide added to water, and you have plenty of that in your body at any given moment. I doubt very much if there will be anything more than that added... It does make the water you are drinking very mildly acidic as in the dissolved state a proportion of it combines with the water to make carbonic acid in an equilibrium reaction, and gives it a 'taste'. But don't worry the body is brilliant at getting rid of carbon dioxide - you just breathe it out! Ta Da...

I have a soda stream and use it to make carbonated water, and pretty much drink it all the time - I don't really like plain water from the tap as I live in an area of very hard water. So I generally filter it and make it lightly sparkling, and serve it over ice, it's so more refreshing in my view!

silverThailandTomRowan1980
  • Just to mention something that I have recently realized, I have dropped 2 notches down on my belt, I am not over weight and quite thin in complexion, but either the soda water has helped me to lose some beer belly fat or it is due to some medical condition.

Since this discussion started and decided to bring some home to try, I discovered my favorite has a berry 'essence' to it - no calories, just flavor - which is more like a 'breath' of flavor. It's quite good, actually. I rarely buy sodas at all, but I had a coupon and bough a Dr. Pepper, and when I got home, I thought it would cut the calories to mix in a little of the berry soda water - it turned out to be a great idea.

Rowan1980
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I don't think this is available in Thailand, but it might help those in the US looking for carbonated water. I usually get these at Whole Foods, and I find them delicious.

http://www.lacroixwater.com/

@nakazcid said:
    I don't think this is available in Thailand, but it might help those in the US looking for carbonated water. I usually get these at Whole Foods, and I find them delicious.

http://www.lacroixwater.com/

>

Looks good, @nakazcid.

Crystal Geyser puts out the berry flavor I tried -- I like it a lot.