Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what do you think about this?

upekkaupekka Veteran
edited January 2015 in Philosophy

following is a writing from a person i know of:

'you asked how i could say 'something' just looking at a picture because i said 'that priest was an anagamin'

actually i should say ' by the time the picture was taken He was an anagamin' and there was a possibility He might reach to Highest stage at a later stage which we couldn't know

how i could say things like that?

that is because i have been giving deep thinking into six elements and it helps to predict things by looking at colours and shapes, sounds, own body movements

i have not pay attention to smell and tactile so far because i still have to go through colours, shapes, sounds and body movements

my capacity to predicts things by looking at colours, shapes, and by paying attention to body movements and sound is still not 100% and i have to continue this deep thinking (say insight)

this way of deep thinking take me to analyse the universe (sun, moon, stars, heaven and earth, 31 plains with regard to kamma and kamma-vipaka)

it is a slow process because, i always come back to conventional meditation to strengthen the capacity of deep thinking, and i do not want to go on astray from the main target of Nibbana

this deep thinking happened in one of the Retreat that i had participated but i didn't continue it

now and again i come to it, that is why it take a slow process

actually meditation is an enjoyable thing once one get hold this
these enjoyable things are beyond conventional enjoyable things like singing, dancing etc.

i do not want to talk about these things with people, but you can understand and you can relate to them that is why i talk now'

what do you think about this?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I frankly don't really understand what the heck he is talking about and it doesn't pique my interest at all, because it sounds as if he (the author) is taking something extremely simple and transforming it into something unnecessarily complicated.

lobster
  • Agree with @federica‌, I would take it further and say he does not know what he is saying.

Buddhadragon
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2015
    They don't want to lose the target of Nibanna but they spend so much time and energy trying to see the future.

Nibanna will never be found in the future and it is delusion to think we can accurately predict how someone's life will unfold by looking at a picture of them. In my opinion, of course.

I sometimes get into these kinds of tangents as well but I wouldn't recommend it while you're trying to meditate. It's counter-productive. Or seems that way to me at least. I'm no master meditator.
    anataman
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

The six elements are basically a framework with which to analyse experience, a model if you like. Alternatively you can use the aggregates or the sense bases. The important thing is to investigate experience, not get too hung up on the models themselves.

• To me this sounds like my manic episodes to be honest? How old are you? In 20s?

Buddhadragon

The OP begins: _"following is a writing from a person I know of": _

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@upekka said:
    my capacity to predicts things by looking at colours, shapes, and by paying attention to body movements and sound is still not 100% and i have to continue this deep thinking (say insight)

this way of deep thinking take me to analyse the universe (sun, moon, stars, heaven and earth, 31 plains with regard to kamma and kamma-vipaka)

The Chinese Yi King is a compilation of 64 combinations of trigrams that represent the different elements, and these combinations in turn are supposed to represent different moments of reality.
    Allegedly, the book took shape after centuries of peasants and astronomers observing recurrent patterns in nature.

In its oracular form, people use it to predict events.

Does it work? Well, if you believe in it, it probably does.
    Same thing applies to this six-element theory.

Will being able to predict the future help me make more skillful choices?
    I doubt it.
    Would I be getting hang up on the tree and losing sight of the wood?
    Definitely.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2015

thanks for responses

as a follower of Buddha's Teaching i too do not give much value to predictions because whatever we do now change any prediction of the future

however i have firm confidence in giving deep thinking into six elements, five aggregates and six senses are necessary to get insight

edited January 2015

Deep thinking isn't enough though, these models needs to be applied directly to experience.

So for example I use simple labelling like "seeing", "hearing", feeling", "thinking" as a structure for mindful attention ( combining aggregates and sense bases ).
    As another example I sometimes sit and watch waves, which you could say is a form of kasina practice based on an element ( water or fluidity ).

The theory is useful, but practical application is the key.

upekka
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2015

I think he/she is not taking the direct path to Nibbana and is in danger of getting lost on the way.

This is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Unbinding — in other words, the four frames of reference. Which four?

"There is the case where a monk remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings... mind... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world.

"Furthermore, the monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the five clinging-aggregates. And how does he remain focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the five clinging-aggregates? There is the case where a monk [discerns]: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such is feeling... Such is perception... Such are fabrications... Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'

"Furthermore, the monk remains focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the sixfold internal & external sense media. And how does he remain focused on mental qualities in & of themselves with reference to the sixfold internal & external sense media? There is the case where he discerns the eye, he discerns forms, he discerns the fetter that arises dependent on both. He discerns how there is the arising of an unarisen fetter. And he discerns how there is the abandoning of a fetter once it has arisen. And he discerns how there is no future arising of a fetter that has been abandoned. (The same formula is repeated for the remaining sense media: ear, nose, tongue, body, & intellect.)

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.010.than.html

bookwormupekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited January 2015

@SpinyNorman said:

The theory is useful, but practical application is the key.

agree with you whole heartedly

@pegembara said:
    I think he/she is not taking the direct path to Nibbana

true

and is in danger of getting lost on the way.

or is he developing Abinja? divine eye, divine ear etc.

edited January 2015

@upekka said:

or is he developing Abinja? divine eye, divine ear etc.

I wouldn't read too much into it. "Predict" could mean all sorts of things, including being more intuitive. Also if you're being really mindful you can anticipate much better what is likely to happen next, observe the process of dependent arising.

lobsterupekka
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited January 2015

@upekka said:

"....this way of deep thinking take me to analyse the universe (sun, moon, stars, heaven and earth, 31 plains with regard to kamma and kamma-vipaka)"

"i do not want to go on astray from the main target of Nibbana"

"There are these four unconjecturables that are not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about them. Which four?

"The [precise working out of the] results of kamma...

"Conjecture about [the origin, etc., of] the world is an unconjecturable that is not to be conjectured about, that would bring madness & vexation to anyone who conjectured about it.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.077.than.html

upekka