Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dalai Lama coming to Boulder!

ChazChaz The Remarkable ChazAnywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

Comments

• yagryagr Veteran

Thank you for this information. I followed the link, spoke to the wife and we are going. It would be very nice to meet some other newbuddhist folks there.

Chazsova
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    I saw the Dalai Lama last year in Hamburg and he's coming to Basel next month.
    Already have my tickets ;)
    ChazRowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I was lucky enough to go and see him a few years ago, in London, at the Royal Albert Hall. Needless to say the place was packed.... he looked so small on that stage, yet he filled the place.

Rowan1980sova
  • ChazChaz The Remarkable Chaz Anywhere, Everywhere & Nowhere Veteran

It'll be nuts. Boulder has a bigger Buddhist population than just about anywhere in the country, and denver isnt far behind, including a large Tibetan exile community. Add to that, Nepalis, Bhutanese, and the curious. Tickets will sell out fast.

May all beings benefit!

Rowan1980sova

@federica said:
    I was lucky enough to go and see him a few years ago, in London, at the Royal Albert Hall. Needless to say the place was packed.... he looked so small on that stage, yet he filled the place.

Same thing in Hamburg.
    The place was packed and he looked so tiny on the stage...

Rowan1980
    edited January 2015

They're talking about the Coors Event Center as venue. That roughy 11000 seats. It'll sell out. The DL was at the Pepsi Center in Denver a few years ago. 18000. Sold out there in hours.

There are a lot of Buddhists around here.

The guy is a rock star.

Itll be awesome.

Rowan1980
  • rock on dude hehe

ChazRowan1980Buddhadragonsova
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    I had the good fortune to see him in October 2014 at the Wang Center in Boston. (I think my folks were happier to get me that ticket for my birthday instead of to a rock concert!) He had given a day-long teaching on "The Eight Verses on Thought Transformation." Really inspiring! :)
    Buddhadragonlobster
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2015

My wife met HHDL in London last year at a corporately arranged event.. I am sure he was bemused, especially when I learned what questions were asked at the event - duh...

Whilst I would have liked to have gone personally, (and my wife wanted me to but couldnt get the ticket) my Karma was insufficient (or conversely ultra-sufficient) to allow (or not) lowly me to meet the great and good, and HHDL - and that's a real problem isn't it - NO?

The meek and eagre are brushed out of sight. Those who are able and want to represent themselves in the light of a beneficant being invite the most needy, but don't realise their own needs.

If you never meet a guru, or HHDL, don't fret - you are nearer to him/her than you think!

Enough religiosity - it's time for severe obversity! Yes It's my word - coin it for free!

@Chaz said:
    There are a lot of Buddhists around here.

It's not just that.
    Many people are just curious. He's a celebrity and somehow people think you have to see him at least once in a lifetime.
    Several friends are attending the two-day conference in Basel and are not Buddhist, but eager to see him and open to see what they can learn from him.

Chaz
  • Tip:

Find out where HHDL is giving teachings, initiation, if he is. Your local centre Tibetan Boulder Buddhists should know. These smaller gatherings might be more inspiring . . .

OM MANI PEME HUM

as we Dalai groupies say . . .

@DhammaDragon said:
    It's not just that.
    Many people are just curious. He's a celebrity and somehow people think you have to see him at least once in a lifetime.

Very true. For many people in the US, the DL is is right up there with shaking the President's hand, watching Old Faithful erupt, and taking their kids to Disneyland.

HH represents something to people that reaches far beyond Buddhism. It transcends his celebrity. Perhaps its a measure of sanity in an insane world, or livihg a life at peace. Different strokes.

Buddhadragon
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

How much will tickets run?

I've never had a desire to see him. I have nothing to say negative about him and i enjoy
    Watching his talks.....maybe its the crowds that turn me off....I would rather watch a
    Soccer match on tv where you can see everything....

For those here that are going....report back all the details to us ... :)

@Vastmind said:
    How much will tickets run?

I've never had a desire to see him. I have nothing to say negative about him and i enjoy
    Watching his talks.....maybe its the crowds that turn me off....I would rather watch a
    Soccer match on tv where you can see everything....

For those here that are going....report back all the details to us ... :)

impossible to say right now. I suppose the prices will in crease as you get closer to the stage. I'm guessing, but I'd say it'll be 40-50 bucks for nosebleed seats, but those wouldn't be awful in an 11000-seat arena. Bring binoculars!

I think they should webcast his talks. A lot of teachers are doing that these days. My sangha has been webcasting our twice-monthly talks by Lama Tenpa and it's working great for out-of-town students. It's nothing like being there, but it is an adequate substitute.

• To put the cost in perspective I looked what a super bowl (american pro football championship) ticket costs on stub hub. They start at 4500 USD !!

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Those American footballers are a bunch of wimps with all their sissy protective gear, not like rugby players who are real men and sometimes have beards.

Rowan1980
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And have you ever watched a game of Aussie Rules Football?! UNless you have a broken limb at least once in a game - it wasn't a 'good game'!

Rowan1980

American football would be an awesome topic, what, with the Deflategate and Superbowl coming up, but could we PLEASE keeep this on topic?

I see a new thread has been begun but unless a thread is discursive or debating, (which this one really isn't) it's bound to wander a bit.
    Most threads do, at some point. This one is no different or any more special than others. In fact, I suspect much of what may follow will just be more of the same. Anecdotal stuff and praise /interest for HH the DL.

If it becomes overly repetitive and aimless, feel free to request closure.
    As it's your thread, that is.

• 10 minute HHDL fix, be happy . . .

Buddhadragonsilveranataman
    edited January 2015