Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Removing broken off lightbulbs?

A broken off lightbulb is when the bulb is sheared off in the socket and the part in the socket is stuck in the socket. I mopped under everything in the kitchen and hit my head on the overhead lamp busting the bulb off in the socket :( (Two steps forward and one back: the floor looks and smells great :) )

So is this a good way? Turn off all the circuit breakers and then use needle nosed plyers and try to get the end bit out?

Any advice?

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited January 2015

A long time ago, I heard that you can take a raw potato and cut it in half and use it to remove a broken light bulb. There's always google. Watch your fingers, don't cut 'em.

person
  • Good caution. I should probably wear safety goggles.

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

As long as you have broken the circuit - and are certain of this - I am assuming the RCD panel has been flipped down for that circuit, and was installed by a certified electrician and they have accurately identified on the circuit breaker panel which elements of your electricity supply goes where then I can probably say yes use some tweezers or pliers (with rubber handles) to removes the bulb end.

Disclaimer: Anataman never gives advice which might possibly result in electrocution - no matter how sensible his advice seems.

Actually I believe I would do what you intend to do provided I have checked what I have proposed above - but I would wear rubber gloves, and be on a plastic step-ladder, with someone medically trained to use a defibrillator next to me

Hopefully you have a new lightbulb to hand once you've removed the base!

• Yes like someone I don't like and then flip the circuit breaker!

• @anataman with the circuits I was just thinking to switch ALL of the circuit breakers to off?

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2015
    I've done the potato thing before... Easy peasy.
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I don't think it's even necessary to worry about the electricity if you're not going to use a metal tool. I throw caution to the wind!

• @Jeffrey said:
    anataman with the circuits I was just thinking to switch ALL of the circuit breakers to off?

You only need to switch off the circuit that controls the area you're working in. If you know which circuit breaker that is.

• @Dakini I cannot be sure which breaker is the right one.

• Just turn off the light switch. Grab the guts of it with some pliers.

• I don't remember which is on and which off @robot

Hey there Jeffrey, it's been 2 hours and you still don't have the light bulb thingy fixed?

Are you gonna use a potato? Are you setting us up for a joke? :p

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@jeffrey -- I vote for what you said: Turn off the electricity and use needle-nose pliers, which will provide leverage.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

Wouldn't a potato transmit some electricity due to the water content? I don't know... but I DO know that I've been electrocuted by a light before... it wasn't that bad.

edited January 2015

This has become quite the deli-cat operation....I would use the potato and not metal tool - depending on how tightly it's screwed in, the needle-nose pliers could bend the metal band of the light bulb and bring more of a chance of shocking, I should say. When it happened to me, I used my bare hands and the juice was still going, nothing happened, fwiw.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Zombiegirl -- same thing I was thinking.

Although a very different situation, when I was a kid my uncle and the family were going on a vacation from central New York State up to New Hampshire. While on the state expressway he realized that he had lost his gas cap. My father -- who was in food services -- suggested putting a potato over the opening to the gas tank until we could get to a junk yard to buy a second hand gas cap. My uncle decided that was a good idea. He got the potato on the gas tank hole and then decided to give it just one more little shove to make sure it was in there good. Plunk, down it went into the actual gas tank. So, once we got to our destination my uncle went to a garage. After they finished laughing their heads off, they said there was no reasonable way to get the potato out. Over about 5 days the potato disintegrated, got into the carbureator, and several parts had to be completely replaced.

Jeffreyzombiegirlnakazcid
  • update: I am waiting to buy safety goggles and a new bulb to put in the light.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Jeffrey said:
    Dakini I cannot be sure which breaker is the right one.

With my ex-electrician hat on, please always turn off the main breaker switch in situations like this, turn everything off. Sometimes houses are wired incorrectly, the fitting you're playing around with might not be on the circuit you think. And if in doubt always get in a qualified electrician.

zombiegirlnakazcid

@zombiegirl said:
    Wouldn't a potato transmit some electricity due to the water content? I don't know... but I DO know that I've been electrocuted by a light before... it wasn't that bad.

I've never tried a potato but it would depend on the water content - water is a very good conductor. I remember years ago on a house renovation, we cement rendered a basement wall, and the electricity supply was fixed to the wall. Somehow some render got into the electricity supply and the whole wall became live for several hours because of the high water content in the cement. We had to block off the basement completely overnight because of the risk of electrocution. Strange but true!

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2015

Wot no jeffery! Have you survived this hurdle - or shall we always have to remember you as 'jeffery the man who conducted his way out of this world' ...\lol/...

• @jeffrey I'm afraid it's hopeless. You'll have to move. You can't even leave the broken bulb in the socket because it will leak electricity onto whomever is standing under it. Broken overhead light bulbs are the leading cause of frizzy hair, and nobody wants that.

VastmindToshSarahTanataman
  • ToshTosh Veteran

Turn everything off at the circuit box. Test an appliance or two in your kitchen to make sure it's all off.

Use a pair of pointy pliers to remove the light bulb.

edited January 2015

Electricians have been known to use a swipe test, but don't try this at home, kids! Yes, you just swipe the bare terminal, if it's live you get a nasty jolt, but because it's a swipe you don't stay connected ( that's what usually kills people ). Not recommended if you have heart trouble though, it could drop you into VF or stop your heart completely!
    And strictly verboten for non-electricians of course.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The potato trick works very well if the screw part of the bulb isn't all rusted in there or something.

And if there is no current, lol.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

There's an awful lot to be said for candles.

Four candles.

lobster
  • Recently this was a task I was faced with. So after I had shut power off to the house it was time for the needle nosed pliers. Getting out the base of the broken bulb out can be challenging. So prepare for a little frustration.

Jeffrey
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

How many @Jeffrey s does it take to change a light bulb ? :)

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

We haven't gotten an update from Jeffrey today.

RIP, Jeffrey. We'll really miss you!

JeffreySarahT
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2015

I need to make a trip to the hardware stores for a globe light, needle nose pliers, safety glasses, and replacement fluorescent lights (a different project). I get paid soon though!

(so don't assume that I am 'electrocuted' if I don't report back timely :)

lobster
  • @federica said:
    There's an awful lot to be said for candles.

Four candles.

Shoshinfedericaanataman
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

13 Amp....

edited February 2015

Oh, and be careful around broken fluorescent light tubes, they contain dodgy chemicals.

That's a point: how exactly do we dispose of those energy-saving lightbulbs? They're basically the same thing, aren't they...?

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited February 2015

@federica said:
    That's a point: how exactly do we dispose of those energy-saving lightbulbs? They're basically the same thing, aren't they...?

In the US, at least, you can usually return them to the retailer. Home Depot and Lowe's supposedly accept CFLs for recycling. Some states let you throw them out in the trash, others require recycling.

http://www2.epa.gov/cfl/recycling-and-disposal-after-cfl-burns-out

edited February 2015

Well, I'll just hop on a 'plane.... :mrgreen:

I'll do a search here.. there must be somewhere closer....

Ok, checked.

It might as well be the USA.... It's miles away!!