Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Gaming, Games and Gamers: news, ideas and troubleshooting..

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

OK, guys: Some of you are avid Gaming fanatics, enjoying the diversionary pleasures of countless hours of fun! here's the thread to put down everything and anything you want about the rules, rudiments and riot of electronic joy!

And hit start - go for it!

Comments

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    Oh boy...

I love my gaming, but as the years go on I'm realising the addictive capabilities of this!

I'm playing less and less which is great but I can still easily play 12 hours straight. I find this negatively impacts my mood and it is quiet unhealthy physically. I waste much of my weekend on gaming so I'm less constructive around the house.
    This in turn effects my week.

I guess I can say the only positive of gaming is you forget the world for a while. You can leave a sad uncontrollable situation and enter a reality where you can do anything. Obviously this is escapism!

They even have esports now! After all my years of gaming I'm still not good enough! Doh!

Anybody else feel the potential bite of gaming addiction? Or that you lose hours from gaming quickly

I'm a huge elder scrolls fan XD
    zombiegirlBeejlobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Lose hours. Yes. Indeed. Thankfully I have family to keep me in line, or there are days I don't remember to even eat meals. It's been many years since that happened, but it happened back in the day when Oblivion first came out, lol. Elder Scrolls games are really the only games I can do that with though, I get too frustrated by other games to play for hours. I don't play much for console games, even though we have a wii, wiiu, PS4 and Xbox1. I play Tomb Raider on xbox1, and I play some wii games with my youngest son. But he's better than me at everything other than old school Mario :)

My first gaming love was Zork. "You might be eaten by a Grue" no graphics, text-only Zork. I had a C64 computer when I was about 8 years old (30 years ago now) and I loved that thing. Then came Mario and Nintendo, and I loved that, too. I've had video games since I was very young, today is no exception, lol.

These days I mostly play WoW and Skyrim, though my subscription is on hold with WoW because I got bored after completing the stuff in the new expansion. It's fun to be able to play with my husband and friends at the same time. I picked up skyrim again a couple weeks ago after a year or more not playing. Love it the same every time I start again. Though between my husband and I, we have almost 400 hours into Skyrim, lol. But that's since it came out in 2011.

We only have one computer that can play Skyrim right now, and that's my husband's desktop. I have a 4 year old Sony Vaio, it'll play Oblivion and Sims3 but not Skyrim. So, I am in the market for a new laptop so I don't have to hog up the desktop. Probably going to get an Asus ROG with a SSD instead of a HDD. I don't feel like swapping components right away and it's the most bang for the buck. My 12 year old can have this computer, his died months ago and is rather old and slow as heck. But he'll have to work to pay off some of it, lol.

It's funny, after I wandered into Buddhism several years ago, I find myself feeling bad for killing particular creatures in games, even though they obviously aren't real, lol.

EarthninjazombiegirlBeej
  • I play Guild Wars 2, and really enjoy it, but I have to keep myself in check or else I could easily forget to spend time on things that mean more to me.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

I too am an Elder Scrolls addict. I played the first Elder Scrolls game, Arena, way back in the Stone Age, and have been playing them ever since. The only one I skipped was Oblivion - I found the characters so ugly they completely distracted me from the gameplay. My first computer game was called Colossal Cave Adventure (or just Adventure for short), one of the very first text based games. I've been hooked ever since.

I do wonder about the effect video games have on my conciousness. While enjoyable and distracting, video games make me tense and occasionally very frustrated. Right now I'm trying a semi-pacifist playthrough of Skyrim. If an enemy approaches, I cast either a Pacify or Harmony spell on them. This makes them completely non-hostile for 60 seconds. There are two problems with this. One is that many quests require that you kill an enemy. The other is that some enemies are immune to illusions, leaving you no choice but to put them down. I'm also trying to be more mindful by just walking through the game and enjoying the scenery (its a very pretty game), instead of running madly everywhere.

zombiegirlBeej

I don't usually get frustrated any more, if I do, I realize I've stopped enjoying the game and it's time to put it down for a bit. Sometimes it's a day, sometimes it's many days, sometimes even longer.
    Sometimes, finding a way to outsmart the game can be fun, I imagine. I don't have the patience, but this guy did:
    http://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-warcraft-level-90-no-kills/

I try to focus on being the good guy, helping people with problems and so on. But I find I enjoy the thieves guild and dark brotherhood quests too much to get too far with that, lol. For me though I don't find that it translates into my real life. I don't find myself angry or frustrated or upset or wishing I could assassinate people or steal their Statues of Dibella, lol.

I too will quit when I get too frustrated. I was playing the final battle in Shadowrun Returns, and got curb stomped. Instead of blowing my top, I put the game down and haven't played since. My character has almost no combat skills, so I may be completely hosed.

I'm trying to imagine a WoW playthrough without killing a single enemy, and really can't fathom it. MMOs aren't really my thing, but I did play up to level 14 or so in WoW a few years ago. I guess you could do it as a pure healer, or crafter, but it would take a lot of patience.

I too usually play the good guy. Except that Skyrim doesn't really have much to offer a paladin style character. Sure you can save the world, but the guild quests are pretty dark. The Dawnguard expansion does let you play as a vampire hunter, which is an improvement. I did the Thieves' Guild quests, but I just couldn't stomach assassinating people, even if it is just a game.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Thank goodness I don't have the gaming addiction!

With all the books I read, meditation practice, yoga on a and off since the year began, family life, checking messages on internet.... I would need like three extra hours every day! And I'm already goint to bed at 2 a.m....!

What I can even less understand, is children's passion with gaming.
    My son looks so bored when he does not carry his tablet somewhere, and during his waking hours, the only things he seems to talk about is Minecraft, Clash of Clash, Boom Beach... and his forbidden objects of desire: Call of Duty and GTA, which due to his age are naturally VERBOTEN around the house.

In the summer, kids play outside and this obssession seems easier to keep within manageable bounds, but in winter, it's awful: if children are not gaming, they get bored, and I seem to be like the only mother in the universe who limits gaming time.
    So I have to shut up, comply with the general rules and do like the rest of the parents in order not to get my son ostracised by the "weird mom" label.

As a parent, the gaming issue is triggering all sorts of qualms within me. :(

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2015

@DhammaDragon, read my latest (long) post in the random announcements thread.... You are joining an ever-growing force of parents who seriously worry.

Let's not hog this thread though, with our comments - this is after all for those adults who enjoy gaming and can control their urges....!

Earthninja

Okay, Fede.
    I have been off a couple of days and have not read all the threads yet...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(No, I just put it in there... ;) )

(I have copied and pasted this comment over there)

:+1:

My kids have limits. I do not place limits on my 18 year old, but he does not have time for it to be a concern. He is in 3 sports and at least 4 other activities. His little time spent at home is basically eating, sleeping, homework, and college prep. The younger 2 covet their "tech time" but it is limited. They get one hour a day on school days and 2 hours a day on the weekend. Sometimes we make exceptions on really cold days but it's not often. Even if it's cold out, they find other activities. They read alot, my middle son is into learning card tricks for a talent show. My middle son (who is 12) does not have a phone, and will not have one until he is old enough to drive. He does have a tablet but he is currently grounded from his tech time for bad grades, lol. In our house, tech time is highly prized but has to be earned. That has been the expectation since they were very young so it is just how things are. They don't cry about wanting more time or anything, they just put it down when it's time and play a board game or whatever instead. I did not have game limits as a kid, though I don't blame my parents. That was all very new back then. I think I spent an entire summer play Mario when the Nintendo first came out.

Games are a part of life in our house. We have A LOT of tech gear, we are just gadget people. We have 5 people in our house, and 5 computers, 5 tablets, 4 game systems (not including handheld systems like the DS and I think we have 4 of those, too). We play together, and we play separate. Some of the most fun we have together is trying to play multi-player Mario, lol. But we always try to make it out to be something you put down in favor of spending time outside, or spending time with people. And so far, that's how the kids have accepted it. They would rather go sledding or hiking or swimming than play games. But it's a changing world, and it's hard to navigate as a parent. We have a strict rule about no phones/devices/toys at the dinner table. But it is increasingly difficult to argue with them about that when restaurants have devices at the table to order and pay with, and so on. All the manners that seem like common sense to me have to be renegotiated. They might be growing up in that world, but their future bosses did not, lol.

The hardest is limiting myself, honestly. Kids follow by example, not by rules created only in word. So for me to put limits on them, I have to limit myself, and that's hard, lol. I decided long ago I wanted them more so to follow my lead on interacting with the people in your life, and reading and spending time outside. So even on days I really would rather play a game for hours, I don't. They have followed that lead pretty well.

EarthninjaBeej
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2015

I tend to like certain games and play them over and over like 'comfort food'. But a lot of other games I restart and restart every time I try to finally beat them.

Here are some games I am a chronic restarter: fallout 3, morrowind, the Witcher 1, and Dragon Age Origins. Notice that these are 'sandbox games' (open world) though I have beaten: Oblivion and Skyrim.

And here are some games that I play(ed) over and over and over again: Dungeon Lords, Titan Quest, and Sacred 2. Notice that these are ARPGs (action role playing games).

Currently I am playing Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition which I would rate in my top ten favorite games for sure. I am making a play through with protagonist a dual class cleric of Lathander 14/Mage X with 4 companions: Jan Jansen, Kheldorn, Jaheira, and Imoen. If I play Throne of Bhaal (doubtful because super high levels I am overwhelmed by spell picks) I will take the mystery character (is there such a thing as spoiler in 15 year old game) that is revealed.

EarthninjaBeej

@karasti I don't have kids, and probably never will (thanks to age and medical issues), so I don't have to worry about setting an example. I think it's great that you're being a role model for your kids. Many parents would happily dump their kids in front of a TV or PC and use the device as an electronic babysitter. I do wish that my fiancee enjoyed playing computer games so we could have fun together.
    @Jeffrey Yes, BG2 is one of the all-time greats. I beat it once with a Paladin and once with a Blade (think Haer'Dalis). I also didn't finish Throne of Bhaal. I can't remember if it was too hard, or I just had a bad team. I still have my original discs floating around the house somewhere. Try Fallout New Vegas sometime. It has a much better storyline than Fallout 3, more variety in weapons, etc. I tried playing the Witcher 2, but found the characters and storyline too dark. Skyrim is one of my all-time favorites, but I couldn't get into Oblivion. I'm starting a replay of Morrowind, with a mod to give it modern graphics.

Earthninja
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited January 2015
    I think I'm a binge gamer. When a new game comes out, I might log crazy hours... But eventually that subsides. Sometimes I won't touch video games for like a month, sometimes it's an every night thing. Just depends, I guess. I have way too many hobbies and they all tend to follow a similar cycle... reading, writing, playing music, making crafts, etc.

Like karasti, I got my start on the Commodore 64, since my parents were kind of like first gen gamers, heh. The first game I remember playing was called Potty Pigeon. You were a bird that crapped on people and cars, lol. No joke.

I'm still a pretty big Nintendo fangirl and Zelda would definitely rank as my all time favorite series. But my other favs would probably be the Mario games, Resident Evil, Dragon Age, Left 4 Dead, and Katamari. Final Fantasy has a fond place in my heart but I sort of gave up on the franchise years ago.

Right now I'm eyeballing Shadows of Mordor but have too much on my gamer plate at the moment.
    BeejEarthninja

Man, I'm sad I missed out on Potty Pigeon, LOL! My first games other than Zork, were Paperboy and some skateboarding game that was nearly impossible. And Oregon Trail, of course. Have you seen that the archives.org has put tons of old video games online to play for free now? I play Oregon Trail at least weekly now!

My hubby picked up Shadows of Mordor, he seems to like it. I haven't played it yet. I get game ADD and I switch between a bunch of games and then end up playing nothing. I enjoy the Sims games, but I have not picked up Sims 4, it looks so similar to 3 I'm not sure it's worth it. I'm not ashamed to say I enjoy the heck out of Wii Sports, lol. It's the only way I can bowl well ;)

I feel like I'm at a geek game convention... Its honestly all, completely alien to me.... But I'm glad you guys are taking advantage of the thread! :hurrah:

Earthninja
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    What a perfect thread for me to see after logging in for the first time in a while. I am sort of in the midst of a return to a gaming addiction. Right now, its the game called Destiny, which can consume countless hours based on it's carrot/stick reward system where you revisit areas you've already been over and over and over again, hoping to increase your strength and gear to ease the trouble of thwarting a varried alien mennace. But if it wasn't Destiny, it would be another game that i'd sink into. It happens to me every winter. I love the outdoors and spend as much time as i can riding my bike and playing Disc Golf, but that ends in December and doesn't become viable again until March. I sit by the "virtual glow" of the digital "fireplace" all winter long. i crave sunlight, but overcast and short days keep it in low supply. The only evident redeeming factor is that there is a vast community of similarly sun deprived people who can get tovether, via the internet, and play these games together. Friendships are forged, and some even withstand the eventual demise of a game's lifespan. They can carry on to another game or they can materialize as actual face to face interactions.

What i find most intriguing about games is that i am in cooperation with my entertainment choices... I am an active participant. I get bored watching TV and movies. Through games, i create my own story line. I think that kids, or anyone that prefers this type of activity are making some non-verbal declarations. One of which being: "i want to be a part of something that doesn't exist in our real world, and i want to choose who i am above the limitations of this body, this face, these eyes...". Also, a good game can increase your heart rate, which feels pretty darn fun. ;)
  • One of my favorite games was eternal darkness. The macabre fantasy of HP lovecraft along with puzzle solving and repeating of dungeon environments through history such as different ruins. It just had so many cool gameplay and environments.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @karasti Did you die of dysentery yet? :awesome:

BTW, for anyone feeling nostalgic about obscure games, you can find gameplay on YouTube of practically anything. I had memories of some weird Alice in Wonderland game on the C64 and was able to find it on there! Also, Popful Mail... A super awesome RPG for the Sega CD that I seem to be the only person who played it.

@TheBeejAbides I hear you about "making your own story". Television and most movies just bore me. That said, the older I get, the less I like having my heart rate raised. So for the past few years, I've been moving away from shooters to more RPG and turn-based strategy games. Unlike your winter-time addiction, I love games year round. If I go outside, I'll either get too hot, too cold, rained on, or eaten by bugs. I prefer the indoors and a controlled climate.

If you're craving sun light, you could try one of the lamps prescribed for Season Affective Disorder. That way you can play and get your (artificial) sunlight at the same time.

Earthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2015

One of my early geek heroes was a kid who lived across the road from an Internet cafe, he played computer games there, for hours, for days. One week of almost constant play and he died of exhaustion. Now this was at a time before Internet, gaming and farcebook addiction was a growing phenomena. They should put up a statue to the kid . . . and a health warning on games o:)

At the time I considered him a pioneering gaming martyr . . . and early warning signal. Now kids and adults are merging into mobile phone cyborgs, game on pizza guzzlers and adrenaline monitor junkies. Sound familiar? Good thing? Inevitable? Moderation, self control? Abstinence?

Addiction is not a game . . .

Bring back 'Eco the Dolphin'.

I have been a gaming addict, playing all night is common. Hours slip away. Finally exhaustion.

edited January 2015

@zombiegirl lol the last time I played, I named all my family members after famous serial killers. Ted Bundy was the only one to survive, though he broke his leg twice so I'm not sure how he managed to keep hunting.

Lucky for me, I lack patience and while I most certainly can lose track of time, I eventually get to a point I get stuck and get POd and then I quit playing, lol.

However. Last week, I went to dinner with my dad and a distant relative. They talked for hours about their adventures the things they have done in their lives. I look back on mine and I see a whole lot of time spent on the computer. I'm not happy with that assessment of my life so some things will be changing. It's not the only thing, thankfully. But I can do better. When I have grandkids one day, what stories will I tell them? I want more stories. There are no stories to tell about internet time, facebook discussions, comment wars and gaming.

My dad told stories of going camping in remote woods and helping tourists carry their gear, of having backpacks stolen by bears. Of building bombs and blowing up abandoned cars. "oh! I have a good one! You should have seen the time I totally owned a discussion about vaccines on the internet against a person who not only doesn't believe in them, but can't spell, either!" No comparison. Back to living, I think.

lobsterzombiegirlTelly03
    Anything in excess is bad. True, video games have a tendency to draw you in and eat up time, but if you're just playing them after work or in random free time where the alternative is channel surfing or whatever, I don't really see the harm.

I'm never going to have stories about bears stealing my backpack, but not because I play video games. More like... Because I'm terrified of bears and will never go camping where they are known to thrive... I guess I just feel like, some people are outdoorsy exciting types... And I don't know if I am that, video games or not. Introverts will always find an interest. Books long predated video games and when you get down to it, most games are just kind of choose your own adventure novels.
  • I have only ever gotten addicted to two games. Sid Meier's Civilization. and Halo.

edited February 2015

Hmm, there's a good bit of negativity towards video games all of a sudden. Let me tell you how video games improved my life (yes, you read that right.)

Back in the 90's I was stuck in a boring, low-paying job. I wanted to play the latest video games on a PC, but I couldn't afford the latest and greatest computer. So I scraped together a few pennies, and bought an old junker of a PC. I then taught myself to upgrade and configure it so I could play those video games. This directly led to my current career in Information Technology. So video games can lead to a positive outcome.

As for addiction, I seem to recall a definition referring to "significant impairment in functioning." While I do occasionally stay up late playing a game, I never play to the point of exhaustion, or much less, starvation. I don't lose days off the job to video gaming, nor do I neglect my fiancee or animals as a result of my gaming. I probably do play too much, but that is time that would otherwise be dedicated to reading fiction or watching TV.

Now another important question is whether or not my gaming habit is an obstacle to my practice. That I'm not so sure about. After all, I'm losing myself in an illusion within an illusion. Perhaps as I meditate more, and deepen my practice, video gaming will gradually fall away. If that's the way it goes, so be it.

I'm certainly not blaming video games, for me, it's the entire computer, and more so the internet than video games. I certainly don't blame the internet, the computer and/or the games though. If I have regrets, that's on me. I'd rather be doing something else,and it's on me that I haven't, so it's on me to change that, too.

I am an introvert to be sure, but I am very much an outdoors person and I live in an area that is surrounded with the opportunity to spend time in the outdoors any moment I want. i can literally walk out my back door and in minutes be in an area where there are no roads, no cars, no people. I spent about 10 years away from here while in college and early working years, but I promised myself that when we moved back 10 years ago that would change. To some degree it has, but not as much as I'd like. That is just something I realized recently and plan to change. At least when it's not -20F outside, like it is now. I do have limits, lol. This morning, I play skyrim instead while we get ready to watch the superbowl that I could care less about :) Also, the people you run into while camping are more of a risk than the bears. We don't have brown bears here, just black bears, and I'd rather run into one of them than most people. They are pretty harmless, as are the wolves.

• A TED (technology, education, and design) featured a psychiatrist (I think?) who had had a mental illness and video games helped her recover because they introduce a level of stress that can easily be overcome.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2015

Is there a dharma gamer site that does not use flash, so can be used on an iPad and is for the over 10's (might be too advanced for me)?

http://www.dharmagames.org

edited February 2015
    @lobster Not exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps this would help.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
  • @nakazcid said:
    lobster Not exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps this would help.

https://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

:)
    Thanks. Not what I need. <3

I was thinking of perhaps a 3D game, with multiple temples, sitting in real time, zapping impediments, firing up metta, firing koans at zen dragon guardians and generally mind melding with the Boddhisatvas of every level . . .

Approaching Enlightenment . . . remove your shoes . . . bow, bow . . . too late, not enough humility . . . need to rebirth . . .

. . . that sort of thing . . .

Probably stick with SecondLife for now . . . not yet available for iPad . . .