Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What motivates your practice?

My recent difficulties have been a stark reminder of the inevitability of suffering, and I've been reflecting on what has motivated me to practice down the years. The stock answer might be something like freedom from suffering, but on reflection I don't think that's ever been my primary motivation. It's more like a tremendous curiosity, a desire to explore and to understand, a wish to see things as they really are.

How about you?

sovaanatamanboobysattva

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2015

I'm not going to bang my drum, or write something that could be perceived as a 'pissing contest'.
    Suffice to say, that I too have experienced turbulent times; the road has been rocky, an uphill gradient, and goodness, the wheel sure is wonky...

But I must admit my focus actually has been to discern a way to transcend Suffering.
    Is it acceptance? Does acceptance mean 'giving in, and letting be'...?
    I don't think so.

I have been in this situation for far too long, for my liking (there I go, complaining again!) so I do see things 'as they really are'. (that doesn't make me better or more advanced than anyone else... proof is my still-existent struggling....) just 'get it'. Or aspects of it.

my struggle is in processing things. The balance between Acceptance and Action....

That is my quest.
    To keep fighting, but to see that things unfolding are unfolding as they are unfolding....

BunksHamsakaBuddhadragonboobysattva
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2015
    Mainly the want to be happy and see others happy while being able to affect the environment in a positive way.

And yes, curiosity is a big motivator too. I love the wonder and I'm optimistic in that I doubt I'll ever figure it all out completely. Wonder would be missed I think.

Other than that pretty much everything. I can't think of anything that couldn't motivate my practice if I'm clear headed enough to pay attention.
    boobysattva
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

My motivation in arriving at Buddhism's door was to have a more balanced, more peaceful life where every little thing wasn't causing so much upheaval in my mind, in my emotions, in my family and in all other areas of my life. It was me learning to deal with myself and those interactions with the world around me. That's still my motivation to my daily practice. It's why I meditate every day. I'm truly not interested at this point in arriving at a point of no more suffering. I'd prefer to stay and help others. It is just what makes the most sense to me, I don't feel like I'm here to save myself, in the long run. That is my motivation beyond today. It is why I get my butt out of bed early on weekend mornings when it's miserably cold to spend time with my sangha, because it is a view we share and work towards together.

boobysattva
  • Generally speaking, I took up Buddhism because it suited my nature. And over a lifetime I've discovered that it really helps me get through the tough times. There are some wonderful and practical teachings there, that some categorize as "Buddhist psychology", that have really helped in challenging or bleak circumstances. It really helps you roll with the punches life can throw. =)

Bunksboobysattva
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited February 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    My recent difficulties have been a stark reminder of the inevitability of suffering, and I've been reflecting on what has motivated me to practice down the years. The stock answer might be something like freedom from suffering, but on reflection I don't think that's ever been my primary motivation. It's more like a tremendous curiosity, a desire to explore and to understand, a wish to see things as they really are.

How about you?

I am really really tired of the burden of constructing. I just want to rest from it all right now.
    To be content.
    To be at peace.

Hamsakaboobysattva
  • To be wise and happy.

lobsterRodrigoboobysattva
  • mmommo Veteran

To get used to impermance of everything. And to practice as much as I can before death.

lobsterBuddhadragonboobysattva
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited February 2015

In the beginning, it was to better myself as a person and also to pander to the part of ego that says "You're better than others if you're more spiritually aware.

As I got older, not necessarily wiser, and had a few more "life experiences" I realised that bettering myself as a person IS the best thing for all sentient beings. And it's more than enough. It's a lifelong (dare I say, several lives) goal. I no longer care who knows either. Maybe I'm growing up? :p

_ /\ _

lobsterBuddhadragonboobysattva
  • My pain and compassion for others (which probably boils down to my pain again).

Me me me me (I know I know).

lobsterRodrigoKundo
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@mmo said:
    To get used to impermance of everything. And to practice as much as I can before death.

I totally rez with this. For me, what it kind of boils down to is that Buddha and Jesus Christ are the teddy bears of spirituality. HERE [in them] is the love.

lobstermmoboobysattva
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

To realise the unreality of the problem!

I'm not a fatalist
    I'm not a determinist
    I'm not even a dermatologist
    To call myself a buddhist is probably very presumptive...

I'm just slightly knotted...

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

To put end end to my suffering is what motivates me.

lobsterboobysattva
  • Life is better with it than it is without it. I am better off. Those I'm around are better off. It's a pragmatic thing more than anything else.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited February 2015

I think I mentioned this in another similar thread...

Crises brought me to the Dharma and now inner peace keeps me here... :)

silverBuddhadragon
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    edited February 2015

@Victorious said:
    I am really really tired of the burden of constructing. I just want to rest from it all right now.
    To be content.
    To be at peace.

^^ This describes my motivation that led me to Buddhist-ish practice. Another prime motivation is exhaustion, and then wondering what in the hell I'm doing to get so exhausted and for what? On a more optimistic note, I've always sensed 'there is more' than what the sense doors (as I now call them) can sense. That 'more' is pretty general, it could be 'less' just as meaningfully, which makes no sense at all.

Jeffrey
  • I always had an interest in spirituality, but after trying and trying different spiritual paths, I felt that Buddhism resonated the most with me. I started on this path because I felt that it could help me find my peace and tame the monkey mind. :smile: I wanted to be "someone" my entire life, but in the end that egotistical behaviour that was behind my motives only made me unhappy, hateful, bitter and so on. So I'm motivated by the fact that I want some peace of mind and change those aspects.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Hamsaka said:On a more optimistic note, I've always sensed 'there is more' than what the sense doors (as I now call them) can sense. That 'more' is pretty general, it could be 'less' just as meaningfully, which makes no sense at all.

Yes, me too, and I've always had a fascination with the altered states of consciousness that arise sometimes in meditation. Part of my curiosity I suppose.

Hamsaka
  • @Victorious. My goodness I'm concerned for you. The journey to grim sounds alarming.

"What motivates your practice?"

edited February 2015

@grackle said:
    Victorious. My goodness I'm concerned for you. The journey to grim sounds alarming.

Naa no worries mate. =)

I have always been Grim.

Hope all is well with you.

/Victor

• Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    To remind myself that it isn't all about me--especially if "me" doesn't exist inherently.
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    Oh, and because I often need a reminder that Dharma > drama in my life! :wink:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

But 'me does exist. Just as much as it doesn't.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

What motivates my practice? What brought me here? What keeps me here?
    Seeing clearly into reality.
    Accepting reality.
    No pining. No whining. Just hanging in there.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Too many different things to list here but they might fit under the headings of
    Karma/
    Suffering/
    & dumb f---ing luck/

DairyLamalobster
  • What motivates your practice?

Mostly ignorance. Without it I would not bother . . . B)

how
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

At one time, I would have answered "to make myself a better person." Sadly, the truth would've been "I want to become a person I don't hate." Fortunately, I've arrived at that point. So the question becomes, "Now what?"

It's a mix of things at this juncture. Like @SpinyNorman I'm curious about where meditation will lead and the nature of consciousness. But mostly it's because Buddhism has made me a happier, more stable person, and I look forward to improving my life even more.

lobstersilver

"What motivates you ?"

nakazcidlobsterJeffrey

Carrots are good! Better than being a Zennie and continually hit with a stick! ;)

Shoshin
    edited February 2015

@dhammachick said:
    I'm tired of fighting against everything.

I think that pretty much sums up this thread for me.

=)

• howhow Veteran Veteran

The option of experiencing an ever widening heart/mind over the alternative.

lobster

Yes, that's a good way of saying it. I've always liked the word "spaciousness" which my old teacher Sogyal Rinpoche used frequently when talking about the mind.

lobster
  • I am a little late to this party but a really nice thread. Suffering does bring us to the doorstep. Not once but several times. What makes us stay sometimes feels like the Buddha invites you to tea and looks over you and sees through everything inside you and you get so lost you forget to go home to wherever it was before you got here :)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2015

deep reverence

MODERATOR NOTE:
    Picture redacted
    Slogan too offensive to permit.

Lobster note:
    Offensive slogan completely valid BUT very offensive as noted
    Ah well . . . o:)

boobysattva
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran