Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Covenant for Jews

Unlike Rabbi Jesus and his band of Merry Gals, I make a terrible Bodhi.

However a superficial glance at Hassidic wisdom proves good advice is present:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/authors/a/rabbi-noah-weinberg/

Is the Rabbinical tradition part of our potential Buddhist heritage?

OY MANI PEME HUM

KundoToshRowan1980

Comments

• octinomosoctinomos Explorer
    edited March 2015

Abraham is said to have given presents to the East, which they corrupted, etc. (eg: from a Jewish perspective) but at first they were pure. Everything is governed from above, so even hate literature is part of G-d's plan, as it were.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Weird God, if you ask me.....

• All gods are Wyrd [sic]

Here is one with a headless dog whom I 'met' in Southark Cathedral yesterday . . .
    It is believed to be a pagan hunter god that preceded the present incumbency and was found underneath the present building.

and now back to the vaudeville action:

My dogs got no nose.
    Your dogs got no nose? How does he smell?
    Awful!

Thanks @octinomos keep up the good work, hateful stuff but someone has to do it . . .

Kundooctinomos
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@lobster said:

OY MANI PEME HUM

<3

• thin line between love and hate...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I personally don't see the hate....? To what are you alluding....?

• Love is blind <3

Chag Sameach and Happy Purim. Eat some Hamentaschen and be merry.

Eaten those with Poppy seed fillings! Very yum!!

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 2015
    Hate?

Gee, what a super message!

@octinomos said:
    Everything is governed from above, so even hate literature is part of G-d's plan, as it were.

I don't know if I agree with you on that, but I can see where you're coming from.

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

@octinomos said:
    Abraham is said to have given presents to the East, which they corrupted, etc. (eg: from a Jewish perspective) but at first they were pure. Everything is governed from above, so even hate literature is part of G-d's plan, as it were.

It is? Everything? I wasn't aware of that :awesome:

My class on Mathematical Thinking has me questioning the premises upon which information is based. If the premise is incorrect, then the information that follows is incorrect. Wait, I didn't need a silly online class to tell me that . . .

Since no one can show how everything is governed from above, we ought not to make any further assumptions based on this premise, because they would probably be wrong or wrongheaded, and lead us to drawing the wrong conclusions when what we really need is an accurate conclusion.

I know I know, I'll be tedious and pedantic until the class is over.

MODERATOR NOTE:

@octinomos, I'll be blunt: Start bandying Christian dogma and belief round here, as if it were undeniable concrete truth, and you're liable to get very short shrift from just about everyone.
    If people on here tear you a new one, - well, I'm just advising you... It doesn't sit well.

Members: Let's remember our manners. That's all.

KundoVastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@octinomos said:
    thin line between love and hate...

Thick line between a Buddhism forum and Christian forum.

how
  • @dhammachick said:
    Chag Sameach and Happy Purim. Eat some Hamentaschen and be merry.

Be Merry. Plan. Joyous Holiday. Food. Eh Ma Ho (Traditional Tibetan Yiddish saying: 'How Wonderful')

Think I am connecting to my inner Bujew . . .

OM SHALOM

Kundo
  • ToshTosh Veteran

@lobster said:

Unlike Rabbi Jesus and his band of Merry Gals, I make a terrible Bodhi.

However a superficial glance at Hassidic wisdom proves good advice is present:

http://www.simpletoremember.com/authors/a/rabbi-noah-weinberg/

Is the Rabbinical tradition part of our potential Buddhist heritage?

OY MANI PEME HUM

I've actually downloaded the first ten of those mp3 talks on there. I'll listen to them tomorrow while I'm working (I do manual work, which makes it easy to do this).

If they don't bore me. If they do, I've got some lectures on the Crusades to listen to instead! =)

Kundolobster
  • nothing happens that's not governed by the static laws of the universe. call it what you will but there are set laws and not even g-d can violate them. they're static.

edited March 2015

that's what i meant by it's not something you choose. you don't choose a hurricane or an earthquake right? so why should you choose even higher laws than those having to do with the physical? we only see the coarsest level of things, not the more subtle which go beyond the most advanced microscope... they're on a whole nother plane/dimension. a psychic might tap into it a bit i suppose, albeit for non-kosher reasons...

• g-d could violate them if he wanted...

@octinomos said:
    nothing happens that's not governed by the static laws of the universe. call it what you will but there are set laws and not even g-d can violate them. they're static.

For example....?

edited March 2015

@octinomos said:
    that's what i meant by it's not something you choose. you don't choose a hurricane or an earthquake right? so why should you choose even higher laws than those having to do with the physical? we only see the coarsest level of things, not the more subtle which go beyond the most advanced microscope... they're on a whole nother plane/dimension. a psychic might tap into it a bit i suppose, albeit for non-kosher reasons...

Not worth worrying about, when you consider the difficulties faced by most people in just sticking to the precepts and following the 'path'.

I have things closer to home to worry about more, than subtle, psychically-viewable nonsense....

octinomos
    edited March 2015

what's an example of an immutable law, for example good does not exist in a vacuum. there has to be evil for good to make sense. evil is part of the process of development. evil simply means deviation from the orderly process and divine path, if you will...

Both are subjective.

octinomos
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited March 2015

Good and evil are mere concepts, signs. Each is ultimately empty.

The only thing that stays the same is change.

lobster
    edited March 2015

Sorry, couldn't resist :P

Daozenlobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I think of god as a minor middle eastern deity.
    Perhaps on par with your average Bodhisattva.
    Like our identity or Ego, promoting anything beyond it's capacity to govern is just something compassionate folks shouldn't do.

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    MODERATOR NOTE:

octinomos, I'll be blunt: Start bandying Christian dogma and belief round here, as if it were undeniable concrete truth, and you're liable to get very short shrift from just about everyone.
    If people on here tear you a new one, - well, I'm just advising you... It doesn't sit well.

Members: Let's remember our manners. That's all.

What's a christian?

octinomos
  • @octinomos said:
    what's an example of an immutable law, for example good does not exist in a vacuum. there has to be evil for good to make sense. evil is part of the process of development. evil simply means deviation from the orderly process and divine path, if you will...

Nonsense.

Good in the highest sense does not require an opposite, does not require a sense of context. Evil has no existence, it is simply the ignorance based on dualistic thinking. Orderly process? How is that not working out for you? Maybe you are deluded by your vacuum cleaner and your justification of your 'path'. Let us see what a reflection does for you. <3

Are you practicing Dharma or here to educate us on Cod and other fishy concepts? Which aspects of the psychic are you deluded or clear about? There is as you are probably aware nothing kosher or kosher free in any unconstructed realm. You have however been drawn here . . . Where do you place yourself in the law that is partly non existent? B)

octinomosDairyLama
    edited March 2015

choosing either good or evil means a deviation from the middle path which combines opposites into one. our own logic is always flawed compared to the divine forces on the psychic level.

edited March 2015

No, because thy are illusory, They are mere fragments of perception, and as such, are not so much a diversion as a distraction. Understanding that they are one and the same, and even then, questionable in their essence, takes away their power. They only exist in your head.

lobsteroctinomos
    edited March 2015

from the perspective of divine order the level we're on is the complete opposite, meaning evil defines every situation by the fact spirit is completely missing in action so that we do not get the true picture of things and so by default are in sin and evil and in need of illumination/redemption, which can only come through study of Torah and doing mitzvot.

edited March 2015

i have nothing to do with christian dogma, etc. but maybe they use some terms that come from the Torah and other authoritative sources so one thinks that maybe they're right... incorrectly, i may add. I'll be the first to put down dogmatic thinking and ignorance. you're not gonna get a lot of christians going: yeah that's our boy octinomos... look at him go... but a miracle could happen, i suppose. can't rule anything out a priori...

I'll be the first to put down dogmatic thinking and ignorance.

he said...

....which can only come through study of Torah and doing mitzvot.

I see that works well for you....

octinomos
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> Eaten those with Poppy seed fillings! Very yum!!

Many moons ago I remember we used to buy bagels from an all-night bakery near Brick Lane in the East End of London. Nearby there were lots of curry houses, sort of like an Indian version of a working man's cafe, basic and cheap but also very tasty.

edited March 2015

They're the best...! When my elder brother had his 40th birthday, we treated him and went to Southall with my family and ate in a typical Indian cafe - melamine tables, red plastic bench seats, grey 'faux marble' lino floor tiles, neon strip lighting...... the curries were displayed behind a glass counter, in what I can only describe as school aluminium serving trays - you know - the big, deep rectangular one with a handle at each end... My brother thought it was a joke, but it turned out to be the best evening we'd had for ages... no music, no soft lighting - just all the fellow diners were Indian, but from all walks of life.... and so friendly. Great night out! And the food, my goodness, what a treat! Anyone who thinks they're getting "the real deal" going out to a bespoke, High Street indian restaurant should think again!

lobster
  • I believe food is a Jewish invention, starting with an apple.

Brick Lane has a wonderful community feel to it. There used to be a bagel store open all hours at one end. Curries are I believe suitable for Buddhists to eat. I used to live in Bradford, when the curry houses were not regulated. Wooden tables, wooden benches, plates but no cutlery, curries were served in Indian woks (Balti) rather than separate serving dishes. Rice was never used only chappatti in a basket. These curry houses some open until 4AM have now 'improved' - pah, I don't eat or need or want to be charged for table clothing! Some curry houses were in basic basements, the loos were not fit to exist. The food, waiters and company was wonderful.

In a similar way is food in Judaism part of the 'teaching' about family, love, communication etc?

(Actually, it was probably a fig....)

lobsteroctinomos