Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"why does time always run forwards and never backwards?"

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Not that everyone is likely to be as enthusiastic, but I was left giddy as a school girl in the front row at a rock concert to find a BBC article today about why time moves forward and never back. It's literate, accessible and mind-bending. I am left as dumb as I was before I found it, but that doesn't put a dent in the delight.

crystal_bethHamsakagboaventura

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Physics is definitely not a strong suit of mine, but I find it fascinating. Terrific article :)
    When the article was talking about how things move to a greater state of disarray, it made me think of the human body aging, lol. My body definitely feels in disarray compared to 20 years ago, and I'm only 39.
    Thanks for sharing! It'll make for a great conversation with my son later. He understands all these things much better than I do.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm afraid my brain scrambled by the fifth paragraph. I tried to digest it, but unless someone can outline and summarise the article in a few simple sentences, I'm afraid I can't be arsed....

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2015

@federica -- I sympathize utterly. I guess what I liked about it was that, although I couldn't claim to 'understand' it all, at least someone was thinking outside the box and invited me to come along.

Thinking inside the box -- time never moves backwards -- is the rational, reasonable and inside-the-box assumption. But is it true or is it merely convenient? I don't know, but I find the bubblegum flavorful.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Maybe it's a bit like manoeuvring a boat on a river.... Really quite smooth and 'plain sailing' going forward but it looks awkward and unnatural reversing... And does going backwards really undo something or merely make more of a mess of what just happened? I am reminded of how a man cannot look upon the same river twice....

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I've never assumed that if rebirth or reincarnation occur, that one is always reborn or reincarnated forward in time. In fact, I think quite the opposite may be true.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited March 2015
    I did notice one flaw in the whole supposition but not sure if it means a heck of a lot.

They say that it was discovered that the universe had a beginning. So they are assuming that the anomaly we refer to as the big bang is the only one of its kind because we cannot detect beyond it.

I think that if we could zoom out past the speck that was the big bang and come out the other side, we would eventually see more specks with distance between them. All of which expand.

Probably why I find the Mandelbrot set so fascinating.

I still don't think we can unbreak an egg but I do think the known universe is just a branch of the tree.

Or even a vein in a leaf of a branch of the tree.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It's basically the arrow of time and entropy. And that's all I have to say about that. ;)

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

This is an interesting article: http://www.big-bang-theory.com/

But this sounds like an interesting group. Go down and read their "About Us" section.

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

@genkaku, That's good stuff; the philosopher in me thanks you for that bit of cosmology in the morning :-) Of course, science can't answer your question just yet, but the good folks at CERN hope to in the furture.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    The funny thing about entropy is that although it can be witnessed in pretty much every aspect of the system, the universe itself shows no signs of it. In fact, things just keep going faster.

Heat death theories don't seem to take quasars into account which themselves have been theorized to be the opposite of black holes.

It's been a while though. May have to brush up on the subject.
  • I have very limited understanding of cosmology and physics, but I know that space and time can't be separated from each other and the Universe is (probably) expanding. So we cannot move backwards in the spacetime. Maybe my simple conclusion is false... Time travelling may be theoretically possible but we don't have (will never have) such technology. But it's possible to look to the past when we are looking stars.

(In fact, an extraordinary moving in spacetime IS possible. I have some personal experience...)

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

I wonder, do we suffer basically because we have a deep-seated hatred of entropy? Sickness, old age, death--just disorder manifesting itself in human life. If so, then perhaps a Buddha is one who has developed empathy for entropy. :wink: ink:

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited March 2015

by woody guthrie...

Why can't a dish break a hammer?
    Why oh why oh why?!
    'Cause a hammer's a hard head.
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye.

Why, oh why, oh why oh, why?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    Because because because because
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye

Why can't a bird eat an elephant?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    'Cause an elephant's got a pretty hard skin.
    Goodby goodbye goodbye.

Why can't a mouse eat a streetcar?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    'Cause a mouse's stomach could never get big enough to hold a streetcar.
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye.

Why does a horn make music?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    Because the horn-blower blows it.
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye

Why does a cow drink water?
    Tell me why n why?
    Because the cow gets thirsty just like you or me or anybody else.
    Goodye goodbye goodbye.

Why don't you answer my questions?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    'Cause I don't know the answers.
    Goodby goodbye goodbye.

What make the landlord take money?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    I don't know that one myself.
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye.

Why's there no pennies for ice cream
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    You put all the pennies in the telephone.
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye.

Why can't a rabbit chase an eagle?
    Tell me why, oh why?
    'Cause the last rabbit that took out and chased after an eagle didn't come
    out so good and that's why rabbits don't chase after eagles that's all I
    know about rabbits and eagles?
    Because because because.

Why ain't my grandpa my grandma?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    Same reason your dad's not your mommy.
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye.

Why couldn't the wind blow backwards?
    Why, oh why, oh why?
    'Cause it might backfire and hurt somebody and if it
    hurt somebody it'd keep on hurting them
    Goodbye goodbye goodbye.

Read more: Woody Guthrie - Why, Oh Why Lyrics | MetroLyrics

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited March 2015

The philosophy of ideas ARE subject to entropy - once an idea is posited - it's posited, it just is, and moves in the way it does, and the form it takes can be viewed as secular or religious; cool or boreing, but always it moves towards a centre-point...

The definition of entropy is basically that thermal energy (lets call it karma to stir things up a bit) is converted into mechanical energy, and vice versa; and as energy is conserved and things just keep going in one direction unless someone tries to change it... Newton had a very good understanding of the world; Einstein and modern scienctist have complicated it beyond belief...

IDEAS are stated in a specific state of reference which is comprehensible to the self-conscious awareness and if they ascilate (yes I mean ascilate which is just a stoopid idealogical way that we represent things, rather than oscillate as they really do) they can't be comprehended properly. So whilst space can be reversible and understandable (back and forth; up and down; left and right), time has to relate to some point so we can have referential perspective, the O in order, the 0 in an x-y axis, else what kind of world would we find ourselves in - there must be at least 11 rules to be self-conscious ;-)

A truly academic/scientific mind will not comprehend the above gibbledigoop...

A truly religious mind will just roll it's eyes and know it's just gobbledigoop...

But who has time to read this crap anyway....

...\lol/...

• Here's a diagram of the Universe where time is one dimension. I tend to think like I'm driving a car from west to east and I can't go into the opposite direction at the same time. But time stops if I can drive the speed of light.

It would be nice to become a light even a short moment because that moment would be an eternity. There would be no past and future, only this moment without time. Perhaps it would feel like becoming one with the whole Universe?

• The word Pöljä is an opposite to Bright. My tiny candle doesn't light much so I stumble into the grave.

@Pöljä said:
    Here's a diagram of the Universe where time is one dimension.

There's something similar in one of Brian Greene's books ( The Elegant Universe? ) where he represents space-time like a sliced loaf, with each slice represent successive time periods. Some argue that these slices remain permanently in place but they are fixed and cannot be altered, making time travel backwards impossible.

• So every slice live forever? Is it possible to experience the eternity in the slice of time? To "become a light" was my stupid association/metaphor to stop one's time.

@Pöljä said: > So every slice live forever? Is it possible to experience the eternity in the slice of time? To "become a light" was my stupid association/metaphor to stop one's time.

You could view every second as a very thin slice, those slices extend back to the big bang and are perfectly preserved. So the past is preserved but fixed, which means you couldn't travel back in time and alter something. Obviously this assumes time as linear, I've heard of another theory where time is circular, there are all sorts of theories out there.

• I just watched Brian Greene's Youtube video about time. Oh, I see... Entropy caused by space-time and expanding Universe. But in a way I was totally wrong when I wrote that you can't go backwards in time because of space-time and expanding Universe? Btw, I have had a red cat quite similar to Greene's cat :)

Yes, there are all sorts of interesting theories, like multiversums and living in the Matrix.

• Time direction . . . m m m . . . My brain hurts!

even with diagrams.... No go. Brain feels like slop....

• So according to the string theory (M-theory) there are up to 11 dimensions in the Universe. A flatlander can't live in our world of four dimensions, and she/he/it can't even fully understand it? In the fifth dimension it's possible to go back in time, but it's impossible in our four dimensional reality? Is it necessary to understand or learn to experience different realities like eternity?

I doubt it very much. I'm having enough on my plate being Mindful, let alone needing to digest this little lot...!

@Polja;

Dimensions are more like coordinates within the world and not separate worlds that exist alongside each other.

Kind of like how dogs can perceive some frequencies that we cannot, right now, we only percieve 4 dimensional space even as there may be other dimensions besides height, width, depth and time.
  • Eyes of a flatlander can't see this world in three dimensions. Like Christopher Nolan could't film the tesseract in Interstellar. And I can't hear high voices like cats. And I can't see the UV light like many other animals can see.

Don't know about dogs but I lived almost 20 years with cats. They spent a lot of their time lying eyes semi-open but still very aware of their surroundings.

@Pöljä said:> So according to the string theory (M-theory) there are up to 11 dimensions in the Universe. A flatlander can't live in our world of four dimensions, and she/he/it can't even fully understand it?

The extra dimensions are theorised at sub-atomic level, so it's not something which would effect our everyday world.

• Mmm, we people are made of atoms which are made of subatomic particles. For some scientists quantum physics give solid proofs of the existence of multiverse. It goes far over the subatomic level and our everyday world. But the other levels like other worlds are there unavailable of our senses. Again, cosmology and physics are not my branch...

edited March 2015

@Pöljä said:
    Eyes of a flatlander can't see this world in three dimensions. Like Christopher Nolan could't film the tesseract in Interstellar. And I can't hear high voices like cats. And I can't see the UV light like many other animals can see.

Ok, sorry, it sounded almost like you were saying different dimensions exist as different planes of existence instead of different points of reference for things that exist.

Of course the notion of there being a "flatlander" is just a notion. Even if they cannot detect enough of us to know we are here, we would have detected them by now.

Mmm, we people are made of atoms which are made of subatomic particles. For some scientists quantum physics give solid proofs of the existence of multiverse. It goes far over the subatomic level and our everyday world. But the other levels like other worlds are there unavailable of our senses. Again, cosmology and physics are not my branch...

If there are other universes then we would have to call them something else and update our understanding of the universe. Even if there is a multiverse, it is a multiversal-style universe... There cannot be more than one "everything that has ever or will ever exist, anywhere".

Say for example we discover that the big bang is one of an infinite amount of big bangs expanding as we live and breathe. That doesn't mean there is an infinite amount of universes. It means that the big bang is just another function of the universe and not the beginning of the universe.

Alternate versions of our timeline from our big bang (alternate universes) is a whole other matter and can of worms.

Oh, by the way, I'm not trying to be a pest, I just enjoy this kind of stuff.

• I enjoy this kind of stuff, too. And I can't separate science from spirituality when building my worldview (v. 3.7).

You are right about universe vs. multiverse. They have found that there is a huge black hole in the centre of almost every big galaxy. Are those black holes powerful enough to create new worlds?

edited March 2015

@Pöljä said:
    Mmm, we people are made of atoms which are made of subatomic particles. For some scientists quantum physics give solid proofs of the existence of multiverse. It goes far over the subatomic level and our everyday world. But the other levels like other worlds are there unavailable of our senses. Again, cosmology and physics are not my branch...

I'm so sorry, this reminds me of a classic quotation/line from "Frazier" When he's in his studio at the radio Station, broadcasting his 'Psychotherapy On Air' Programme...

Frazier is responding to a man who has just, at some length, expounded his issue.
    Frazier replies:

"You know, Darren, at The London Research Institute, in London, England, there is the most amazing and incredible piece of scientific equipment. It is a mastery of modern technology. It’s called ‘The Tunnelling Electron Microscope’.

It is so powerful, that by firing electrons, you can actually see images of the Atom.
    You know, the infinitesimally-minute building blocks of the Universe...?

If I were using that microscope right now, I STILL wouldn’t be able to locate my interest in your problem.

• I commented this comment:

"The extra dimensions are theorised at sub-atomic level, so it's not something which would effect our everyday world."

I can't figure out what I did wrong.

You haven't done anything wrong....

The passage i quoted was merely one I remembered when the discussion about 'Atoms' came up.
    It wasn't intended to indicate anything wrong - I just found it funny.

• I'm not good in these games.

edited March 2015
    > @Pöljä said;

> I enjoy this kind of stuff, too. And I can't separate science from spirituality when building my worldview (v. 3.7).

> You are right about universe vs. multiverse. They have found that there is a huge black hole in the centre of almost every big galaxy. Are those black holes powerful enough to create new worlds?
    ------------------------------

Do a quick google search on quasars and white holes... You may find it enjoyable.

Wow, the quote feature here really comes and goes, eh?
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"
    "why does time always appear to run forwards and never backwards?""

• Time on the quantum level does observably run backwards in many situations involving quantum tunnelling. This is known for example in photosynthesis and smell. Particles arrive before they have left. Ludicrous as this sounds, that is what happens.

http://www.andersoninstitute.com/quantum-tunneling.html

Brain meltdown will now commence . . . 10, 9, 8 . . .

@lobster said:
    Time on the quantum level does observably run backwards in many situations involving quantum tunnelling. This is known for example in photosynthesis and smell. Particles arrive before they have left. Ludicrous as this sounds, that is what happens.

http://www.andersoninstitute.com/quantum-tunneling.html

Brain meltdown will now commence . . . 10, 9, 8 . . .

Have you ever seen your brain ? How do you know you have one?

• My brain hurts from thinking so it is there.

Quantum tunneling looks interesting. Photosynthesis requires photons which are subatomic particles. Besides, the information between entangled subatomic particles moves faster than light. It's theoretically possible to send messages faster than light by using gravity and gravitons.

• ThomBThomB Explorer

Actually I have seen pictures of my brain and know a guy who has touched it! Brain surgery 6 years ago for an unruptured aneurysm. I'm fine. Well mostly fine. Different but fine.

boobysattva

@ThomB said:
    Actually I have seen pictures of my brain and know a guy who has touched it! Brain surgery 6 years ago for an unruptured aneurysm. I'm fine. Well mostly fine. Different but fine.

Glad to hear that you made a successful recovery @ThomB...

We can only go by what others tell us (this includes pictures)...However it would be a fascinating experience to be on the outside looking in so to speak, instead of having to take other people's pictures and or word for it...

@Shoshin said:> Have you ever seen your brain ? How do you know you have one?

I have a can of worms.... ;)

@SpinyNorman said:
    I have a can of worms.... ;)

Whatever you do DON"T open it.... :)

• boobysattvaboobysattva Explorer
    edited March 2015

honestly i don't believe life goes forward but instead backward like entropy but there are exceptions. i believe our forefathers were sentient beings. i think deep within us we know our past lives, special knowledge of the universe was more common place. there were flying machines from outer space. and we designed our own devolution - for example we crave machines to do our thinking for us. a good cell phone gives us more joy than knowledge. one can reverse this in our own life though. it is very possible.

• I'm ecstatic that there is a new member named @boobysattva. welcome.

• Thank you @thegoldeneternity !