Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Muscular Buddhism!

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

Hi Sangha, are you tired of being a 98 pound weakling Buddhist "doormat", always getting sand kicked in your face by the theological tough guys on the beach? If so, I propose the creation of a new movement, Muscular Buddhism, to be modeled after the (apparently British) phenomenon of Muscular Christianity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscular_Christianity

It will feature football players (both US and UK) meditating midfield before games.

What do you think? :wink:

VictoriouslobsterHamsakaRowan1980

Comments

• Are there any doping rules in Muscular Buddhism? (I'm not suggesting to the d-word.)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, it pays to be quite intellectual... ( a 'dope' is also a somewhat dim-witted person....)

Hamsaka
  • So, animal proteins are accepted to get more physical stamina and muscles? Dim-witted me...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

well, yes.... unless of course, you're vegetarian....

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

I actually thought Muscular Christianity was a joke when I first read about it. Unlike my own suggestion, which is of course perfectly serious. :wink:

• Of course, Muscular Buddhists always honour their competitors. No arrogance, and always a fair play.

They even lose graciously.... which can be infuriating, but we're like that.... :D

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

^^^^
    ... and they all do what mom said and eat their spinach.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@zenguitar said:> Hi Sangha, are you tired of being a 98 pound weakling Buddhist "doormat", always getting sand kicked in your face by the theological tough guys on the beach?

Pah! "Hasta la vista, theist!"

Rowan1980
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    Actually, I don't consider myself a weakling Buddhist doormat, nor get sand-kicked in the face very often, to start with...
  • The muscular Buddhists exist.

My first introduction to a practical dharma was through a martial art cult. We worked on the three aspects of mind, body and spirit, with body stances being described as 'koans'. Que?

Shaolin Temple are the extreme examples of monks who kick sand rather than sit on the beach . . . Other examples are the bad ass 'Tendai Marathon monks' . . .
    http://jamesclear.com/mental-toughness-marathon-monks

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2015

Someone tell me how muscular Buddhism is not an Dharmic oxymoron.
    You know...where the ox rides a moron.

Nothing to do with my back being out & a grumpy mood.

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • @how said:

Indeed =)
    Before carrying ox, tame it.

Must put down Ox . . . good plan . . . o:)
    http://www.buddhanet.net/oxherd1.htm

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@how said:

• zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

@lobster said:
    The muscular Buddhists exist.

My first introduction to a practical dharma was through a martial art cult. We worked on the three aspects of mind, body and spirit, with body stances being described as 'koans'. Que?

Shaolin Temple are the extreme examples of monks who kick sand rather than sit on the beach . . . Other examples are the bad ass 'Tendai Marathon monks' . . .
    http://jamesclear.com/mental-toughness-marathon-monks

Yes, I'm aware of them. I was thinking of something more along the lines of a huge mass movement though. With a yearly membership fee, payable in cash, check, or credit card to me. :lol:

lobster
  • As long as the muscles are to benefit all beings, being muscular is very Buddhist indeed.
    lobster
  • Buddha mussels - yum! o:)

Rowan1980
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Cannibal!

lobster