Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

what is your favourite sport?

2»

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

Never tried one - it's been a while.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I've always hated the idea of people shooting animals for sport, a horrible thing to do.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I've never shot an animal, fwiw...the younger of my two half-brothers was very sensitive and when either my other h-brother and/or dad shot some squirrels, he couldn't touch it. None of the men ever bagged a deer, either but our next-door neighbors were always bringing home deer (in season of course) and she cooked and shared venison with us often. And yeah, it was gamey.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I did ballet until I was sixteen and doing so bad at school due to the intense ballet routine, that my Mum pulled me out of Dance school.

Then along came yoga, though I don't consider it much of a sport.
    I could do yoga all day, I love it so much.

I also love walking, but only in cities.
    I am plunged in the countryside here and the greenery and the cows don't agree with me.
    I need smog and mackadam to set me walking.

And I LOOOOVE watching men doing Rugby.
    But you know that already... <3

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Ahhhh......Americans and guns.

I'll just neverunderstand that!

I do understand the fascination with guns and target shooting as a sport, it's the widespread ownership that worries me, particularly when people are buying assault rifles.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I LOVE swimming - but haven't been for far too long.... now I'm earning a little bit of pocket money, I might treat myself now and then to a visit to the local public swimming baths....

I find, with all this talk about handguns and weaponry, a malevolent scowl and a good whang round the head with a rolling pin probably works just as well.... Darned sight scarier too, I'll warrant....!

There's probably a law against rolling pins too, health and safety. ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You're covered if there are prominent notices ("Notice: these premises are patrolled by heavily aggressive women with PMT, wielding Industrial-sized rolling-pins") and they carry a Government Health Warning.

It's true.

Bunkslobster

I must confess that I shot guns as a teenager.

It was in the days in Australia where no permit was required and you could pretty much shoot any animals you wanted with no fear of fines etc. It is much more strict these days particularly since 1996 when Martin Bryant killed 30-odd people in Tasmania.

I can honestly say I don't think I actually ever hit any of the rabbits or birds I tried to kill! I was hopeless!

I have a very strong aversion to guns these days though. They just cause far too much pain and suffering in the world.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Tosh said:
    The Brecon to Cardiff Ultra:

I don't run for anything. Although I'd run through Cardiff after Capt Jack and Ianto.......... ;)

@Bunks said:
    Jeffrey. Jared Hayne doesn't play Australian football. He plays rugby league. A game invented by the English.

Two completely different sports mate.

League is for pussies. hides behind Bunks AFL is for real men, and Jared Hayne most certainly isn't.

@Bunks said:
    Shoshin - I understand you don't follow cricket which is probably why you asked such a silly question? ;)

I LOL'd so hard I swear I broke a rib :p

Bunks
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

Running solves everything!

Tosh
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I have been considering taking up light jogging, easy does it with my bad knee. Then today it was snowing and I slipped on ice I couldn't see and pulled something else in my good knee. Perhaps my body is laughing at me for considering jogging when I can't even walk...lol. Nothing serious, little sore, can walk fine. I miss running, but maybe it's not in the cards.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

@karasti , yes body and mind does not always cooporating, your body cant, but mind want :) will you manage to run/walk this half marathon you mentioned? Or do you knee say no?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We'll see, I might get a brace to help keep my kneecap in place, that might help. I should probably ask the guy who did my surgery what he thinks. There are limits to how long you can take to complete a race, so while I could walk 13 miles no problem, I probably can't do it in the limited time, lol. So I'd have to jog at least some of it. We'll see what happens, still hoping somehow!

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Tosh said: It can be very 'Buddhist' though. You have the pain, you have the resistance to the pain, and you have the wanting to 'run' away from the pain.

So what do you do when your leg hurts like hell and you want to keep going on? . Do you rest your mind on the beautifull sceneary and trying to forget it, or do you focus direct on the pain and hoping it will let go?

kokoro

I used to enjoy dinghy sailing, but not the competitive side. Originally I trained on Wayfarers, then for many years I sailed a Fireball with a friend, a fast boat and good fun.
    Later I sailed Lasers, single-hander, again fast but quite difficult to handle.
    I always preferred sailing in a strong wind, more fun but also less technical than sailing in light wind.
    I've crewed on some larger boats, but didn't enjoy that so much.

• Run or bike? m m m m . . . decisions, decisions . . .

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited March 2015

@Namada said:
    Tosh said: It can be very 'Buddhist' though. You have the pain, you have the resistance to the pain, and you have the wanting to 'run' away from the pain.

So what do you do when your leg hurts like hell and you want to keep going on? . Do you rest your mind on the beautifull sceneary and trying to forget it, or do you focus direct on the pain and hoping it will let go?

It depends. Sometimes I try to get really present and just feel what I'm feeling. Sometimes I try to focus on the brief moment where both my legs are relaxed; kind of mid-stride. And sometimes I just try to be aware of my surroundings. I'll sometimes imagine myself as being conscious awareness, just moving through the landscape. I'm talking about doing this for a few seconds at a time, before my mind runs off somewhere else.

Other times I distract myself with stories running through my head (being totally not present), and often I just struggle with not wanting to be where I'm at.

And then I try to get present again.

Repeat.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2015

Running and meditation at the same time, explained by Mioham Rinpoche, go try it out, get fit and wise at the same time :)

He says its important to be completely in the now while running, and not think about how long distance you have left. Then you will feel tired very fast.

BunksTosh
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

My favorite sport is hunting for cheese puffs. This nurse I work with keeps bringing them to work and giving me my own baggie FULL of them! And then of course I'm thirsty and she wants me to have one of her ice cold Dr Peppers. So I hunt cheese puffs and chase them with Dr Pepper.

I just joined a forum for debating, where the posts have to be (reasonably) structured and follow the guidelines of debate. Is that a sport?

Hiking; now that's a sport I really got into. The way your body/mind sort of loses it's duality when a certain level of pleasant fatigue kicks in.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

Low-limit poker just for fun. I'm better than an average player, but stubborness is my weakness. It may be so hard to give up, although I know the opponent has a better hand, like KK vs. AA.

My husband loves poker. He belongs to a local group, who all put a couple of quid into a kitty at the beginning of the evening... They play with chips, but the evening's winner, gets the kitty everyone has paid into... good way of playing for the money, but not risking losing the house/car/wife&kids!

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

My eldest son is a semiprofessional trainer in athletics. The second eldest son stopped his studies of the English philology in the university because of poker (and the lastborn is the autistic one). He has spent long periods in Las Vegas, and has been quite successful there. He's a rational and sound young man, which is a necessity in the "Sin City". But he can't get a new visa to the states anymore after being so long time there. (That's good from my point of view...)

Low-limit poker is for fun, too! You have to concentrate really well and always to honour your opponents. Underestimation of the others and arrogance are bad mistakes. And the game is not for those who can't stand bad luck and losing!

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Lawn Tennis.

• BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    edited March 2015

I was a dragonboater for ten years and just loved it.

lobster
    Did you watch the cricket last night @Shoshin? The Kiwis are poised to fly across the ditch and take the World Cup I feel! Strong team
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks
    I watched the news sports highlights, other wise I don't really follow it, but one of my work colleagues, she a real avid fan of cricket,(I would go so far as to call her a fanatic :D ) I'm sure she was there yesterday watching it...Even at times when she's on duty at work you can hear her little radio going keeping up to date with the scores...

I guess the better team on the day will win :)

Bunks