Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Super Ego and Buddhism

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
edited March 2015 in Philosophy
This discussion was created from comments split from: Super Ego, Ego and ID connects to Buddhism?.

the thread was 4 years old. Any threads over 12 months of age with no responses are considered 'closed'.

Comments

• Not really. Neither of this is consciousness.

Superego is rather conscience, meaning this are the "rules". But those are not healthy rules. Those are the rules by which we judge ourselves and therefore produce Guilt. The more guilt you have, the more you judge yourself. Superego gets very hard (harsh) when you have certain mental conditions. It is connected with the anger being turned inwards, but I won't go into that.

Ego IS and ISN'T our reality. Ego is basicly the mechanism which regulate what you intake, so that you output it, too. So that the energy (emotions) don't get stiffed up inside. Weaker egos handle it worse and a lot of emotions stay repressed, while good egos hadle it better and they get expressed at the one. But with expressing it at the right person, there must be of course not so harsh superego there. And also, it is not always healthy to "fight back", because you are already involved in your own emotions. But it is a good thing to be angry for the (kind of) right reasons when you are a child ... in that peroid this is a very important thing to be capable of. But reasoning must be then added up to this and common sense must prevail. I remember arguing with my ex ... you felt the best when you expressed your anger, plus the solution was lying in findind the middle way between me and my girlfriend. Only then it was a great feeling - emotions were expressed, but also we saw each part of irrationality of that emotions and therefore being able to see our faults and in the end, it is greatest feeling of finding the solution and being able to enjoy further involvments ...

Ego is our made up persona. It invloves thousand of ideas. It is there to help us, to defend us with what we are not able to comperhand (yet), because it would be too painfull to feel. The solution IS to feel, but ego with its defenses is trying to help without giving up just like that, so starting to see the truth without lying to ourselves is a very steady, long proccess. That's why long term therapy IS the only solution, and that's why it is called LONG term therapy.

Ego is what we "think" we are basicly. What is left is a good question to ask, then. I guess the ability to listen to the others(?) ...

The ID consist of our primal sexual impulses, plus I think creativity, too. Creativity could also be put in the "consciousness" part, but not really ... consciousness is about being aware - it's the main tool to getting "enlighted", while creativity steams from sexual and survival impulses.

I know this is old but I had the feeling I'm able to contribute to this.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

@onko27 said:
    The ID consist of our primal sexual impulses, plus I think creativity, too. Creativity could also be put in the "consciousness" part, but not really ... consciousness is about being aware - it's the main tool to getting "enlighted", while creativity steams from sexual and survival impulses.

I see the ID and creativity to represent the edges of the humanity. There is no other animal species that has such a creativity like we humans. God, sin, shame... All of them are creations of our creative thinking. For me, the enlighted mind would be pure of such burdens, just the crystal clear consciousness.