Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Where is everyone from?

someone from another conversation posted that they are the only Buddhist in their location, so I figure if you I create a post asking where is everyone from, we can meet fellow Buddhist from our community :)

dantepw

Comments

• NichyNichy Explorer

I'm in Tampa, FL USA :)

• dantepwdantepw Veteran
    edited March 2015
    Awh that is so kind of you!! :) thank you!! <3
    NichyEarthninja
  • São Paulo - Brazil!
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@dantepw just trying to help a fellow Buddhist :)

dantepw
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

I am from India - but wait a minute - you asked about Buddhist - oops - not a Buddhist sorry, but a Hindu - but can try to help, if someone needs some help. :)

dantepwEarthninja
  • NichyNichy Explorer

that's find, Hindu are welcome as well :)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

In the sticks, far northeast Minnesota (USA). But I can say, despite living in a very conservative, Christian community, I am not the only Buddhist in my town :) Though I think maybe the only one here.

Whoever it is who is all on their own, if you have a community bulletin board, an organic foods store, a yoga class...anything remotely like that, you will find like minded people even if they may not be Buddhist. They tend to congregate in like-areas...but you might never see them if you don't look.

EarthninjaNichy
  • Land of vampires, Romania. :awesome:
    EarthninjalobsterKundoBuddhadragon
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@tibellus just finished seeing the new Dracula movie about a week ago.. I find it very interesting, is there a true regarding the storyline about Romanian joining the Persian army?

• Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Central Vermont, USA

• NichyNichy Explorer

@Will_Baker awesome!!! I grew up in boston, a fellow new Englander :)

• @Nichy yes, if you are talking about the janissaries. But that movie gets a lot of things wrong on the "real side" of the story. :smile: They were boys taken from countries that were conquered or paying tribute to the Ottoman Empire. As far as I know from history, every such country had to provide a number of boys once in a while. The janissaries were an elite corps that was somewhere between slaves and freemen: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Vancouver Canada
    Maybe because it has been a bit of an Asian gateway to North America or maybe because it's climate is relatively mild but
    it seems to have teachers & groups representing just about every Buddhist school I can think of, and often with multiple duplications through different lineages.

Nichydantepw
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@tibellus interesting and thank you for the link. what's the "real side" of the story?

• Well, that depends on which side of the story one's ancestors were. I don't know a lot about the subject and I don't want to upset anyone by saying something wrong. But no matter what, this battle never happened, there was no fight to save the young boys from becoming janissaries. One of the things that I can mention and won't upset any of the sides is the fact that that the Romanian countries back then were Orthodox Christians, and if I remember well, the monks from the movie were of a Catholic denomination.
  • NichyNichy Explorer

oh ok, thank you for sharing @tibellus :)

• @Nichy thank you too. :smile: And just to see how different the views about Vlad the Impaler were (and are), you can have a look over these two articles about the movie:

https://aelarsen.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/dracula-untold-dont-go-see-this-movie/

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/10/what-historical-inaccuracies-dracula-untold-tell-us-about-rise-islamophobia

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited March 2015

The eastern church (The Orthodoxy), the western church (The Catholics), and the Islamic Ottomanic empire have caused guite a lot mess in the south-east Europe that we shouldn't ignore. It's no good to stick into the past, but we have to learn about the past mistakes.

tibellus
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited March 2015

Look right there .... ^ ..... above the edit time ..... :mrgreen:

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I live just outside Melbourne in Australia. Lots of different buddhist centres in this part of the world.......

Nichy
  • I live in a town in Northern Finland that is somewhat bigger than Oxford in England. Got interested in Buddhism in the 80's. Some TM courses those days, but I never took part on them, although I was really interested. Still no "real" Buddhist activity around here.

Nichy
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited March 2015

Northampton, Massachusetts, USA and there is Buddhist activity in this neck of the woods.

(I once saw a map that documented Buddhist populations in the U.S. The majority of self-professed Buddhists were on the east and west coasts. There were a couple of hot spots in the middle of the country, but otherwise forgetaboutit. I suspect this is one of the reasons the high-profile, high-pay teachers seldom visit small centers and small centers tend to wither.)

PS. All that talk about Dracula made me realize I wouldn't say no to a set of canines to go with the Buddhist get-up. :)

VastmindNichytibellus
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Just a smidge south of Toronto.

Eh
    Nichy
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    I live near Perth, West Australia.

It's so great how so many different countries come together.

Namaste all
    Nichydantepw
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

It's so great how so many different countries come together.

As a computer doofus, one of the most wonderful Internet functions I ever saw and used was a function on e-sangha, a Buddhist site now hacked and deceased. There was a chat room in which people could talk/write to each other in real time. It used to blow my mind that I could be in a chat room with participants from Finland, Australia, Germany, England, Sumatra, India, Ukraine and wherever all else ... all at the same time.

Nichy
  • kokorokokoro Explorer

@Bunks said:
    I live just outside Melbourne in Australia. Lots of different buddhist centres in this part of the world.......

I'm originally from Geelong, where are you situated?
    I'm currently in Hobart, Tasmania, not planning on going anywhere for a while!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@genkaku said:
    As a computer doofus, one of the most wonderful Internet functions I ever saw and used was a function on e-sangha, a Buddhist site now hacked and deceased. There was a chat room in which people could talk/write to each other in real time. It used to blow my mind that I could be in a chat room with participants from Finland, Australia, Germany, England, Sumatra, India, Ukraine and wherever all else ... all at the same time.

The only good thing about e-sangha that went down with the ship.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

@genkaku there is maybe a buddhist forum at mIRC or at Hexchat same as IRC just for free...
    You can speak in real time with people..would be fun to make one channel for newbuddhist.com ;)

• NichyNichy Explorer

@namada that would be great, if we have a chat here...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2015

I think this is a topic that has arisen before, and as I recall it's not something @Linc can either actually do, or feels necessary to set up.
    I don't want to put words in his mouth though, so I may be remembering incorrectly.

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited April 2015

It would be more "action" with a live chat community :) Its very easy to make one channel at for example Hexchat, everybody can come in and join and its free :) Actually there are one channel there already made for dhamma talkers...but with few members

Or you can make a chat room direct at this site, but then its more work for @Linc

• NichyNichy Explorer

we can have Chat event... like a meet and chat once a month lol

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@kokoro said:
    I'm currently in Hobart, Tasmania, not planning on going anywhere for a while!

Hi @kokoro. I live in Lara (just the Melbourne side of Geelong).

I love Tasmania! I'd happily live there except the industry I work in is pretty much just based in the major cities. Not much opportunity in Tassie.

Eliz
  • ElizEliz Arizona, USA Explorer

I live in Arizona, USA. Hello to everyone! :)

Bunks
  • @Earthninja you live close to Buddhist Society WA!!!! <3

Bunks
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> The only good thing about e-sangha that went down with the ship.

No, it was a great forum, and it spawned many of the contemporary forums.

• JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

Fuerteventura, Canary Islands. I'm pretty much alone here !

NichyBunks
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@JohnMac welcome to the group... :)

• My hometown, pic I took recently :)

KundoNichy
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Sydney, Australia - home of the best AFL team in the country (sorry @Bunks :P )

NichyBunks
  • NamadaNamada Veteran

Land of the vikings Norway

NichyKundo
  • San Francisco.
    Nichy
  • Manchester, UK. We have a few Buddhist centres here so I've met quite a few local Buddhists :)

Nichy
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I am from Buenos Aires, Argentina, the land of the end of the world.
    There are many Buddhist centres here.
    But I live in Basel, Switzerland, also with a wide range of Buddhist centres available...

Nichy
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Just in case, for those who think that Argentina is a tropical jungle -if I were paid a cent for every European who thinks I am a monkey from Amazonia- the picture is from Patagonia, Argentina, not from Switzerland =)

Nichy
  • kokorokokoro Explorer

@Bunks said:

Ahh, I know Lara quite well, I used to teach karate at the local school there a few years ago, handy to both Geelong and Melbourne!

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Namada said:
    Land of the vikings Norway

Awesome. I have family in Oslo and Kristianasund :+1: