Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are we supposed to do from Zen perspective?

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited April 2015 in General Banter

hi all,

i was trying to understand that as per Zen, what should we do in our lives?

the confusion is because Zen teaches that ultimately we cannot understand it, but only experience the (whatever you put here - truth, ultimate reality etc) - and then do not hold onto that experience even.

so are we supposed to just sit in zazen all the time - or are we supposed to act like zombies or robots who do not have any brain? as any how the brain is not going to be used - as understanding, thinking all these logical stuff will add to our confusion.

now somebody will say that while doing the activity, just do the activity. So if suppose i am sitting (not zazen, but sitting like in a park or after lunch), then what should i do - just sit and what to do with the mind - not try to make it blank, so then should we just open our 5 senses to just experience whatever is going on currently around us, without trying to analyze this experience - if this is, then how to do it because the mind tries to analyze the seeing which is happening, checking if we are in here and now, and also trying to be aware of the body and its sensations, try to be with body and in all these, there is thinking going on, which would make us not totally aware in the here and now.

if the answer to above is develop calm through zazen first, then is it not a catch 22 or a deadlock situation? because till the calm is not developed in zazen, our minds will be getting entangled in sense-objects through out the day and due to our minds getting entangled in sense-objects through out the day, no calm develops in zazen. in addition, due to limited time for zazen, the whole time usually goes by with the mind getting entangled in thoughts and with correcting the body posture through-out the whole sitting duration.

so what to do? any suggestions, please. thanks in advance.

Jeffrey

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited April 2015

Isn't there a Zen expression which goes "Chop wood, carry water, get enlightened, then chop wood and carry water"?

One thing that I find attractive about Zen is that their priests can get married and have children 'n' stuff, so I guess that means they engage in all the normal day to day stuff that we're expected to engage in (friendship, sharing, practising patience, tolerance, etc).

Cinorjerlobster
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran

@Cinorjer: Agreed sir, with what you have written above. But something inside me says then what is the difference between me and another person, who is not in direct contact with spirituality (i am saying spirituality because i want to generalize it, as whichever religion we belong, there can broadly be classified two streams - materialistic view and spiritual view) - so what difference remains between a materialistic person and a spiritual person - both try to do the work at hand in an attentive way - a materialistic person would be doing it more seriously, as he has to achieve his goal - but may be here might come the difference as the spiritual person might be doing it in a relaxed manner where as the materialistic person might be feeling the pressure of having to achieve the goal.

But what about the spiritual effect? How does it come about - meaning see the defilements inside us are there and in just doing our activities, we are not working on things which reduce our defilements - then how will the defilements in our mind get reduced and finally eliminated?

• ToshTosh Veteran

@genkaku said:If you want to be in control and wise ... well, get a dog.

Love it; nicked for use in A.A.. I think it's beautifully apt for people like me. O.o

• @misecmisc1 said:
    hi all,

i was trying to understand that as per Zen, what should we do in our lives?

Carry water, chop wood, sit Zazen...

repeat.

Cinorjermisecmisc1
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Cinorjer said:So mindfulness is obviously not enough. Zen Buddhism takes that mindfulness and then asks, what is it being mindful? What is this mind?

So what is the approach with this second stage? I guess koans, but any other tools in the box?

edited April 2015

@genkaku : thanks for your reply. you have written pretty much clarifying stuff for me.

@Cinorjer : hmm.. thank you.. some doubts in process of getting clarified.

i heard a dhamma talk by a Zen monk over Dogen's Fukanzazengi. Let me tell what I got from it about how to do zazen, so that you all may tell if i understood something incorrectly or if i am missing something:

In this text, Dogen after specifying the physical posture like spine straight, ears parallel to shoulders, nose in line with navel, eyes half open at 45 degrees with not focussing it rather gentle gaze - after this the only instruction is think not thinking - how do you think not-thinking - the answer is non-thinking. so when a thought arises in the mind, just go back to the posture and breath - nothing else is needed to be done.

So my understanding of how to do zazen is this - basically after maintaining the straight spine sitting posture, nothing is done but if a thought arises, then we go back to the posture of the body and just be with whatever comes next - if a breath is coming or going, see it - if some tension is felt on the face near eyes, then relax that tension.

Is my above understanding of how to do zazen ok or am i missing something here?

Moreover, in zazen do we need to focus on breath or we just try to be aware of our body posture or we just be aware of whatever is occurring? In other words, while sitting in zazen, where should we focus?

Also i usually find keeping my eyes open or even half-open at 45 degrees quite distracting and i find closing my eyes more easy - so is it mandatory to keep the eyes open at 45 degrees and having the gaze gentle?

Please suggest. Thanks in advance.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2015

At the Zen monastery I attend...we are told to sit down. Of course, if you sit too hunched over, it can hurt your back, and cause other physical problems, but a strict way to sit is not enforced, we are merely educated on why sitting 'better' is better for your body. AFA your mind/thoughts/brain, etc... Whatever happens while sitting....happens. When you feel like jumping up and/or getting frustrated...stay still. stay there. What this process means for people and how/what they do with it is a different story for different people. Do Christians put this much emphasis on correct praying? No. Do it, then do what you will with the information you obtained while praying. Some days are full of information/letting go...some days, your doing it just to be doing it. But doing it nonetheless.

I agree that Zen is not as complicated as people make it out to be...whats hard about it is...no one will figure it out for you...or give you the answers...it's all on you, kid. No one can do it for you. Most people like their hand held...or spoon feed..or helped along...which can work in the short run...but it's only you who can finish the race/die. This is experience. How would you tell someone what a orange tastes like? They would never 'know' unless they experienced it for themselves.

BTW...we also do walking meditation....so the rules on how to sit are out the window. What do you do then?

Cinorjer
  • @SpinyNorman said: So what is the approach with this second stage? I guess koans, but any other tools in the box?

Meditation, of course. Studying the sutras. Reading the words and stories of the old Masters. Listen to the words of today's Masters and Teachers. Getting out there and putting your practice into action, and then picking yourself up off the ground when you fail. The usual. Sometime later, you'll look back and realized you've managed to live a pretty good life, all things considered, helped a few people along the way, and maybe learned a thing or two. You've been a Buddha all along and never noticed it.

@misecmisc1 I gave up on formal zazen posture when my knees decided they'd had enough. Formal zazen is sitting at attention. It's not supposed to be relaxing or even particularly conductive to meditation. Zazen springs from the military boot camp approach to Zen of the Japanese temples. If you can do it, I'm happy for you. Most Westerners I've known struggle even after years of agony. We haven't been sitting on a wooden floor instead of chairs all our lives. So if you're in a zazen hall, do whatever it takes to keep the Teacher with the stick happy. Otherwise, you know the basics. Straight back, legs folded as much as the knees will let you, hands on lap, droopy eyelids but usually not closed. Deep breath and let it out slow, and relax. Now meditate the heck out of the fifteen minutes or so you choose to sit and do it.

Vastmindmisecmisc1Jeffrey
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2015

@misecmisc1

It is not to think...not thinking.... but rather is about just sitting with no deliberate thought that **is **the important aspect of thought within Zazen

This is actually no different than not deliberately trying to see something in meditation or hear something in particular as it is with tasting/ smelling or feeling.

This is about allowing all of your sense gates to freely operate, where our identity construct would otherwise be micromanaging it all towards it"s own agenda.

Try it next time you find yourself on a park bench. The focus is simply on allowing all that sense data an uncorrupted passage past our habit of trying to control it all.

Much of Zen is not focusing on one sense gate to the exclusion of the others.
    If the operation of your sight sense gate (eyes open) means that you are finding that distracting, that is just pointing out how you are presently allowing that particular sense gate to dominate over all the others.

Somewhere you are giving this particular sense gate a directive to do that. Zazen with your eyes open (and a little acceptance that Zazen has nothing to do with what is easy) will eventually allow you to find out why & how you are actually giving it that directive..

misecmisc1tibellus
    edited April 2015

@how said:> This is about allowing all of your sense gates to freely operate, where our identity construct would otherwise be micromanaging it all towards it"s own agenda.

I'm not clear about the distinction you're making here. If we're sitting on a park bench for example and we notice somebody attractive walking past and follow them with our eyes - is that allowing our senses to operate freely, or is it micromanaging based on our personal agenda?

Vastmind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2015

@misecmisc1 -- My training began with what others refer to scoffingly as the "boot camp" approach to Zen practice. I was a remain knock-kneed, so sitting cross-legged or in lotus was far from the pain-free adventure I might have hoped for. Years later, a teacher and monastery abbot would tell me that "for the first 17 years, my legs hurt a lot." And if legs pain were the worst of it, we'd all be in clover.

So ... is pedal-to-the-metal, masochistic practice required? Maybe or maybe not. I couldn't say. I could say, however, that at some juncture addressing the pain that life serves up is an important part of the practice. No more soft-soaping! Right into hell! If everything is easy, what will anyone do when things get hard? On the other hand, the old saying is true: "The hard stuff is easy. It's the easy stuff that is hard."

For starting purposes***, I think Dogen's shikantaza is a pretty tough nut and counting exhalations from one to ten and beginning again is more sensible. Counting offers a (non-existent) hand-hold and leads without any prompting into shikantaza or so-called "just sitting." No, it doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen. Whether it works the other way as well, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Eyes open will keep you awake and build strength. But the universe won't collapse if you ignore this or any other suggestion.

All this is just a bit of thinking out loud.

*** And if by chance you ever learn to count exhalations perfectly, your training will be complete and you can chuck all this Buddhist nonsense. :)

lobsterCinorjermisecmisc1
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran

I think — but this is just a lousy practicioner opinion — that all the practices and techniques in Zen are meant for you to understand that there is nothing you can do.

Cinorjer
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

See something appealing, see something that's not ..senses freely operating.
    Directing your sight to follow one and not the other and that's micromanaging.
    Zazen is about noticing all that we experience..As far as sight goes... What we see **and **the how, when, why & where we are subject to what we see.

Perhaps this is a good place to ask what equanimity actually is?

Cinorjermisecmisc1
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@Rodrigo said:
    I think — but this is just a lousy practicioner opinion — that all the practices and techniques in Zen are meant for you to understand that there is nothing you can do.

That is just one perspective. There are others!

• @Rodrigo said:

But you have to do nothing with complete, unbroken, supreme effort. Don't forget that part.

Isn't Zen wonderful?

Rodrigolobstermisecmisc1

@how said:Zazen is about noticing all that we experience..As far as sight goes... What we see **and **the how, when, why & where we are subject to what we see.

So basically practising mindfulness then?

• @how said:
    Perhaps this is a good place to ask what equanimity actually is?

I would suggest it is balance or calm in imbalance. In other words we do focus, have tight spots, imbalances, life extremes and unbalanced life choices. Sometimes.

However as we move into calm, balance, less of the self grabbing and identifying, these very extremes tend to center and dissipate with increasing equanimity ... B)

That be the plan!

@lobster said:"That be the plan!"

You're sounding like a pirate now! But how would a lobster get a parrot to sit on his shoulder? ;)

Cinorjer
  • ^^^ A trick I learned from the Romans at Easter. Nails.

NB: No pirate talking fowls were fouled in arrrr email . . .

edited April 2015

I heard in a dhamma talk given by a Zen monk, the word intimate being used. In a commentary, the following lines were written:
    Among the myriad sounds, there is perceiving and there is understanding. In reality,
    there’s only whole body and mind intimacy. Hearing intimately is not like ordinary hearing. Ordinary hearing is done with the ear. In intimacy there is hearing with the eye and seeing with the ear. How do you hear with the eye and see with the ear? Let go of the ear, and the whole body and mind is nothing but the ear. Let go of the eye, and the whole universe is nothing but the eye.

So does this intimacy which is referred to above - does it occur at the end of many years of practice of zazen - or is it something, which we can feel even in start, though may be for a very very small duration?

Moreover, what does hearing intimately actually mean - does it mean that we try to hear carefully - or does it mean the hearing which is occurring say when our focus is not on hearing but on something else like our breathing or our posture or trying to feel in the here and now whatever is arising? If when we try to hear carefully, that is hearing intimately, then we are using our ear, so i think this should not be hearing intimately as per above definition. On the other hand, if our focus is not on hearing, but say on breathing, then i think we would not even hear properly the sounds which would be arising - so how can this be hearing intimately. So what is this thing - hearing intimately - is it something like the end result of the practice like nirvana, which cannot be explained and even cannot be done - in a way, making the above sentences in italics just become some zen talk, which do not have any meaning?

any thoughts here, please. thanks in advance.

edited April 2015

@misecmisc1 said:> I heard in a dhamma talk given by a Zen monk, the word intimate being used. In a commentary, the following lines were written: Among the myriad sounds, there is perceiving and there is understanding. In reality,there’s only whole body and mind intimacy. Hearing intimately is not like ordinary hearing. Ordinary hearing is done with the ear. In intimacy there is hearing with the eye and seeing with the ear. How do you hear with the eye and see with the ear? Let go of the ear, and the whole body and mind is nothing but the ear. Let go of the eye, and the whole universe is nothing but the eye.

Possibly this is pointing to the practice of mindfulness, paying close attention to the immediate experience of hearing ( whatever ). In an ideal world we could ask the monk to explain himself in plain English!

• @misecmisc1 said:
    I heard in a dhamma talk given by a Zen monk, the word intimate being used. In a commentary, the following lines were written:
    Among the myriad sounds, there is perceiving and there is understanding. In reality,
    there’s only whole body and mind intimacy. Hearing intimately is not like ordinary hearing. Ordinary hearing is done with the ear. In intimacy there is hearing with the eye and seeing with the ear. How do you hear with the eye and see with the ear? Let go of the ear, and the whole body and mind is nothing but the ear. Let go of the eye, and the whole universe is nothing but the eye.

So does this intimacy which is referred to above - does it occur at the end of many years of practice of zazen - or is it something, which we can feel even in start, though may be for a very very small duration?

Moreover, what does hearing intimately actually mean - does it mean that we try to hear carefully - or does it mean the hearing which is occurring say when our focus is not on hearing but on something else like our breathing or our posture or trying to feel in the here and now whatever is arising? If when we try to hear carefully, that is hearing intimately, then we are using our ear, so i think this should not be hearing intimately as per above definition. On the other hand, if our focus is not on hearing, but say on breathing, then i think we would not even hear properly the sounds which would be arising - so how can this be hearing intimately. So what is this thing - hearing intimately - is it something like the end result of the practice like nirvana, which cannot be explained and even cannot be done - in a way, making the above sentences in italics just become some zen talk, which do not have any meaning?

any thoughts here, please. thanks in advance.

Intimacy is an interesting word the monk is using. I like it. He is using that term instead of "connection" for a change in this little talk and that might be a more accurate description of what is meant. Connection is impersonal. You connect the dots. You connect a cable to the television. Intimate means a connection that is personal and affects you deeply. Intimacy means you've opened up and shared the experience. It's the difference between shaking hands with a stranger and hugging your mate.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2015

Bodhidharma's "outline of practice" addresses this I think. :)

Man enters the Way by many roads. But in summary we speak of not going beyond two kinds of cultivating. The first is entering by principle. The second is entering by practice.

That which is "entering by principle" designates awakening to the lineage by relying on the teaching with profound faith that holds the one true nature of beings is the same. However, as a traveler is actually concealed by the dusts of false conceptions and is unable to show completely, even so, if one renounces the false, returns to the true, firmly abides in contemplation of the walls--without self and without other, with the ordinary and the sacred one and the same--solidly abides in the immovable, and furthermore, does not depend on written teachings, then one immediately takes part in a deep accord with principle without having discriminations. Being peaceful in this way is non-doing (wuwei) and has the name of "entering by principle."

"Entering by practice" designates four practices, and of those remaining various practices, in all cases one enters within these [four]. What are the four classes? First, the practice of retribution for wrongs. Second, the practice of according with conditioned causes. Third, the practice of nothing to seek. Fourth, the practice of corresponding to Dharma. What can be said?

“The practice of retribution for wrongs” designates a person who is practicing cultivating the Way. If at the time of receiving suffering, we face ourselves and recall the words, “I’ve gone through past innumerable aeons (kalpas) abandoning the root and following the tips, existing in the various currents and waves, hating the many arising wrongs, and disregarding harms without limit. Now, although I'm without offenses, indeed my former misfortunes have ripened as the fruit of evil karma, and neither heavenly beings (devas) nor humans are actually able to see where they are given out. With a willing mind I willingly receive it, all without complaint of wrongs.” A Sutra says, “On running into suffering do not grieve," Because how can you use it? Because consciousness transcends it. At the time this is born in the mind you take part in agreement with principle. In their essence, wrongs are progress in the Way. Therefore I articulate the words, "the practice of retribution for wrongs”

Second, is that which is "the practice of according with conditioned causes." The multitude of beings are without self and are unified with the karma of the conditioned causes that turn them. Suffering and joy are received together, and in every case follow the conditioned causes of beings. If we are able to win the rewards of honor and rank in affairs, it is our previous left over causes that are perceived. Now in this manner the gains of our conditioned causes are exhausted, and there is no going back. What then do we have of happiness? While gain and loss follow conditioned causes, the mind is without increase or decrease. The winds of joy do not stir the deep smooth flowing in the Way. This is therefore the articulation of the words "the practice of according with conditioned causes."

Third, is that which is "the practice of nothing to seek." Worldly people, so long in confusion, desire attachments everywhere. It goes by the name of seeking. Someone who is wise awakens to the truth, and principle will then flip-flop with the customary. With the non-doing of the tranquil mind, forms follow the turns of fortune. The myriad existences are thus empty, and the resolve for nothing is joy. Virtuous merit and darkness always follow and chase each other. As long dwelling in the Three Realms is like a house on fire, having a body in all cases is suffering. Who gains peace accordingly? Completely reaching this point one therefore renounces the various existences and stops conceptualizations to have nothing to seek. The sutra says, "If there is seeking, everyone suffers. If there is no seeking, then joy." To discern and comprehend without seeking is a true act of the practice of the Way. Therefore the words, "the practice of nothing to seek."

Fourth, is that which is "the practice of corresponding to Dharma." The Dharma is the activity of seeing the principle of the purity of the nature. By this principle the multitude of characteristics are thus empty, without taint, without attachment, without this, and without that. The sutra says, “In the Dharma there is no multitude of beings, because it is free from the defilements of the multitude of beings. In the Dharma there is no existing self, because it is free from the defilements of a self." If those who are wise are able to have faith in and expound this principle, then they are necessarily corresponding to Dharma and practicing accordingly. In the essence of the Dharma there is no stinginess. By the almsgiving (dana) charity of the practice of body, life, and wealth the mind is without parsimony, and one escapes and releases the three-fold emptiness [of giver, gift, and receiver]. When one is not dependent and is not attached, and only acts to leave defilements, one corresponds to converting the multitude of beings yet does not grasp at appearances. This is practicing for oneself to repeatedly be able to benefit others, and likewise be able to dignify the Way of Enlightenment. Since [the Paramita of] Almsgiving (dana) is like this, the remaining Five [Paramitas] are likewise just so. For eliminating delusions, one cultivates and practices the Six Paramitas, yet nothing is practiced. This is doing "the practice of corresponding to Dharma."

The end of Great Master Dharma's "Four Practices and Contemplation"

Another translation here. :)http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/C - Zen/Ancestors/The Zen Teachings of Bodhidharma/The Zen Teachings of Bodhidharma/THE ZEN TEACHINGS OF BODHIDHARMA.htm

misecmisc1
  • I have struggled with very similar questions myself. A few times I even got angry and gave up on Zen for a while. But after mental dust settled I would feel that I simply did not know of anything better to guide me through this crazy life. And back to the cushion I would go.

One very important note, though. Zen was originally practiced by monks and a lot of writing out there targets monks, not us modern people with jobs and families. For that reason, a Sangha is of vital importance as seeing 21st century people practice and function in this environment gives invaluable perspective. I would never have stuck with Zen if I was doing it alone.

Good luck!
    misecmisc1Cinorjer

^^^^^^

My sense is that everyone, at one time or another, struggles with the question, "Am I out of my cotton-pickin' mind?!" That's the nature of any thorough-going investigation or practice. Going alone is not for sissies. A line in the Dhammapada observes, more or less, "And if you find no equal or better in this life/ Go alone./ Loneliness is preferable to the company of fools."

But who is the fool? I don't want to be taken as a fool. I haven't yet got the courage for that. And then, as @shadowleaver suggests, "after mental dust settled I would feel that I simply did not know of anything better to guide me through this crazy life. And back to the cushion I would go."

The welcome mat outside the door invites the fools, not the wise (wo)men.

misecmisc1silverCinorjerlobster
    edited April 2015

^^ few months back, i was searching for the teachings of the 6 patriachs of zen on google. i came across the above link too and even read it, but seems like i just read it, but not understood it. hmm.. zen seems too complicated by being too simple :)

edited April 2015

@shadowleaver said:
    One very important note, though. Zen was originally practiced by monks and a lot of writing out there targets monks, not us modern people with jobs and families. For that reason, a Sangha is of vital importance as seeing 21st century people practice and function in this environment gives invaluable perspective. I would never have stuck with Zen if I was doing it alone.

Good luck!

Bad luck for me then :( - my spiritual journey began more than 2 years ago through accident (not physical accident, but through a series of incidents) - anyways, i do not have time to search for a monastry or find a physical teacher for meditation instructions, nor is there any monastry near my work-place. so the only option for me seems to be is to do it alone, if it continues - this is a question. :(

Cinorjer
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    Bad luck for me then :( - my spiritual journey began more than 2 years ago through accident (not physical accident, but through a series of incidents) - anyways, i do not have time to search for a monastry or find a physical teacher for meditation instructions, nor is there any monastry near my work-place. so the only option for me seems to be is to do it alone, if it continues - this is a question. :(

I'm sure you'll do well on your own. I'm doing a fair job of it, if I do say so myself! <3

... the only option for me seems to be is to do it alone, if it continues - this is a question.

@misecmisc1 -- On a wild guess, I'd say that everyone -- and I do mean everyone -- is in the same predicament.

lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited April 2015

Just out of curiosity...Are you still a practicing Hindu?

@misemisc1

@misecmisc1 said:.. zen seems too complicated by being too simple :)

Or vice versa? ;)

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2015

For me I start with feeling of the body and letting go. Feel the tension or whatever is there. I often do a body scan but not always for a little while. Then I sit and note the breath. If I drift off into lala land I just return and feel the body and breath again. Every so often I touch into my heart qualities such as patience, joy, awareness, love that are in my heart automatically. I don't day dream about them I just remember that the meditation has something to do with my heart. My heart is the qualities of awakening. In the present. Spacious. Back to breath. Let go. Back to breath. Let go. If I am really distracted like obsessing over video game character designs I might count or if doing walking meditation go super slow so that speeding up notifies me of day dreaming.

Another thing I do is read something short before meditating. Like flip to a page of a book on teachings and read a paragraph or two. I never remember anything anyways and I don't analyze the teaching during the meditation but I hope it has some benefit for me I don't now?

lobstersilver
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@misecmisc1 said:
    ^^ few months back, i was searching for the teachings of the 6 patriachs of zen on google. i came across the above link too and even read it, but seems like i just read it, but not understood it. hmm.. zen seems too complicated by being too simple :)

I used to ask my teacher questions like these and he kept saying "zen is not about understanding things". LOL

zen seems too complicated by being too simple

I asked another teacher about the simplicity of zen once, he said "Yes, it's very simple, we make it complicated". LOL

misecmisc1
    edited April 2015

@Vastmind said:
    Just out of curiosity...Are you still a practicing Hindu?

misemisc1

i am a Hindu by religion. as far as practicing is concerned, i do not know whether i am even practicing or not practicing spirituality on a general level, leave about whether it is as per Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Christianity etc.

• @seeker242 said: I used to ask my teacher questions like these and he kept saying "zen is not about understanding things". LOL

Ah, the old Zen poetry jam. I remember it well.

"But Teacher, I don't understand!"
    "Zen is not about understanding things."
    "Then what are you trying to teach?"
    "Not a thing."
    "Then what am I here for?"
    "When you can answer that question, then you can teach me."

And so it goes.

misecmisc1shadowleaver

I'm sure it's all very profound, but I don't understand any of it.

lobsterCinorjerKenneth
  • ^^^ tee hee.

Zen, chan, Dhyana, Buddha raises flower (allegedly).

I remember Zen being described along with Tantra as a 'fire path'. A one lifetime to enlightenment. That really is because of the emphasis on meditation. You can not gain anything from meditating except experience. Eventually when you tire of experiences ...

Nothing.

A flower raises. <3

edited April 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    Struggle with koans and get hit by sticks... ;)

lol :) . Actually these days I am studying the 300 koans collection of Dogen. Somehow I am finding them interesting, even though most of them I do not understand, but the commentary given below each koan seems to help to clarify some of the things in the koan and the capping verse and notes provided for each koan seem insightful.

• @misecmisc1 said:
    i am a Hindu by religion. as far as practicing is concerned, i do not know whether i am even practicing or not practicing spirituality on a general level, leave about whether it is as per Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, Christianity etc.

:)
    You were brought up Hindu. I was brought up papist (Catholic Christian). Others may have Jewish or secular upbringing.

We are defined by in part where we place our attention. So you have a penchant for Zen but might benefit from a Hindu meditation teacher (Buddha used them) if these are more readily available.

I was in two of my favourite peaceful abodes today (a church and a museum) for you it might be a little used temple. The attachment to stylistic spirituality does eventually leave as we begin to find zen, spirituality, Krishna, YHWH, Christ etc everywhere ... :)

how

The attachment to stylistic spirituality does eventually leave as we begin to find zen, spirituality, Krishna, YHWH, Christ etc everywhere ...

... "everywhere" always stuck me as a bit uppity since it leaves out the unexamined terrain of "no where."

But that's just me.

lobsterCinorjer
  • GuiGui Veteran

relax

lobster

@lobster said:
    So you have a penchant for Zen but might benefit from a Hindu meditation teacher (Buddha used them) if these are more readily available.

well, i do not know about any Hindu meditation teacher either at my work-city. the only place i can search to find help is internet. nearly 2 years ago, i even struck spirituality through internet - kind of a weird thing, but for the last 2 years, i have searched for topics and got urls, pdfs on internet for teachings on Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism etc - the only book which i have bought till now is Shreemad Bhagwad Geeta - which i bought nearly 5 years ago, but did not read it until 2 years back when i read its full commentary on internet and after reading that, then i read the book :) . Had internet not been there, i would not have even struck spirituality.

Coming to Zen, i can say that somehow i like Zen a little-bit because of the approach it takes that it all comes down to each moment, which is complete in itself, so no path which leads to awakening, rather in each moment truth is facing us, the only question seems to be where are we. May be i am kind of lazy person, so finding in Zen that there is really nobody to achieve anything - kind of relaxes me a little bit - may be sometimes i give it as an excuse for having not sitted, moreover my sitting is not even meditation because of my mind getting entangled in thoughts easily and also due to my weak focus. Also since i am not in Zen monastry, so i am saving myself from getting the blows of sticks by Zen masters due to not doing zazen properly :tongue: . As far as koans are concerned, i am kind of liking it now a little-bit, because it gives my brain something to think about, though brain has not to be used to see through it - but the commentary and the notes of the koans kind of tells what the koan is trying to teach us - again since i am not in a Zen monastry, so there is no Zen master, who is asking me to answer the questions of the koans, so again I save myself from getting hit by the master due to answering stupidly to the questions of the koans :) .

@misecmisc1 -- I do hope you are doing a little meditation practice. Meditation has a way of dealing honestly with the confusions anyone might face. Go ahead and be confused. Go ahead and be of two minds about one discipline or another. Go ahead and read a hundred holy texts. Go ahead and imagine how sincere you might be. Go ahead and buy a houseboat.

But for a few minutes each day -- no exceptions -- follow through on your promise to meditate. Don't worry if it's "good" meditation or "bad "meditation" -- just DO it. The whole exercise may be dumber than a box of rocks, but there is more reliable information in your quiet, mindful moments than in all the world's temples and libraries combined.

howmisecmisc1lobster
    edited April 2015

@genkaku: thanks for your above suggestion. actually from the last 3 weeks, i am feeling slight pain in my both knees. i am fearing that i might have damaged my knees due to trying to sit in full lotus posture for few months on a daily basis, with some off-days for example when i would be travelling by train in morning. even though my meditation is far from any calmness, rather my meditation cannot even be called meditation as my mind easily gets entangled in thoughts and my focus is weak - so if i have hurt both my knees and due to it not able to sit on ground in even normal cross-legged posture, then will acts of at least trying to be mindful like when drinking tea, walking after lunch etc can these acts help in the practice - or - is it a total case of no hope of any insight arising in mind without sitting meditation? i can sit on a chair, but most of the time it is in office and you can understand that sitting on a cushion on a chair in office might seem awkward - moreover, i am more comfortable sitting on ground for meditation than on chair - but unfortunately i have developed pain in my both knees for the last 3 weeks, which i can feel through out the day, so seems like i should now stop sitting on the ground.

any suggestions here, please. thanks in advance.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@misecmisc1

A mediation posture is whatever position you can most easily maintain that does not require continual muscular readjustments, create distracting pain or lead to sleepiness.

A weak focus can be addressed by any concentration on the feel of the natural breath. The degree that you work on such a concentration can simply depend on how much of this directed attention is needed to maintain itself. As your focus develops, the breath focus can be let go of until you find yourself in need of it again.

Remember that most analysis of ones meditation is only our mentality looking for a holiday from another moment of meditation,

misecmisc1lobstersilver

@misecmisc1-- My Zen teacher, who was the abbot of a Japanese monastery in his later years, told me once that for the first 17 years of his zazen practice, his legs hurt like hell. This is not to suggest that you "tough it out"or something similar. Sitting cross-legged is the most stable sitting position, but everyone has to work out his or her own balances and simultaneously recall the words of the old guy who asked, "When has zazen ever had anything to do with sitting on a cushion?"

Is it hard, is it painful, is it confusing, is it faultless, is it riddled with fault, is it good, is it bad, is it tall, is it short, is it perfect, is it imperfect .... blah, blah, blah: Just DO it. Use the energy you put into the analyses and critiques and put it towards (if you find it useful) counting the exhalations from one to ten and beginning again. Just DO it. Don't ask why and don't worry about because. Set foolishness like "meaning" and "explanation" and "improvement" aside. Just DO it ... a little each day ... every day ... forever. If anyone could explain to you why this is a good idea, they would be lying. Only you are capable of the truth.

So....

misecmisc1silver