Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Are Buddhists 'Green'?

We can save the world with fungi:

However other more self-interested, short-sighted, ignorance often excludes simple, natural solutions. :(

Are Buddhists drawn to ecology, natural living and our connection to Gia and other sentients? <3

Are Buddhists 'Green'?

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I've always been drawn to them,had/has nothing to do with Buddhism. I find they work well together.

Though, I am very prone to motion sickness and get quite green on amusement park rides that spin around, and sitting in the back seat of the car for too long.

BunksShoshindantepwsilver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited April 2015

I try to be a tree hugging Buddhist greenie , I guess I've always been an environmentalist even when doing pestology work I was always looking for total pesticide free options or IPM if need be... I follow the middle way.... no extremes...

Are Buddhists 'Green' ?

In answer to your question ...It would be good if we all ( as in everybody not just Buddhists) could be, but I guess some are (those who can see beyond the self) and some aren't (those who are still struggling with this concept)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said:> We can save the world with fungi:

I do like quorn fillets, which are made from fungi but taste a bit like chicken. ;)

zenlite_emily
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2015

^^^ mushroom saves chicken - you read it here first! :)

Meanwhile Audi make diesel out of water and carbon dioxide ... yeah? Why was that so hard?
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/04/27/audi-e-diesel/

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@SpinyNorman you should be the poster guy for Quorn, lol.

zenlite_emily
  • Green and red are the colours of life.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Pöljä said:
    Green and red are the colours of life.

And Christmas! <3

Rowan1980

Bah humbug!

lobster
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    Bah humbug!

Indeed.

Some people are red, some black, some conservationists, some Conservatives, some Royalists, some Liberal, some gay, some lame, some lamas, some pro-crackers, some sane, some anti sex, some pro Duce, some BDLP etc.

Buddhists are fifty shades of Dharma

@karasti said:> SpinyNorman you should be the poster guy for Quorn, lol.

I was hoping they'd send me some complimentary fillets. ;)

lobster
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

They should be! Harm to the environment means harm to sentient beings. The first rule of Buddhism is no harming anyone! Thich Nhat Hanh wrote a good book on this. 'The World We Have – A Buddhist approach to peace and ecology.'

Rowan1980
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited April 2015

No, you are humbug :) Green is the colour of chloroplasts and red is the colour of hemoglobin. I'm againts communism and other sorts of fascism. I'm pro the social and ecological justice.

• robotrobot Veteran

I wont qualify as a Buddhist until I can green up my act.
    Burning fuel and killing fish are what I'm about for now. As well as as all manner of toxic substances used to keep an old wooden boat on the surface.

• @robot said:
    I wont qualify as a Buddhist until I can green up my act.
    Burning fuel and killing fish are what I'm about for now. As well as as all manner of toxic substances used to keep an old wooden boat on the surface.

There are the ideals. There are the practicalities.

The Theravadin monks (formally known as 'little wheelies') are not allowed to till the land in case they damage worms. Us plebs take the bad karma. Please!

You qualify, your boat has Buddha Nature, especially if you fly the flag for the benefit of the scurvy crew ...

robotZenshin
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

I don't think Buddhists should be smoking any greens.

federica