Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

And shut down Facebook so people actually talk to each other face-to-face like in the good old days!

Lionduck
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

or F2F as they say.

On Facebook.

Yeah, it ain't "social media" it's "antisocial media". Bah humbug and praise the Luddites!

federicaRowan1980
  • robotrobot Veteran

This is social media.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

http://www.tricycle.com/blog/raucous-silence#comment-55986

I didn't know where to put this, but this new play sounds wonderful.

Rowan1980
  • PöljäPöljä Veteran

This is antisocial media. There are much better places to grow up and spend your time than this.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited May 2015

@robot said:
    This is social media.

You are correct. A forum is an example of social media. This is THE only place I participate on such medium. All my family and friends know this. Which is why I specially mentioned people who know me and know what I don't play in. AS mentioned, it seems weird to people that someone would only be on a 'religious'/Buddhist forum and nothing else. Why does it have to be all or nothing? If I'm on ONE Buddhist forum then what? It's a free for all when it comes to my face, image anything and everything?? And then it seems weird to people that I want control/choice over what is put out there. I'm just tired of going back and forth with them when they know I'm not facebook, twitter, all the others. It just seems like a constant subject of tension. But even referrign to young people at these parties...how would they know I even participate in this ONE? Why assume everyone wants all their stuff out there all the time?

There's a time and place for everything.

Theres an exception to every rule.

I tried to give specific examples in my rant...hahaha. You guys here are not the ones I'm talking about. BUt even then...I think here we have a pretty high respect for each other and don't push each other past the willing/giving info line...if you know what I'm sayin'....and I think you do. ;)

• robotrobot Veteran

It might be a good time for SpinyNorman to toss his laptop into a bucket of water! The Luddites would be shocked to know that he is tossing their name around on the Internet. Good thing they'll never find out. What they don't know can't hurt them.

Bunks

I'm an undercover Luddite on a mission to keep track of social media, so I have no choice but to log on. ;)

SarahT
  • Rowan1980Rowan1980 Keeper of the Zoo Asheville, NC Veteran
    Hilarity is when you're sitting in the front passenger seat while your spouse is driving and you're reading "No Mud, No Lotus," and the lug nuts on a tire pop out and you see your front driver's-side tire rolling across the highway and into the woods. :lol:

We're okay! We were super fortunate to have a kind young guy help us pop the tire back on so we could limp to a garage. Back on the road!
    lobsterBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Glad you are OK. Trauma can be a hilarity. Love the amusing karmic wheel roll, so to speak ;)<3

Rowan1980
    @lobster -When life imitates dharma, that's for sure. Luckily, my wife is an excellent driver and she's great at maintaining control of the vehicle. Both the young man who helped us and the mechanic at the garage get major karmic Brownie points. It could have been much, much worse all around.
    Buddhadragon
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2015

I am going to murder AT&T. Changed account to me from my mom... computer crashed and they had to restart from zero and have a service tech come and start from zero (rather than just transferring). The service tech came and new modem and new remote
    and I thought it was all situated. Worked for 2 days and then failed so another service tech had to come and reinstall a new modem and he remarked that the previous had done several things wrong.

Ok so now I worked hours and hours on my files and have everything in check regarding files. I am all happy to pay the first bill and I am actually excited!! to pay my first bill :) Name on the billing address is my mother again like we have accomplished nothing being on the phone 2 hours and then two 4 hour installation periods. I am a patient person but it is becoming a joke.

how
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Jeffrey, "When you've reached the end of your tether - tie a knot in it, and hang on...."

ZenshinJeffreyRowan1980
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

i am indian and let me tell you, being indian is actually a great thing. we have beautiful people and we have ugly people. just like any race. I for 1 am a great person, have great friends, and i take care of every one that is in my life and i am glad to do it, and for that i have people that love me around me. also, indian parents are one of the best parents you can have. sometimes they can be really strict, but they will take care of you no matter what, and they will buy you what ever it is that you need. as long as your not a selfish ****head. Also, we all have great jobs, lots of money and a family that we all love and take care off.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

• take care OF *....

Just though I'd get THAT off MY chest....

lobsterBuddhadragon
  • SarahTSarahT Time ... space ... joy South Coast, UK Veteran

"your not a selfish ...." @fed, are you slipping? ;)

Rowan1980
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

If I change my email address on this website will I get a more angry looking avatar?

Why not put your own....?

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

I would make an announcement, but I seem to have wandered off somewhere. So I'm going out to look for me. If I should come back while I'm still away, keep me here until I return.

lobsterRowan1980Vastmind
    edited May 2015

@how, you told us back in February that your partner came down with a case of shingles... How are things going now...?

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@federica
    Thanks for asking.
    She had a month of acute pain, another month of discomfort and now just the occasional tingling along the same nerve pathways that had blistered.

One of my 40 yr old clients came down with what they thought was palsy. Sometime later some blisters were found in his ear canal and leading into his brain.
    Shingles is now the diagnosis but he looks like someone who's had a serious stroke with recovery in terms of years not months. so...I guess there are all types of degrees of effect.
    Got my vaccine for it a month ago.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Great bathmat at @federica. Crocheted? An excellent form of activity meditation/mindfulness/practice. :)

The pic is an excellent example of photographic narrative. I want to kick that corner over, to make it 'workable'. Taken with a phone? The shoes just add that unfoldment ...

Congratulations.

@lobster said:
    Great bathmat at federica. Crocheted? An excellent form of activity meditation/mindfulness/practice. :)

No, knitted in some pattern called "Honeycomb slip stitch." Although we're technically looking at the 'wrong' side, the piece is reversible. Hence the fold-over to show both sides.

Crochet? Can't do it. Can't be arsed. Tried it once, and I ended up with a gnarled, untidy mess of knots. I'll stick with knitting.

The pic is an excellent example of photographic narrative. I want to kick that corner over, to make it 'workable'. Taken with a phone? The shoes just add that unfoldment ...

Congratulations.

The shoes (my Mum's workaday sandals) were included to add perspective.

The yarn used is actually a long reel of T-shirt fabric trim... Apparently, the company that markets it uses the long cut off edge from the gargantuan rolls of fabric woven to create T-shirts and other garments.... No two rolls of "yarn" are ever the same....

lobster

@how, delighted and relieved that your partner is.over the worst. It took my mum about 6 months in all to completely get over her bout. I am sorry though, to hear about your client's case. That truly is an awful situation. The poor guy must have been in a high degree of discomfort...

It looks like the Conservatives will win the UK election. Labour didn't do well and the Lib Dems were wiped out. The Scottish rebels ( SNP ) have taken over Scotland and will now be invading England! What fun!

• lobsterlobster Veteran

I iz ready. Long live Scotland the Brave!

Rowan1980

Humph, maybe Edward Longshanks had the right idea after all.

I think Nicola Sturgeon will call for a new Referendum on whether to separate completely from the UK or not.
    And this time, I think England should also be permitted to vote.

What's the connection between Alex Salmond and Nicola Sturgeon...?
    Some may say Caviar. Others may say there's something fishy going on....

Rowan1980SarahTlobster
    @federica -Cotton yarn for the shower mat?
    edited May 2015

No, actually, it's a mix; red is cotton/elastane, brown is cotton polyester mix....(just read the yarn roll labels....)

Rowan1980

I found a tutorial on how to make your own t-shirt fabric yarn, but googling "how to make your own t-shirt yarn" brings up loads of youtube tutorials....

• reb1220reb1220 Explorer

Just mowed the lawn using an old fashioned Remington push mower. No gas, no electric, no power, just push push push. Realizing how old I am as I am crashed in my chair lol

Rowan1980

You have a lawn?! Sheer luxury!

silverRowan1980lobsterShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2015

@reb1220 said:
    Just mowed the lawn using an old fashioned Remington push mower. No gas, no electric, no power, just push push push. Realizing how old I am as I am crashed in my chair lol

Put it on a higher setting. Most people mow too low and consequently have brown patches where the fine but short and fragile grass dies. I like green meadow lawns with daisies ...
    http://lawncare.about.com/od/maintenance/a/goldenrule.htm

Good link.
    Typical lobster ; Mad, bad, and interesting to know.... :D

lobsterZenshinVastmindBuddhadragon

Today I has mostly been knitting a lemniscate cowl..

lobster

Today oi will be mostly being mystified boi Nargajuna's diolectics.

lobster

Today oi will be joinin' you in that.

edited May 2015

(I'm pretty much mystified by everything going on, life-wise at the mo'...

Sigh.)

How's yer mum, Spiny? :)

I visited my mum yesterday at the care home and she is doing OK, being well looked after and comfortable and seems content. Completely out with the fairies though, didn't know who I was and thought she'd been in the care home for years ( it's actually 3 months ).

Rowan1980lobsterJeffrey

Are you ok? :)

Yes, I'm getting through it. Feeling a bit guilty in a general sort of way, but I think that's inevitable.

VastmindlobsterJeffreyHamsaka
  • SHAMROCK STEW!!

edited May 2015

(I think you're in the wrong thread... "Word Association Game (2)" is just over...

<---- there......)

Vastmind
  • robotrobot Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, I'm getting through it. Feeling a bit guilty in a general sort of way, but I think that's inevitable.

Well, your mum is still alive so you can be the most loving and caring son that you can be. And try to make the best choices for her care.
    I have some regrets about how we handled my mother's care. And some guilt.
    Now what I can do is try to share what I've learned with my kids. So they might not have guilt when I'm gone.