Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Craving and aversion

I understand the craving part - if we crave for things (whatever that may be), we may not get it and end up getting frustrated. So avoid craving. Makes sense. But the aversion part makes no sense. If something causes pain, shouldn't that be avoided? I should not crave a million dollars. But shouldn't I avoid poverty?

Let's talk about this.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi @Genie - you are getting pain and suffering confused.

Yes - if I stick my hand on a hot plate it will cause me pain so I should avoid it.

If you think about it a bit more you'll realise that aversion is actually craving (is it not?)

• Aversion is the result of fear. There is fear of death, sickness, separation, loss etc. Isn't fear a cause of suffering?

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Aversion, tome, is pushing things/people/situations away. It's not about being careless, but about accepting what comes and knowing how to deal with it skillfully. Living in a manner that leaves you making decisions out of fear (as pegembara said) or jealousy or whatever is aversion.
    Middle way. Not over-attachment. Not aversion/looking away/turning a blind eye. It is facing reality head on and dealing with it appropriately.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited June 2015

@sova : thanks for the above teachings. brilliantly written. _ /\ _

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @sova fantastic and insightful. Except for the bit about aversion being like an animal emotion.
    My dog never worries about a flat tyre or what the neighbours dog said ;) i think my dog is enlightened.
    Kundo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@genie said:> I understand the craving part - if we crave for things (whatever that may be), we may not get it and end up getting frustrated. So avoid craving. Makes sense. But the aversion part makes no sense. If something causes pain, shouldn't that be avoided? I should not crave a million dollars. But shouldn't I avoid poverty?

Craving and aversion are two sides of the same coin. So for example a craving for wealth also means an aversion to poverty.

ShoshinHamsakaBuddhadragon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

craving are things we cling to.
    Aversion is things we are repulsed by.

But we still have them in our minds as something we are clinging to.

There is a saying that goes:

"When you hate (have aversion for) something in a strong and emphatic way, you hold them within your heart and mind just as much as if you loved and desired them".

The whole point is to be ensnared by neither one.

Earthninjasova
    edited June 2015

Craving obviously is due to attachment. Aversion indirectly has attachment as its root. That is why, non-attachment is considered at least a very important (if not the most important) thing in spirituality.

@misecmisc1 said:> Craving obviously is due to attachment. Aversion indirectly has attachment as its root.

I'd say directly. Aversion arises when attachment is threatened.

misecmisc1Kenneth

@SpinyNorman said:
    I'd say directly. Aversion arises when attachment is threatened.

Agreed sir. i said indirectly because a layman or a common materialist man, usually do not ponder much over why the aversion has arose at the first place, rather he thinks that he does not want that thing and if he does not get that thing, it comforts him, then he starts holding on to that thought that he does not want that thing, so in a way he becomes attached to that thought, which says he does not want that thing. so aversion towards a thing grows as a habit in him and he does not realize that he has become attached to this thought of not wanting that thing. so i said aversion indirectly has attachment as its root, though your reasoning is more appropriate that since at the first place attachment is threatened, so aversion directly has attachment at its root.

• 0student00student0 Explorer
    I'm getting the jist of this, but if one takes this idea of complete non attachment literally, wouldn't you end up in all kinds of trouble all the time? Wouldn't you starve, for instance?
    edited June 2015

non-attachment should be considered with respect to greed, hatred and delusion. also non-attachment should be applied along with common-sense.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@0student0 said:
    I'm getting the jist of this, but if one takes this idea of complete non attachment literally, wouldn't you end up in all kinds of trouble all the time? Wouldn't you starve, for instance?

No. Thank Buddha. =)

The Buddha tried starving during his ascetic pre-enlightenment yogi days. He was traditionally all skin and bones.

Fortunately he realised the Middle Way, remembering to eat once a day and not to indulge in extreme behaviour, such as not breathing, which he also tried and ended up having headaches. Not breathing was clearly an extreme form of pranayama that he abandoned for breathing as practice ...
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anapanasati

Zenshin0student0Earthninja
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

“Everything is always changing. If you relax into this truth, that is Enlightenment. If you resist, this is samsara (suffering).”
    Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse, “What Makes You (Not) a Buddhist”

Pema Chodron says that the more we resist something (and we DO resist our aversions), the more they hurt.
    Think of a child about to get a flu shot .. how their resistance/aversion to the experience gets them so upset that they are shivering and crying even before the shot. The experience turns out to be horrible for them, but it is all created by their aversion. While an adult relaxes into it and never feels it at all.

Modern pain management theory has the patient who suffers from chronic untreatable pain, opening FULLY to the pain and then relax into it.

Our aversions create our pain. Our resistance to our aversions. This is so for emotions as well as for physical sensations.
    Use mindfulness next time you are feeling an aversion ... are you happy, at peace, open and joyfully embracing the moment? I'm not, and I doubt if you are, either.

ZenshinlobsterKenneth
    edited June 2015

@Walker said:
    0student0
    That's what the Buddha discovered, The Middle Way. When he was experimenting with self-mortification, he realized that he needed food, not just to survive, but to stay healthy. He discovered he had become attached to his motivation to deprive the flesh.

As far as my theoretical understanding goes : the Buddha did not realize by himself that he needed food. When he was on the extreme end of his ascetic practice, then a village girl (who was seeing him as a yogi meditating for quite some time and getting weaker due to his extreme practice) approached him with a bowl of rice porridge and said to him - eat this(rice porridge). if your body will die, then how will you achieve enlightenment - then this message from that village girl, who was not even much learned, shocked him and then he thought about it and found that the village girl was saying correctly. then he ate the rice porridge (or some dish, which she had prepared for him and brought for him) and then he gave up his ascetic practice.

may be this is why in spirituality it is often said that grace is needed finally to push us, as we cannot do it completely by ourselves, so that is why support is needed in some form from teachers, fellow colleagues etc and someone should give that final push to help us awaken. may be that village girl was the grace for Buddha in his life to save his life and finally help him indirectly in him getting enlightened. this can also be seen from the many zen stories or even koans, in which one action from one person finally helped another person to achieve realization.

Walker
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Yes @misecmisc1 . I think the village girl did play a large role in the event.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Ah....! Behind every great man is a woman with a whole load of common sense....! :D

WalkerKenneth

@FoibleFull said:> “Everything is always changing. If you relax into this truth, that is Enlightenment. If you resist, this is samsara (suffering).”
    Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse, “What Makes You (Not) a Buddhist”

But is change the only source of suffering? I don't think it is.

lobsterWalker
    @SpinyNorman hmm could you give an example of suffering that doesn't arise from change?
    I'm trying to think of one but it all links with resisting or wanting(change)
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ constipation

silversovaEarthninja
    edited June 2015

@Earthninja said:> SpinyNorman hmm could you give an example of suffering that doesn't arise from change? I'm trying to think of one but it all links with resisting or wanting(change)

Examples are chronic physical pain or chronic mental pain like depression. The suffering is due to unpleasant feelings persisting, not with pleasant feelings subsiding. In some scenarios suffering is about things appearing not to change.

Also see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukkha, where the suffering of change is one type of three.

lobsterWalkerEarthninjaHamsaka
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster said:
    ^^^ constipation

maybe ur in the wrong thread? :p

Walkerlobster
    @SpinyNorman my point is mute because everything changes anyway. Your spot on mate.

(...that's 'moot.... 'mute' means unable to speak.... :blush: )

Earthninja
    Thank you! :) I don't use that word often. And I should of rephrased your as you're.

Oh the English language... No wonder we are so confused.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@genie said:
    If something causes pain, shouldn't that be avoided?

How can you avoid old age, sickness and dying?

Earthninja

@Earthninja said:
    Thank you! :) I don't use that word often. And I should of rephrased your as you're.

....should HAVE.....

OK, I really am going to crawl back under my rock now....!

WalkerEarthninjaBunks
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2015

@seeker242 said:

The Buddha talked about sankhata dhammas and asankhata dhammas -- conditioned and unconditioned things. Conditioned things are innumerable -- material or immaterial, big or small -- if our mind is under the influence of delusion, it will proliferate about these things, dividing them up into good and bad, short and long, coarse and refined. Why does the mind proliferate like this? Because it doesn't know determined reality, [25] it doesn't see the Dhamma. Not seeing the Dhamma, the mind is full of clinging. As long as the mind is held down by clinging there can be no escape, there is confusion, birth, old age, sickness and death, even in the thinking processes. This kind of mind is called the sankhata dhamma (conditioned mind).

Asankhata dhamma, the unconditioned, refers to the mind which has seen the Dhamma, the truth, of the Five Khandhas as they are -- as Transient, Imperfect and Ownerless. All ideas of "me" and "them," "mine" and "theirs," belong to the determined reality. Really they are all conditions. When we know the truth of conditions, as neither ourselves nor belonging to us, we let go of conditions and the determined. When we let go of conditions we attain the Dhamma, we enter into and realize the Dhamma. When we attain the Dhamma we know clearly. What do we know? We know that there are only conditions and determinations, no being, no self, no "us" nor "them." This is knowledge of the way things are.

Seeing in this way the mind transcends things. The body may grow old, get sick and die, but the mind transcends this state. When the mind transcends conditions, it knows the unconditioned. the mind becomes the unconditioned, the state which no longer contains conditioning factors. The mind is no longer conditioned by the concerns of the world, conditions no longer contaminate the mind. Pleasure and pain no longer affect it. Nothing can affect the mind or change it, the mind is assured, it has escaped all constructions. Seeing the true nature of conditions and the determined, the mind becomes free.

http://www.budsas.org/ebud/livdhamma/livdham09.htm

lobsterEarthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

Wonderful quote @pegembara <3
    Long live the Hinayana, Nikaya, Theravada, Enlightened ;)

... and now back to the unconditional ...

Earthninjapegembara
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@silver said: Re @lobster's "^^^constipation" remark
    maybe ur in the wrong thread? :p

Don't worry..." Shit happens!" @lobster :D

WalkerEarthninjasilver
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Change may not be the cause of all suffering but without change there is no suffering period.

No anything for that matter.
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2015

Craving and aversion are equal misuse of our energy, away from the equanimity of our inner core, but in different directions.
    Craving is close to greed and coveting, aversion is close to hatred and rejection.

lobster
  • @genie - In mindfulness practice mind states like craving and aversion should not be pushed away or getting rid of them. Rather the Buddha offers something to look into it - skillfully - investigate, study it more closely. When we are able to identify them clearly how they arises - That is buddhism is all about, able to see thing just the way they are.

By simply knowing them when arises is such a tremendous power, and together with regular meditation we will see how they are fuelled. Our response to those mind reactivity comes from our mind habitual patterns.

Earthninja
    edited June 2015

@ourself said:> Change may not be the cause of all suffering but without change there is no suffering period.

I disagree. What if you're stuck with a lifelong disability, physical or mental? Suffering seems to be more about rejecting one's current or ongoing circumstances.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited June 2015
    @SpinyNorman;

Without change there would be no physical or mental processes of any kind. There would be no lifelong anything.

No causation without change, no impermanence without change, no suffering and no awakening without change.
  • It's a never-ending crave. It's not like the feeling of wanting to be wealthy or live a good life, the feelings that come and go. Aversion is just one many fires that takes forever to extinguish just as is cravings.
    @namarupa yes if you put the fires out one at a time it will take for ever. We've been pointed to a shortcut. :)

@ourself said: Without change there would be no physical or mental processes of any kind. There would be no lifelong anything.

Of course. I was disagreeing with the idea that it's only change that causes suffering.

@SpinyNorman said:
    Of course. I was disagreeing with the idea that it's only change that causes suffering.

Oh... Ok, well I wasn't trying to imply it is.

Examples are chronic physical pain or chronic mental pain like depression. The suffering is due to unpleasant feelings persisting, not with pleasant feelings subsiding. In some scenarios suffering is about things appearing not to change.

Also see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dukkha, where the suffering of change is one type of three.

Strange... In Thich Nhat Hanhs The Heart of the Buddhas Teaching he says

"If we are not careful in the way we practice, we may have the tendency to make the words of our teacher into a doctrine or an ideology. Since the Buddha said that the First Noble Truth is suffering, good many students of the Buddha have used their skills to prove that everything on Earth is suffering. The theory of the Three Kinds of Suffering was such an attempt. It is not a teaching of the Buddha."

Shoshin

@ourself said: TNH says: "The theory of the Three Kinds of Suffering was such an attempt. It is not a teaching of the Buddha."

I wonder what he's basing that claim on? http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn38/sn38.014.than.html