Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

I'm really digging this song (=

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I'm happy to see your face, @karasti.
    I know it's just a disposable, impermanent, non-self, dukkha skandha, but I love people showing themselves, especially in happy moments like this one <3

karastisilver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@karasti said:Me and my son.

You don't look old enough to have a son. ;)

Rowan1980federicakarasti
  • ZenniZenni Veteran

A beautiful young lady!!

Well that was an awesome episode of Game of Thrones, Sunday can't come soon enough :(

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I stopped watching that crap ages ago. I mean, how many more wanton, mindless, completely unnecessary rape scenes can a person fit into a series?

I mainly watch the show because Peter Dinklage is phenomenal in it.

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

@federica said:

• take care OF *....

Just though I'd get THAT off MY chest....

Just thought .

Shoshinfederica
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Announcing...NB ice cream party this week-end! Get your favorite ice cream pics, jokes, stories or recipes ready!!! :awesome:

lobsterWalkerHamsaka
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran
    edited June 2015
    I made my first mala tonight. Paracord and "wood" beads. I plan to make a fancier one, from paracord as well, but I will try to do some knotting in place of beads.

Edit: I'm trying to put a picture of it up but it doesn't seem to be working.
    Rowan1980Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^
    Fascinating. Never heard of such a thing till now. Do you mean something like this:

(click on the black paper with folded corner icon to upload images) ...

Hamsaka
    Something like that. I haven't quite figured out what kind of knots I want to use. Maybe something simple like a fisherman's knot.
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

^^^ In the minimal dharma tradition such a thing would be considered a bracelet BUT I feel it can be used by the impoverished mantra and prayer repeaters of all traditions, who prefer not to be seen counting on their fingers or completely internally. I look forward to any tips/ideas you develop. :)

The folded paper icon incidentally is on top of the NewBuddhist text editor when you use it ... you can drop an image from a folder, or link to its location on a personal device or web location (URL)

Large images are not currently being accepted for some reason ...

@lobster - Thank you, the tips are always appreciated.

@federica said:
    Currently, we have some threads running simultaneously on:

Craving & Aversion
    The First Noble Truth
    Tolle on Experience
    The Three Dhamma Seals
    Mindfulness...

I will confess, as things stand at the moment in my life, they sure are giving me some pretty hefty slaps upside de head right now...!

I bet beyond our personal situations, we all find something in there that rings home... and we can certainly relate to you, Fede <3

lobsterWalkerVastmind
  • robotrobot Veteran

@bookworm said:
    I mainly watch the show because Peter Dinklage is phenomenal in it.

I like everyone in Game of Thrones. That's some great TV.
    Have you watched True Detective? I've seen season one and loved it. Pretty dark story tho. Not for everyone.

I haven't seen it but I have heard it is good, I also really enjoyed the first two seasons of Hannibal.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, we did too... I have to say, the USA is home to some pretty weird crappy programmes, but they do pull some absolutely quality stuff out of the hat, sometimes... Hannibal was great, as was Blacklist.... Clever.... And some comedies defy superlatives.

bookwormRowan1980
  • robotrobot Veteran

@bookworm said:
    I haven't seen it but I have heard it is good, I also really enjoyed the first two seasons of Hannibal.

I'd have to say that if anything the acting in True detective is as good as any in GoT if not better.
    I was really surprised at Woody Harrelson and Mathew McConahey. I didn't know they had it in them.
    I haven't seen Hannibal. I'll look into it.

Woody Harrelson first came to my attention in 'Cheers' playing a dumb waiter. Literally. He was extremely good and I remember thinking then that his timing was impeccable.

He's apparently and avid advocate of living an as ecologically-sound, liberal, and vegan a life as possible.... another surprise....

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I am still catching up on GoT which my husband keeps up with but I started watching just a few weeks ago. I still have 2 left before I can catch up, so no new episode for me yet. I quite enjoy the ass kicking females, lol. I truly don't understand the addition of the rape scenes that aren't even in the books. That seems way excessive. The rest I tolerate because it truly was a part of war in those times, and is still a part of war in our times, unfortunately. Not saying that makes it ok, of course, but as a retelling of a story set in that time period, it makes story sense (most of the time). That said, Outlander has had rape scenes as well (and one that was more graphic than in GoT) but has seen far less outcry because it's billed as a romance and adventure show rather than a war show.

Have been loving the heck out of my new running program, and this morning I stepped on a toothpick. A toothpick? I didn't even know we had any. No one uses them. I don't know where it came from. But my foot hurts like the dickens, so probably no running tomorrow. Perhaps a bike ride instead. Couldn't even let me have my coffee before I stepped on it. Get a life, karma, let a girl have her coffee first.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@karasti
    Your story of being taken out by a toothpick does says how short a time we'd probably survive in the Game of Thrones.

I do like the show but it does seem that 10 minutes of every script gets written by a 13 year old boy where the gratuitous sex and violence somehow doesn't fit well with the rest of the script.
    Ah well..keeps us guessing.

edited June 2015

I was definitely smitten with "Mentalist," "Scandal" and "Blacklist."
    And I find James Spader far sexier now, with his belly and bald head, than when he was a blond heartthrob back in the eighties.
    Coming to think of it, he reminds me of my husband, who was also a blond heartthrob back in the eighties and now is... bald... and swelling at the seams... O.o

• howhow Veteran Veteran

Both the Mentalist and the Blacklist are definitely better than most Hollywood productions for being both smart and unpredictable. The Blacklist does get a bit smarmy at times (emotionally manipulative) but not enough for me to miss an episode.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

One of my favourites is "Dexter", fascinating and cleverly done.

ajhayes
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

^^^ You are a secret Sith ... Yes I liked Dexter very much. I only watched the first series. I think that was enough for me. It is very clever but even so ...

I like very dark humour, so enjoyed 'Breaking Bad' and watched several series three or four was enough.

I enjoyed 'The Game', this has already been out in BBC USA two years ago and was recently on UK terrestrial.

Not sure I will watch Game of Thrones or some of the other series mentioned.

I was recommended to watch 'ten feet under'. I saw some clips and it looks very funny. Maybe ...

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

That's not a bad size at all to work with @federica You going to try some edibles or strictly ornamental?

edited June 2015

I can try some edibles... I have a greenhouse, newly-inherited with the tenancy of the property but it's been much neglected. It's overgrown with brambles and honeysuckle, so this winter I will remove the glass to clean it, and try to tackle the jungle.... Growing veg in the open runs two risks: The trees take up a massive amount of ground moisture, so keeping them watered will be a heck of a job, and because there are no boundaries we risk... how can I put it... others taking from where they shouldn't be taking....

HamsakasilverRowan1980
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Four-legged and two-legged!

There's already a good-sized healthy grapevine in it though.... but that too, needs a little taming!

Walker
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hey, @Jason .... What it do? How it be? :smile:

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

How 'bout some lovely pale pink peonies, @Federica?

Oh, some of my favourite flowers... I adore them... But first, I must slowly, slowly transform the garden.... I have bagged up all the lawn cuttings, and begun to clip back some of the existing plants.
    I aim to rid myself of the pampas grass (no matter how hard I try, I cannot bring myself to truly like it... good for a very large garden, requiring a specific feature, but this is too big....) and tame the Kilmarnock willow and remove a whole load of dead wood from its crown.... it has been badly neglected and is getting top heavy and leaning.... shame, it's an attractive little tree... the root-stock has also sent up some long, strong branches, which threaten to take the plant over....

there are some fruit trees which have suffered the same fate, but I think it's too late to save them... the main fruiting stock has died and the root-stocks have sent up new wood which frankly, will never bear good fruit, and again, have taken over the plant.
    They're also strangely positioned at the entrance to the garden, which is bizarre.... It seems as if there was an enthusiastic gardener as tenant a few years ago, who loved plants but had little or no understanding of positioning, placement or continuing care... No gardener ever stood back, arms folded and declared "My work here is done!" (I think I said this before.... :D )

silver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

That sounds like quite an undertaking, and tons of hard work. What will it take to get rid of the old trees?

A good saw and some powerful herbicide, like 'root-out'. Fortunately, the trees are not too big.... I plan to cut the pampas grass right back this autumn. Hopefully, the cold and frost may kill it. if not, again, some good herbicide....

peonies would look wonderful in the garden.. their blooms are short-lived, and they hate root-disturbance, so once planted (not too deep) expect no flowers for a year or two.... Tree peonies do better in large pots.... I love all of them....

My mom's flower garden was large and she had two peony bushes - one had pale pink and the other was a pale lavender - another flower I was fascinated with as a child were the grape hyacinths - had a row of them along the front.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I loved snapdragons as a kid because I liked the idea of a dragon and also you could make them bite with their mouths.

Rowan1980
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Created an Album on the Tate website
    http://www.tate.org.uk/art/albums/340773

o:)

• I'm eating chickpeas with cumin.

Who's 'Cumin'....?

lobster