Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hi

Hi everyone I've defined myself as a Buddhist for a few months now so I am still a newb really. Until now I have been getting most of my info from yahoo answers but due to the very diverse beliefs and opinions on there I have sought out another place for wisdom, so here I am. I have been practicing mindfulness meditation for a year now and I have recently joined a sangha where I practice in a group and so far I have liked it (even though I'm the youngest in the group being 26) Anyways HI..

EarthninjaToshBunks

Comments

• MingleMingle Veteran

I've also recently lost a much loved cat

• I am sorry about your cat friend. Congratulations for finding a sangha to practice with. Besides meditation, what do you do as part of your practice?

• MingleMingle Veteran

Hi Cinorjer. Thanks for the response. What else do I do besides meditation, In what respect? Do you mean actually try and practice the same mindfulness throughout the day? I do try alot, it is quite tricky I have to say. When I become mindful I realize how much of the time I've been unmindful and that's alot. Other then that though what other practices are there?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Hello :)

You are here for wisdom? Avoid talking to lobster, nothing but trouble ... Sorry to hear you lost a cat :(

What sort of sangha have you joined? As a heretic I am normally asked to leave when I ask which hymn to sing next ... ah well ... ;)

Earthninjaroots
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

Hi @Mingle ! Welcome! Buddhism is a great path. :)
    Take it from me, we are all very different in our practices!
    Follow what your heart and what feels right for you. :) I'm 26 and been on this path for 2 years. It's not even a path anymore, it's a way of life.
    Don't worry to much about what to do, you are your own best teacher.
    This is a great forum, you'll get all the advice you want. And don't want! It's great for the practice.
    I'm from Australia

Vastmind
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Welcome @Mingle. Hope you find something useful here.

• @Mingle said:
    Hi Cinorjer. Thanks for the response. What else do I do besides meditation, In what respect? Do you mean actually try and practice the same mindfulness throughout the day? I do try alot, it is quite tricky I have to say. When I become mindful I realize how much of the time I've been unmindful and that's alot. Other then that though what other practices are there?

Being mindful throughout the day is a big one, yes. Being on here shows you're also exploring what a sangha, the community of Buddhists, means in today's world.

How are you doing on the Precepts? Any problems so far in trying to follow them?

• MingleMingle Veteran

Cinojer.... Preceptwise I've never been one for stealing or lying. Harming human beings, does that include verbally? As for the other two I'm a young British guy so it feels like intoxication is inevitable. I probably drink about once a week. The sexual misconduct one, that's easy to follow

• MingleMingle Veteran

Lobster... It is a mindfulness sangha. We meet and meditate for half hour, do some walking meditation, more sitting meditation, read from a book on mindfulness, drink tea (mindfully) then we share stories.

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

HI...nice to meet you. :smile: Make yourself comfortable....

• @Mingle said:
    Cinojer.... Preceptwise I've never been one for stealing or lying. Harming human beings, does that include verbally? As for the other two I'm a young British guy so it feels like intoxication is inevitable. I probably drink about once a week. The sexual misconduct one, that's easy to follow

LOL! Oh, yes, I spend three years in the USAF back in the 80's as a young man stationed near Ipswich, so I know all about you British blokes and the way you love your pints.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2015

Sounds wonderful @Mingle I did not realise this is available. Sounds like a dervish group I attended but we did not get to walking meditation. Stories sounds like a good plan. B)

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Hi @Mingle. Nice to meet you. =) I'm pretty new here too, just joined a couple of months ago. There's some really good discussion here.

Sorry to hear about your feline friend, we lost a cat a couple of years ago, it's hard I know. We adopted another, and he's great. Well, he can be a bit of a card sometimes... lol. :p

• MingleMingle Veteran

This forum already feels like a good shout. Anyone from England or better yet surrey?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm from England, and used to live in Middlesex, and worked in Surrey.... (Twickenham & Richmond. Also Kingston....)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Mingle said:
    This forum already feels like a good shout. Anyone from England or better yet surrey?

No - I am from Australia but I spent a lovely Christmas in Oxshott many years ago.

Welcome @Mingle!

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"I have been getting most of my info from yahoo answers but due to the very diverse beliefs and opinions on there I have sought out another place for wisdom, so here I am"

Kia Ora @Mingle ....
    We are also diverse and at times can be very opinionated as you will no doubt soon find out.... :)
    Om mani padme hung ...for your cat

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Welcome, from the USA here, but happy to see Brits to keep @federica company.... :)

EarthninjaVastmind
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Mingle said:> This forum already feels like a good shout. Anyone from England or better yet surrey?

I'm in Suffolk - Surrey sounds very posh! :p

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

Welcome! I'm very new at this as well. Thus far, I'm really enjoying this forum. Looking forward to learning alongside of you.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I know that's rough.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@Mingle said:

Is Surrey in the Shire? Are you a hobbit?

I always believed Gandalf was real ... only my imaginary psychiatrist is a figment. I think she is NFA incidentally ... ;)

mmo
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2015

Hobbits live in Norfolk, my precious. ;)

NFN = Normal For Norfolk

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Norfolk, Suffolk...

There's Essex.
    Sussex
    Wessex.
    Middlesex.
    Why no 'Norssex'?

Please?

Is it cos we's British...?

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Fortunately most brits can speak multiple languages including Surreyean, American, drivel etc ... so we should be able to understand you @Mingle

DairyLamaWalker