Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma books

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited July 2005 in Sanghas
I have a few books that I have already read. I was thinking of what to do with them. I decided that making them a gift of dana would be a nice thing to do. If anyone would like one I will be happy to mail it to you. If you are interested in having one sent to you please PM me with the title and address where I should mail it. Also, feel free to look up reviews of these books to see if they are something you'd be interested in. The books are as followed:

Where is your Buddha Nature by Hsing Yun. It is mostly short stories divided into sections about the Buddha, stories of Cha'an masters, stories about people, stories about devotees, stories about Hing Yun, stories about disciples. stories about animals, and stories about monastics. Very simple and quick read in the Chinese Cha'an tradition.

Sermons of a Buddhist Abbot by Soyen Shaku. A collection of lectures and articles of Abbot Soyen Shaku. They were given around the early 1900's. These talks were given to Westerners and equates Buddhist ideals with the Western equivalent of "God". It is in the Japanese Zen tradition and I recommend it for a person who believes in God or has at one time. It makes some of the Zen ideas more understandable.

Infinite Circle by Bernie Glassman. He tries to clarify the words of Fukanzazengi (aUniversal Principles of Zazen) written by Dogen Zenji, the founder of the Japanese Soto Zen tradition. Not a bad book although I know little of Zen to say if it's right on or not.

Touching Peace by Thich Nhat Hahn. Simple and quick read about mindful living. Good advice for everyday living. Thich Nhat Hahn is a Vietnamese monk in the Zen tradition.

The Sutra of the Sixth Patriarch on the Pristine Orthodox Dharma translated from the Chinese by Fung and Fung. This Sutra was reported to have been spoken by the Sixth Patriarch Hui Neng almost 1300 years ago. A bit complicated with many terms that may be unfamiliar, but quite good nonetheless. Chinese Cha'an tradition.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    And thus, our book exchange begins :D
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Ok so Touching Peace by Thich Nhat Hahn is gone, the rest are still available.
    edited July 2005
    Anyone?

Books.

Free.

:)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I would ask for them all but I am getting one already and I would like it if everyone got one. Elohim if no one wants them in the end I will take them. After I read them I will offer them here for the next person to read. That way we can keep the circle of books flowing. :)
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Ack! Would have liked the Nhat Hahn book. I'll pm you about the others :)
    edited July 2005
    Ok so,

Touching Peace by Thich Nhat Hahn
    Infinite Circle by Bernie Glassman
    Sermons of a Buddhist Abbot by Soyen Shaku

are gone. The rest are still available.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Thank you for the book Elohim. It arrived today. After reading the first 4 pages I got a little tear in my eye. I could tell the monk who wrote it was totally at peace.