Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and the No Soul Doctrine

I have been reading an article by Leoni Hodgson - http://www.brisbanegoodwill.com/esoteric-philosophy/buddhism-and-the-no-soul-doctrine-v3/

I found section 3 where the author concludes that Buddha "never said that the soul or self did not exist" particularly interesting.

I would be very glad to read the opinions of others.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Read this a while ago. pertinent to topic and well worth re-reading. Particularly this bit:

The Buddha's reply to Po.t.thapaada quoted above as to what he expounded is the key to them all, and the connecting link between them — Dukkha, its origin, its cessation, and the way to its cessation — was the Buddha's only concern. All his doctrinal dissertations climaxed in moral perfection as the way to Dukkha's ceasing.

All we need to do, is to transcend Dukkha.
    Everything else is just chaff in the wind.

bookwormTheswingisyellow
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

^^^ agree with @federica, if you want to know about reincarceration, go ask a Theosophist, New Ager, Lamas 'r Us, etc. They don't know but they have wonderful stories ...

:)

mmo
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

That's interesting. Although, what is equally interesting I think is that he never said a soul does exist.

Earthninja
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

He said that basically such discussion is irrelevant and not conducive to progress along the path.

lobsterKundoShim
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited July 2015

I don't equate a self with a soul as we are each a self in my view. The only soul I could envision is one we are all aspects of but that would entail positing a self for the ultimate truth.

That's too close to giving it a name like Brahman or Yehweh or something.

Earthninja
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think the soul/no soul comes into play more in vajrayana (or maybe even mahayana) because there is so much focus on non-dualistic thinking in those traditions. If you see yourself as a self, as a soul, as a separate anything, then you contribute to dualistic thinking and thus learning how not to think of yourself as separate from anyone/anything else is a key to understanding those teachings.

Tony_A_SimienEarthninja
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@rocala said: I would be very glad to read the opinions of others.

It's all very involved, but there is a distinction between Buddhism and Advaita for example.
    Such questions can ultimately be answered only by practising and insight, in the meantime we can only work with a set of assumptions.

Tony_A_SimienShoshinlobsterEarthninja
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"The acceptance of Atman implies the acceptance of the chariot of Atman – the Soul."
    ....and out comes Nagarjuna's sunyata tool box at the ready to dismantle :)

Cinorjer
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2015

The Buddha did teach that there was an eternal Self, but it wasn't the mundane, ego-based self. It was the "True Self", or Buddhanature, that's inherent, though "dormant" or unrealized, in everyone. According to what are believed to be his last teachings, his Mahaprinirvana sutras.

VastmindKundo
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2015

^^^^ lolololol...you wrong for that...lololololol

ShoshinWalker
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

"Honey, I've seen you dance white boy, just no point in you worrying about soul."

@how -- Love it!

And it brought to mind the wonderful comic musical difficulties of Steve Martin in "The Jerk."

WalkerHamsakakarasti
  • Everything exists just not eternally. Does that work? Hope so.

Cinorjer
  • rootsroots Veteran

On the bright side you can time-travel back to dial-up days with the website formatting. Has a good ole cult feeling to it too. Thank Buddha for wordpress.

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

It feels like the belief in a soul comes from animistic traditions, once we became self aware we could predict our own deaths.
    It might be how we've learnt to deal with death. It doesn't seem as bad when it's a continuum.

I like Alan Watts on rebirth, he says two points and say they are saying the same thing.

1) after you die, you will be reborn but have no memory of your former life. You may as well be someone else.

2) after someone dies, a baby is born.

He also follows up that it doesn't matter where so ever beings exist, they are all "I" we are all of them. But can only experience life through one at a time.
    We all know ourselves as I.
    One soul but multitude of expressions

Cinorjer
  • tibellustibellus Veteran
    edited July 2015

My soul looks like Totoro.

On a more serious note, here's what I think. Is there a soul? I don't know. Isn't there a soul? Again, I don't know. Does a God/Gods exist? Again, I don't know. If all these things exist, I'll probably find out when I die and maybe not even then. In the meantime, I'll work on my dukkha, and boy, there's some working to do. :smile:

Here's a somewhat lengthy quote from a book I love, called "Old Path, White Clouds", by Thich Nhat Hanh:

Bhikkhu Malunkyaputta had been especially advised by the Buddha not to entangle himself in esoteric questions that were not essential for the practice. This was because Malunkyaputta had a habit of asking the Buddha such questions as whether the universe was finite or infinite, temporal or eternal.

The Buddha always refused to answer such questions. One day Malunkyaputta felt he could no longer endure the Buddha’s silence. He resolved that he would ask the Buddha his questions one last time and if the Buddha still refused to answer him, he would ask to be relieved of his vows as a bhikkhu.

He found the Buddha and said, “Teacher, if you will agree to answer my questions, I will continue to follow you. If you refuse, I will abandon the sangha. Tell me if you know whether or not the universe is finite or infinite. If you don’t know the answer, just say so.”
    The Buddha looked at Malunkyaputta and said, “When you asked to be ordained, did I promise to answer such questions? Did I say, ‘Malunkyaputta, become a bhikkhu, and I will solve your metaphysical problems?’”
    “No, Lord, you did not.”
    “Then why do you demand me to do so now? Malunkyaputta, you are like a person shot with a poisoned arrow whose family summons the doctor to have the arrow removed and the man given an antidote. But the man refuses to let the doctor do anything before certain questions can be answered. The wounded man demands to know who shot the arrow, what his caste and job is, and why he shot him. He wants to know what kind of bow the man used and how he acquired the ingredients used in preparing the poison. Malunkyaputta, such a man will die before getting the answers to his questions. It is no different for one who follows the Way. I teach only those things necessary to realize the Way. Things which are not helpful or necessary, I do not teach.
    “Malunkyaputta, whether the universe is finite or infinite, temporal or eternal, there is one truth you must accept, and that is the presence of suffering. Suffering has causes which can be illuminated in order to be removed. The things I teach will help you attain detachment, equanimity, peace, and liberation. I refuse to speak about all those things which are not helpful in realizing the Way.”

0student0roots
    edited July 2015

@Earthninja said: 1) after you die, you will be reborn but have no memory of your former life. You may as well be someone else.

That's how it's described in the suttas, where it's said that only a Buddha can recollect previous lives.
    In the suttas rebirth is generally discussed in relation to kamma, with beings "reappearing" in various destinations according to their actions. So we reap what we sow.

Of course the principle of kamma can be applied over different time scales - days, years and lifetimes. As for how this works with anatta, you could say that the "me" of tomorrow will not be the same as the"me" of today, but the "me" of tomorrow will have to live with the consequences of the behaviour of the "me" of today. So if you drink too much one day you will suffer a hangover the next. ;)

CinorjerEarthninja
    edited July 2015

@Hamsaka said: It hasn't done a thing about that person's suffering, unless you count the arbitrary and fleeting 'comfort' of believing what you prefer to be true rather than what is true (whatever that is).

I tend to view the belief in a Soul as similar to the belief in God, comforting but not necessarily true.
    But like I say to my Quaker friends: "What's your priority, comfort or truth?" ;)

Hamsaka
  • No individual sole. No discrete things.
    This is the doctrine.

But to me, this does not mean there is no soul, it means that the soul is part of one essence. The only thing, that is everything.

All is one.
    One is all.

silver

For me, I hold a vocabularic (lol not a word, made it up) distinction of it for my own uses, but I don't talk about it much because it has such a strong connection to Christianity and people misunderstand what I am talking about. So I don't talk about it. It is just a word I use to differentiate between a deeper part of "my self" rather than my ego. The "watcher" so to speak, the whatever-it-is that knows more than "I" know as long as I can get in touch with it. I don't know what else to call it, and because for me "soul" retains a meaning of something deeper, that is the best I can do. But it doesn't mean I think it to mean an abiding, lasting self, either. It is more for function in daily life than a concern about whether or not it carries on after I die. It is what seems to hold the teachings that I learn, and the ideal way for me to live my life aside from what the ego thinks. When I am in touch with it, I am living in a different way than when I am not.

lobsterZenshinDairyLamaDavid

@karasti said:It is just a word I use to differentiate between a deeper part of "my self" rather than my ego. The "watcher" so to speak, the whatever-it-is that knows more than "I" know as long as I can get in touch with it.

I know what you mean, I think of it like a more spacious ( larger? ) self which I "connect" with when mindfulness is strong or in meditation, or sometimes just in the natural world or looking at the night sky.

edited July 2015

I'm with @Dakini on this one. I thought instead of soul it was called Buddhanature/ Tathāgatagarbha
    And the 'characteristics' of this are explained. It's what's left/without the skandhas/aggregates...

Maybe that's separating things into Mahayana...Anyway, I call it Buddhanature.

Exactly, yes, Buddhanature. But everyone experiences similar things in jolts just like we do, they just call it other things. Try sitting at Christmas dinner and saying "I don't believe in the soul, I believe in Buddhanature" LOL For me, I just kind of assume that most people I interact with in my personal life are talking about soul the same way I know Buddhanature to be, but it's easier to go with their vocabulary. They are in touch with a deeper more true part of who they are, they just call it something else. Obviously, when other people say "soul" or whatever, they mean something different,and sadly some of them seem to never have had an experience of being in touch with something deeper :( I find I have a hard time discussing such topics with them because we aren't on the same page even using the same words. But people I know well,I know we are talking about the same thing and there seems little point in mincing words to tell them I refer to it as something else. Most often, I refer to it as a "true self" because people seem to understand that and it lacks religious connection, while soul or Buddhanature does not.

VastmindDavidlobstersilver

@Vastmind said: It's what's left/without the skandhas/aggregates...

Is there something beyond the aggregates? ;)

Vastmind
    edited July 2015

No...not a thing :mrgreen:

DavidZenshinKundo
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    No...not a thing :mrgreen:

That deserves an awesome and a lol.

• rocalarocala Explorer

From the article referred to in the OP.

"In the Anattalakkhana Sutta, Buddha talks about a continuing existence....[When] the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones grows disenchanted with form, disenchanted with feeling, disenchanted with perception, disenchanted with fabrications, disenchanted with consciousness [Hodgson – thus disenchanted with the skandhas]. Disenchanted, he becomes dispassionate. Through dispassion, he is fully released. With full release, there is the knowledge, ‘Fully released.’ He discerns that ‘Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'”

If there is nothing beyond the aggragates, who/what is discerning that birth is ended?

• rootsroots Veteran
    edited July 2015

I always just assumed the concept of a soul was beyond my human reasoning - just as much as eternity.

When I was really searching for the answer to if I really had a soul, my underlying motivation was really my natural fear of death - If I could prove I was eternal I couldn't need to fear absolution.

One day I walked up to death and I was like "Bro, you are destine, so I wont be haunted by your eventuality, and I also wont deny your existence, or ignore your benefits. "

When I had dealt with death I didn't need to prove my eternal nature. When I am to die, if I become a Buddha, or if the molecules of my brain only decompose back into the earth and an elemental cycle, so what? Either way I'm eternal. Hence the grace that comes from the acceptance of impermanence.

Are we searching for the soul, or the guarantee of the preservation of self? Sounds primordial to me. Who's asking the question anyways, the monkey mind or our spiritual nature?

And of course I now realise my own soul when I practice - I glimpse it for a few moments when I meditate - ironically of course, now that I realise our friendship is actually quite enjoyable, if unnecessary.

HamsakaVastmind0student0

@rocala said: If there is nothing beyond the aggragates, who/what is discerning that birth is ended?

You tell me.... what do YOU think...?

@rocala said:> If there is nothing beyond the aggragates, who/what is discerning that birth is ended?

This Dhamma Wheel discussion on consciousness without surface might be of interest:
    http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=609

Dakini
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    He said that basically such discussion is irrelevant and not conducive to progress along the path.

^^^ I agree and as such, don't waste energy trying to find out if it's true nor argue with the whole interwebz about it either. Trying to grasp the 4 Noble Truths and follow the Eightfold Noble Path is work enough for me.

One definite good thing that has come out of my stumbling along the Path - I don't have to be right. No one does. The less we focus on that, the happier we'll be./

Just my 0.02 denarii
    _ /\ _

lobsterrootsmmo
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2015

This is so interesting! Lots of food for thought, here. And it just goes to show how crucial it is to have an accurate translation, if we're to understand the Buddha's teachings correctly.

Also, arriving at an accurate understanding of "consciousness" is important, because some of the Mahayana schools do seem to go out on a limb with their teachings on the subject, coming close to giving consciousness a meaning bordering on "soul".

Thanks for posting this. There's a lot to digest, there. And I assume that the "Jason" posting authoritatively there, is our very own "Jason"?

Yes, that's right. It is all quite complicated, with different nuances across the schools. In the Lankavatara Sutra for example alaya-vijnana ( store consciousness ) is translated as "universal mind". Sometimes people want to push Buddhist ideas in the direction of Advaita, sometimes people tend to impose theistic ideas, consciously or unconsciously.

Yup. He do get around, that boy..... :)

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    I bet nobody at Dhammawheel ever links in to OUR discussions.....)

Tee hee. Just been told I am disrespectful and have no sense of humour by our erstwhile moderators on Dhammawheel. :3

I think I will have to try harder. O.o

Just sharing ... and now back to the elusive soul ... o:)

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Interesting @lobster Usually my accusers say I'm disrespectful and my sense of humour is over-developed. :awesome:

Earthninjalobstersilver
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    Yes, that's right. It is all quite complicated, with different nuances across the schools. In the Lankavatara Sutra for example alaya-vijnana ( store consciousness ) is translated as "universal mind". Sometimes people want to push Buddhist ideas in the direction of Advaita, sometimes people tend to impose theistic ideas, consciously or unconsciously.

Ooh, I didn't know this! No wonder debates sometimes rage re: "alaya vijnana"! It's really a key concept in the Mahayana.

• rocalarocala Explorer

Many thanks for this. I have had some time to go through this but need more to make a real study. So far I am I agree with Dakini. Also grateful for the intro to Dhammawheel.

@federica said: You tell me.... what do YOU think...?

Some people were quick to write that this is irrelevant or not conducive. Well maybe it is not helpful on the path but this was posted in Buddhist Basics and it just might be helpful in actually choosing a path. I THINK that a little bit of thinking outside of the box might be useful for one or two here.

Earthninja
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Just realised I have not posted on Dhammawheel for years :3
    I was confused with their offspring which is tantra orientated.

Must visit sometime and remember to treat them like theravadin elders and not unicyclists at a hinayana circus conference. We are the Sangha Borg. Resistence is futile. You will be head shaved and assimulated.

Too wikid? :p

Must be kind to the dharma police ... Must be kind to the dharma police ... Must be kind to the dharma police ...

WalkerEarthninjaCinorjer
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

They were right @lobster you don't have a sense of humour!

ShoshinWalkerlobster

@lobster said: Just realised I have not posted on Dhammawheel for years :3
    I was confused with their offspring which is tantra orientated.

Now you're muddling up your vehicles? Tut tut! ;)

lobster

@Dakini said:Ooh, I didn't know this! No wonder debates sometimes rage re: "alaya vijnana"! It's really a key concept in the Mahayana.

There seems to be a debate about whether it's an individual or universal consciousness, I thought the former, but then what do I know.
    Though with my Theravada hat on I'd suggest that the 7th and 8th types of consciousness were only added on to support later Yogachara interpretations.... ;)

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    Now you're muddling up your vehicles? Tut tut!

:)
    Well said.

I have to remember I get to keep my body vehicle for as long as I live

But ...

When I die and my body dissolves, up comes a unique set of wonderment or Ms De Ville, the infernal and eternally naughty and says 'OK Crusty, you had your sardines - off to the hell realms with you.'
    Says I, 'Surely as a Buddhist I get to reinkarma-nate?'
    ... and she sends me right back as a red herring ...

No pleasing some wikidees ...

edited July 2015

@SpinyNorman said:

I could be missing something but I don't think we could have one without the other in some degree.

That being subjective or universal consciousness, not necessarily "self" as defined by something unchanging or abiding.