Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New? Introduce Yourself to NB Members!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Devon is a beautiful location... No wonder you're so serene and contented - surroundings have a lot to do with it! Welcome, nice to have a fellow Brit aboard....! :) .

• Oh!!! Sigh of relief! I have been lurking around on this site for a week and was totally intimidated by the posts. I felt very much out-of-place and out-of-touch because I lacked so much knowledge. Then I read Brian's introduction to the New Buddhist site.

"Hi! NewBuddhist is a discussion community catered to those (primarily Westerners who were not raised with Buddhism) who are either curious about Buddhism or interested in becoming a Buddhist. I'll re-post something I wrote earlier on the subject:"

"Just to clarify: This site is not about any 'New Buddhism'"

"I started this site for people, specifically Westerners, who have zero experience with Buddhism. I'm talking utter ignorance like my dear, sweet, departed grandmother who thought Buddhists were orange-robed Christians—her worldview literally couldn't comprehend a non-Christian existence." 

Thank you, Brian!

Here is my story...and, I promise, it won't be an epic. I hope.

I am very new to Buddhism. I have been reading books about it from the library and a lot from the internet. I only know one Buddhist, my nephew, and he is not very communicative. I have met one nun and she was the bitchiest person I ever met. We (my husband and I) live in a remote part of the desert (no neighbors for 3 miles) and only go into the big city for supplies. It is almost impossible to commit to joining any groups there because of our distance.

By profession, I am a fine (not a judgment) artist, and am a 'loner' except for my husband and furkids (2 dogs and 1 cat plus desert critters). When I am not drawing, painting or working on our house (we are building our own from indigenous materials), I read or sit on the porch enjoying the peace of the desert and the sunsets. I am 76 years older (I don't really believe we are 'old' until that last second after expiration), practice yoga and walking in the desert.

I ceased being a Catholic when I began my education at the University. I looked for a new spirituality but did not uncover one that I felt met my needs. I continued my search and found I had spirituality all along. I just did not know the name. I did not believe in a god, referring to myself as a non-theist, but wanted 'something' to fill a void of a commitment. About 3 or 4 years ago, there was a crisis and I needed to find peace within myself. Through exploration, Buddhism, I knew, filled those needs.

Jack Kornfield and Pema Chodron have been my CD mentors along with several others and inspirational individuals like Clarissa Pinkola Estes to help me through understanding my developing monkey-mind (I love that term and have done several drawings, which includes Bonobos, about it). I meditate daily and keep a journal. I have not made any formal commitments to Buddhism. Rules scare me but I am full agreement with the Noble Paths.

Meditation is not easy. Well, yes it is, if only I could keep the mm quiet while I follow my breath. I just bought a Cosmic Cushion hoping it will at least keep my body quiet. Oddly, I do not have trouble concentrating when I am working on my art but what is it about concentrating on my breath only that causes me to wander?

This Forum is a god-send (sorry) and I honestly read as much as I can even though I have not yet commented.

Namaste.

Cinorjer
  • Apologies for not posting the quote correctly. Someday, I won't be such a newbie! Gak!

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi @Dreds! Welcome.......it sounds like you know a lot more about Buddhism than you mentioned in your first post :)

Jack Kornfield is also a personal favourite of mine!

Don't be scared to ask questions or make comments. We are a pretty friendly bunch.

Good luck on your journey. I find the most important thing is to be patient and kind to yourself and others.

• I have been studying Buddhism for one year and I joined this group a few months ago. I live in Wisconsin with my husband and three cats. I discovered Buddhism at the darkest point in my life following a severe hip and back injury that stopped me in my tracks. I feel such gratitude because Buddhism has given me the greatest joy I have ever felt. I am awake. I am developing compassion and wisdom by practicing mindfulness, meditation and have learned so much from so many greats Buddhist teachers, either in books or listening to Dharma talks and from talking with a few friends and fellow Buddhists. Every day brings a new revelation. Seeing reality has made a huge difference in my life. I have never felt so connected with others and joyful.

I look forward to getting to know many of you here and I thank you for some of the excellent wisdom you have already offered to me since I joined this wonderful group.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A very warm welcome to both @Dreds‌ and @Carrieryman‌.
    Thank you for joining us and contributing to the fray. Good to have you here. Hope you'll both become regulars - all contributions are welcome, and never avoid posting when you need a reply. We'll comply.
    We can't say you'll agree to everything, like everything or accept everything. That's entirely up to you. But it's never dull around here! :D .

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

Wow! Interesting stories @Dreds and @Carrieryman.
    Can't wait to hear your contributions!
    And no intimidations around here.
    We all have different voices and life experiences, and we can all learn from each other.
    Nothing is too menial or too insignificant.

• Thank you @Bunks, @federica, and @DhammaDragon for your welcome and comments. I feel impoverished in my readings and scattered in my thoughts about Buddhism. I am enjoying and learning here but I have one request that may not be appropriate. Is there a way that I can refuse badges? As a former teacher and student at the University, I disliked posted obligatory grades and I believe it creates comparisons which I am trying to avoid for myself.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Dreds said:
    Thank you Bunks, federica, and DhammaDragon for your welcome and comments. I feel impoverished in my readings and scattered in my thoughts about Buddhism. I am enjoying and learning here but I have one request that may not be appropriate. Is there a way that I can refuse badges? As a former teacher and student at the University, I disliked posted obligatory grades and I believe it creates comparisons which I am trying to avoid for myself.

Probably not sorry @Dreds. The only thing I will say is that I have NEVER experienced anyone on this site use badges as some kind of status symbol over another poster. Just ignore them if you can.

Nerima

@Dreds, I don't even look at mine. It's just a way of the forum founder appreciating your contributions, but it's not a status symbol, or a way to gather one-upmanship. To be perfectly honest, I've been a Mod on here for 9 years now, and nobody has ever, in my whole time here, paraded their badge status as a comparison with that of others. Frankly, it's a no issue deal. In fact, I believe - other than asking what they're for, and a forthcoming explanation from Admin - you're the only person who's even referred to them! :D .

• @how‌
    Ok, I confess. I already purchased a NB hoodie and have embroidered my paltry number of badges down the right sleeve. Soon I expect to be the envy of our entire frontier town come parade day.

BunksNerimastaceylobster

That's mah gurl.....

• NerimaNerima Veteran
    edited January 2015

Hello, and thank you for allowing me here.

New York has been my home for the past 35 years. Before coming to NY I grew up in different Asian countries, and Buddhism has always had a presence in my life. It wasn't until last year I've come to embrace Buddhism.

Recent life events have opened my eyes to the karma in my life (both good and bad), and I now know just how fortunate I am to finally open my eyes to Buddhism.

I look forward to learning from all of you, and I hope I can contribute in my small way.

lobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hi to all the newbies!! Come on in..... Kitchen is straight ahead....bathroom on the right...most
    Of us just hang around the living room shootin' the shit....and bein'
    About Buddha. .......

• Hi! I'm Gerry Stribling from Louisville, KY, former Marine and social worker. I had the honor of studying with some eminent monks during a six month stat in Sri Lanka. I have a book coming out next summer from Wisdom Publications called "Buddhism for Dudes."

lobsterracerska
  • Hey I'm from Bloomington, IN. I'm a wife, mother, and college student. I am looking forward to seeing all the advice that I can't seem to find anywhere else.
    lobster
  • Good Morning (to me that is), everyone. I am from Alaska and currently reside here with my husband and our two kids who are 12 and 10. You could say I am new to Buddhism, even though I have dabbled here and there in it over the past couple of years. I have noticed lately that my spiritual side has begun to be pushed to the back burner due to current stressful situations and I am trying to find that balance again. My interests besides Buddhism include reading, listening to music, encouraging my kids, coffees, helping others, vegetarianism/veganism, activism, and talking to like minded people. Unfortunately, over the past few years I haven't been able to find a lot of other like minded individuals. Hence, the stumbling across this forum. I'm looking forward to reading, hearing, discussing with you all. There will be times that I will not have access to the internet, since where we live the connection can be unstable. We have tried numerous companies, and they all tell us the same thing. So if I don't respond back quickly, please keep that in mind. Thank you and Namaste.

Bunkslobster
  • Heeeeey everybody. I'm not "new," but I did disappear for awhile, so just popping in and dropping another hello. It seems I go through phases where I crave community, despite being the lurkiest of lurkers.

I've continued my studies the last year and a half, but I still have a long way to go. So. Yes. That's it. I hope I find all of you well!

SarahTBunksCinorjer

Welcome, welcome, welcome, welcome!

Oh yes, and welcome too!!

One and all, nice to have you here! Thank you for joining us!

(excuse the damp towels in the bathroom - dogs will jump into puddles!!)

Vastmind
  • Hello, my name is Nate, I'm 37 and I live in Seattle, WA USA. I have studied various aspects of Buddhism my entire life, but now I am enterin serious practice. I attend the Shambhala center here in Seattle. I look forward to meeting all of you!

BunksCinorjer
  • Welcome @Amthorn Pretty cool place here. I enjoy the unique collection of members that we have. So many different life experiences and view points are shared.

AmthornVastmind
  • @mfranzdorf said:
    Welcome Amthorn Pretty cool place here. I enjoy the unique collection of members that we have. So many different life experiences and view points are shared.

Thanks for the welcome!

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

Welcome @Amthorn‌ , please feel free to join in whenever.

Amthornlobster
  • NichyNichy Explorer

Hello Everyone, my name is Nichy, i'm 39yrs old, from Tampa, fl. I've been studying Buddhism since 2004, I stumble on this website while i was looking for community that I can talk about Buddhism. So far I really enjoyed the conversation within this website.

Morningstar
  • JohnMacJohnMac Dr Scotland Veteran

Hi everyone, I'm John and I live on the island of Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands. I've been hovering around the edges of Buddhism for a few years, and recently I've decided to take the plunge and do something about it. I do look forward to contributing where I can, however I suspect I'll be asking more than answering! Many thanks for adding me.

lobster
  • BoruBoru Explorer

Hi, I'm Brian. I've been reading a lot of threads on here for a while. Just soaking up the wisdom some insightful contributors have made.

lobster
  • thug4lyfethug4lyfe Explorer

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of 14 a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking... I highly suggest you try it.

Jeffrey
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

LOL @thug4lyfe !

Hi all. I've had an interest in Buddhism for a long time.

I was raised in a quite devout Christian setting, Roman Catholic until I was 12, when my parents converted to a form of Christianity I'd best describe as evangelical literalist fundamentalist. My siblings and their families mostly still subscribe to this belief system, though some are more liberal.

I guess it's fair to say I'm the black sheep of the family. ;) I haven't attended church for many years, and I have come to the conclusion that I don't buy the package that mainstream Christianity is trying to sell.

I started practicing Hatha Yoga and meditating following the advice of a therapist I was seeing to help with anxiety that I was dealing with. This led me to start reading more about Buddhism. I've been reading a lot of Stephen Batchelor (I guess that goes with my sceptical nature!). But I'm not quite ready to describe myself as a Secular Buddhist, or Buddhist Agnostic, or whatever.

I do have a strong interest in Zen, and there is a local group that follows the Soto tradition, so I'm thinking I may check them out.

I'm looking forward to spending some time here and getting to know you better.

Namaste :)

lobster
  • Hello all! My name is Kelly. My husband and I recently developed an interested in Buddhism. We found a local group for meditation practice and support but there are only 5 of us (we live in a very small southern town). I have been doing a lot of reading & I believe this forum will help us on our path.

Look forward to chatting with you all!

lobster
  • Hello,

My name is Nick, and I am very new to Buddhism. I am currently serving in the military, which is actually how I was introduced to Buddhism in the first place (A soldier that roomed with me in Basic was an active member in the SGI).

I am a veteran of the various forms of Christian practice, and have come to the conclusion that peace cannot come out of fear.

I am currently exploring Zen, but am open to other forms. After all, I am very new.

All that said, I look forward to chatting with everyone!

lobster
  • NichyNichy Explorer

@Inspirational_Name welcome to the group

• ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

Hello everyone,
    My name is Adam. I am also very new to Buddhism. I've been interested in Buddhism since I was 1999, but, am only now actively pursuing. I am a US Army veteran with PTSD, anxiety, and depression; I was recently at a treatment program for those conditions and I was introduced to mindfulness, which is what led me to where I am now. I live in a small town with no Buddhist resources for at least 80 miles, so, online is my primary learning avenue. I was raised Roman Catholic, but, it never felt right.

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and I look forward to learning more.

lobster
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I do need to correct my introduction post. I have just (today) discovered a group in my town!

Vastmind
  • Hello, my name is Lisa and i live in the UK, i am very new to buddhism but have been meditating for a while. I have so much to learn but hopefully i can pick up bits and pieces as i go along from you all.

Walkerlobster
    edited July 2015

Hi @sparkle1 . Nice to meet you.

Walker

@sparkle1 Welcome.

• mazatmanmazatman La Paz. BCS, México New

¡Hola!. My name is Rod. I am a recovering software developer. I live in Baja California Sur, México.

About 6 months ago I was singing and playing the ukulele, karaoke style; I believe it was the tune "Ghost Riders In the Sky" that caused my neighbour to start hammering on our adjoining wall. Being a considerate neighbour I decided it was time to lay off the uke in the evenings and find something else to practice. It was then I re-discovered meditation.

I had tried meditation back in the day when it was hard to find any information that you could really sink your teeth into, I eventually gave up. Now, thanks to the internet and those who contribute to it I have more than I can eat.

My daily meditations have contributed to my new sense of calmness and awareness. This morning at the organic market there was a lady in front of me at the checkout. She had one of those little plastic coin holders that some folks like, you squeeze it the right way and it opens like a taco. Anyhoo, being a considerate like myself she took forever in order to find the right change for the convenience of the merchant. She was completely amused each time she pulled out the wrong coin. I was amazed by my new calmness and while I was sharing in her joy I really started to look around and tried to be more mindful of my surrounding. I caught I eye of the merchant and we smiled, then I noticed for the first time that he had freshly baked sourdough bread which turned out to be delicious plus I had a healthy carrot/beet drink while I was waiting. Have a nice day, I did.

Hasta luego

lobsterWalkerVastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Hi Rod, fellow ghost riders, <3

My name is Lobster and I am new here. In fact I am new everywhere according to the 'never entering the same river twice' dharma principle. ;)

Glad to have more people to lurk amongst, interact wit with, learn from and share life recipes.

• Hi everyone,

My name is Alicia. I recently became a member. Reading some of the posts has intimidated me a little, as I am not as knowledgeable about Buddhism. Nonetheless, I am really excited to learn and share.

• Long time lurker here, joining the crew. Looking forward to everyone's posts!

WalkerVastmindsilver
  • Hi everyone, my name is Clare, from London. Years ago I was an active member on BuddhaChat.org but have since fallen off the path. I recently re-read Eckhardt Tolle's The Power of Now which has re-ignited the seed. Looking forward to joining this wonderful community once again!

Walker
    edited July 2015

Hi @KarmaTsultrimPalden! ... Did that work? I tried typing your name and just said forget it...I'm pastin', hahaha....You'll be getting a nickname from me for sure, hahaha ..see you around...

KarmaTsultrimPalden
  • @Vastmind said:
    Hi KarmaTsultrimPalden! ... Did that work? I tried typing your name and just said forget it...I'm pastin', hahaha....You'll be getting a nickname from me for sure, hahaha ..see you around...

Haha, it certainly did, @Vastmind. Thank you for the response. Feel free to call me KTP :) or any other nickname you come up with.

• Hey all. I recently took the 8 Lifetime Precepts at a Buddhist monastery I have been going to for years after things in my life took a terrible tumble from addiction and heedlessness. I had to face the fact that after decades of thinking I understood the teachings, I wasn't really living them. So back to the beginning for me, with an emphasis on maintaining the precepts and understanding where I wandered and got lost. I live in the Appalachian hills and am waiting to start writing songs again for the weekend folk trio I play in. Muses, pls come back! Came to this group as i realized I needed more Sangha, more kalyana mittas (spiritual friends) and a whole lot more spiritual discipline. I write, shoot videos. Making ammends and seeking the confluence between the 12 Steps and the 8 Fold Path. I hope there are other Stumblebum Buddhists in this forum. Metta to all.

VastmindWalkerMorningstar

Hi @Dhammika ...... Come on in ..... Nice to meet you. =)

• Welcome. You will find everyone from Dharma geeks to the Stumblebum Buddhists and all are equal. You will find even the geeks are sometimes Stumblebums as well.

• Some how I overlooked this thread. I suppose I should say something about myself. The basics, I am a female, married, mother, living in the south, and had a decent job until I moved down here. I grew up here. The culture is kind of very paternalistic. There isn't much room for people who question the culture or are looking to find the path that best suits them.

Many years of stress, the last one being one of the worst yet, led me on a mission to find inner peace. I was brought up a little Christian and for many years spent a lot of time with like minded people. I outgrew them I guess. Religion didn't teach me tools to deal with life's struggles or stress. It gave me faith but faith, with no other tool than prayer. Prayer is good but what if someone had said "breathe and pray." I always wondered why I couldn't obtain all the peace others claimed they had. They said to me "just pray more and trust God."

Witnessing a death brought me here. I found guided meditation and it helped to heal me from the trauma. I am interested in the side of Buddhism (if there is any) that helps me to be free. I am not interested in dogma, rules, none of that...just the peace that comes with being present. I'm just here, along for the ride, occasionally reading, and learning to be fine with the fact that I reject a lot of labeling people around me find essential.

Walker
  • racerskaracerska Indiana, USA Explorer

Hello Everyone,
    I've been practicing Buddhism for about a year but only have been "serious" (if that's the right word) about meditation since this summer.

I live in Indiana in the USA, and was surprised to discover that there's a Theravada temple not far from where I live, run by monks from Sri Lanka. (Surprised, because this area is not really known for it's diversity.) I've been attending the Metta meditation sessions there weekly for a while now, and I participated in the Kathina celebrations just a couple weeks ago. Despite this, I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a Theravada Buddhist, I don't confine my practice to any one tradition.

I grew up in the midwestern USA in a Christian household, but even as a kid I felt I was an outsider to that faith. I "discovered" Buddhism as a young adult but have only recently started following the path (as a not-quite-as-young adult).

I'm a college professor, and I completed my PhD just last year. I'm currently searching for gainful full time employment.

I came to New Buddhist because it seemed everytime I googled a question about Buddhism, the top of the search list was a thread on this site. Figured with such a wealth of knowledge, I should probably join up.

Walker