Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is Tara in any sense real?

When we chant the Tara mantra are we connecting to some kind of presence or energy? Or is it just a mantra?

http://gayatriclab.com/2011/10/the-power-of-tara-mantra-“om-tare-tuttare-ture-swaha”-for-daily-protection/

Comments

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited August 2015

@SpinyNorman said:
    When we chant the Tara mantra are we connecting to some kind of presence or energy? Or is it just a mantra?

http://gayatriclab.com/2011/10/the-power-of-tara-mantra-“om-tare-tuttare-ture-swaha”-for-daily-protection/

From my view I feel there is a spirit of Tara. Not like an individual soul of a goddess or something but just a frame of mind and/or being.

I sometimes try to envision the qualities Tara or Ganesha represent and by calling on them I am trying to water the seeds of those qualities in mind.

To me, Tara is about healing more than anything else and Ganesha removes obstacles in the path. They just seem to naturally go together for me.

You're likely to get many views on this. Should be interesting.

Buddhadragon
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@lobster said: We are aligning with, attuning to, resonating and amplifying a range of archetypal qualities. Do examples and similar attributes exist outside of individual self? Yes.

I do feel a sense of connection, I'm not sure what with though.

• ^^^ Maybe the nature of the connection has changed ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/19282/yidams-are-they-real

Talking about what is the manifestation of an abstraction is not simple. The idea of inside and external is rather nebulous. The connection is real, with what and ultimately from what, is not as definable as we might think ...

• My teacher told me not to mess with god's world. Unlike Buddha's world ( in which we human belong ), that side is vertical relationship and you will be serving them and lose yourself, this could be forever life after life.

• howhow Veteran Veteran

As Lobster suggests...

I think this question is best answered when one examines who is actually doing the Tara chanting or mantra recitation.

Invincible_summerBuddhadragon

And who is doing it?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I connect with a sense of power, compassion, generosity, wisdom and Heart.

This may be of interest....

One evening, while meditating and reciting the Tara mantra, I attempted to visualise a person, an image... something with which I could mentally-visually connect.... and it's an amazing thing the mind... sometimes it will surprise you...

All I could manage was a distinctly androgynous figure... a being that seemed neither one thing (female) nor the other (male)... the face was indistinct.... I couldn't pin a definite physiognomy down (the brain cannot 'invent' faces....) but the physique was statuesque, honed, well-defined and energetic....

This was mildly frustrating, until the memory surfaced.
    The memory of Tara's vow to always be reborn as a woman, due to the misplaced (if well-intentioned) comments regarding her rebirth as a male being more fortunate....

And a weird conclusion came to me: There was no point in trying to visualise a specific female form. Nor a male one come to that.
    Because a Buddha is 'sexless'. There is neither a need for gender identification, nor a requirement.
    To stipulate either is a to falter, and to immediately express a preference.
    And a Buddha is not a subject for such mundane preferences.

Once I realised what my mind had conjured up, of its own apparent accord, I settled down and just visualised a form, sat in meditation, and poised to hold, embrace and rush to support and assist.
    And that was of immense comfort.

Buddhadragon

I don't do any visualisation these days, I find it a distraction.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

No, I agree. I usually end up with a blank mental space, so actually, I gave that up too....

• howhow Veteran Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:
    And who is doing it?

Is there anyone else to ask?

• ShimShim Veteran

"She knows she's not real."

• from a koan about Kuanyin
    Buddhadragon
  • OP, do you mean, was Tara ever a real, historic person, like the Buddha? Aside from the Tibetan king's Chinese wife, who inspired the Tara image, I don't think so. But Tibetan Buddhism (I'm not sure we can generalize this to all of the Mahayana) was heavily influenced by pre-Buddhist goddess worship. So, take the Tara meditations to be helpful visualizations and a good exercise for furthering your practice and developing compassion. Things don't always need to be understood literally.

silver
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    I don't do any visualisation these days, I find it a distraction.

If you meet Tara on the road do you kill her ... Or is that reserved for Buddhas ...
    http://www.dailybuddhism.com/archives/670

... Meanwhile Tara with Balls ...

silver
    edited August 2015

@how said:Is there anyone else to ask?

Is that a koan? I'm not very good at those!

Walkersilver
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@lobster said: "... Meanwhile Tara with Balls ..."

Those aren't balls. It's the moon and the sun...isn't it? (You always find (or do) the most interesting artwork.)
    :grin:

My forum name on another forum, IS 'TaraMaiden'... so in THAT sense, I think yes, 'she' is real.... ;)

• @silver said:
    Those aren't balls. It's the moon and the sun...isn't it? (You always find (or do) the most interesting artwork.)

many thanks :)
    It could be sun and moon but I believe this is the Acacia Tara and they are stylised utpala blue lotus flowers ...

• I don't think I completely understand, but we are all interconnected and nothing exists in of itself. Even WE are not who we think we are in this life and do not exist, at least in the sense that the self is nowhere to be found inside this body of ours. We only seem to connect, resonate, align with our bodies current characteristics of existence. I think that when we meditate we can see passed those illusions and can connect and align ourselves with higher more enlightened characteristics of existence like Tara. But, I don't believe Tara exists literally like in the paintings. I think those are just representations and symbolic imagery that attempt to give us an idea of what that enlightened energy is like.

So, I think tara is real and exists only as much as we are real and exist, and I think that is what Koan that Shim referred to means when it says

@Shim said:
    "She knows she's not real."

• from a koan about Kuanyin

Because any enlightened being would know they are not "real",
    But these are just my thoughts and interpretation of it.

lobsterShimDavidEarthninja
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I think Tara in part represents the woman that found Buddha under his tree and gave him rice.

No reason other than a feeling.

WalkerBuddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@ourself said:
    To me, Tara is about healing more than anything else and Ganesha removes obstacles in the path. They just seem to naturally go together for me.

@ourself has mentioned the two beings I feel more affinity for.
    I can't explain exactly how I view them, since I don't believe in God, for instance.
    Tara is a bodhisattva and Ganesha an archetype.
    I guess we humans need to visualize certain archetypal virtues in order to better relate to them.
    I did a Green Tara initiation several years ago because somehow I felt it would help me better tune into her energy.
    This is my favourite image of Green Tara, and how I view her during my prayers.

Davidlobstermmo
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran
    edited August 2015

-In my opinion, as a metaphor yes, as a mantra yes and as a means to focus energy yes...

lobster
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited August 2015

@DhammaDragon This is my favourite image of Green Tara

She look little bit drowsy :P

mmoEarthninja

Some interesting responses. While in Tibetan Buddhism I met quite a few people who thought of Tara as a real presence ( entity? ). Do you see any disadvantages in this assumption?

@SpinyNorman said:
    Some interesting responses. While in Tibetan Buddhism I met quite a few people who thought of Tara as a real presence ( entity? ). Do you see any disadvantages in this assumption?

I thought I'd be able to think of a few right off the bat but I don't seem to be able to.

I'm trying to co-relate this with the Dalai Lama and the assumption that he is the real deal. If she is a real presence or entity then she could be here right now helping somebody and it doesn't take away from any other ways to see Tara.

I love this one....

mmoEarthninjalobsterBuddhadragon
  • @federica said:
    I love this one....!

Where's that one from?

• @SpinyNorman said:

Yes. Sanctioned and approved insanity.

If Tara as seen as a skilful embodiment of an archetype, a valuable representation ... all well and good.

Jesus/Speghetti monster in heaven = nonsense. Tara in Pureland = similar nonsense.

Delusion is ignorance and nothing to do with Tara Truth.

Except no substitutes. Use your delusional capacity as a means to the real not a perpetuation of ignorance and superstition ...

... here is a semi wrathful Tara. What a doll ...

OM TARA TUTARE TURE SOHA
    (no conjurations were harmed, molested or disrespected in this post ...)

Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited August 2015

I don't mean any harm to anyone or their beliefs....but I'm with the crustacean on this one. I think it helps some people to put a face to the intention...but It can be a fine line...

@Dakini said: Where's that one from?

I found it as an image, ages ago, just googling Green Tara.... She's also on my phone as background....

• It is a fine line.

When I was taught the Tantric 21 Tara practice, the visualisation involves a call up procedure of wrathful manifestations of Tara, where she has Kali like dancing on skulls fiery demon/obstacle basher forms. What a gal!
    http://chantamantra.com/index.php/mantra/10-mantras-to-the-21-taras

This is an open practice, no initiation or lama required. It covers the whole range of Tantra.

With instruction the visualisation and absorption of the (green Tara for starters) is treated as if real with great intensity, focus and faith in her reality. When dismissed at the end with a click of the fingers, she is seen as a fantasy bubble with no reality ...

There is even a 22 form of Tara. Come to think of it an infinute number of formed emptinesses ...

@lobster said: Sanctioned and approved insanity.Jesus/Speghetti monster in heaven = nonsense. Tara in Pureland = similar nonsense.

So anyone who thinks of Tara as real is insane and delusional? Oh well.

• ^^^ I would say ignorant, delusional and partially insane. Does not mean they can not function as sleep walkers, as ignorant or with temporary fabrications ...

edited August 2015

We're all delusional. Thinking we're not is just another symptom.

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Dakini said:
    Where's that one from?

This Green Tara is by Chinese artist Zheng Hao, and it appears in Australian healer Alana Fairchild's deck of cards called "Kuan Yin Oracle."