Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Music that cheers you up

NamadaNamada Veteran
edited September 2015 in General Banter

What kind of music cheers you up?

Please share, music can be healing ;)

ShoshinsilverrobotAzulaliciammoVastmind

Comments

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I discovered this song on a cd of Bananarama's that I decided to listen to all the songs I skipped one day recently, and discovered their Spanish/flamenco take of an old song, Long Train Running. I found it today on yt, I could live without the video I love the Spanish/flamenco take - just like the one done by the Eagles for Hotel California which I haven't been able to spot yet on line.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YLiPH1S1cVQ

I keep forgetting how to do the video so it shows up.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited September 2015

Perhaps a bit treacly, not to mention old, but....

AND, as always, Beethoven ...

NamadaVastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited September 2015

Osibisa Criss-cross rhythms that explode into HAPPINESS :)

"Woyaya"

Sunshine Day

lobsterVastmindsilver
  • Azulalicia
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Gosh, so many.... 'Happy', 'I get knocked down (but I get up again)' 'Always a woman to me', 'classical gas'... [That one gets me skippin' and dancin' in the sitting room.... actually they all do.... 'A summer place' (reminds me of sunny holidays in Italy) 'Stay with me', 'Duelling Banjos' (this one's great fun - a slight variation form the usual version, but worth watching!)

Hope you enjoy them as much as I do....

silver
  • Yes I rather like 'happy', here is the minions karaoke version:

mmoVastmindNamadasilver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

:lol:

silver
  • For me music is a mood changer. From jazz to classic. Ambient to birdsong. Pop to reggea. World music to ... B)

What a great thread <3

VastmindNamadasilver
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Yipeeeeee!!! I'm about to explode! As lobster explains above....I listen to everything. Music ministers to me.

I'll try to contain myself, afterall, I did just come off a music sabbatical hahaha

My happy playlist usually includes old school dance jams...once my hips get happy...the rest follows, hahaha. The first one I played after my break was Kurtis Blow, The breaks...

" ... Kurtis took the idea for this song to his producers, J.B. Moore and Robert Ford. J.B. came up with the concept of other implied meanings for "breaks," like brakes on a bus or a car, good breaks or bad breaks in life. Says Kurtis: "He referred back to this old song, a philosophy song, I think it came out in 1920 or something, where a guy was talking, saying - 'Oh, your girlfriend left you, and you lost your job and your car got towed away, well don't worry, tomorrow the sun will shine and everything will be alright' - good breaks and bad breaks can happen in life, but don't worry because there's always another tomorrow. We wanted to repeat that concept and have the many meanings within one song. We put it together and had the greatest musicians play - John Tropea on guitar, Jimmy Bralower on drums, Larry Smith, who went on to produce Run-D.M.C. and Whoodini played the bass, Denzil Miller on keyboard."

The percussion and changes are nasty!! You guys aren't ready...hahahaha

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

@Shosin .... Whaaaaat? No you didn't!!!!! It's on now!!!!

I'll be hitting repeat on those little babies all day.....

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Oh gosh, early in my life, my b/f at the time (9 yrs older than me) used to play n sing songs like this, which gets my middle movin', heheh:

• This nice pop song definetely cheers up!

• And the number one mood lifter.

Invincible_summer
  • KarikoPuppiesKarikoPuppies Veteran
    edited September 2015

Music was my dream and a reason for coming to America, it took a long time to realize that I have no musical talent. I've learned to love all kinds of music though, which I am very thankful. There are so many songs and music that I love but I stopped listening to music for a while, except for this one that I listen to when I am really down. sort of a guilty pleasure. Not sure how to post the youtube link? do I need html?

silverInvincible_summer
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

This song called Pictures of You by The Cure always seems to cheer me up.

PöljäInvincible_summer
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2015

Namadabookworm

Ka ching Ka Ching (sweet music to the ears of a shop owner)

Vastmind
  • Bring on the dancing ...

Namadasilvermmo
  • NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited September 2015

This Parrot loves Elvis (he really takes off at 1.39)

silverWalkerCinorjermmo

I think the one on the left is Genkaku. :awesome:

Sheer Enjoyment "The world's oldest flash mob" Auckland NZ ( Happiness is contagious)

silver
  • @bookworm said:
    This song called Pictures of You by The Cure always seems to cheer me up.

"Plainsong" cheers me up even more :) . The best The Cure song? Maybe "A Letter to Elise".

bookworm

"Plainsong" is pure awesome, I've listened to it a lot, its my favorite song by them.

• @bookworm said:
    "Plainsong" is pure awesome, I've listened to it a lot, its my favorite song by them.

"Disintegration" is a whole masterpiece. And "Wish" is almost as good :) . Depeche Mode, Portishead... Dark but still cheering music.

bookworm

Disintegration is a well put together album by The Cure, but my favorite album is by Tool, and their album called Lateralus.

edited September 2015

This song is called Lateralus from the album Lateralus by Tool is fantastic.

Invincible_summer
  • Zydeco - Louisiana/Cajun folk music.

• @bookworm said:
    This song is called Lateralus from the album Lateralus by Tool is fantastic.

Lateralus is a great song I like a lot & I've listened number of times. For me it's their second best song after Sober.

bookworm
  • A must :) .

bookwormInvincible_summer
  • Seasick Steve

Cinorjermmo

Well I guess this has to be on the list "Happy"

Walker
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2015

Cinorjer

This came up in my noodle, and even though it has anti-war sentiments, heh, it's a sweet song - love this melody:

Walker
  • Cinorjer
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

First thing that comes to mind when I think of happy music...
    Katrina & The Waves - Walking on Sunshine

And something more recent -
    Nerina Pallot - Put Your Hands Up

WalkerNamadalobsterCinorjer
  • I just learned about these people tonight.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2015

Interesting the miscegenated [new word for lobster] diversity. American country music from Bob Dylan to 'The Soggy Bottom Boys' ...
    ... from a great film ... hey am I in the right thread ... B)

Take it away boys ...

CinorjernakazcidInvincible_summerNamada
  • Cheer up music? Ain't nothin' gonna beat some good pi-an-no boogie woogie when it's played right. Here's a good one. Don't know how many times I've listened to it.

robotNamada
  • Old school punk <3 I saw Stiff Little Fingers on stage here in my home city in 1979. Though not the same gig:

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited October 2015

@bookworm & @Pöljä - You may be interested to know that I had my pianist friend play "Just Like Heaven" as the recessional song at my wedding a few months ago :+1:

This is one of my favourite songs ever, and was the processional song at the wedding:

I also really love Bjork

and even some Beyonce

Pöljäbookwormnakazcid

Ambiance has a Lot of good music on yt.

Namadalobster
  • You want cheered up? Japanese or Chinese pop music is impossible to listen to and stay feeling depressed. Confused, maybe. Amazed, certainly. Here's an example of Chinese pop music that will make you long for the seriousness and depth of a Miley Cyrus performance.

silverlobstermmodantepw

:grin: Very cute!

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Normally I listen to a lot of industrial and black mental; but Niyaz is something I like to listen to both when I'm feeling good and when I could use some cheering up. It's beautiful and spiritual and upbeat:

I also love Lady Gaga:

silverCinorjerInvincible_summer
  • Ambiance has a Lot of good music on yt.

I find ambient one of the least frenzied and most calming musics. I am quite happy listening to gurgling water streams or the music of rain forests.

Changing mood by music is a good plan. How skilful for Buddhists? Dunno. The Chisti Dervishes I sometimes hang out with it use it quite skilfully but then they listen to sand falling as if it is a message from the Divine ...

Namada