Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Movies that you enjoy

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Cemetery Man, Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring, Amongst White Clouds, Kontroll, The Seventh Seal, Winter Light, The Holy Mountain, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls, 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Scott Pilgrim, Rocky Horror Picture Show, and 3 Idiots are a few I enjoy.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Also, for unintential laughs, I highly recommend Miami Connection, The Room, and Samurai Cop.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Pöljä said:
    The film is totally rubbish, especially the idiot end. The solution for the overpopulation and the species extinction is to boost the human overpopulation?

It's just a movie - not an answer to the big problems of humanity. B)

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Wow, thanks @Jason for that nice long list of movies.

I've got a movie I haven't even unwrapped - decided to keep it and watch for the Halloween season: Fatal Attraction. Another one that Michael Douglas was in that's similarly dark, but with a humorous bent is War of the Roses.

Hi everybody. I just finished watching Captain Phillips (Tom Hanks) - based on true story - it was suspenseful...enjoyed.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(The REAL Captain Phillips' crew did not take kindly to the interpretation in that movie, apparently.... Hollywood is so good at telling a story, that it often doesn't allow Truth to get in the way... :lol: )

Uh oh. It didn't make some of that crew look very courageous. Could be they told it a little too well for their taste? Ah well, it's just a movie. :3

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2015

Well, actually, no, it's not just a movie. It's a theatrical and somewhat embellished account of an actual occurrence, played in such a way as to give Hollywood its hero and bad guys.
    Hollywood is notorious for twisting tales to make them more appealing and digestible, particularly if they involve Americans...

Look at "The Patriot", look at 'Pocahontas' (Walt Disney is in a class of his own when it comes to fairy-telling the fairy tales!) and look at this lot.

And the commentary here, absolutely cracked me up...

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited October 2015

@silver said:
    It's just a movie - not an answer to the big problems of humanity. B)

Matt Damon is a great actor. The beginning of the film was promising and all the way it's technically superb. But the second half of Elysium was simply... Don't know is there a director's cut of Elysium, but the cuts with happier ends and more family values sell normally better.

silver
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said: Well, actually, no, it's not just a movie. It's a theatrical and somewhat embellished account of an actual occurrence, played in such a way as to give Hollywood its hero and bad guys.

Yeah, and they had American cockneys in Mary Poppins, which was very true to life apart from that. ;)

I didn't see the Patriot (not that I can remember if I did or not)-oh, was that Harrison Ford? I may have but too long ago to recall much. And I most certainly didn't see The Strangers, hadn't even heard of it.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

The Patriot starred Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger.

Nope, didn't see it, then.

• Charlie Wilson's War is pretty good. Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman are always great.
    Also some of Clint Eastwood's movies are excellent. Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, Gran Torino, Unforgiven.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Unforgiven was great. I loved the location they chose, south-western Alberta is beautiful.

@robot said:
    Charlie Wilson's War is pretty good. Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman are always great.
    Also some of Clint Eastwood's movies are excellent. Million Dollar Baby, Mystic River, Gran Torino, Unforgiven.

Unforgiven was great. I saw Gran Torino; Mystic Rivera long time ago.

I think I owned Charlie Wilson's War but donated it to the library - I'll go get it. Right now I'm at least half way through Inglorious Basterds.

• ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but The Big Lebowski makes me laugh hard.

The Bond movies - all of them, for their individual styles and sheer watching attraction....

The latest Bond Movie (Spectre') is likely to be Daniel Craig's last. He has said that he doesn't want to make another, and they're already scouting for his 'replacement'.

They also made a big thing about the fact that the 'love interest' in this 'episode' is nearer his age bracket (Monica Bellucci is 50. She originally thought, when they approached her, that they were looking for a replacement for Judy Dench....!)

The only other prominent Actor to have a love interest/co-star in his age bracket, was Tom Hanks. Most other lead actors have 'wooed' women a great deal younger than them.

I couldn't possibly comment..... :rage:

lobster

@Walker said: The Patriot starred Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger.

I think Mel Gibson got confused in that one, like he was still acting in Braveheart. ;)

Walkersilver

@silver said:Inglorious Basterds.

One of Tarantinos best IMO.

@SpinyNorman said:
    One of Tarantinos best IMO.

Yes! B)

@SpinyNorman said:
    I think Mel Gibson got confused in that one, like he was still acting in Braveheart. ;)

This means I'll have to see one of them (I've chosen Braveheart) - I hear it was a very long movie? But...was it really worth it? :(

Braveheart is worth a watch, but there's a lot of hacking and slashing! They have cockneys playing the English soldiers which is a nice touch.

silver

@SpinyNorman said:
    Braveheart is worth a watch, but there's a lot of hacking and slashing! They have cockneys playing the English soldiers which is a nice touch.

I laugh, but not sure why. O.o

edited October 2015

Anything directed by Ridley Scott.
    Anything directed by David Cameron.
    Most of the stuff directed by Michael Mann.
    Anything with Matt Damon in it.
    Anything with Liam Neeson in it.
    Anything with Jodie Foster in in ( obviously )....

David Cameron? O.o

Ooops! James Cameron. https://film.list.co.uk/listings/james-cameron/

David Cameron must be an actor or something. ;)

silverlobsterperson

So....You're a true blue Tory at heart, really, are you.....? :lol:

Walker

Yeah, that's why I voted for Tony Blair... :0

• Adams Family and Adams Family Values are too fun Halloween movies ...

Whenever I think of this movie, it surprises me that it's not talked about more, because I thought it was a masterpiece of sorts: Swing Kids. Anybody?

Nobody's seen or cared for Swing Kids? Oh well.

I watched Traitor yesterday - kinda long - kinda disappointing but it kept my interest hoping that something would make it worth the wait...sigh I missed it or I didn't see any explanation as to how the main bank robber knew about the safe deposit box ahead of time.

I'm now deciding whether to watch Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (U.S. one) - it might be too much of a downer for me. Even though it's popular, there were mixed reviews on rottentomatoes.com.

@silver, We watched it, (with Daniel Craig) and the depth of his acting ability was admirable. I recommend it, actually, it was handled very well.

I goofed up - the mystery in the bank robber movie was called Inside Man w/Jodie Foster - Traitor was not the name of that movie.

@federica said:
    silver, We watched it, (with Daniel Craig) and the depth of his acting ability was admirable. I recommend it, actually, it was handled very well.

Thanks for commenting, @federica - when I do think of that movie, I can't believe nobody still talks about it - but that's me - I thought it was tremendously exciting in every way.

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited October 2015

Hmm, haven't been out to the movies much lately, so this list is a bit dated.

Magnolia (yes, Tom Cruise can act), Amadeus, Apocalypse Now, Star Wars (the original!), Gandhi, Hotel Rwanda, Aliens, and, um, that's it for now....

EDIT: Oh, yeah, how can I forget Bergman. Add Through a Glass Darkly and Seventh Seal to the list.

Oh god, I haven't been to a theatre in ages. I have seen aliens of course (the movie) - I'm typing in the dark, not using capitals much...Hotel Rwanda was intense. Amadeus was crazy. ;i

• In case this thread is still going, here are my top 3: bergman's the seventh seal, ridley Scott's blade runner and tarkovsky's stalker (classics, I know). Oh and the last really good one I saw is whiplash.

"Memphis Belle" is interesting.

• PöljäPöljä Veteran
    edited October 2015

Saw plenty of films with my ex-wife during the 80's. Bagdad Cafe was so-so artistic but/and I loved it.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited November 2015

Just watched a couple of newer films with Ben Affleck as the main protagonist: The Town and Gone Girl. Both surprised me as quite good crime/thriller films, though the latter had quite a few plot holes. Affleck has really come into his own as an actor/director (he directed The Town).

Also watched The Shining and 28 Days Later on Halloween with my wife. Kubrick has an amazing eye for detail and the cinematography is beautiful on its own. Top-notch performances from Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall. The Shining's soundtrack was also excellent at keeping up the tension; I found that the soundtrack to Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later was too post-rock and not tense enough. I also felt that the disease was not really explained well enough so I couldn't really understand the underlying danger.

• Bagdad cafe is very haunting. It is a mood piece.
    My sort of Halloween film is the absurdist 'Rubber' about a killer tyre.

'Birdman' I enjoyed. I hear 'Suffragettes' is good and look forward to that.

Netflix added The Shining recently - had to watch it - read the book / saw the movie when they first came out - both great. When 28 Days first came out, my son practically insisted we go see it which we did - I resisted taking him, but he was all into zombies then. Zombies = not my thing!

Saw the trailer for Revenant w/Di Caprio - wow, wanna see it...saw him in Shutter Island which was a very interesting tale - he seems to pick these mind-bending story lines.

Netflix had Punch-Drunk Love (Adam Sandler movie), I watched it on advice of someone somewhere a while back - very quirky love story - kept my interest - surprising because I generally don't care a lot about Sandler.

I've just watched the movie Sunshine for the 2nd time.
    I've got Mockingjay Part 1 lined up along with The Pledge (Nicholson) - haven't seen either. Will probably watch Cuckoo's Nest again...am recuperating from the skin infection for which I'm taking an antibiotic - it's totally drained me.

I watched "The Siege" again recently, some good performances.

I think I mentioned this film before... "The Lives of Others" Extremely good, and quite gripping.

• @lobster said:
    I hear 'Suffragettes' is good and look forward to that.

It is good. Finally saw it. Interesting on a number of levels. Suffragettes as terrorists/freedom fighters/feminists and the inequality of the english class system ...

Another recent film I ejoyed for its dark comedy elements was 'Legend' about the Kray twins.

An older film that I watch every so often and enjoy is 'Equilibrium', I am sure they hand this drug out at some Buddhist temples ... It is the outrageous 'Gun Fu' and cleric mentality perhaps ...

Inside Out - a Disney / Pixar animated - awesome. :star:

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited February 2016

Inside Out is AWESOME and a terrific way to help kids understand their feelings and think about them in another way, including the ones we so often label as bad and unimportant.

I enjoy crime thrillers myself, so Seven, the Silence of the Lambs series, that kind of stuff. And mind benders, too, like Inception and Cloud Atlas.

Fast and Furious, all of them except Tokyo Drift, lol, and Gone in 60 Seconds.

Absolutely not Buddhist approved, but Deadpool was so darn hilarious and ridiculous. I am not a big super hero fan, but I truly enjoyed Deadpool and it is the only movie in about 10 years that I will consider going to see again in the theater. And we have to drive 100 miles round trip to get to a theater. Definitely not for children. And if you aren't sure, read reviews before you decide to go because it may make some uncomfortable.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited February 2016

I look forward to seeing 'Deadpool'. Also 'Suicide Squad' when that is out. Very dark but humorous from the trailers I have seen.

'The Revenant' is a stunning piece of cinema. Well deserved awards. I can not say I 'enjoyed it', not that sort of film but riveted and overwhelmed most certainly.